What's new

A detailed guide on Raijin Raiden - Strategy, Kombos, Baiting, and Ranked Matches

Wanna learn how to kick ass with Raijin Raiden? Well you've come to the right place my friends!

Too many youtubers early on didn't really give Raijin a proper chance, in my humble opinion. They misunderstood how to really bring out the best in his playstyle; partially because he plays very different from Thunder Wave.

This guide goes into detail on how to effectively blend together all of his unique moves to put constant pressure and nasty counters on your opponent. Also, details on certain corner combos, damage scaling on specific moves of his, and ranked matches at the end.

Now get out there and train! Peace!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Thanks for making this, I'm learning Raijin so hopefully this should help.

I noticed you seem to end a lot of block strings with Electric Current, but that move is -27 on block. Then were a couple other times where you simply did some raw Electric Fly (-23) or strings with Electric Burst (-13). I feel like these moves might work on someone who doesn't know the matchup, or doesn't know their punishes, but what do you do when the opponent does know their punishes?

Also, is there a reason you weren't going for more F3's? F3 is an 11 frame mid, +15 on hit, -6 on block. It can be followed up with 2 for the F32 string, which is also -6 on block, and on hit it jails his 243 string, or sets up his other mid/low strings.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I feel like a big part of his strategy is hit confirming combos into Electric Fly to put the opponent in the corner as often as possible. That would seem to open up his B2 game, and it's where he gets the most damage. Mid Screen he seems to struggle, and I'm not sure how well he can out zone since both Electric Current and his lighting bolt move are 20+ frame startup.

My initial thoughts on a gameplan for him would be revolving heavily around landing/setting up F3 to set up his other strings/throws, with the focus being on pushing the opponent to the corner while getting a chance to power up his discharge, and then using discharge as soon as possible, either as a punish or for a corner combo. Trying to play the trade/projectile game with Electric Current to enforce a projectile/anti-air mixup seems pretty situational.

I expected Discharge to be used a lot more often in real matches. I don't think I saw you use it?
Lol, yeah, in those specific matches I didn't use it too much, but in most matches I definitely use it often (I have more recent matches that I haven't uploaded yet on my channel showing my usage of it)... it's a VERY useful tool, especially against heavy pressure fighters like Jax, Jacqui, Sonya and Garrus.

Thanks for making this, I'm learning Raijin so hopefully this should help.

I noticed you seem to end a lot of block strings with Electric Current, but that move is -27 on block. Then were a couple other times where you simply did some raw Electric Fly (-23) or strings with Electric Burst (-13). I feel like these moves might work on someone who doesn't know the matchup, or doesn't know their punishes, but what do you do when the opponent does know their punishes?

Also, is there a reason you weren't going for more F3's? F3 is an 11 frame mid, +15 on hit, -6 on block. It can be followed up with 2 for the F32 string, which is also -6 on block, and on hit it jails his 243 string, or sets up his other mid/low strings.
Indeed, I do actually use the F3 pretty often; just so happens that I didn't quite use it super often in these specific matches. By "Electric Fly" you're referring to the Superman Fly right? Yeah, truth be told, it's a high risk move in general, but then again Raiden as whole is high risk, high rewards type of fighter. A raw Superman is definitely punishable, but that's why mind games are important. Same with the low Electric Staff (Current), it is punishable, but I can land it over and over again on good opponents because I'm always baiting them to feel comfortable at a distance (where they THINK it won't reach, and them BOOM... It connects.)
The beauty of staff also is that I can mix up a combo that normally doesn't have a low attack.

After they get hit by the Electric Current often, they usually wanna start jumping over it, which is EXACTLY what I want them to do... they fall right into my DB2 amplified.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Thanks for this. Now I finally know how to make Electric Current release a low projectile.

My problem with Raijin is that its combo ability is very low. I like being creative in fighting games and finding out my own combos, but Raijin is so limited in that department. Heck, i find Thunder Wave limited too. It makes me miss Thunder God Raiden in MKX that much more, with his magnificent lightning strings and the many different ways to combo.

Thanks for this. Now I finally know how to make Electric Current release a low projectile.

My problem with Raijin is that its combo ability is very low. I like being creative in fighting games and finding out my own combos, but Raijin is so limited in that department. Heck, i find Thunder Wave limited too. It makes me miss Thunder God Raiden in MKX that much more, with his magnificent lightning strings and the many different ways to combo.
Yeah man, the MK11 Raidens generally have shorter combo strings than before. Just keep in mind though, combo are not always the only thing to consider in the grand scheme of things. Playing Raijin is basically a tradeoff of certain strengths... less mid screen combo damage, but more Mixups, a way better Anti Air, and a powerful Counter attack.

ValeDJ

Noob
As a Raijin player myself, the one thing I want is for a fully charged db3 to stay charged after a KB. Apart from (potentially) getting big boy damage (especially if you're closing out a match with a FB on top), I can't see the logic. Raijin has to rely on staggers, spacing, reads and a lot of the opponent not knowing the mix up after b1. It's a small buff request, but I feel its harsh applying the db3 again after a knock down or ending with df2 or db2 once you've used a KB/FB. Off the top of my head, but I cant remember if an opponents KB/FB makes the charge disappear.

