What's new

Strategy 6 things I'd like to share with new Sub-Zero players.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Those are things that came with time and experience. Sub-Zero is the only character I've played seriously since the day 1 of MK9. My intentions here are only to help other players who are also interested in playing/learning Sub-Zero.

1) - The first thing you need to know and use very effectively as Sub-Zero is 2,2. It's fast, it's safe on block, it's anti-air. With that been said this it's one of the your best tools to use as a Sub-Zero player.

2) - Down + 4 is another interesting tool to use. I strongly believe Sub-Zero's D4 is one of the best pokes of the entire game. It has great range, fast recovery and you can even make a Ice Clone out of it. Sub-Zero's D3 is pretty standard, but good for closer ranges and faster recovery, it does like no damage tho.

3) - Sub-Zero Bread n' Butter kombos may sound a little weird at first (visually speaking) but there's a reason for this: as a Sub-Zero player your objective is to drive your opponent to the corner. Always. His kombos are the basic way to do it since they tend to push the opponent more and more to the corner. Did you freeze your opponent with Ice Blast or Ice Clone? Jump over if you have to, but always kombo from the right side to push even more you opponent to the corner.

4) - Every time you and your opponent jump and you hit him (with punch) remember to punish with dash~2,2~Slide or if that's still kinda hard you could just slide. Don't waste opportunities like this.

5) - Well once I have my opponent at the corner what do to? Well, theres nothing much to do if he/she can teleport out of the corner, that's a well know fact by any experienced Sub-Zero player. l-o-l If he can't teleport out that's where the fun starts! First thing you need to know is to avoid slide @ the corner kombos unless it's going to kill your adversary. The reason for not using slide at the corner is because if you do it gives little to no time to pop a Ice Clone after kombos. That been said, once you have your opponent at the corner and the Ice Clone is up keep pressure with 2,2. Most opponents tend to jump over the Ice Clone or just keep back jumping trying to avoid your attacks and 2,2 is a pretty decent anti-air tool, like I already said before. Make sure to Ice Blast if the 2,2 hits your opponent. No need to rush here: the hit confirm on 2,2 gives you enough time to react (if it hits) and finalize it with Ice Blast. What if this dude isn't jumping? I this case I like to use the Foward 4 + Ice Blast (Spartan Kick, it's a overhead). You can mix F4, Ice Blast and F4, slide to make things harder to predict. FF > throw is also a mindfuck move in this case scenario against most adversaries. Last but not least don't make the setups I've said rules. Use imagination and do your own mindfuck setups. The more "arsenal" you have in your sleeves, the better.

6) You just frozen your opponent and he is about to die what do to? But wait, he has 2 enchanced bars and can break out of kombos. Well, then you can just re-freeze him to get the kill for 4% damage out of double freezing his fatass. Or you could wait him to be ice free and throw to get 12% damage. Many think that the secret to play Sub-Zero is playing safe. I'd say it's playing smart.

Sorry for my english. I'm brazilian, so my english isn't perfect. I just hope you can understand what I'm trying to say here. lol :)

Edit: I'm going to add tip number 7, since it's something I don't see many Sub players using.

7) Wake up Ice Clone is outstanding, since it has good invincibility at the startup frames. Most Sub-Zero players use it with the intention of freezing their opponent. But I like to use it sometimes even if my adversary is at close range and I don't want to risk waking up with slide ('Cause he could block and I'm going to eat a full kombo after). The Clone won't come out, but basically you won't get hit either because of it's invincibility proprieties. Plus Sub-Zero does that little back jump what gives you space to breath and think what to do next. Use it with caution: if your opponent read that you going to wake up with Ice Clone he could jump and you're going to eat a full kombo.

rdw

Be cool...
You forgot to mention dont random slide and dont let the opponent put you in their mind games, subzero is the one that should put the mind game on.

Dont rush recklessly just because you dont have the life lead, subzero gotta "keep it cool" at all times!

Ps. Mandou bem, ficou bem explicado pra quem vai começar com o char agora.

Theme

Noob
You forgot to mention dont random slide and dont let the opponent put you in their mind games, subzero is the one that should put the mind game on.

Dont rush recklessly just because you dont have the life lead, subzero gotta "keep it cool" at all times!

Indeed. Always play mind games. I was playing sub Zero earlier yesterday and I got owned by a Cage because I for flustered once time was running out so I started to do a couple random slides and ate a few resets because of it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

I dunno. Random slide is pretty good online. I don't play sub but any time I try to react to a random slide online it gets me every time. I don't know if it's because my connection is crap or if that's just how online works.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR

Thanks and I totally agree! :) Slide is good (and it's going to get even better with shield in incoming patch) but you have to know when to use it.

Sub-Zero is one of the best character in the game to make baits with the Ice Clone. Like you said you gotta "keep it cool". If you're the kind of person who explodes in anger when you lose... well, then you might have troubles playing SubZ. :p

I dunno. Random slide is pretty good online. I don't play sub but any time I try to react to a random slide online it gets me every time. I don't know if it's because my connection is crap or if that's just how online works.
Yeah, I wouldn't know about online. I tried it at Live... tried it at PSN... But it just suck everywhere. The only good online gameplay that I experienced was against a friend of mine who actually lives in the same city that I live. lol

But yeah, online and offline gameplay are pretty different in this game, what makes me avoid the online gameplay. :(

Wow these tips I was expecting simple things (Don't slide randomly!), these actually even apply to me to a point, damn son. I just hadn't thought about some of them (no sliding in corners because it alleviates pressure, etc.)

Thank you greatly! I'll take these to heart!

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Good tips. Ive been using most of em. Never thought of number 6 though :) thanks for that!

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Wow these tips I was expecting simple things (Don't slide randomly!), these actually even apply to me to a point, damn son. I just hadn't thought about some of them (no sliding in corners because it alleviates pressure, etc.)

Thank you greatly! I'll take these to heart!
I'm glad you like it! I'll try to post some vids of me against some friends of mine just for the fun's sake. One of my friends main Ermac, I bet you going to like it, Shadow! Playing against him gives me headaches sometimes! Hahahah! :D

Good tips. Ive been using most of em. Never thought of number 6 though :) thanks for that!
Yeah, we all know about this one, but we just have to remember this when the time comes, right? ;)

Nice post by the way. Essas dicas são muito boas.
Valeu, velho!

Panque

Random foreign guy
Gotta say thanks a lot!

I don't have the game yet, but it'll arrive soon and I plan on maining Sub, so these tips are really usefull

TYM Brazilian invasion FTW.

iin regareds to random slides..its not very random but after i get knockdowns i like to do 1 or 2 back to back slides depending on how i read my oppenet and it sorta baits a crouch block and i give the an > 4 freeze....usaly gets them every time you know use them subby mind tricks lol

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
iin regareds to random slides..its not very random but after i get knockdowns i like to do 1 or 2 back to back slides depending on how i read my oppenet and it sorta baits a crouch block and i give the an > 4 freeze....usaly gets them every time you know use them subby mind tricks lol
Wakeup slide is awesome once you read you opponent well and use it correctly. It has great invincibility at the startup frames! Wakeup Ice Clone is also outstanding, since it also has good invincibility at the startup frames. Even if your adversary is at close range and you don't want to risk waking up with slide ('Cause he could block and you're going to eat a full kombo after), the Clone won't come out, but basically you won't get hit either because of it's invincibility proprieties and plus Sub-Zero does that little back jump what gives you space to breath and think what to do next.

do you have to dash after hitting them in the air to land 2,2 or 2,2,slide or just slide?
Your question made me remember that I forgot to mention something: it only works if you hit them in the air with PUNCH. That been said, in order to hit 22~Slide you need to dash.

If you prefer just to slide no dash is required. ^^

SpyderJ

Noob
Great post, all the suggestions are perfect for new, average, and even experienced players who may not be implementing some of this into their play. All of it is great stuff to be aware of.

Wakeup slide is awesome once you read you opponent well and use it correctly. It has great invincibility at the startup frames! Wakeup Ice Clone is also outstanding, since it also has good invincibility at the startup frames. Even if your adversary is at close range and you don't want to risk waking up with slide ('Cause he could block and you're going to eat a full kombo after), the Clone won't come out, but basically you won't get hit either because of it's invincibility proprieties and plus Sub-Zero does that little back jump what gives you space to breath and think what to do next.
^^
i didnt mean when i get knockdown i mean when i knock them down i follow up with a couple slides or dash up and >4 freeze to keep them guessing..i almost never wake up slide

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
i didnt mean when i get knockdown i mean when i knock them down i follow up with a couple slides or dash up and >4 freeze to keep them guessing..i almost never wake up slide
Ahhhhhh I see. Yeah I do that too. Not very often, since if they block I'm going to be fucked... lol F4 is nice. Sometimes my friends cry about it, but I find it very balanced since it's a very, very slow move, It's easy punisheable. But once you have knocked down your opponent what to do next depends on what character you playing against. If you do what you've just said against Kung Lao, for instance, you going to be constantly raped by his Spin. :p It's a good mix against Rain, since his best wake up option is very weak against lower moves like Sub-Zero's overhead and/or Slide.

2 things I do myself with my forward 4 mixes: I like to cancel it with Ice Clone (to make it more safe) or Combo it with Slide (even on block makes very tricky to block, since it's a up-down string).

Anyways, I played some casuals today with a very good friend of mine who mains Reptile. The bastard was playing with Sheeva tho :( I've never played against a Sheeva before him and he asked me what were my thoughts on the character. Well I said that she is pretty slow, don't have many good normals/special since most of them leaves a good space to be punished, but his kombos with her were taking a huge amount of my life away, so I had to be extra careful. Her uppercut is very good, slow but has a good hitbox. I played more agressive than I should to make it fun and paid for that mistake losing sometimes. I had fun playing against him as Sheeva. The total record time was 24min and the score was 7- 3 in my favor. If his intentions are legit and he wants to play with the character because he liked her, fine, go for it. But if he wants to pick her in tourneys to be competitive he is wasting his time. Not that he is playing bad with the character, he is doing fine with her. The problem is that the character is really weak overall. She needs a lot of buffs to be more competitive.

Anyways, I'm gonna edit it and post it so you guys can tell me what ya think. :)

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Anytime, man. Anytime. :)

By the way here goes some casuals that I played few hours ago as promised:

A few mistakes here and there. Sometimes you will hit him with 2,2,4 in the corner and did slide when you can freeze. But great job keeping him in the corner most of the match

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
A few mistakes here and there. Sometimes you will hit him with 2,2,4 in the corner and did slide when you can freeze. But great job keeping him in the corner most of the match
I was so worried about avoiding slide and stuff to keep Ice Clone up for corner pressure that I totally forgot about freezing with Ice Blast after 2,1,4 and 2,2,4 in the corner. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember it more. :)

Kwon

---->----
7) Wake up Ice Clone is outstanding, since it has good invincibility at the startup frames. Most Sub-Zero players use it with the intention of freezing their opponent.

But I like to use it sometimes even if my adversary is at close range and I don't want to risk waking up with slide ('Cause he could block and I'm going to eat a full kombo after). The Clone won't come out, but basically you won't get hit either because of it's invincibility proprieties. Plus Sub-Zero does that little back jump what gives you space to breath and think what to do next.
Gotta love this! :D

Theme

Noob
Gotta love this! :D
I hate it. I usually eat a projectile because of the stagger state and then the clone disappears anyways due to being hit.

I also hate placing a clone right next to a fallen character, only to have its wakeup totally bypass the iceclone to hit me. This has happened with a few wakeups, and they arent even EN versions:

Nightwolfs Shoulder Charge
Raidens torpedo