What's new

Worst Designed Character and WHY?

Who Is The Worst Designed Characterr In This Game?

• Total voters

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Bane's pretty bad in my opinion. Armour on everything, over 20 seconds of armour and barely giving a shit about anything for just 6 seconds of being really vulnerable. Fuck the meta.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Moving on to some other characters, MMH... why did NRS not utilize his shapshifting abilities? Also, from a balance standpoint, why would they give him a very safe meterless overhead teleport? It cannot be punished on block, you can't dash under it and punish like Doomsday's unblockable move, and it leads to unscaled combo damage. NRS should've made overhead teleport a MB version for regular teleport in my opinion.
i think teleport attacks are just bad design in general. teleports are fine but things like scorpion teleport punch and manhunter teleport nonsense is kinda dumb. but as far as manhunter's overhead teleport you just have to get creative when dealing with hit. he still is negative and hes at a range that a lot of characters can do things after blocking it. some chracters can punish it but not on block. keep in mind that you can hit him out of the teleport with things like DS sword flip.

He used to be the best designed character before NRS normalized and turned him into another boring 50/50 rush down character.

I voted for Cyborg, whose character design can be summed up in one sentence. "Hey, let's give this character a poor man's version of Kabal's instant aerial gas blast and make everything else shit".
The guns are okay in some matchups and great in some matchups. He got zoning, anti zoning, great wakeups, good footsies, good 50/50's, good anti airs. How is this not great design? the only thing keeping him out of top 10 is better damage or a useful trait.

Yoaks

A spaceman
heres my opinion

from a moveset point of view: MMH, not because he has a teleport, thats canon and fits well, but when i see MMH hes normally all about shape shifting and phasing through stuff, which you dont really see in his move set. I thought it'd be awesome if his trait had something to with phasing, like he'd become projectile invincible for a certain amount of time, or something like that. I feel like he should have some sort of special or normal where he goes into a different shape or something. they had plenty of potential and i feel they didnt abuse it enough.

from a overall character point of view: nightwing, i know hes my main but trust me im not being biased, im sure everyone will agree with me on this if they know anything about the character. hes an ACROBAT, even more acrobatic than batman and dare i say catwoman, he should have a double jump, or a grapple similar to cyborgs, a faster walk speed or SOMETHING. Seriously, i wouldn't be surprised if nightwing in staff stance has the slowest walk speed in the game. to be good with nightwing, u have to be patient and choose your openings, i feel as if he should be a fast paced rushdown mixup heavy character (similar to spiderman in umvc3, u play as him and he actually feels like spiderman) i just dont get that same vibe from nightwing.

as far as looks: raven.... i mean WTF!? i know NRS is famous for not having the prettiest females, nor do i believe raven should be good looking at all, but if u ask me she looks NOTHING like any of her previous interations. the closest they came was with the teen titans skin and that barely looks like the raven i remember, all they really gave her was the same color cloak and skin. i mean shes hideous, absolutely ugly lol

other characters..

cyborg, could've had more tools, hes a cyborg for christ sake, he has like 2 moves.. he should have like 20.

ares... the god of war.. he could've had more things to utilize, i mean for the god of war you would think he would have more than just a sword and an axe right?

green arrow.. this is probably just a personal thing but i totally thought he was going to be a complete zoning character. that wasnt the case :(
I think Raven looks awesome in this game.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
bane has to get a mention , superman also yeah lets just give him a trait that literally breaks some characters moveset ,,fuckin joke

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
There was little to no real creative thought behind Deathstroke's Special Moves and Trait and it makes him look like some gunman with a sword when he's supposed to be a Master Assassin, Tactician, Swordsman, and CQC Master. He could've had his Energy Spear, his Super(Flash) Bomb, a sword parry that leaves the opponent open for scaled follow up attacks, and he could've had those proximity mines he used in the Injustice Storyline. He could've had a lot of things but NRS went with the uncreative and safe path on Deathstroke.

Sure, Deathstroke is decently designed from a balance standpoint, but it wasn't much of a creative design and he doesn't feel like Deathstroke to me.

