What's new

Video/Tutorial 70%-90% Reset Tech with The Joker, by Qwark28

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So, I was recently experimenting with Joker's 213 and I found some interesting properties and setups in general. Here's the vid, I will explain what happens since the training mode is horrible for recording in this game as well.

First recorded clip - The setup. Huge hard knockdown and teeth, also have time to jump and have it a safe one.

Second - The setup you'll be doing that is unblockable. This also beats Lightning charge which is huge considering that only multi htiting wakeups can escape the hard knockdown > teeth> MB F3 setups when done properly. Lightning charge will be reversed, it won't be hit by J2 since it is a wakeup and it will not hit Joker because he's airborne and the Lightning charge does not have an airborne hitbox that high, not even when MBed when done correctly. That means Teeth will launch and you get a B3 combo. If they don't wakeup this will always hit them unless they do a backdash but that's ridiculously difficult since you only have about 2-3 frames to do so and can still be punished.

Third - VS Nightwing, the setup will not do max damage if nightwing does a staff spin, the first 2 hits will hit you and he will be launched by teeth since wakeups are reversed, flying grayson will be hit by J2 since it is not invincible. You can then punish staff spin with 323 flower for 25%.

However, you can full combo punish staff spin with just a max height NJ3, normally you would not get a combo after it but you've laid teeth down and they will launch him, Same thing with flying grayson but less damage for beating that.

This is huge because it gives guaranteed corner damage vs almost everyone.

All clips after that show the crossup properties of sweep. Joker's sweep is unique in the aspect of crossing people up. If you hit someone with a sweep at a certain range you can choose to cross them up or not.

Crossup - Ignores wakeups. Done by doing J2 late

Fake crossup - Done by doing J2 early.

I'm finding more tech by the day.

OmegaK
Metzos
StevoSuprem0
Gilbagz
Cat
lorenzo
MetaSkipper
B W1zZ
laudanum09
AK-Israel
AK elitegoomba
Dr Jackal
Zyphox
FixdSwine
@gianqtipz
Gysbert
Wild Card
Ren21
AA25Mamba
snort
x5STAR

Attachments

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Nice the corner stuff is kinda similar to what Cat/Check came up with. The teeth cause the 2,1,3 to hit super high up, giving like an ultra hard knockdown. You can optimise the damage by doing j2 teeth after the d2 teeth. Gives the same effect. Good to finally have a proper explanation though cuz Cat's vid only went over it briefly.
The only thing I don't like is giving up the corner by crossing up into the corner. Yes you do get damage but you let them out of the corner, and against some characters, e.g. nightwing, its horrible as hell trying to chase him down. Imo nighting vs joker is his hardest match up in terms of pure zoning. Have to rush him down, and rushing down nightwing plays directly into his hands.
Cool set up regardless. I mainly use it to get the synchronised mb f3.
My main corner set up is ex rlg d2 teeth j2 teeth 3,2 teeth 3,2, teeth.
Gives you enough time to mb f3 and do a neutral meaty j3. Although they can tech roll to mess up the timing. They can't won't avoid the it though, it just stops the teeth from relaunching correctly. Wake ups will blow up the jump most of the time though, which is where the mb f3 comes in to get them off the wake up( minus multi hit wake ups).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Nice the corner stuff is kinda similar to what Cat/Check came up with. The teeth cause the 2,1,3 to hit super high up, giving like an ultra hard knockdown. You can optimise the damage by doing j2 teeth after the d2 teeth. Gives the same effect. Good to finally have a proper explanation though cuz Cat's vid only went over it briefly.
The only thing I don't like is giving up the corner by crossing up into the corner. Yes you do get damage but you let them out of the corner, and against some characters, e.g. nightwing, its horrible as hell trying to chase him down. Imo nighting vs joker is his hardest match up in terms of pure zoning. Have to rush him down, and rushing down nightwing plays directly into his hands.
Cool set up regardless. I mainly use it to get the synchronised mb f3.
My main corner set up is ex rlg d2 teeth j2 teeth 3,2 teeth 3,2, teeth.
Gives you enough time to mb f3 and do a neutral meaty j3. Although they can tech roll to mess up the timing. They can't won't avoid the it though, it just stops the teeth from relaunching correctly. Wake ups will blow up the jump most of the time though, which is where the mb f3 comes in to get them off the wake up( minus multi hit wake ups).
This is nothing like cat/checks findings regarding knockdown duration and it should not be changed for optimal damage.

The setup works BECAUSE you do these exact moves in the combo, these are the only things which give that much hitstun, everything else will not work. This is not the usual shitty setups that are conditional, this is different and utilises hard knockdowns the best. Altering this would give much less hitstun and would ruin the setup.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
But i thought he sucked? LOL this is a nice find, now jokers are just gonna have to learn how to pressure to the corner. Are there even any high level joker players?

So, I was recently experimenting with Joker's 213 and I found some interesting properties and setups in general. Here's the vid, I will explain what happens since the training mode is horrible for recording in this game as well.

First recorded clip - The setup. Huge hard knockdown and teeth, also have time to jump and have it a safe one.

Second - The setup you'll be doing that is unblockable. This also beats Lightning charge which is huge considering that only multi htiting wakeups can escape the hard knockdown > teeth> MB F3 setups when done properly. Lightning charge will be reversed, it won't be hit by J2 since it is a wakeup and it will not hit Joker because he's airborne and the Lightning charge does not have an airborne hitbox that high, not even when MBed when done correctly. That means Teeth will launch and you get a B3 combo. If they don't wakeup this will always hit them unless they do a backdash but that's ridiculously difficult since you only have about 2-3 frames to do so and can still be punished.

