What's new

Strategy - Mileena 10/04 mileena change discussion

UPDATED OP with change notes (removed the gif)

• Mileena - combo damage scaling adjustments and increases
  • Mileena - Away+FP now hits high and starts up in 10 frames (down from 15)
  • Mileena - Flip n' Roll no longer recovers in time to juggle the opponent
  • Mileena - Flip n' Roll can now be enhanced to roll backwards allowing for a juggle
  • Mileena (Piercing) - Away+FP now hits high and starts up in 10 frames (down from 11)
  • Mileena (Ethereal) -
  • Mileena (Ravenous) -
Is it just me or:

• the patch notes seem incomplete?
  • still no reason to cry s

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's only her ex flip n roll that doesn't launch anymore, you'll have to burn two meter bars to back roll into a launch. just like Kitana's princess flutter. It's not that big of a nerf honestly, and it makes sense.

as it is, biggest nerfs to Mileen-ers...

1. h starting b12 (can now be downpoked)
2. lower combo damage
3. EX roll no longer launches unless MBed.

In theory, the nerfs should still be "livable". Piercing b12 may not be as strong (can downpoke to get out of it) but still a good poking tool now that they're faster.

Need to lab up the changes to see how it affects ravenous, the variation that has always held a place in my heart before the XL era :)

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
B1 nerf is fine and actually may make her better. Firstly B12 pre patch can be low poked anyway so making it easier for others to do it now is whatever. Secondly if B1 range is the same it is still a really good footsie tool if spaced correctly can still make counter pokes whiff for you to punish with F2 (which by the way looks a little faster)

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
B1 nerf is fine and actually may make her better. Firstly B12 pre patch can be low poked anyway so making it easier for others to do it now is whatever. Secondly if B1 range is the same it is still a really good footsie tool if spaced correctly can still make counter pokes whiff for you to punish with F2 (which by the way looks a little faster)
i agree 100%

Yeah that looks fine.
What's bugging me is what they did to the ex roll. Why wouldn't they just take away it's armor and give it to, say, ex tk (while removing it's launching ability)? They increased the scaling, why nerfing her mixups? What's ethereal supposed to do now?

And also armorbreaks are gone now — that is, unless they didn't remove OSes as well, but that costs meter anyway.

Idk, still, we're gonna look into it when the patch comes out so that we'll have a complete picture on a game's new meta.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

Yeah that looks fine.
What's bugging me is what they did to the ex roll. Why wouldn't they just take away it's armor and give it to, say, ex tk (while removing it's launching ability)? They increased the scaling, why nerfing her mixups? What's ethereal supposed to do now?

And also armorbreaks are gone now — that is, unless they didn't remove OSes as well, but that costs meter anyway.

Idk, still, we're gonna look into it when the patch comes out so that we'll have a complete picture on a game's new meta.
A lot of it depends on the damage scaling but whenever I played Ethereal I never went for mixups with Ex Roll, never spent meter on combos because her damage was still good and only used Ex Fade as a defensive/counter tool. With that playstyle I would think the changes to Ex Roll is fine in the grand scheme of things but I guess we have to wait and see.

First of all, flip n roll" is ex roll...... that needs a meter bar. It not longer juggles.

You need to mb ex roll for two meters to even be able to juggle from it.

Her b1 cant hit crouched opponents anymore.

So ex roll was a great wakeup. It no longer needs to be respected. Her meter dependent mixup game is almost completely gone.

Her overhead is completely trivialized.

You shouldnt just crouch block against mileena all the time because ______.

At least she had mixup threats and some 50/50s before... now i cant imagine her ever hitting anyone without 2 meters.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
First of all, flip n roll" is ex roll...... that needs a meter bar. It not longer juggles.

You need to mb ex roll for two meters to even be able to juggle from it.

Her b1 cant hit crouched opponents anymore.

So ex roll was a great wakeup. It no longer needs to be respected. Her meter dependent mixup game is almost completely gone.

Her overhead is completely trivialized.

At least she had mixup threats and some 50/50s before... now i cant imagine her ever hitting anyone without 2 meters.
I have the patch installed and currently in the lab ... her strategy didn't change ... the only thing we have to relearn are the MUs ... chill breh ... we have to see how the meta plays out to really see if the changes hurt her but I honestly doubt it.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
Eh, not that bummed her mixup game has been toned down. With all the tools she has i dont think it will affect her too much. B1 being a high doesnt really make that much of a difference since it wasnt a true mid to begin with. We're fine.

leoj89

Noob
Didn't think the ex roll would affect my play style so much but it did. I was over relying on it now I'm paying the price . It's kinda a useless move for me now like ex telekick . The damge nerf to piercing and ravenous was fine but unnecessary for ethereal imo. Oh and shout out @Akromaniac27 for finding this cause now we can aa off b1 into a mid screen combo for 33-36℅ . :p

Skedar70

Noob
Yeah that looks fine.

