What's new

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Hmm Spain aren't safe. A goal in each match would knock them out

EDIT: Actually no, Iran need to equalize and Morocco have to score a 3rd for Spain to go out

Last edited:

Braindead

That is never a penalty against Portugal. The ref cracked under pressure because he was constantly mobbed by the players asking him to consult VAR. It's very bad and very unsportsman-like IMO.

Robbed Portugal of the first place in the group.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
That is never a penalty against Portugal. The ref cracked under pressure because he was constantly mobbed by the players asking him to consult VAR. It's very bad and very unsportsman-like IMO.

Robbed Portugal of the first place in the group.
Agree, Iran’s manager and players told the ref to consult VAR like a dozen times, that wasn’t penalty imo.. and I think Ronaldo shouldn’t get a red card as well, he just tried to get ahead of the defender.. yellow card was enough.

kcd117

Noob
I'm sad for Iran and Morocco, they played some enjoyable soccer.
Uruguay is looking the best out of all the champions so far, they have a really solid defense and a scary offense, I don't expect Portugal to be able to beat them.

I know I'm old to this, but thank f*cking god that fifa finally allows for plays to actually be challenged and reviewed now with that new VAR technology. I know it's going to cause some controversy for now, but I feel overtime the refs will get better at it.

Braindead

I know I'm old to this, but thank f*cking god that fifa finally allows for plays to actually be challenged and reviewed now with that new VAR technology. I know it's going to cause some controversy for now, but I feel overtime the refs will get better at it.
I think it's been used very well so far in the tournament. Today it was a shitshow in the Portugal vs Iran match but only because the referee was too weak and lost control of the game.

I think it's been used very well so far in the tournament. Today it was a shitshow in the Portugal vs Iran match but only because the referee was too weak and lost control of the game.
I haven't had the chance to watch a full game so far in the world cup (only highlights), but that's good to hear it's being used well for it's first time. There will definelty be some more controversial calls (especially leading to the knockout stage) but I'm just happy they finally decided to go in this direction.

Hopefully in the future there's better ground rules on how plays can be challenged. I know in American football they have more specific rules on whether or not a play can be challenged, and if a coach calls for a play to be challenged when they aren't allowed to they loose yardage. Perhaps players pressuring the ref into VAR should have some consequence, and leave the decision making to multiple refs on the field if they are split in a decision?

Braindead

I haven't had the chance to watch a full game so far in the world cup (only highlights), but that's good to hear it's being used well for it's first time. There will definelty be some more controversial calls (especially leading to the knockout stage) but I'm just happy they finally decided to go in this direction.

Hopefully in the future there's better ground rules on how plays can be challenged. I know in American football they have more specific rules on whether or not a play can be challenged, and if a coach calls for a play to be challenged when they aren't allowed to they loose yardage. Perhaps players pressuring the ref into VAR should have some consequence, and leave the decision making to multiple refs on the field if they are split in a decision?
Yeah other sports have already figured out how to use it. In Tennis each player gets 3 challenge calls per set to ask for the hawk eye system to review the in/out call, and if you call it correctly you keep your challenge, and lose it if you didn't.

And you're right, football is quite late with implementing it. Many people have been asking to implement it for years now but there's a lot of resistance. A lot of people are even unhappy with it in this tournament which I find dumb.

It's been tried in other tournaments before this world cup and it's been mostly a failure so far, but I think it's been very good in this tournament.

If I'm not mistaken the rules now are VAR can be consulted in a case of a red card, penalty, and an offside call/miscall leading to a goal. The referee gets to decide on his own whether or not to consult VAR, so the team/coach doesn't have the right to request a challenge. This is causing too much protest on the field and players mobbing and pressuring the ref to consult VAR on almost anything they don't like, which sucks.

I can understand some of the protest lol calls do need to be looked at like that tag team on mitrovic in the serbia game, I would have been pissed if the ref played on.

Deep33

Noob
Agree, Iran’s manager and players told the ref to consult VAR like a dozen times, that wasn’t penalty imo.. and I think Ronaldo shouldn’t get a red card as well, he just tried to get ahead of the defender.. yellow card was enough.
Put the Kool-Aid down and acknowledge that is how corrupt and nasty FIFA is. As much a Cristiano fan as i am, he deserved a RED CARD.

Deep33

Noob
IMO it was to hard to see if it was intentional or not It is a hard one. Usually if the ref if not sure if its a red he will just toss the yellow out :rolleyes:
Don't kid yourself. Everyone knew it was a RED.

But, the FIFA crooked higher ups wanted the cash cow in. He is so "God like", he gets a pass.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Can anyone pls do me a favor and tell me the possibility of a Croatia V Germany Grand Final/where they would meet if they both keep winning?

Because Croatia has been my team since 1998 and if they could play Deutschland/the defending champs in the final I would literally never need to watch futbol again.
It would be like watching Reo's Kabal fight Sonic's Batgirl.

Am so happy.
#CroatiaMasterRace

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Can anyone pls do me a favor and tell me the possibility of a Croatia V Germany Grand Final/where they would meet if they both keep winning?

Because Croatia has been my team since 1998 and if they could play Deutschland/the defending champs in the final I would literally never need to watch futbol again.
It would be like watching Reo's Kabal fight Sonic's Batgirl.

Am so happy.
#CroatiaMasterRace
Only looked at it briefly but I believe if Croatia win their group and Germany finish runner up they can only meet in a Final. Once I have more time I will work it out properly

Don't kid yourself. Everyone knew it was a RED.

But, the FIFA crooked higher ups wanted the cash cow in. He is so "God like", he gets a pass.
Just my opinion man lol Hard one for me to just say straight red, I am not his biggest fan either so this is not me being bias.