What's new

4 months later, Baraka's B3 is still stupid

rifraf

Noob
It's been 4 months since the game launched and overall I've been asking for buffs because I felt the game would benefit from them. I feel this is still true.

Having said that, I don't care if Baraka is the strongest character in the game or the weakest. He is arguably the most accessible character in the game with amazing buttons. I have nothing against the character and his design but I would gladly see his b3 straight up getting nerfed somehow. It's relatively fast, it hits mid and low, it stuffs armoured moves, it's safe on block, it's a combo starter, it has insane range, it simply has too much shit put into it! I honestly don't care what they do to this stupid move, I feel it needs to be changed.

There's cheap moves, and then there's Baraka's b3. Why?

Immortal

Blind justice....
It's been 4 months since the game launched and overall I've been asking for buffs because I felt the game would benefit from them. I feel this is still true.

Having said that, I don't care if Baraka is the strongest character in the game or the weakest. He is arguably the most accessible character in the game with amazing buttons. I have nothing against the character and his design but I would gladly see his b3 straight up getting nerfed somehow. It's relatively fast, it hits mid and low, it stuffs armoured moves, it's safe on block, it's a combo starter, it has insane range, it simply has too much shit put into it! I honestly don't care what they do to this stupid move, I feel it needs to be changed.

When i read what you wrote it feels like "i can't deal with it so it should be nerfed". Baraka got nerfed pretty heavily already, there is no need to touch him more. Nerfing him more and his best tool would be crazy.

I thought the combo string option wasn't safe / could be ducked and punished
B31, the 1 part you can duck and punish, B32 the 2 is unsafe on block both can be covered by kameo. Like with pretty much any character can with any normal move/string in the game into a certain kameo.

rifraf

Noob
When i read what you wrote it feels like "i can't deal with it so it should be nerfed".
Sure, I'm not going to deny that at all. Even if I am the worst player in the world, how can anyone defend this move having so much utility is beyond me. I'm specifically talking about b3. I'm okay with cheap moves, this game has lots anyway. This one though is just stupid. No character NEEDS this amount of utility in 1 move.

Also, what's the counterplay for it? Not the strings, just b3. Please let me know. I'll be happy to be wrong.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I agree that it is a very annoying move to deal with, mostly because it is two hitting. If you are used to fuzzyguarding, you have to adjust your timing, because the second hit will hit low while you are standing - I have lost several matches because I was used to just braindead blocking low for a split second then high (in anticipation of an overhead). Maybe making it hit only ONCE would be enough - after all, Baraka has another armor breaking move already: his standing 4.

It's -14 dude. Shao and Scorpion can straight up jab punish it.
The range is also nothing special; About average for many moves, maybe slightly less even.
If you do a delay wakeup and he tries to do it as an early meaty it will whiff and you can punish it.

It has its uses for sure, but it's no god button.

rifraf

Noob
It's -14 dude.
Are we playing a different game? The range of that thing is unreal, it's practically completely safe most of the time. Plus, since the animation of the move is the way it is, the hitbox is all over the place making it even more stupid. It stuffs a crap ton of moves.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Sure, I'm not going to deny that at all. Even if I am the worst player in the world, how can anyone defend this move having so much utility is beyond me. I'm specifically talking about b3. I'm okay with cheap moves, this game has lots anyway. This one though is just stupid. No character NEEDS this amount of utility in 1 move.

Also, what's the counterplay for it? Not the strings, just b3. Please let me know. I'll be happy to be wrong.
I can't speak for you but for me, when i get hit by B3(and i do from time to time) im angry at myself, not the move or the character. In my head it goes like "why the fuck did i stand-blocked, it's Baraka ffs, just block low, you can see the OH from mile away and react to it if needed).

