What's new

Adding More Depth To MK

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I also consider the meter system very good. Adding invincibility to back dash would make some justice to defenders. And not to forget the dial strings. They have uses and are awesome.
Invincibility on backdashes wouldn't work with the dash mechanics. Dashblocking while being invincible? Loooooool.

Also, about 2 meters vs 1, having 1 meter completely trivializes certain aspects, such as X-Rays and MB cancels. 2 would allow you to spread out options between two bars and lessen that trivialization, as well as give you even more room to expand upon options. Like, read some of the ideas I had in my post.

We'll take how this impacts Sonya, for example. With some of those additions in mind, you could give her alterations such as EX cartwheel being projectile invincible only, and making it unsafe. She would lose the ability to safely blow through everything in the sun, but, with the roman cancel, she can spend an extra bar to not only make it safe, but usable for starting pressure or bailing her out on a bad read. You see where I'm getting?

Wigy pointless moves will always exist in fighting games. It's not something that you will always be capable of avoiding.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
They should also have links along with the combo strings. The possibilities of combos and blockstrings would be endless.

Adding new gimmicks or mechanics just ruins the balance and structure of the game. It adds no depth at all, just more complications and things to exploit. Refine the core gameplay instead so that we don't end up with another MK that falls into obscurity.

Wigy

There it is...
Invincibility on backdashes wouldn't work with the dash mechanics. Dashblocking while being invincible? Loooooool.

Also, about 2 meters vs 1, having 1 meter completely trivializes certain aspects, such as X-Rays and MB cancels. 2 would allow you to spread out options between two bars and lessen that trivialization, as well as give you even more room to expand upon options. Like, read some of the ideas I had in my post.

We'll take how this impacts Sonya, for example. With some of those additions in mind, you could give her alterations such as EX cartwheel being projectile invincible only, and making it unsafe. She would lose the ability to safely blow through everything in the sun, but, with the roman cancel, she can spend an extra bar to not only make it safe, but usable for starting pressure or bailing her out on a bad read. You see where I'm getting?

Wigy pointless moves will always exist in fighting games. It's not something that you will always be capable of avoiding.

I know but some are just so stupid. At least make them untechable knockdowns or something if they're un-combo-able and have 30 frames of startup

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I disagree with all this need for deepness. With all said and done, any game always comes down to the best fundamental strategies. And MK9 being simple makes great use of almost all it's elements.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The more depth you try and add to the game the less it becomes MK. That is why I liked it so much, its simplicity.

Making it have parries, just guard and all that other stuff would not make it MK.

They need to fix bugs, add some characters, refine the engine, and improve the netcode and training mode. The only thing I would add from Injustice is push block and maybe universal armor.

I disagree with all this need for deepness. With all said and done, any game always comes down to the best fundamental strategies. And MK9 being simple makes great use of almost all it's elements.
sure for guys how started to play fighting games with mk9 is hard them to explain how one dimensional mk9 actually is.
i would recommend them to play some other games like kof or gg.
if any char would have two different fighting styles this would add a lot of depth. also this was already in a mk game (mkda)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
the main question is: how can the next mk be (stay) simple but with more game depth.
Complexity and simplicity are opposite things. You cant have both.

A lot of what I see in this thread is people taking what they like about other games and trying to force it on MK. Instead what people should do is continue to play those other games, and also MK.

Also FTR MK did have parries like Injustice, it just isnt universal. I think it should definitely stay that way, though I hope they give more paries to defensive and footsie characters.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
sure for guys how started to play fighting games with mk9 is hard them to explain how one dimensional mk9 actually is.
i would recommend them to play some other games like kof or gg.
if any char would have two different fighting styles this would add a lot of depth. also this was already in a mk game (mkda)
IGAU has them. How much of the sword stance do you see from Wonder Woman? Or kali stance from Nightwing? Though they are not that balanced. WW's lasso stance and NW's stick stance are just too good to use the other ones.

THTB

IGAU has them. How much of the sword stance do you see from Wonder Woman? Or kali stance from Nightwing? Though they are not that balanced. WW's lasso stance and NW's stick stance are just too good to use the other ones.
Both stances have MU-specific applications. Like, staff pretty much is a terrible stance vs like GL.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
THTB I feel like MK is aggressive by design; I don't think that's a mistake. People who want to turtle all day and block forever can play other games, but MK is about going for broke, pressuring your opponent and stepping up to fight rather than laming it out (or at least it was supposed to be).

It separates the game from other franchises and gives it its own distinct identity. The "kill or be killed" atmosphere is perfect for the franchise and it suits the storyline and mood.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Just guards , parries and such mechanics are just putting more layers just for the sake of depth and it has proven to not be great ( SCV / SF3s ) , honestly i don't know what i would like in the next MK , if the game has cancellable dashes i don't' know if having invincibility on backdash would be a good thing , i can see them expanding the meter system and maybe toning down breakers.

Thing is that you don't need more mechanics just for the sake of saying "this game has depth" , yes having options is good but having way too many variables is just a clusterfuck.

Sidesteps would make no sense and you'll be forced to make it a 3d just like JoJo a 2d fighter on a 3d engine

I loved them in SCV. They actually separated the good players from the better players sometimes. Players like Signia really had them down and it definitely changed the game.

I also don't like the idea of side steps. Just guarding for the sole purpose of eliminating chip would be awesome though. Imagine having a pixel of life and just guarding for that komeback...

haketh

Noob
I disagree with this. Take a look at games like Guilty Gear, P4A, and Blazblue. Meter in those games covers a ton of options from Guard Cancels, FRCs, RCs, Supers, EX Moves, Pushblock, Parry *Slashback*, and Fautless Defense. Theirs a ton of options there for both offense and defense all governed by one meter and all see a good bit of use in high level play. You just have to balance out those tools and the character tools around them for them to get use.

This is gonna be sacreiliege to some but personally, they need to remove the Universal Jump in Attacks. Alot of character varieity is taken out by having all characters use the same suite of jumping attacks.

THTB

THTB I feel like MK is aggressive by design; I don't think that's a mistake. People who want to turtle all day and block forever can play other games, but MK is about going for broke, pressuring your opponent and stepping up to fight rather than laming it out (or at least it was supposed to be).

It separates the game from other franchises and gives it its own distinct identity. The "kill or be killed" atmosphere is perfect for the franchise and it suits the storyline and mood.
Oh, of course, by design the game is really offensive. But completely screwing you over for actually having the patience to block and wait for mistakes, without lending anything to actually help you in said situations? In most games, blocking something will still at least reward some meter. It basically means if you press buttons more, you win in this.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Ok here's a more srs post because some of you are actually making sense.

No more gimmicks. Don't add shit from Injustice gameplay-wise. Keep it as it is but more refined. The only acceptable change IMO would be a change to the meter system. I think MK9's as it is currently is REALLY GOOD. But it's too simple. It hurts meter-dependant characters who don't have absurd tools.

I say make different characters have different number of bars but have EN, Breaker and XRay on different levels.

Here's an example: Let's take a meter dependant character like Cyrax. Give him 4 bars. EN takes 1, Breaker takes 3 and XRay takes 4. And let's say that he doesn't have resets and he did less damage. He still gets his 40% off his meter. But he doesn't get to do Unbreakable damage unless he saves up for 4. And he doesn't get to Break unless he has 3.

Maybe that was a bad example, let's try another: Kenshi, EN Spirit Charge is stupid. 8f move that's +8 on block, armored and can combo in the corner. Give him 2 bars. So he doesn't get to freely abuse his EN Spirit Charge, and he's fine meterless anyways. But he gets a plus, he now gets his XRay a bar earlier.

You kind of get what I'm saying, right? Hopefully. If someone does, please provide a better example.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Both stances have MU-specific applications. Like, staff pretty much is a terrible stance vs like GL.
But is it worth it? If he had the jump arc from the other stance he wouldn't the other one at all.

THTB

But is it worth it? If he had the jump arc from the other stance he wouldn't the other one at all.
It has more to do with not just the jump arc, but his mobility options in general. He has to advance using a high special to get anywhere, because his dash is too slow in that stance, as well.

It's dependent on the character you're against. Same with WW.

Lemme say what I want in mk10
Less zone well zone is not a v big problem in mk9 but I still hate it so no that make it a bit slower then now and not that safe like kabal zone ffs
And keep the block button but u can't block more then 8 punches u'll get punched so people won't keep blocking and make the gameplay boring to watch
And put the run button back and the dash but make the dash a bit slower then mk9 so the run button will be usefull
Make the combos harder to do
I want to see different styles like mkd and combos between them like the old 3d mk's
Make the breaker can be used only 3 times in the match like mkd better then using them from the meters
4 bar meters r better then 3 and I'd like to see linking a special after pokes so players need to think more after trying to pressure *im not sure about this idea cause it might make the game broken cause mk is different then sf
And I'd like to see multi stages in 1 stage but by uppercuts like umk3
And off topic
What will make me play mk10 10 years without stopping
Is 2 things
1 great online with a lot features + no lag
2 KONQUEST
I'll be ed boon's bitch if he bring konquest back like the mkd one

Sent from. SECRET using Tapatalk

THTB

Lemme say what I want in mk10
Less zone well zone is not a v big problem in mk9 but I still hate it so no that make it a bit slower then now and not that safe like kabal zone ffs
...Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy were the only 3 characters who could even win matches by playing keepaway. Most other distance characters were mid tier or worse.

I understand your dislike for keepaway...but it already wasn't a problem.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
...Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy were the only 3 characters who could even win matches by playing keepaway. Most other distance characters were mid tier or worse.

I understand your dislike for keepaway...but it already wasn't a problem.

Freddy, Kenshi, and Kabal were not problems?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