Moving on to some other characters, MMH... why did NRS not utilize his shapshifting abilities? Also, from a balance standpoint, why would they give him a very safe meterless overhead teleport? It cannot be punished on block, you can't dash under it and punish like Doomsday's unblockable move, and it leads to unscaled combo damage. NRS should've made overhead teleport a MB version for regular teleport in my opinion.
Deathstroke is fine. Character design doesn't just refer to special moves and normal strings.

His clash quotes, his intro animations, his exit animations, all feel like Slade Wilson. You're overcomplicating the needs of a fighting game character. He's not godlike in the DCU, despite being very good. He certainly can't hold a candle to Martian, or Supes, or Black Adam. Master Assassins use guns and swords all the time. The animations of an "energy spear" wouldn't be that creative. At the end of the day you're still looking at bladed attack moves, which look basically the same. Stabs, slashes, etc.

Martian Manhunter can teleport. His trait not only makes sense with what Martian can actually do, but it makes perfect sense into the context of a fighting game. What would you have him turn into? How many frames of animation would it be? What would he shift into that would be practical in a fighting game?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I should honestly start going on about how Cyborg or Joker are just terrible designs, but I really want to bitch about Green Arrow.

They created a character who is based off of marksmanship. They gave him 3 gimmick arrows all with different speeds, amounts of ammo and purposes. Problem is they made the mistake of thinking of it like he had 3 different powers and started carving him up after that. They gave him absolutely tiny range on normals so his poke range is just hideous. To compensate though they gave him good dashes to use them and good jump ins and high low strings for mixups so he could make something of his hits. However, that made him into a rushdown character so they tanked his damage to hell and they made his moves push people away and he had bad scaling. So to compensate for the murder of combo potential they made him have high reset potential for damage and one giant reset with his Super.

And then they called it a day. Problem was this would only be acceptable if he legitimately could contend with the zoners of this game and outzone some folks which he simply cannot do even on trade. So you have an in and out fighter with no damage, who is outclassed in zoning with no damage and is entirely reliant on a very straight forward sort of mixup pressure that chokes vs any and all armor (which everyone has now). To top it off round one is by design not a round folks blow 4 bars on because it leaves them quite vulnerable in the next round vs clash. So Green Arrows top damage reset only comes up in the last round now but the issue with that is the second you try to use it as a reset in the last round you LOSE all that damage to a clash you now have no meter to fight because he cant really do a proper reset combo after its use since very few things he can follow it up with are unclashable.

Essentially the way Green Arrow played out was as expected. He had good openers and pressure and in the beginning all it would take is a strong footsie player to make use of him and really push him in tournaments. We had that in Chris G. However, as it could have easily been predicted, once people gained experience and knew what his strings were and learned to block him it became apparent just how punishable and manageable he was forcing him to lower mid card forever. Once people learned to deal with his jump ins and low starters he started getting blowed out of the rankings. It just became apparent that if you wanted a well rounded rushdown character you should be playing Batman who has the ability to do damage, open people up, and stay safe unlike Green Arrow who couldn't stay safe or deal damage.

A good idea, but one that still needs polish is how I see Green Arrow. Personally I feel if he had an arrow special he could shoot into the ground that was timed that could blow people up towards him it'd likely fix him up without breaking him. He could force folks to go towards him, he could control space and force people to make moves to start his punish game and it wouldn't make his damage insane if it was relegated as an attack available only on either electric or Fire arrow. Basically make him force people into his pressure and potentially give him a tool that he could position near that would force folks to block and give him a breather so he didn't get blowed up for certain things. Be awesome to use it then slide up with stinger....ah a man can dream though.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
The guns are okay in some matchups and great in some matchups. He got zoning, anti zoning, great wakeups, good footsies, good 50/50's, good anti airs. How is this not great design? the only thing keeping him out of top 10 is better damage or a useful trait.
Imo they should left his zoning as it was pre patch and nerf his upclose tools so he would be pure zoner with weak upclose game .

