What's new

Question A Potential Use for Sub-Zero's Ice Puddle?

Sometimes when I get a freeze (ground or air), I will do a NJP, 1, b1, 2, 2, 1 and ground freeze (not Ex), wait a split second, crossover jump in to fully charged b2. It catches them as they pull their foot out of the ice, getting a mid air freeze action on the b2. I follow that up with a 1, 2, 1, 4, slide. They can most of the time jump out or wake up attack out of the ground freeze, but sometimes you can catch them offguard if they are not sure what you are doing. Not something you can rely on obviously, but a great feeling when you pull it off because of the high damage.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Just to throw this out there:

Sub-Zero can already dash-cancel his charged b2, so he doesn't need a cancel for his Ice Puddle. Giving a character two moves for him to dash-cancel seems kinda...I dunno, uneven? Not to mention he already has armor for his EX Slide and good offense.

However, I don't think I'd complain if we could cancel a blockstring into an Ice Puddle without being able to dash-cancel the puddle itself. But would that be a little too much to ask for? I'm not quite sure.

Truth

Noob
Just to throw this out there:

Sub-Zero can already dash-cancel his charged b2, so he doesn't need a cancel for his Ice Puddle. Giving a character two moves for him to dash-cancel seems kinda...I dunno, uneven? Not to mention he already has armor for his EX Slide and good offense.

However, I don't think I'd complain if we could cancel a blockstring into an Ice Puddle without being able to dash-cancel the puddle itself. But would that be a little too much to ask for? I'm not quite sure.
At first I was convinced that dash cancelling ice puddle would have no effect on his game, but I think one thing that most people forget is that in order for B2 to actually hit you literally have to be in super close proximity to the opponent. In contrast, the ice puddle allows one to have more distance between SZ and the opponent.

People are also overlooking the crazy amount of setups one could do with a cancellable ice puddle off a slide knockdown. Jump forward would result in 22 AA combo, Jump back would lead to a Ex-freeze, or a slide. However, I think the best theoretical setup would be start up icepuddle, back dash, opponent misses poke then you whiff punish with 22 or 21. :)

IMO only use of puddle is 22/b12/f+4, freeze, NJP, Puddle --> B+2 or infinite
Most people know how to escape B+2 but some of them have no idea about puddle reset

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Ice puddle is good for corner pressure.. if you catch them with a freeze bounce them of the floor 3 times then freeze the floor. If timing is good you can get a reset. Or alternativly, stand in your clone and use it sometimes in the corner.
No it isn't because good players will neutral jump and they can jk you without hitting the clone. Any character with a fast advancing special, or armour, can also see you do enhanced groundfreeze and wakeup attack.

Good idea Blake, I suppose if you have the time to use a regular puddle after an ex freeze you may as well do it sometimes to build meter.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Why do people want to give his useless move a useless option? There are hardly any setups with an ice puddle cancel that would help this character.... not a single one. The ONLY way it would be semi-useful is if it was like Kabals where he could instantly block. If not... the SAME set of moves' would blow him up.

I like the meter building option... I'm trying to do the empty clones off of any b1,2~freeze or 2,2~freeze I get. If I land a clean exFreeze... i'll be doing this. Meter can save you in some games... and Sub's specials build it fast.

I think that everyone has been looking @ the Ice Puddle in the wrong format. I'm working on a Tutorial that should shed some light on the true power of the Ice puddle ;-)

ZtrideRz

Noob
Ice puddle is for resets but it takes pro timing and even then you can get out but people make mistakes. Mix it in sometimes..

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
THIS IS ABOUT METER BUILDING, DO YOU GUYS NEED IT TO BE SPOON-FED TO YOU SWEET JEBUS.

Sub-Zero builds meter quickly three ways.

1.He does the rush-down things he does.
2.The opponent blocks the freeze ball he spits out like seeds.
3.Sub-Zero is getting hit by 9001 projectiles.

ZtrideRz

Noob
"This is the best way to let the other person kill you. I think we're really on to something here."

The fact he lost the match is irrelevant, its the damage he inflicts because of his resets in the corner.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MKBPC6OJ4D4

Watch the end of this video, and tom Brady show you how to use ice puddle. Which i also use online. Not all the time tho.
EX ice puddle can still catch people when they're off guard, but it's really pointless in high level matches. after an NJP (followed by nothing) or a NJP that knocks down, you have enough time (assuming they don't tech or wakeup) to catch them with an ex puddle.. but that was the only use i could find for it

also you can do his reset if you let them unfreeze and fall, but the same factors apply
forgot to say anything about the corner though