What's new

Question A Potential Use for Sub-Zero's Ice Puddle?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
It is widely agreed upon by the majority of our community that Sub-Zero's Ice Puddle is complete shit in this game. I myself believe that much.

But then I fought GuamoKun's Cyber Sub-Zero last week. Whenever he caught me on the ground with an enhanced freeze, he would approach me, do a whiffed bomb cancel like two or three times to build meter, and then go on the offense. Later that evening, I went into Practice Mode with Sub-Zero and I cooked up an idea similar to GuamoKun's tactic.

If you hit somebody on the ground with Sub-Zero's enhanced freeze, you have enough time to whiff one Ice Puddle and still go in to do jump-in punch b1 2 1. But unlike with GuamoKun's tactic or Quan Chi's whiffed trance, you will only be able to do one Ice Puddle just to build meter, given the move's slow start-up. If you try to do more than one, you'll have wasted your chance to attack them while they are open.

I've also come to realize that it takes seventeen Ice Puddles overall to build one bar of meter. I figured that for the purposes of meter-building, this might be something useful. After all, in a game like this that is so heavily dependent upon meter, you'll need all that you can get. What do you have to lose from learning this?

Thought I'd put it out there and leave it up to the judgment of the Sub-Zero community. I picked up the character as a main just recently and I hope to be successful with him, despite how many players are saying he's become a low-tier character.

slide builds more meter (1/12!!!) but riskier since you have to be fullscreen. I was using sz for the first time in ages against aj1701 and i used this tactic. I also use empty ice clones after 22 ice ball. Meter is important man.

Ice puddle is still useless.

EX ice puddle can still catch people when they're off guard, but it's really pointless in high level matches. after an NJP (followed by nothing) or a NJP that knocks down, you have enough time (assuming they don't tech or wakeup) to catch them with an ex puddle.. but that was the only use i could find for it

also you can do his reset if you let them unfreeze and fall, but the same factors apply

ZtrideRz

Noob
Ice puddle is good for corner pressure.. if you catch them with a freeze bounce them of the floor 3 times then freeze the floor. If timing is good you can get a reset. Or alternativly, stand in your clone and use it sometimes in the corner.

Truth

Noob
I have found one use for ex-puddle against Johnny Cage. Anytime during midscreen, if you manage to hit Cage with 224 and then do ex-freeze it sometimes catches him during his wakeup ex-shadow kick. It's not guaranteed since the CPU did sometimes manage to hit me out, but other times I landed the freeze. He could delay his wakeup by laying down, and then jump to get out this trap.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Not a bad idea. But imo, using ex freeze is a waste in most matches because it's so likely to be blocked (unless you're playing against Reptile, Cyrax or a few others). It's a good thing to remember for when the opportunity arises though. You can also punish Cage's X-ray with ice puddle, but that won't happen very often either :(

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Ice puddle is good for corner pressure.. if you catch them with a freeze bounce them of the floor 3 times then freeze the floor. If timing is good you can get a reset. Or alternativly, stand in your clone and use it sometimes in the corner.
Or they can wakeup attack and the invincibility frames will protect them from the ice puddle

Truth

Noob
Not a bad idea. But imo, using ex freeze is a waste in most matches because it's so likely to be blocked (unless you're playing against Reptile, Cyrax or a few others). It's a good thing to remember for when the opportunity arises though. You can also punish Cage's X-ray with ice puddle, but that won't happen very often either :(
If you're going to punish Cage's xray why not simply wait for him to say "Come on" then full combo punish?

Creepy00

Noob
It is too risky, and not worth it during high level play as people above mention. You better set with 22 ice ball, b212, and then start your pressure game, which if you opponent blocks. you will be build more faster.

Seapeople

This one's for you
i know. that wasn't the reset they were referring to though, it was ice puddle because it's supposed to be impossible to freeze twice in a combo
I was just explaining that a raw b2 or ice puddle into b2 both punish Cage's X-ray the same way.

But yeah, the b2 reset is the one that was never meant to be in the game. Taking out the "double freeze reset" was one of the stupidest nerfs NRS gave to Sub imo, and it's the biggest reason he is bottom tier now.

oh, yea i know lol. i'm terrible at doing ice puddle on reaction, especially that sneaky ass xray.

they didn't 'remove' (lolol technicalities) it, it's just not 100% guaranteed anymore, but yea it really smashed his game

I swear people.... This move is useless, and probably be forever be useless. Even if they allow to cancel it, it probably wouldnt help either. Thats like the b2 being used in the middle of the screen. And why would you use ice ground to build meter when you can just shoot an ice ball.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I was using ice puddle sometimes when I was behind the clone and my opponent sitting down blocking waiting for me to rush him down. But rarely I hit him. Anyway, not so useless but kind of...

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I swear people.... This move is useless, and probably be forever be useless. Even if they allow to cancel it, it probably wouldnt help either. Thats like the b2 being used in the middle of the screen. And why would you use ice ground to build meter when you can just shoot an ice ball.
You evidently did not read my post correctly. Please re-read it for clarity.