What's new

Discussion 10/21/16 Tier List (Spicy)

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Didn't that guy win EVO for Marvel vs Capcom 1 before it was even called EVO? Lol

Smart players pick good characters, leaving salty people salty.
He did, and then he never accomplished anything with the game again after she was nerfed, despite his efforts, thus showing the power of the character pre-patch. Not salty at all. I was at Evo that year and the matches were hype as hell. PR Rog landing the command grab with Tron? Place went crazy. Also, Viscant won in 2011 and Evo has been Evo much longer than that.

Tweedy

Noob
He did, and then he never accomplished anything with the game again after she was nerfed, despite his efforts, thus showing the power of the character pre-patch. Not salty at all. I was at Evo that year and the matches were hype as hell. PR Rog landing the command grab with Tron? Place went crazy. Also, Viscant won in 2011 and Evo has been Evo much longer than that.
You're talking about MvC3.

Viscant won EVO for MvC1 in the 90s before the event was even called EVO. Valle mentioned it in a beef video with Lowtiergod.

I know the character he used to win in 2011 was cheap, but I think someone like that gets a pass? I mean anyone could have used her. Maybe someone of his age had other things to do, after he won EVO again?

Jeffrey Wolf

It's a spicy tier list fools, I chose to treat it as if it had to be broken up from S to D. A to B tier lists are dry
True, it is. But at the same time you've been moving characters around based on feedback, thus giving the impression that you wanted to make an accurate spicy list.

S doesn't always mean broken in tier list, just the best of the best
If a character has as many winning match ups as S would imply, then they would be broken from the perspective of creating a balanced game, which is exactly what the dev team at NRS is trying to do. Having a tier list like this undersells what they accomplished with this patch.

Jeffrey Wolf

You're talking about MvC3.

Viscant won EVO for MvC1 in the 90s before the event was even called EVO. Valle mentioned it in a beef video with Lowtiergod.

I know the character he used to win in 2011 was cheap, but I think someone like that gets a pass? I mean anyone could have used her. Maybe someone of his age had other things to do, after he won EVO again?
I'm not calling him a terrible player. Obviously, other people were playing her too and he was the one that managed to put the pieces together correctly, while holding onto his composure at high level play. That definitely takes skill. But to not have accomplished anything after that, and he did try quite a lot, says something about the state of Phoenix when he used her.

Also, you seem to agree with my point that the MKX is relatively balanced at this point (i.e. no insane highs or lows), so I'm not sure what we're arguing about, besides one example I chose to use.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm not calling him a terrible player. Obviously, other people were playing her too and he was the one that managed to put the pieces together correctly, while holding onto his composure at high level play. That definitely takes skill. But to not have accomplished anything after that, and he did try quite a lot, says something about the state of Phoenix when he used her.

Also, you seem to agree with my point that the MKX is relatively balanced at this point (i.e. no insane highs or lows), so I'm not sure what we're arguing about, besides one example I chose to use.
You're thinking with a black and white mindset. Life is not black and white. He could have stopped playing it as seriously, after playing it more seriously than anyone, previous to his win. Lack of dedication doubles in affect if your character is severely changed.

You just have to give credit where it's due. He won EVO lol. Everyone was allowed to select Phoenix.

I'm defending him randomly, because I find it fascinating that someone who won in the 90s, could win the biggest tournament, almost 2 decades later. That's pretty dope, OP character or not.

notjuice

Skerptor And Shuan Tsi
I have a tough time seeing Tremor up on A+/A or so. His vast amounts of armor were bandaiding his weaknesses. Maybe too much since Tremor got fairly brainless to play pre patch. But in the current meta, he has a serious problem approaching if you're not Crystalline. Mixup-wise everything he has is very reactable and like in the case of Metallic he exists solely to reset people into reactable mixups. The 6 frame string is nice, but we're playing a fairly slow oaf in an olympic hurdle match in the current meta if we're being honest.

If it was only Crystalline perhaps A is reasonable.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
stumbled on tym for the first time in a long ass time. i havent played this game in over a year, i just wanna say im amazing at picking characters because im pretty sure shinnok has been one of the better characters in the game since the first patch and i 100% called that shit after seeing his initial build that he will become one of the best characters in the game. go me