What's new

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Wigy

There it is...
That first paragraph is pretty apt. Ronaldo seems to put in the work in areas that either other players don't do or are very tedious and boring. Who knows how many jumps, free kicks, sprints etc he does on a daily basis to keep himself at an elite level.

Not passing judgment on other pros but I remember Shannon Sharpe saying something like 'just because you do things out of habit it doesn't mean that you're working hard'. Since hearing that I believe that is what seperates the goods from the greats.
Guy in my rugby club used to do ballet. Got the Micky taken when he turned up to training for it then everyone was quickly silenced.

Fucking slipperly eel, impossible to tackle then he'd just get up immediately unless you pinned him.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Makes me feel like a lot of other footballers would be better if they put the work in. That guy eat sleeps and shits football. I would imagine ronaldo has had to do a lot of jump training which most strikers probably dont do.

Its pretty interesting the crossover with other sports you find. Theres a couple of really good players who all do kickboxing.. pogba is one i think

In rugby you find theres players who used to play aussie rules or gaelic football and they just do completely mad shit that no other players do. (i'll shut up about that tho cos nobody on this site gives a fuck about rugby lol)
I give a few fucks about rugby. Not really into sports-watching outside of major tournaments, but I’m also Welsh (raised, not domiciled), soooooo.

On topic, tonight’s game made me crusty as hell.

Wigy

There it is...
I give a few fucks about rugby. Not really into sports-watching outside of major tournaments, but I’m also Welsh (raised, not domiciled), soooooo.

On topic, tonight’s game made me crusty as hell.
Welsh and not into rugby... Are you like an adopted Asian kid
:DOGE

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
I'm hoping Argentina and Portugal win their matches so we can have Arg vs Por in quarter finals, that'd be hype as fuck.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So my thoughts on yesterday's match:

It was pretty much the game nobody wanted to see. Both teams were noticeably sandbagging, and while it would've been a different game between their 'A-teams', I will admit based on the result it shows Belgium have better strength in depth than England.

As for next opponents, I don't think it matters who we got cause every team in Group H were around the same level. I think English pundits are just playing up Colombia because of the notoriety of their run 4 years ago + known players from the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A etc.

What I'm more worried about is who we could play if we do beat Colombia. Not many people know this but we have an oddly poor record against Sweden (when England beat them at Euro 2012 it was the first win in something like 40+ years lol) and we know how resilient they've been against big teams in the qualifying/group stages. I'm also thinking Croatia are gonna bust up Denmark and Spain/Russia (probably Spain, but even reputation is making them seem better than they actually have been in this cup), which doesn't bode well. But one match at a time eh...

Also, for those who care, here's my World Cup tier list I posted on Twitter yesterday :p

Last edited:

vapid

cyber warlord
I watched the game yesterday and thought Belgium deserved to just edge it. It was a lucky shot, but we missed far too many chances, and especially a practically open goal that Rashford managed to miss. I dare say Kane would have got it in, "but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas" (for any KOTH fans).

Assuming Southgate deploys the 'A-team' against Colombia then we should do okay, but England have always lacked consistency and judging by how 'WTF' this tournament has been so far at times, it could well go either way.

What yesterday proves is that our B-team is not good enough to beat a solid all-round team like Belgium (Panama are trash-tier and were lucky to qualify at all), and that we need our A-team strikers if we're going to score.

I am always extremely sceptical when it comes to England and World Cups; we usually have a team of egotistical morons and lose because we deserve to, but actually this time around I'm impressed at the cohesion and the consistency of the first XI, and I think that we might be able to do alright.

I very much doubt football's coming home, and I think we'll seriously struggle against Sweden - absolutely my favourite team to watch; I'm rooting for them now - but I think so far, so... okay-ish.

So good to see Germany get knocked out after that last-second bullshit they pulled against Sweden, though. That game against South Korea was sheer karma. I honestly don't care what happens here on out. Most people would say they'd be happy if England made it to the quarter-finals, and that seems likely (though by no means assured), so I doubt many will be disappointed in their performance in the long run. Was it a mistake to play the B-team against Belgium? Maybe, but do we want to face Brazil?

I hope everyone is enjoying it so far!

Deep33

Noob
LOL, Belgium betchslapped the Brits all the way to Chinatown.
The free ride (Tunisia, Panama) is over boys. Now, its time for the real stuff. Time to stuff some haggis in your mouth and send you back to England.

vapid

cyber warlord
LOL, Belgium betchslapped the Brits all the way to Chinatown.
The free ride (Tunisia, Panama) is over boys. Now, its time for the real stuff. Time to stuff some haggis in your mouth and send you back to England.
lol wot?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Anyone else feel like England and Belgium should've just re-enacted this scene to decide who got the most yellow cards first? :DOGE

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Di Maria was completely alone with no one in a 7 meter radius before his shot, but that was just about the only mistake France made in the first half. Messi is guarded closely as usual but Banega is never allowed to even turn around with the ball. It's a miracle if Argentina manages to score again. Their best bet is probably a corner kick with both centerbacks up and leaving some faster players out of the box to secure the rear. Going to be an interesting 2nd half for sure.