What's new

A detailed guide on Raijin Raiden - Strategy, Kombos, Baiting, and Ranked Matches

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
It's just not a good stagger in the traditional sense.

But because of how the system works, f3 flawless block is really good.

Raijin used to be way more threatening bwhen he had 4f discharge to punish d1s etc too. But they decided to take out the fun and give home combos.

I am really sad I didn't flesh out old raijin in time.
Unfortunately he only gets around 17% meterless after flawless block launch if you amp storm cell then you can break into high 20s but in the end I feel it uses a lot of resources.

First off, if you got 17 for every meter you used you would be golden. Think about every time you amped a lightning bolt. If it was 17 percent and unblockable. Plus you get wall carry.

But really it's to open your options. If they are afraid to D1 after f3 stagger then it becomes a godlike stagger. That's why I loved old raijin, it completely petrified opponents when they couldn't poke after f4 or f3 etc.

The mental damage of getting flawless punished is huge, especially in a tournament environment when every hit counts.

But it is a playstyle decision, I prefer to utilize my meter as fast as I can as long as it makes a 60 damage difference it is worth it for me per meter.

Qc is actually really easy to get out imo. Even in neutral it is hard to punish if you just feint every now n then. Also after any combo ender you get it free.

So obv not scorpion. Jaqui can do it max distance pretty easily and relentlessly. Liu Kang you can trade a fireball if he is machine gunning them. But if he is that means you are getting to walk in for free.

Any knockdown at that point will open it up in those exact match ups.

@STB Sgt Reed testing out f32 - QC. You have enough time to do pressure or get space.
Can also do f3~QC and be at 0.
Also, not to be that guy, but I made a post back on page 1 that has all this information.

True df2 buff is a good enough reason to play it over thunderwave.
I've always really liked Summoned Lightning so all of this is going swell for me.

Now if only we can get Lightning Strike resurrected...

Last edited:
So this is what Im doing with Raijin (just starting using raiden)

Using B12 with electric burst on reaction on block on hit go into down back 4
Using B1 overhead, with B1 downback 4 for low mixup, also using b31, and b31 downback 4 on reaction
BnB: DB4, F2, 12, electric fly
Corner: DB4 2,243 DB2

Is this okay? or what am I missing

Using B1 overhead, with B1 downback 4 for low mixup, also using b31, and b31 downback 4 on reaction

That'll do, pig.

Against males you can end the BnB with summoned lightning for a bit more damage mid screen, but otherwise I don't see any reason not to take them to the corner instead.
As for the corner combo you can get db4, 3, 243~db2 for a bit more damage (14) but it's a tighter link.
Apart from that you're doin the Raijin.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
That'll do, pig.

Against males you can end the BnB with summoned lightning for a bit more damage mid screen, but otherwise I don't see any reason not to take them to the corner instead.
As for the corner combo you can get db4, 3, 243~db2 for a bit more damage (14) but it's a tighter link.
Apart from that you're doin the Raijin.
I find the F3, 243 link hard, is it tight like F2 into 12~fly? Or do I just have to hit 243 earlier

All good stuff. He can control space really well in Raijin. I use S4 xx BD2 for anti-air and DB4 wit Her QC on to zone full screen.

I'm doing f3 / b2 1 df2 all day. I tried sometimes to after doing df2 on block, keeping pressure with b2 1....and I got it. I don't know if this is a frame trap or the opponent was just pressing wrong buttons.

I need to know if there is a safe string on block to activate the quick charge. I knew 12 was before the patch, but now....

RemainSolid

It don’t always be like it is... but it do.

In the corner DB4 AMP F2 D1 243 DB2 does more.

Okay so I just spent my day finding all the gaps in every characters' strings and pokes that can be punished by Discharge. This includes some cancels into noteworthy special moves, such as anything Sub-Zero tries to do into Ice Ball for example. Some of it will be redundant info but I wanted to include as much as I could.
It's a crude list I threw together in notepad, so if anyone wants to organize it into something easier to read, such as a spreadsheet, that would be appreciated (I'm tired and didn't think of it).

The list includes kustom attack strings that can be equipped, but they aren't labeled.
If there's any questions for clarity or something I missed please let me know.

We sure lost a lot of sick punishes when Discharge became 6f, but I try not to think about it.

Attachments

Last edited: