What's new

Strategy - Mileena 10/04 mileena change discussion

DR.Innuendo

Kitana, Kenshi, Triborg
She didn't even really get nerfed. Trade 5 Startup frames on B1 to make it a High? Okay. She's still top-tier for sure.

Kind of dumb to imply she needed that OH to juggle just to be good. Kung Lao mains have to Throw because they don't even have good OH/Low mixups--they do fine, don't they?

Mileena has F4/F3 and F1,2,B4/F1,4,3. Nobody feels bad for Mileena after this patch. Your bitching is unwarranted.
I have been practicing with everyone in the cast, and I have to say. I don't think there is such a thing as Top Tier or Bottom tier. after this patch, and this new Meta, I really think everyone is awesome, and every Variation is awesome. everyone is worried about lost Armor or Lost Launchers. and really. I think it doesn't matter if its Universal. MOS Raiden, Goro, every and I mean everyone is great now. this meta Allows Zoning to be Relevant.

I think everyone is in A+ to A Tier now. there are a few that is better than the rest like they have Plus frames into mixups and jailing moves, nothing broke anymore. just good normals. not too much Cancel pressure, HTB's gone. it's a nice game. Kotal, Kano CT, HQT Predator, Necromancer Shinnok and many others including Unbreakable Sub Zero are very good now. and id say are close to the best. I know no one will believe this but Balanced is probably better than the other two now. all of them are relevant. but I'm a Zoner by heart and Balanced does it for me. That Plus EX Push helps him so much.

And the plain fact that Stamina had universal Nerf, AA's Where buffed, and Armored Launchers were removed and Characters have Double hitting armor. this game is Perfect. I know many hate the changes to their character but I strongly suggest picking up a character you never dared to before. and see what I'm talking about. Ignore Armor being gone, and play the new style. Highs and Mids are so strong now.

No character on this game is unusable and I really do not think any character is Superior to another anymore. there will be Bad MU's but the Variations work now. I am so glad they did this change, and I was mad at first. but I finally understand it and it is the Most Balanced MK ever made and I love it now.

Enjoy the rides guys and Girls! there are plenty of new styles to choose from, plenty of Variations to use, and plenty of Gameplans that work now, Want to be a Zoner its perfect now, Be a rush down it's balanced now, be a space Control or Setup artist its good now.

What made zoning work was the 25%, stamina drain, and the 50% take away on hit while in a run, and the Armored launchers being taken out. its melded this perfect mixture of Rushdown/Zoning Meta.

I noticed with Balanced and other Zoners, Kenshi used to be whiffed Tele flurry and they could run in and full combo punish or at a minimum they would Force Mixup. well not now. they have to at least run in twice now and block, and think to get in on your Zoning if your good. I can't even express how much I love this game now that we are in 10-4-2016 patch:D

The reason for edit: Grammer changes.

Last edited:

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
I don't see anyone talking about it but, When will you ever EX Roll twice, like seriously, when is this ever going to be practical? 30% 2 bars what where they thinking on double meter launchers? But what i really wanna know is, what made Ravenous broke, or what buffs did ravenous get? I herd many people at end of Kast saying Mileena Ravenous was top tier? why is this becaus ei can't find it, the Ponces seem the same, Low Pounce seems like its kinda useless, you have to do a low string and do Pounce Low and they get caught if they hold block, but if they let go of block or stand up block it wiffs and she gets punished? I'm really missing what happened and can't find changes for Ethereal and Ravenous?

• Mileena (Ethereal) -
  • Mileena (Ravenous) -
  • Like seriously its not even on WBID Forum for patchnotes?

mid roll and it works every time. Not nearly as tight as Unbreakable's B12 xx Aura, 242 without meter.
People are saying she's top tier because of how good she was before this patch, and she's now top tier that she's gone unchanged and piercing along with the other top tiers coming down. I think it's too soon to tell, but it's still a possibility

She didn't even really get nerfed. Trade 5 Startup frames on B1 to make it a High? Okay. She's still top-tier for sure.