TKB

Noob
I think most of the characters are designed really well and are truly unique which is amazing for a fighting game; no carbon copies at all.

The one that bothers me though is Shazam... In the DC universe, he's at the top of the food chain... Why did he get the short end of the shit stick? Makes no sense at all.

The other powerhouses? Superman. Black Adam. Wonder Woman. Martian Manhunter. All of them strong characters. Did they just forget about Shazam and his fanbase? Or maybe he was one of the last designed and they just didn't care anymore?

Cyborg is a close second for the same reason. They were almost done with the game and said "oh shit! We forgot about Cyborg! Eh whatever" and cobbled him together with a bunch of cheap boring specials and worthless strings.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
in general, the DLC characters are very poorly designed especially Zod and MMH. idk why you say DS is poorly designed. hes pretty much the only character they made based on shotos and hes really the only character in the game that has an actual DP. i think hes one of the better designed characters in the game as far as balance goes
From a gameplay standpoint Lobo obviously isn't the best. But as far as the character himself, I thought NRS did a great job. Sobolov puts a ton of personality into the characters voice. Lobo's design was well done also.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
From a gameplay standpoint Lobo obviously isn't the best. But as far as the character himself, I thought NRS did a great job. Sobolov puts a ton of personality into the characters voice. Lobo's design was well done also.
Lobo's voice is tight. I actually like all of the voices in this game, except Raven's

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The one that bothers me though is Shazam... In the DC universe, he's at the top of the food chain... Why did he get the short end of the shit stick? Makes no sense at all.
SF2 WW Ryu
MK1 Scorpion
3S Alex
MVC2 Captain America
Tekken 3 True Ogre (sort of)

Etc.

Last edited:
Imo they should left his zoning as it was pre patch and nerf his upclose tools so he would be pure zoner with weak upclose game .
that would create a lot of bad matchups, characters who cant get in on zoning would just get murdered and characters who do easily get in would probably destroy deathstroke.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
doomsday scorpion frost flash nightwing cw
I can understand night wing but disagree on the others. CW was designed good, there's nothing sexier than double f3 whiff combos (and the occasional quadrouple whiff with a BGB, which is one of the most hype things I saw) and they did great with flash, he's the only character that plays the way I thought he would before I started playing this game. DD is also good too he's just a tank and has some nasty looking moves that look like they'd do more damage than it does. Scorpion is scorpion, shouldn't be on this game but he's a MK player and plays like a MK player. Killer frost gets a bad rep and is often downplayed but she's a good character and I believe she was designed pretty good with a a few minor problems

Definitely Cyborg matches both objective and subjective targets of being worst designed in the game.

The fact that some posters here are complaining about trait, plus/negative frames on hit/block, OP/weak special moves means they've already forgotten all about poor Cyborg.
And nothing, nothing is worse than being forgotten.

Because cyborg, despite how cool his design looks, has the most forgettable specials, strings, regular moves, trait, and metagame (shoot! shoot! shoot!) - everything about Cyborg is forgettable except for his Intro scene and super.

Poor Cyborg - no one remembers him in this game.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Definitely Cyborg matches both objective and subjective targets of being worst designed in the game.

The fact that some posters here are complaining about trait, plus/negative frames on hit/block, OP/weak special moves means they've already forgotten all about poor Cyborg.
And nothing, nothing is worse than being forgotten.

Because cyborg, despite how cool his design looks, has the most forgettable specials, strings, regular moves, trait, and metagame (shoot! shoot! shoot!) - everything about Cyborg is forgettable except for his Intro scene and super.

Poor Cyborg - no one remembers him in this game.
It's about to get real up in here!

Right guys? ...Right?

Look wise? Zatanna... her face is painted for the blind.
Combat wise? Toss up between Cyborg and Deathstroke, love em as characters but not in the game.

Can we talk about their outros jokers is awesome but flashs is boring IMO. Night wings is alright. I wish flashs was like in the story mode where he built a pyramid for sinestro

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Imo just one little change would make cyborg a lot better , being able to mb his Sonic Disruptor for combo ( it would work as lexs Gravity Pull )