Third - VS Nightwing, the setup will not do max damage if nightwing does a staff spin, the first 2 hits will hit you and he will be launched by teeth since wakeups are reversed, flying grayson will be hit by J2 since it is not invincible. You can then punish staff spin with 323 flower for 25%.

However, you can full combo punish staff spin with just a max height NJ3, normally you would not get a combo after it but you've laid teeth down and they will launch him, Same thing with flying grayson but less damage for beating that.

This is huge because it gives guaranteed corner damage vs almost everyone.

All clips after that show the crossup properties of sweep. Joker's sweep is unique in the aspect of crossing people up. If you hit someone with a sweep at a certain range you can choose to cross them up or not.

Crossup - Ignores wakeups. Done by doing J2 late

Fake crossup - Done by doing J2 early.

I'm finding more tech by the day.

OmegaK
Metzos
StevoSuprem0
Gilbagz
Cat
lorenzo
MetaSkipper
B W1zZ
laudanum09
AK-Israel
AK elitegoomba
Dr Jackal
Zyphox
FixdSwine
@gianqtipz
Gysbert
Wild Card
Ren21
AA25Mamba
snort
x5STAR
why not just talk in the video and tell us whats going on? would be so much easier

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
really nice, and nasty. joker is good. imo the only thing holding him back is his mobility. im going to cry when Gilbagz uses this on me ;_;

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
But i thought he sucked? LOL this is a nice find, now jokers are just gonna have to learn how to pressure to the corner. Are there even any high level joker players?
He does suck. One good find does not un do a character's fundamental problems.

MagicMan357

He does suck. One good find does not un do a character's fundamental problems.
I know, its just hes not nearly as bad as people have been making him out to be. He has the same issues shazam does but just like him, when you can condition your opponents with legit starts, they're beast. Thats some ridiculous stuff you gotta admit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I know, its just hes not nearly as bad as people have been making him out to be. He has the same issues shazam does but just like him, when you can condition your opponents with legit starts, they're beast. Thats some ridiculous stuff you gotta admit.
He IS as bad as people say, he only has 2 setups, literally. The character is bottom 2 and if you play him for even a week or so you'll see why. He has 7 3s out of the ass and his jumping around like a bunny fishing for + on block J3s does not work when people know how to block crossups and get out of his "pressure".

A common misconception that joker is not that bad happens from people who fall for his gimmicky setups online, we've all been saying joker is shit and I in particular played joker a week before release and tried to find shit but even as a MK9 subzero main ive never played such a bad character.

He's good at some points, but usually those points rarely come at a high lvl offline. You have to majorly outplay people to win with him, I had no problem with 7-3s in MK9 but here it's ridiculous considering some of the tools the cast has that he doesn't. As a character he's fine, from a dirt vs dirt perspective thought he sucks.

Can't open people up, projectile not suited for zoning or counterzone, can't get in, no mobility.

He's bottom 2.

I play Joker on and off and I can tell you its like climbing the largest and steepest mountain to corner anyone. Then when you do, you're like having a picnic on aforementioned mountain peak. Against quality competition, might've taken a bit of damage on the climb, but it was worth it because you're bodying the guy/girl. Then comes the end round. You go back in, and you might get to the top, might not... that GL player is going to get it and then wager... now you're all the way over there... then you get beat... then you go to TYM and make a thread about buffing joker in which you then say give him a slide like KF NRS. Heneedsit.

He IS as bad as people say, he only has 2 setups, literally. The character is bottom 2 and if you play him for even a week or so you'll see why. He has 7 3s out of the ass and his jumping around like a bunny fishing for + on block J3s does not work when people know how to block crossups and get out of his "pressure".

A common misconception that joker is not that bad happens from people who fall for his gimmicky setups online, we've all been saying joker is shit and I in particular played joker a week before release and tried to find shit but even as a MK9 subzero main ive never played such a bad character.

He's good at some points, but usually those points rarely come at a high lvl offline. You have to majorly outplay people to win with him, I had no problem with 7-3s in MK9 but here it's ridiculous considering some of the tools the cast has that he doesn't. As a character he's fine, from a dirt vs dirt perspective thought he sucks.

Can't open people up, projectile not suited for zoning or counterzone, can't get in, no mobility.

He's bottom 2.
Summed him up perfectly.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
This is nothing like cat/checks findings and it should not be changed for optimal damage.

The setup works BECAUSE you do these exact moves in the combo, these are the only things which give that much hitstun, everything else will not work. This is not the usual shitty setups that are conditional, this is different and utilises hard knockdowns the best. Altering this would give much less hitstun and would ruin the setup.
Ahh i see. I'll test it out properly when i get home.

Wasted

Noob
Nightwing players will almost always stance cancel back to Escrima if Staff Spin is blocked. How does this setup work against that?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Nightwing players will almost always stance cancel back to Escrima if Staff Spin is blocked. How does this setup work against that?
The staff spin never is completed. The NJ setup keeps them in the corner and the NJ will knock them into the teeth before they even complete the staff spin. The other setup has NW hit you with the first 2 hits and get launched mid spin where you can still combo up to 25%.

I believe the first situation is a 55% combo.

MagicMan357

He's bottom 2.
damn