Kind of dumb to imply she needed that OH to juggle just to be good. Kung Lao mains have to Throw because they don't even have good OH/Low mixups--they do fine, don't they?

Mileena has F4/F3 and F1,2,B4/F1,4,3. Nobody feels bad for Mileena after this patch. Your bitching is unwarranted.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Lao has a usable overhead. He doesnt have good low starters but he does have good pokes. There's actually a reason to block him low sometimes. There is NEVER a reason to block mileena high.

If you just turtle, mileena should just die. She flat out cannot combo anyone ever without two meters.

The dude that said 21 ex fade is a fun mixup.... thats not a mixup. You just crouch block. Always.

Im gonna get on tonight and see if i can find some mileena players. I hope they can prove me wrong... i really do.... but man... i cant imagine a scenario where mileena can hit anyone unless she is counter hitting.

If that scenario happens, then the person fighting mileena probably doesnt know the matchup

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Your comparison is ridiculous. Lao has a usable overhead. He doesnt have good low starters but he does have good pokes. There's actually a reason to block him low sometimes. There is NEVER a reason to block mileena high.

If you just turtle, mileena should just die. She flat out cannot combo anyone ever without two meters.

The dude that said 21 ex fade is a fun mixup.... thats not a mixup. You just crouch block. Always.

Im gonna get on tonight and see if i can find some mileena players. I hope they can prove me wrong... i really do.... but man... i cant imagine a scenario where mileena can hit anyone unless she is counter hitting.

If that scenario happens, then the person fighting mileena probably doesnt know the matchup
Play her with a heavy neutral style focused on whiff punishing and counters. With her zoning as well you should find success in that way.

Play her with a heavy neutral style focused on whiff punishing and counters. With her zoning as well you should find success in that way.
for sure. I completely understand that this is how she needs to be used. It's pretty much always been this way in MKX.

What if your opponent knows this and doesn't try initiating attacks? You can't wiff punish a turtle. You can't make reads against crouch blocks. You can't do anything to someone who doesn't try and attack.

At least before against a turtle you could mix them up and pound them for doing that if you had meter.

Now you can't.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
for sure. I completely understand that this is how she needs to be used. It's pretty much always been this way in MKX.

What if your opponent knows this and doesn't try initiating attacks? You can't wiff punish a turtle. You can't make reads against crouch blocks. You can't do anything to someone who doesn't try and attack.

At least before against a turtle you could mix them up and pound them for doing that if you had meter.

Now you can't.
Thats where throwing comes in. Alot of throwing indeed.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
MOS Raiden, Goro, every and i mean everyone is great now.
You tried Ferra/Torr? Lackey wasn't even a very good variation before and just got worse, being rushdown. Vicious got significantly nerfed for some strange reason, when it was pretty fine.
What if your opponent knows this and doesn't try initiating attacks?
Then they can't fucking win lol. You seriously think people will turtle Mileena, and... what? Make her rage quit? She doesn't even need OH/Low mixups. She can win with nothing but footsies and her reactive tools, which are the very best in the game. Several zoners can't even throw projectiles against Mileena because it's unsafe.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
You can play Mileena the exact same except now you don't have an armored launcher. Sounds to me that you leaned on that launcher too much. If someone is just sitting back, throw sais. That'll be a test of patience - I personally have no problem sitting back and throwing sais. Make a read, telekick in and now I can push buttons.

I didn't lean on the armored launcher at all. My point is that the threat of it being an option made people get hit by other things a lot.

If it's not a threat anymore and it doesn't need to be respected, then defending mileena isn't even remotely challenging anymore.

It's kinda funny that people are saying to play mileena using footsies and reactionary tools, but somehow an opponent can't just play to react to mileena too and if they do that then "lol they can't win."

If the person playing against mileena "can't fucking win lol" if they just wait and react to her, why doesn't that same logic apply when you talk about how great mileena is if you just play to wait and react?

You can crouch block and let mileena just die. Or just crouch block and wait for her to throw a sai and punish it.

Yes, she has great tools for neutral and reacting. But what if you aren't presented with anything to react to? Do you just wait? if so, then "you can't fucking win lol."

