What's new

Adding More Depth To MK

hi,
we all know mk is an easy game. ed boon says he dont like fighting games being too difficult.
so the next mk will be an easy game obviously.
i am thinking which features would add mk more depth while remain easy to learn/play?
what do you think about it?
for me "depth" means that a game provides you a lot of different options (attack-defend) and more tactics.
Attack options:
1- next mk should have 2 different fighting styles (like mkda) this would add a LOT of depth to the game.
2-weapons, like in mk4 every char should have 1 weapon.
3-side step, like in mk4 an side step would add more depth since you will be able to dodge attacks on read. (side step cost 25% of your DEFENSE METER)
4- run, like in umk3.
5- different ultras like in street fighter alpha3.
6-super launcher, with your weapon you should be able to perform an super launcher so you can perform an spectacular and damaging AIR COMBO. (one launcher cost 50% of meter)

Defensive Options:
1- push block, like in igau
2-instant block, is a slightly more advanced version of normal blocking; you must start blocking right before the opponent's attack touches you. benefit is you dont eat chip damage.
3-enhanced defense: press block and one other button and hold. benefit is you dont eat chip damage, pushback increased. as long as you hold the buttons your DEFENSE METER is decreasing. also you can use enhanced defense in the air.
4- knockdown, in mk9 you have several options, thats fine should stay for the next mk.

so now its your turn :)

btw sorry 4 my English

mods feel free to edit if my englisch is too bad :D

Last edited:

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Stances and weapons coming back would be very cool. I would also like some sort of block mechanic. I'm not too picky though if I like the game I'll just play it and adapt to whatever.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I prefer no 3d elements as well. (No sidstep)
Not all characters need weapons, i like how varied they're now, some have combo based on weapons, others don't.
The Dash system is fine, though backdash of MK9 sucks, other half prefers the run system (run jabs have a nice feel).

I think Roundhouse kicks should return as a MB B4 with 2 or 3 invincibility frames, this would add some depth in the game.
Resets like Cage, Sonya and Skarlet should return too, Resets like Cyrax should not exist.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I think Roundhouse kicks should return as a MB B4 with 2 or 3 invincibility frames, this would add some depth in the game.
*Ahem*.... EX B4

Resets like Cyrax should not exist.
NO YOU SHOULDN'T EXIST!

(Oh, and MAPUSA, I believe the term you're thinking of for instant-blocking is "just-guarding," and I actually think that would be a fantastic idea)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
MAPUSA
  1. Though I loved the 3d games (well most of them), I think MK10 should be 2d.
  2. Weapons are fine, but they should be like they are in MK9. The characters should just use them in their normal move sets.
  3. I don't think a run button is needed as dashes are fine. If running were incorportated though, I think double tapping forward and holding it would be good enough.
  4. Multiple x-rays would be cool.
  5. Super launcher? Like in Marvel or something? Nah.
For me, all I think NRS has to do with MK10 is take what they did with MK9, push it further, then take what they have done in Injustice and apply some of that to MK.
  • Push blocks
  • Meter burn AFTER the move has been thrown out
  • Armor moves for everyone
  • More individuallity in the characters (jump archs, character sizes, mobility, basic/air attacks, etc)
  • Hit trades
  • More improvements to Online
Their may be more, but off the top of my head this is what I've got.

One other big change that I'd like to see MK10 though is more defensive options and consequences. Along with push blocks, guard crushes would be nice, and a few more unblockables attacks across the board just to make those who lay on the block button think twice.

On the topic of a block button, Injustice has kind of sold me on the cross-up issue, so MK not having a block button wouldn't affect me too bad. But even so, if it does have a block button, as long as there are more options to punish people who just sit there and block...I'll be happy.

Lastly: Meter, specifically breakers, IMO should be addressed.

Though I'm fine with the way MK9's 3 bar system is, I just think that they need to work to ensure that some characters are more balanced in the meter building department, so that they are just not able to build bar so fast and be able to break everything. I've kind of grown to like the idea of having multiple meters for supers and things (like SF4), so maybe Breakers, push blocks, and guard crushes, could be tied to one meter, while armor, enhaced moves, and x-rays are tied to another? I don't know how that would work out in the end, but I think it is something worth exploring.

Onilordasmodeus

what do you guys say about an "defense meter"?
the more you block (and eat chip damage) the more your defense meter is building.
I actually like this idea, though I have no clue how it would work.

Like I said in my post above, maybe the "defense meter" can be tied to push blocks and breakers, where it would be something like a regenerative meter (similar to some traits in Injustice only universal for everyone and crossed with MK9's meter), where if you "breaker" you take it down by 2/3's, but if you push block it goes down only by 1/3, and every attack that you block straight up, chips away at this meter. If you get caught with no meter you get guard crushed and your opponent gets a free combo. After being guard crushed, your meter jumps up to 50% (or something) so that you can't get continuosly pressured and guard crushed over and over.

To me that sounds cool, but I don't know how it would work in practice.

Wigy

There it is...
I actually like this idea, though I have no clue how it would work.

Like I said in my post above, maybe the "defense meter" can be tied to push blocks and breakers, where it would be something like a regenerative meter (similar to some traits in Injustice only universal for everyone and crossed with MK9's meter), where if you "breaker" you take it down by 2/3's, but if you push block it goes down only by 1/3, and every attack that you block straight up, chips away at this meter. If you get caught with no meter you get guard crushed and your opponent gets a free combo. After being guard crushed, your meter jumps up to 50% (or something) so that you can't get continuosly pressured and guard crushed over and over.

To me that sounds cool, but I don't know how it would work in practice.

Would be sensible to have that considering i get like 15% of my health chipped getting in on a kabal only for him to breaker it with all the meter he's got. My friend had 8 breakers one match... -_-

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Hmm, I think it'd be awesome to have a parry system like Third Strike, push block is definitely a must in the next MK, and universal armored moves is that one thing injustice got right.

Other than that, they should just use the mechanics mk9 had, game was great at a fundamental level.

Also DEPTH.

Onilordasmodeus

Hmm, I think it'd be awesome to have a parry system like Third Strike, push block is definitely a must in the next MK, and universal armored moves is that one thing injustice got right.

Other than that, they should just use the mechanics mk9 had, game was great at a fundamental level.

Also DEPTH.
You know, that would be awesome! Being able to press the block button at the time of an attack to negate chip and maybe (if the defense meter thing is incorporated) even be able to gain that meter with a successful parry. My hype level for a defense meter just went up a bit.

Onilordasmodeus

Can anyone think of a way to have cross-ups AND a block button? I think if this is figured out, MK's depth would jump up immediately.

Crathen

Death is my business
Just guards , parries and such mechanics are just putting more layers just for the sake of depth and it has proven to not be great ( SCV / SF3s ) , honestly i don't know what i would like in the next MK , if the game has cancellable dashes i don't' know if having invincibility on backdash would be a good thing , i can see them expanding the meter system and maybe toning down breakers.

Thing is that you don't need more mechanics just for the sake of saying "this game has depth" , yes having options is good but having way too many variables is just a clusterfuck.

Sidesteps would make no sense and you'll be forced to make it a 3d just like JoJo a 2d fighter on a 3d engine