ValeDJ

Noob

You can do some bigger combos in the corner. You just need to get the opponent into the corner to begin with, and have db3 fully charged to put the mind games on.

I have managed to db4 amplify on trip guard for a bigger pop up midscreen, which gives you few more frames to connect b12 bf3/db2/df2. I have yet to try to restand after the b12 with discharge fully charged, it might be tight with spacing, but I'm sure mid screen its possible...

DC King

Noob
Against pressure based strings...its massive. You throw this out after they think they have the advantage, and they have to stop and think twice about pressure.
Use it against 1 string Liu Kang players and watch how their whole game plan change. It’s hilarious

As a Raijin player myself, the one thing I want is for a fully charged db3 to stay charged after a KB. Apart from (potentially) getting big boy damage (especially if you're closing out a match with a FB on top), I can't see the logic. Raijin has to rely on staggers, spacing, reads and a lot of the opponent not knowing the mix up after b1. It's a small buff request, but I feel its harsh applying the db3 again after a knock down or ending with df2 or db2 once you've used a KB/FB. Off the top of my head, but I cant remember if an opponents KB/FB makes the charge disappear.
Yeah, sadly it does go away after ANY "cinematic" attack move (that applies to usage of the map background weapons too). Meanwhile, Jax automatically GAINS his fired up arms whenever he lands a Krushing Blow, lol... as if he wasn't strong enough already.

Regardless though, Raijin Raiden all day homie! Working my way up to Grandmaster on Season 2 as we speak...

Firstly, thank you for your thread and video. We need more Raijin players.

A few things,
Quick Charge being the vital tool that it is for this variation makes it really important to include safe ways to apply the buff on hit. From hard/far knockdowns such as sweep, Electric Burst, f32, db2, Amplified Discharge, f throw, etc.

(feel free to paste this into the opening post for visibility)
Strings and pokes that cancel into Quick Charge safely on hit:
12 (+3)
d4 (+3)
24 (+1)
f3 ( 0 )
b3 ( 0 )
f1 (-2)
f11 (-2)
f2 (-2)
b1 (-2)
b12 (-3)
f4 (-5) (punishable only by another Raiden with Discharge)
b31 (soft knockdown but good spacing)

Here's a slightly more damaging b2 corner combo:
b2 KB, 32, d1, 243~db2 - 462 (489 1 bar)

Also, thank you for mentioning the huge scaling on 21; I don't see this being pointed out enough.

As for the language you're using I just want to mention that Discharge causes a restand, not a reset. Mind, you can reset afterwards if you want with 12~db3 or just mix them, but I think it's an important distinction.
I think it should also be noted that when Quick Charge is loaded with 3 hits it becomes Discharge, so being fully charged is implicit.

For smooth training purposes instead of having the dummy jab you 3 times, just get them to wait briefly at the start of the recording and then use a simple 3-hit string like Sub's 124. Gives enough time to apply QC and block the string to charge it up, then blast'em. Also helps to set position reset options to Close.

Lastly I'd just like to suggest tightening up your presentation a bit in regards to matching what you're discussing with what we're seeing a little better.

Last edited:

ValeDJ

Noob
Think I got lucky, but I played a scorpion the other day, they tele'd on block, and as he amplified, I accidentally released the quick charge, which beat his amplified teleport on block. I dont remember if he delayed the amplify, but I'll give it a test this evening to see what other moves and strings Raijin can punish. Might take a while, but it would he worth it.

ValeDJ

Noob
Yeah, sadly it does go away after ANY "cinematic" attack move (that applies to usage of the map background weapons too). Meanwhile, Jax automatically GAINS his fired up arms whenever he lands a Krushing Blow, lol... as if he wasn't strong enough already.

Regardless though, Raijin Raiden all day homie! Working my way up to Grandmaster on Season 2 as we speak...
This sucks haha. You're right, considering it's his main tool, it just makes sense to let him keep the buff after those animations.

New patch stuff.

Sub in whatever other starters you want:

Mid Screen (Female OK)
f4~db4, f2, 12~db2 = 345 dmg 1 bar
f4~db4, f2, 12~fly = 335 dmg 1 bar and corner carry

Mid Screen (Men Only)
b31~db4amp*, f2, 12~db2 = 339 dmg (fly for girls, 329)

* b31 will not launch in the corner, either start the combo slightly away from the corner or just cancel from b3 instead.

Corner (Female OK)
f4~db4amp, f3, 243~db2 = 364dmg 1 bar (390 2 bars)
f4~db4amp, f3, 243~df2 = 343dmg and hard knockdown 1 bar

Sad part is none of the Raijin changes can be used in KB combos.

Last edited:

ValeDJ

Noob
Those Raijin corner restand combos don't work anymore?
No :( - but you still gain the restand at +5...so I guess they felt he needed midscreen damage. It makes sense, as it was hard enough to get the buff, corner carry with Electric Fly and condition with a b2 mindgame to get the discharge combos going.

Also, an amplified db4 is a Low/Mid now and not Low/Low, but with the threat of getting 30% off one bar midscreen, it gives him some loose mix up off b1.