If you try to initiate any offense, you flat out will not hit anyone unless you have 2 meters.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me

Now you can't.
Maybe it is me reading this wrong but I am a little confused. If a turtler is not initiating attacks you throw sais to be annoying, eventually they have to come in to the footsie range where she excels, otherwise they let you build meter for free and/or take chip damage. If turtling occurs in footsie range you establish your throwing game. Just those two tactics alone would force someone to commit to something in order to get momentum or the life lead back.

In matches like that you just need to be more patient than a turtler, if you break first then you play into his/her hands and your points are valid, but if you don't the turtler will eventually succumb and have to come in. No one can win by blocking alone.

You can crouch block and let mileena just die. Or just crouch block and wait for her to throw a sai and punish it.
not really.

turtling means you can:

• chip for free (sais/b12>sais/f23>hipounce)
  • f3 starter
  • grab
of all the nerfs done so far, Mileena seems to be the least affected IMO (also taking into account general gameplay changes such as improved AA's, run reqs, etc.).

Maybe it is me reading this wrong but I am a little confused. If a turtler is not initiating attacks you throw sais to be annoying, eventually they have to come in to the footsie range where she excels, otherwise they let you build meter for free and/or take chip damage. If turtling occurs in footsie range you establish your throwing game. Just those two tactics alone would force someone to commit to something in order to get momentum or the life lead back.

In matches like that you just need to be more patient than a turtler, if you break first then you play into his/her hands and your points are valid, but if you don't the turtler will eventually succumb and have to come in. No one can win by blocking alone.
I agree with this. I think it's easier for a turtle to force you into playing into their hands than you let on though, especially when facing a character that has a teleport or an advantageous projectile trade. In those situations you can't harass with sais. I'm not understanding how it's any easier for mileena to get someone to play to her strengths than the other way around.

Mileena can still win with chip damage and throws I guess.

Who gets hit by F3? No one.. that's who. F3 is online only. and even then it's only with lag.
Look up @SaltFace NS 's matches (pre 10/04 and pre XL); you'll be surprised by how easy it seems to land a hit. and his opponents aren't scrubs like me :D.

Granted, it ain't MK9 u4 but it does get the job done in the right situation.

Im fairly new to the game and Im not a pro player like many of you, I dont know a lot of the fighting game terminology, but I just wanted to say that I F'ing HATE this patch.
I have lost EVERY. Single. Match. since the patch. I used to have a decent record for a newb, now I'm getting destroyed by everyone. Someone's kid sister can wreck me now.
I seriously have not won 1 single match in the past few days.

This EX-Roll is all f'ed up, I use it all the time, now dont know what to do with myself when I use it. I cant get the back-roll timing down and it feels weird to me. I end up in the middle of the stage, but now with 1 less bar and a sitting duck.
I used to LOVE playing this game now I hate not knowing what I'm doing. Mileena was the only one in the cast I liked playing.

Anyways I know I'll be called a whiner or get eye rolls but just stating the truth. MKX is the only game I loved playing but now I dont even know how to play it anymore. Im so sad now from this :(:(:(:(

Im fairly new to the game and Im not a pro player like many of you, I dont know a lot of the fighting game terminology, but I just wanted to say that I F'ing HATE this patch.
I have lost EVERY. Single. Match. since the patch. I used to have a decent record for a newb, now I'm getting destroyed by everyone. Someone's kid sister can wreck me now.
I seriously have not won 1 single match in the past few days.

This EX-Roll is all f'ed up, I use it all the time, now dont know what to do with myself when I use it. I cant get the back-roll timing down and it feels weird to me. I end up in the middle of the stage, but now with 1 less bar and a sitting duck.
I used to LOVE playing this game now I hate not knowing what I'm doing. Mileena was the only one in the cast I liked playing.

Anyways I know I'll be called a whiner or get eye rolls but just stating the truth. MKX is the only game I loved playing but now I dont even know how to play it anymore. Im so sad now from this :(:(:(:(
Hehe. Tough life. Got to space out, whiff punish, condition, play footsies, stagger, mix it up, etc. No more armored launchers. ;)