What's new

About Rousey's Vocal Performance...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Just glad they did their publicity voice actor on Sonya and not a character I care too much about. Most of her lines are generic and straight forward "military chick" lines anyway so I honestly don't really think it's that bad on most of these, but it seems like there's been a drop in quality since the last game with Sonya's voice.

The real test is going to be the story mode where she's having real conversations and whatnot, the intro dialogues are a little stiff even when you have the all star VAs. I'm not going to lie though, I expected it to be a lot worse.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Yeah, because they totally got Ronda to voice Sonya because she’s an amazing voice actress.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
How long are we going to go on with this? It should be obvious why they chose Ronda over a trained voice actor - PUBLICITY.

It's the same as when WWE brings in some untrained person to work a wrestling match and potentially taking a spot on the show from someone who busted their ass all year - PUBLICITY. Snooki and Maria Menounos have more wins at WresteMania than Bray Wyatt, for example.

After a few weeks of playing the game, you won't even hear her voice anymore. It will be white noise. You'll be done with the campaign and everyone will be skipping intros.

leoj89

Noob
Yeah it's pretty bad even though I understand the reasoning. Seems like a WB decision more than NRS's.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
VA complaints in the franchise that brought you such stellar lines as "gragggghaaannnannama" & "Johnny's in the car" & whatever the hell liu kang says. .
So far its too early to tell...its not omg bad though. but I have seen plenty of articles in mma, sports & , wwe circles about her being in it so the publicity part is for sure working.
maybe she was even cheaper then Tricia, she is a huge fan & could have done it for less just to be a part of it who knows

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I can't help but wonder...
Has Ronda Rousey being Sonya's VA in this game actually brought in any more people to the MK community? Has it brought more sales of the game? More pre-orders?

Has anyone ever expressed "Oh boy, Ronda Rousey as Sonya?! Now I'm definitely going to buy MK11!"

Of course, sales and such is not something we can take into account yet as the game isn't even out yet, but I am kinda curious if Ronda Rousey being Sonya's VA has convinced anyone to get the game...
Her Instagram about the MK reveal has over 500,000 likes (yeah.. 500k), so I think it's pretty safe to say there will be some new eyes on the franchise come release.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsrVaZTHY71/

Whatever you think about her VA, her promotional ability and draw is definitely not in doubt.

Also from a social standpoint, I think it's a pretty big development to have a female at that level of popularity promoting MK (or any fighting game, really). It's always been a male-dominated franchise, and who knows what this could do to help move the gender diversity needle a bit. I think it's important.

Last edited:
Im absolutely positive there are people who will buy the game for her. I guarantee her name will sell far more copies than Tricia Helfer's would, although I thought that her VO was excellent. How many copies sold to Ronda fans before NRS breaks even from her expense and gets all this publicity for free? How many will they sell to Ronda fans past that for revenue they would have never seen? Who knows, Ronda could have even been cheaper than Tricia to begin with. Every angle I look at it is a win in a business sense, and the more money they make the bigger the next budgets will be. This is a good thing in a small dose, I would be singing a different tune if the whole roster was replaced by for promotion at the cost of quality. I'm sure Ed would love to make games just for fans, but all this is the entertainment business and their bottom line is the bottom line.

Besides, there is another active thread claiming no one cares about Sonya. Unless you're a Sonya main (1/25th or whatever of potential mains) then what is the big gripe?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I think a lot of it could be a direction problem. Maybe its just me but I felt a lot of lines in MKX felt like they lacked direction. Like they made sense, and the VAs said them, but didn't quite deliver them in a way that sounded right. Cassie and Jaqui come to mind.

John Grizzly

But did it work?
Would they have gotten more publicity if the old voice actor portrayed Sonya? The answer is a resounding no. So yes, it worked.

I've also never seen one comment on here about how amazing the previous voice actor was for Sonya. Good or bad, there's been nonstop discussion about it on here this time around.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Would they have gotten more publicity if the old voice actor portrayed Sonya? The answer is a resounding no. So yes, it worked.

I've also never seen one comment on here about how amazing the previous voice actor was for Sonya. Good or bad, there's been nonstop discussion about it on here this time around.
And if you watch the interviews, Ronda was nerding out so hard about playing Sonya, it's clear she cares about the game and the character and that's important. Sometimes it's not always about money or fame, a lot of people really love this franchise.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter

I personally have yet to see any positive effect it has brought to the game, hence why I'm asking.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
And if you watch the interviews, Ronda was nerding out so hard about playing Sonya, it's clear she cares about the game and the character and that's important. Sometimes it's not always about money or fame, a lot of people really love this franchise.
Yeah, I think it's pretty cool that she is such a fan, and I think it's cool that the VA for Sonya is/was an actual legit fighter. It might not make her acting any better, but I think it's cool knowing that the VA for Sonya actually knows a thing or two about fighting.

John Grizzly

I personally have yet to see any positive effect it has brought to the game, hence why I'm asking.
There will be some Ronda fans who only buy the game because of her being Sonya. Conversely, there are ZERO MK fans that will not buy this game because she's the voice of Sonya. I really, really don't understand why people are getting so bent out of shape about it.

It's like they hired James Corden to voice Shao Kahn or something.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I don't get it either, but there's a lot of extreme cases of people overreacting to something in this community that I don't understand either. XD
yep, but still manageable here .... try Steam forums and you'll see the ultimate dumbass brainless discussion about anything game related .... rsrsrs

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Yeah... it’s bad.

When she says “how do I earn your respect” to Baraka, it sounds like she’s not even trying.
Definitely the worst line, and the following "Major blade reporting," or something like that. But her taunts seem good, she says "Bitches get Stitches" in one of them and it sounds great, not flat or robotic.

I don't really mind that Rousey is Sonya's VA, the thing is that Sonya's voice on MKX (don't know the name of the actress) fitted the character so well, I just hope it won't give the feeling of being a "different" character. That being said, I can forgive the fact that the voice acting is a bit lacking. Rousey wanted to voice Sonya so bad, if one day I'd have the opportunity to voice a MK character in my language, I'd do it without hesitation. And here a lot of people would say the same thing so... I can't blame her for taking the opportunity lol

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Definitely the worst line, and the following "Major blade reporting," or something like that. But her taunts seem good, she says "Bitches get Stitches" in one of them and it sounds great, not flat or robotic.
Have heard that one yet. I’m just hoping it’s overall not as bad as I’m expecting.