Whaaaaat??? Ethereal is the shit now. Ex fade is a wakeup that for one bar kind of launches. This a luxury no other character has now. She can fade and whiff punish with a full combo. Don't waste your bar on exroll when using this variation. Open people up with throws, staggers, zoning, anti airs etc. Forget the 50/50 mixups.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
And her highest damaging starter (meterless even) crushes low pokes. Hmm, what do I imagine people will immediately try and do to her with the new B1....?
Mixing up her F2, B1 and F3 should be a fresh new meta, imo. Zoning, Telekick, meterless Roll all unchanged- she's sitting pretty.
Plus, with the universal AA change, the faster B1 and Roll (still) will wreck jump ins.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Anyone else having trouble burning the meter for Flip n Roll? I can't imagine the timing would be that tight.

DR.Innuendo

Kitana, Kenshi, Triborg
I don't see anyone talking about it but, When will you ever EX Roll twice, like seriously, when is this ever going to be practical? 30% 2 bars what where they thinking on double meter launchers? But what i really wanna know is, what made Ravenous broke, or what buffs did ravenous get? I herd many people at end of Kast saying Mileena Ravenous was top tier? why is this becaus ei can't find it, the Ponces seem the same, Low Pounce seems like its kinda useless, you have to do a low string and do Pounce Low and they get caught if they hold block, but if they let go of block or stand up block it wiffs and she gets punished? I'm really missing what happened and can't find changes for Ethereal and Ravenous?

• Mileena (Ethereal) -
  • Mileena (Ravenous) -
  • Like seriously its not even on WBID Forum for patchnotes?

Anyone else having trouble burning the meter for Flip n Roll? I can't imagine the timing would be that tight.
mid roll and it works every time. Not nearly as tight as Unbreakable's B12 xx Aura, 242 without meter.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Funny you used that example since I'm an Unbreakable player, lol.

As for the double meter, you'll want it for the kill every now and then. Otherwise, armored launchers just aren't a huge thing anymore.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Didn't think the ex roll would affect my play style so much but it did. I was over relying on it now I'm paying the price . It's kinda a useless move for me now like ex telekick . The damge nerf to piercing and ravenous was fine but unnecessary for ethereal imo. Oh and shout out @Akromaniac27 for finding this cause now we can aa off b1 into a mid screen combo for 33-36℅ . :p
I feel you, I would use ex flip n roll to finish off a match or to get out of the corner and get a combo going. But ex tele kick is good. Combo into it with air sais + b3 + b23 and finish off with sadistic ways.

TheGabStandard

I don't see anyone talking about it but, When will you ever EX Roll twice, like seriously, when is this ever going to be practical? 30% 2 bars what where they thinking on double meter launchers? But what i really wanna know is, what made Ravenous broke, or what buffs did ravenous get? I herd many people at end of Kast saying Mileena Ravenous was top tier? why is this becaus ei can't find it, the Ponces seem the same, Low Pounce seems like its kinda useless, you have to do a low string and do Pounce Low and they get caught if they hold block, but if they let go of block or stand up block it wiffs and she gets punished? I'm really missing what happened and can't find changes for Ethereal and Ravenous?

• Mileena (Ethereal) -
  • Mileena (Ravenous) -
  • Like seriously its not even on WBID Forum for patchnotes?.
Simply put, people think because there are no more launching armour moves Ravenous can just do d1 xx high pounce over and over again for little consequence

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Low pounce should be used raw as a mixup, it's 8f with fast recovery, noone can react to punish that
d1, d3 into low pounce is a good thing too, anyone trying to counterpoke d1, d3 will get hit by low pounce

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
She didn't even really get nerfed. Trade 5 Startup frames on B1 to make it a High? Okay. She's still top-tier for sure.
Kind of dumb to imply she needed that OH to juggle just to be good. Kung Lao mains have to Throw because they don't even have good OH/Low mixups--they do fine, don't they?

Mileena has F4/F3 and F1,2,B4/F1,4,3. Nobody feels bad for Mileena after this patch. Your bitching is unwarranted.