Counterplay is character specific, who do you play? Some characters can straight up block it and punish with full combo of a normal button thou not that many. The range on it is good, not the best, there are moves in the game with longer reach/hitbox but it is possible to make him whiff it. Most Baraka players will not throw B3 when youre futher away, they will do B31, coz the 1 reaches quite far but its also death on read. It's all very relative but man there are strings whi i hate way more than B3/1/2.

rifraf

Noob
why the fuck did i stand-blocked, it's Baraka ffs, just block low, you can see the OH from mile away and react to it if needed
Maybe that's the strat. The OH is indeed quite slow. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try having that in mind next time. I still feel it has too much utility though. Why does it have 2 hits?? :(

My main is Li Mei btw.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Man you picked a character who has the stubbiest normals ever lmao. That being said i don't have much expertise with Li Mei since nobody plays her lol. Her normals are a no go for sure do to her short reach but if i remember correctly she has an extremely fast(6-7 frames) special reversal that should work without a fail on blocked B3.

Maybe that's the strat. The OH is indeed quite slow. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try having that in mind next time. I still feel it has too much utility though. Why does it have 2 hits?? :(

My main is Li Mei btw.
A lot of it is horrible netcode my boy, a lot of Baraka players will b3 or overhead on knockdown, when you go to your match replay look at your inputs and I guarantee you are reacting right as you see it but still getting hit, fuzzy blocking is abysmal in this netcode, so even though b3 starts off mid it’s basically a low in most connections.

I’m serious, watch your gameplay replays when you are facing a Baraka player, you’ll get your closure and also probably be very pissed.

Yup, this may sound crazy to you and players like you but hear me out, sometimes in this game you have to press the block button. You'll find it on the back right side of your controller. Please forward this information to any and all Johnny players.

just b3 is -14 so the counterplay is block ans full combo punish

He needs it and if you're saying it needs to be nerfed then I demand about 20 great buffs for Baraka to have in its absence

I also do think blocking low and reacting to the slow overhead is the way to go, will take some practice of course.

Yup, this may sound crazy to you and players like you but hear me out, sometimes in this game you have to press the block button. You'll find it on the back right side of your controller. Please forward this information to any and all Johnny players.
Johnny player here, we don’t need to block because we are too busy locking down characters with our infinite plus frames and sending the players of these characters into a downward spiral of whining, complaining and praying to the elder gods for nerfs.

Did some practicing and I think it would be possible to hit confirm the B3, making it as good as OP describes, but it's pretty fast. Thoughts ?

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Such a scrubby post LOL. Block low. Jesus Christ. If you are constantly getting hit by b3 its not Baraka or the game. It's you. The overhead is hella reactable. Block low and be patient.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Did some practicing and I think it would be possible to hit confirm the B3, making it as good as OP describes, but it's pretty fast. Thoughts ?
Yes, B3 is hit confirmable. The OP just had a series of bad experiences against baraka players and is airing that out on TYM. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Johnny player here, we don’t need to block because we are too busy locking down characters with our infinite plus frames and sending the players of these characters into a downward spiral of whining, complaining and praying to the elder gods for nerfs.
Baraka player here, when Johnny gets nerfed you can join me in a downward spiral of whining, complaining and praying to the elder gods for nerfs buffs.

rifraf

Noob
Such a scrubby post LOL. Block low. Jesus Christ. If you are constantly getting hit by b3 its not Baraka or the game. It's you. The overhead is hella reactable. Block low and be patient.
Call me a scrub all you want, I honestly don't care. Baraka's b3 is a stupid move for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and we all know it. If you, as a Baraka player need such a stupid, scrubby move to be competitive then Idk who is the scrub or who has the scrub attitude here. It is what it is.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Call me a scrub all you want, I honestly don't care. Baraka's b3 is a stupid move for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and we all know it. If you, as a Baraka player need such a stupid, scrubby move to be competitive then Idk who is the scrub or who has the scrub attitude here. It is what it is.
You took the time to make a post about nerfing a normal that people figured out how to deal with months ago. Instead of asking for tips on how to deal with B3 you immediately jumped to demanding nerfs because you personally have trouble with it. That is the quintessential scrub mentality. This thread you made should have been a personal journal entry.

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

Let him have it. Characters should be allowed to be good.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Who do you play?