What's new

1.06 Lobo Tier placing?

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I'm not saying Lobo is bad. Hot shit, he isn't. Just that I think a lot of the cast is significantly better than him.
Even the guys that were considered lower tier now have been moved up with him.
Have you tried facing a Bane with proper venom control when he's all up in your face? Holy shit.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
But as Doombawkz says, doot doot doot that's Bane. Lobo having a couple bad matches doesn't make him the worst character in the game, and he was always minimally at least better than Joker and Shazam. If we also go out of the way to take into account that he doesn't have anything cripplingly bad in terms of matchups at this point, he comes out even better as a good tournament character.

Not to mention that the recent tier list compilation I did putting him in lower mid tier looks like a bunch of fucking downplaying.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I do think he's a lot better than what a lot of people think he is.
He hurts a lot when he actually gets in, and can get in pretty easily.
I just find it hilarious that some characters have to get IN on lobo after the patch, only to get mopped up by higher damage, mixups on mixups, and a reliable anti air.

As far as simply having better matchups go, I think he's miles ahead of Doomsday, Bane, and Nightwing, and a lot of the cast imo. He still loses to characters that have a better upclose game than him (Flash Anyone?)

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
The one that really gets me is saying Batman is a loss in post-patch land. Batman, who is the definition of being free on wakeup and who lost significant strength in his distance game, Batman, who is reliant on jumping in and pressure tactics against a character who always had a good anti-air and now has an excellent wakeup attack. Batman, who will get blasted in his fucking face with nuclear shells if he tries throwing Batarangs, trades be damned - because Lobo's going to win them.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
The one that really gets me is saying Batman is a loss in post-patch land. Batman, who is the definition of being free on wakeup and who lost significant strength in his distance game, Batman, who is reliant on jumping in and pressure tactics against a character who always had a good anti-air and now has an excellent wakeup attack. Batman, who will get blasted in his fucking face with nuclear shells if he tries throwing Batarangs, trades be damned - because Lobo's going to win them.
This is the exact same thing I say and peope look at me like I'm crazy. The only way Bats can beat Lobo now is by exceptional trait management.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
The problem with placing lobo on a tier list is that many Lobos that I have come across barely use all his tools like his chains, and nuke shells. Most (not all) are playing him as if he was still the shit tier character he was before. They have that low tier mentality where they feel they aren't able to do anything.

To be fair I believe Grundy still bodies him but even when I use other characters the outcome is similar.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
The problem with placing lobo on a tier list is that many Lobos that I have come across barely use all his tools like his chains, and nuke shells. Most (not all) are playing him as if he was still the shit tier character he was before. They have that low tier mentality where they feel they aren't able to do anything.

To be fair I believe Grundy still bodies him but even when I use other characters the outcome is similar.
I fall prey to this every now and then. We had to fight to get in for how many months before the patch? It's easy to fall back into that mindset in a tough match. When I remember I can zone with nuke shots, I play alot more patient and calculated. Some of my most recent matches are up on my www.youtube.com/lordhollow page.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I do think he's a lot better than what a lot of people think he is.
He hurts a lot when he actually gets in, and can get in pretty easily.
I just find it hilarious that some characters have to get IN on lobo after the patch, only to get mopped up by higher damage, mixups on mixups, and a reliable anti air.

As far as simply having better matchups go, I think he's miles ahead of Doomsday, Bane, and Nightwing, and a lot of the cast imo. He still loses to characters that have a better upclose game than him (Flash Anyone?)
sorry, no.

bane and DD definitely have better match ups overall, because they're simply better. can't say anything about NW

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Top 15 for sure. Top 10 conversation. I was hesitant to say this out loud because I didn't want it to turn into a 2 week long debate.

Am I a Lobo up-player? Possibly. I just think he's fucking awesome now. There really aren't any characters I'm THAT scared of. Really just Bane and Grundy, which are still winnable.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Top 15 for sure. Top 10 conversation. I was hesitant to say this out loud because I didn't want it to turn into a 2 week long debate.

Am I a Lobo up-player? Possibly. I just think he's fucking awesome now. There really aren't any characters I'm THAT scared of. Really just Bane and Grundy, which are still winnable.
everyone is top 10

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I just believe a patient Lobo can overcome any other character. He has all the tools necessary to deal with any opponent's playstyle, imo. He's a jack of all trades, master of none. That allows him a lot of flexibility during a match. I think the reluctance to place him at a higher tier comes from the fact he doesn't have many abusable strings to do over and over. The best one I could come up with, which works exceptionally well for safe pressure, is 2,1, High Pump Shot. The shot jails to the 1, so they can't duck it and on hit, leaves Lobo at +1 (-1 on block, but pushed back).

The thing is, 2,1 has so many possible follow ups it is a constant guessing game for them. My focus in a match is to connect 2 on hit or block. From there, the Loboki is extremely strong. Not all out amazing to most, but it really works for me. When I upload my vids, I'll post an example here.

Actually, I have it all written up somewhere, also. Give me a second.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Skull Rider Follow ups (2, 1)

2, 1, Pump Shot (Mid, Overhead, EX High) – Solid, no brainer pressure string that jails: I have it labeled as an EX high because although they can block, the high pump shot still connects, forcing them to take the block damage. With it being disadvantaged but safe, you can throw this option out anytime, checking to see if they instinctively block the overhead, letting you know how to follow up your next 2,1 for bigger damage.

2, 1, Mid Pump Shot (Mid, Overhead, Mid) – With High Pump shot jailing, there is really no reason to ever do this one unless you just like the way it looks. Mid Shot takes less, is slightly more difficult to pull off and is safe, but less safe on block. High Pump shot trumps it any way you slice it.

2, 1, Low Pump Shot (Mid, Overhead, Low) – Mix up option, with decent follow ups when a nuke shot is used. The low shot is unsafe on block, so use it if you know they don’t have the presence of mind to block properly.

2, 1, Low Space Hook (Mid, Overhead, Low) – Standard mix up with burn option as well as oki follow ups. Super unsafe, but your opponent has to be on point and distance permitting.

2, 1, Space Hook (Mid, Overhead, Mid) – Great for stage placement. Pushed them to the corner, which allows a nuke reload or a free roll to close the gap.

2, 1, Hook Charge (Mid, Overhead, Overhead) – A very welcomed addition to his oki game. What separates this from the Low Hook option is, this one can be made safe for continued pressure. Meter allowing, he can bully them for quite some time.

2, 1, Czar Toss (Mid, Overhead, Grab) – If they have the presence of mind to block the overhead, they have the distinct joy of being grabbed right out of that block and lose 30+ percent. They can escape with a well timed backdash I believe, but I have never had it done to me. Understand this: Blocking 2,1 is their worse option overall. How is that for oki?

2, 1, 3 (Mid, Overhead, Mid) – This is a great option if, for some reason, you aren’t sure what side the opponent will be on when you start it. Nuked up, it takes 21% and knocks the opponent away, allowing a reload. It gives Lobo a 30 frame advantage, so if it blasts them in the corner and he’s standing over them, it gives free pressure with f+3 or b+2 overhead options.

Honorable mention:
2, Czar toss (mid, throw) - If your opponent is conditioned to block on wake up, standing 2 keeps him there, then czar toss grabs him. escapable with a well timed backdash (jump also, maybe? Someone confirm please), but it's never meen escaped when I've done it.