What's new

Question - Summoner Why Does Quan Chi Need This?

Can someone thoroughly explain what the new hotfix (-9) changed exactly and how it affects Quan in situations you'd use it in? I don't know shit about frame data and the like, so an easy to understand explanation would be much appreciated.
First post patch Quan Chi had a d1 which was -7 on block and +6 on hit. That means that after someone blocks your d1 you can't do anything (even block) for 7 frames (if you didn't know this game runs at 60 frames per second, so 1 frame=1/60 of a second). But if you hit with d1 you opponent had to respect the next 6 frames. But now he is -9 after a d1 on block, it is full combo punishable by some characters. On hit all you get is 3 frames. Even a follow up with a throw (which is 10 frames) can trade with a 6 frame poke now. And of course armor, backdash, jumping are easier options for your opponent now.

I keep seeing QC players (and Qc players ONLY) saying his D1 buff is currently needed... why? Can a single one of you give a compelling argument as to why?
plus frames and staggering strings were hes downfall not just "block inifinites". When ur fastest poke is 9 frames , u cant armor out of gaps in strings like jaxs b3d2 ,which is a +2 low overhead string, Or armor out of +5 pressure AND cant wakeup there is a problem. Tempest lao not only has his hat pressure but is able to stagger b321 very effectivly on the whole cast but he had to respect armor, or poke, against quan he could just go ham with zero threat whatsoever. The same applies to Tanya, Lui kang, Jax, Dvorah SQ, A-list JC, HQT predator And shinnok.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I went ahead and edited the OP so no one thinks this is inescapable, just showing that it's an unnecessary option. Nothing else is getting changed. We were told that the vortex needed to be that strong since Quan had no way out of pressure. What's the excuse now?
First I'd like you to directly quote any competent Quan player that has said that he wouldn't be usable without the vortex.

Second, why is it that I see soooooo many posters on tym crying about quan, when I have legitimitely never seen any of the Yomi boys or Fox complain? Do they know something you all don't, or did they actually, you know, learn how to fight the character.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
First I'd like you to directly quote any competent Quan player that has said that he wouldn't be usable without the vortex.

No need when I've got this gem that directly says Quan Chi is mid tier with touch of death capabilities:

Second, why is it that I see soooooo many posters on tym crying about quan, when I have legitimitely never seen any of the Yomi boys or Fox complain? Do they know something you all don't, or did they actually, you know, learn how to fight the character.
Really? @FOREVER KING thought Quan was so braindead that he picked him up as a secondary within 2 hours to beat Michaelangelo in the mirror and prove a point. It's hilarious how you desperately appeal to authority when it benefits you, but try to call the community "parrots" when they agree with Pig and Tom about how stupid your character is.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
No need when I've got this gem that directly says Quan Chi is mid tier with touch of death capabilities:

Really? @FOREVER KING thought Quan was so braindead that he picked him up as a secondary within 2 hours to beat Michaelangelo in the mirror and prove a point. It's hilarious how you desperately appeal to authority when it benefits you, but try to call the community "parrots" when they agree with Pig and Tom about how stupid your character is.
Thank you for this.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

for the record. Quan chi is broken in some sense. He is very very very good in his own way. He is not changed significantly by these buffs at all though. He was already good and these changes (even if they end up being good) mean very little to his overall gameplan and effectiveness.

@Cabjoy Quan is super good and in no way is he mid tier.

I do agree with you that this change is insignificant amidst the plethora of other tools and mixups he has.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
No. Where's your outrage about this?
I'm saying testing/using things like this online doesn't mean we're gonna be seeing this offline because offline players are a lot more competent.I also think the double runes are stupid and should be taken out which thankfully they are.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I'm saying testing/using things like this online doesn't mean we're gonna be seeing this offline because offline players are a lot more competent.

I also think the double runes are stupid and should be taken out which thankfully they are.
I'm pretty sure no one agreed with double spells, but Ketchup was just showing that the setups are practical online, and there's nothing wrong with that. The competitive community is the 1%. Although I still think we'll occasionally see fully charged B2's hit competitively, you can't ignore the majority, especially when making blanket statements like "you should NEVER get hit by this."

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm pretty sure no one agreed with double spells, but Ketchup was just showing that the setups are practical online, and there's nothing wrong with that. The competitive community is the 1%. Although I still think we'll occasionally see fully charged B2's hit competitively, you can't ignore the majority, especially when making blanket statements like "you should NEVER get hit by this."
to be fair your the one who said "so your telling me you will never get hit by this?" as a way to universally discredit us if we do happen to get hit. His thread title was a jab at you for saying something so blanket and not at all what we were actually saying.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
But the non competitive community doesn't have thousands of dollars on the line online or offline. All I'm saying is testing tech online in the same way you were telling Ketchup to do is dumb and should not be taken as the final judgement nor should it be used in an argument. It's online, ANYTHING will hit.

E

Eldriken

It's punishable, and with a combo

But full combo punish is when you can open with exactly what you like, e.g. using the example of my character, I can use a 11212 opener to punish -9, but off a full combo punish I could open with my 44 opener for nearly double damage

Not super important, just correcting the terminology
Well, I learned something new today. Thanks. :D

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
what happens if the B2 is not fuly charged when released, but also not just tapped?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing

Quan Chi was guaranteed top 10, debatable top 5 before the patch.

After the patch alot of top characters got nerfed and Quan got buffed, I think Quan is guaranteed top 5 now debatable top 3. Possibly number 1

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
If this is correct and he is -9 I can punish his d1 on block with Mournful's: 11,ExGlaive,f43,f43,21xxxLift,nip,4,any ender. This would mean Im one of the few characters that can get a full combopunish on this shit. Yessss, Yessss, all according to plan. Mwahhahahaha.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
If this is correct and he is -9 I can punish his d1 on block with Mournful's: 11,ExGlaive,f43,f43,21xxxLift,nip,4,any ender. This would mean Im one of the few characters that can get a full combopunish on this shit. Yessss, Yessss, all according to plan. Mwahhahahaha.
Even though his D1 is -9, he's crouching while doing it so he'll probably low profile high attacks. You might have to punish it with a mid