What's new

Question - Summoner Why Does Quan Chi Need This?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Dude that MU chart is pre patch lol. A lot has changed
It was 3 weeks ago lol. Exactly what has changed in the GM match up to make it suddenly go from one of QC's hardest, to an easy match up? GM wasn't even changed lol. Like I'm willing to hear it out, but wtf is the logic here :S

Also, the statements you are referring to being made about Quan chi by Tom Brady were made before the patch as well. Lol.

You've been on this site since April 2015. You hardly know me well enough to be defining me as anything. get lost noob
Actually, what you mean to say is I made this account on 4/20 this year, seeing as you have no idea how long I been browsing the site. But regardless, that is your rep, truth hurts, get more upset. And this is coming from one of the people who likes you.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Short answer: be doesn't need it
Long answer: to slap the kenshi community in the face for giving an already top 10 character buffs while kenshi gets a couple of useless buffs. Still salty about that

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
It was 3 weeks ago lol. Exactly what has changed in the GM match up to make it suddenly go from one of QC's hardest, to an easy match up? GM wasn't even changed lol. Like I'm willing to hear it out, but wtf is the logic here :S

Also, the statements you are referring to being made about Quan chi by Tom Brady were made before the patch as well. Lol.

Actually, what you mean to say is I made this account on 4/20 this year, seeing as you have no idea how long I been browsing the site. But regardless, that is your rep, truth hurts, get more upset. And this is coming from one of the people who likes you.
Historically, Dink is an upplayer.

In MK9, he said Quan Chi was better than Cyrax.

He even said this on KTP. Look it up.

Plus, even you can tell some of those twitter statuses were tongue in cheek, no?

I GOT HANDS

Historically, Dink is an upplayer.

In MK9, he said Quan Chi was better than Cyrax.

He even said this on KTP. Look it up.

Plus, even you can tell some of those twitter statuses were tongue in cheek, no?
Historically is very different to recently. But yes, I can, that's why I said I like Dink. Doesn't change his rep however, the same way he is using Tom's rep against him. This is what the rep is.

I am sorry but you start to sound very trolly) I mean even if Dink is talking out of his ass, changes his mind on MU, and downplays a lot his opinion on this site will always matter more than 90% of us because he is an actual tournament player that has placements in majors in several NRS games including MKX. Hell, he beat Justin Wong twice in different NRS games) And you are talking to him like he is an online scrub)))That really just makes you sound like one)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Short answer: be doesn't need it
Long answer: to slap the kenshi community in the face for giving an already top 10 character buffs while kenshi gets a couple of useless buffs. Still salty about that
You are not salty. Only delusional and paranoid.

The 6 frame d+1 is massively overrated. It only exists to prevent pseudo block infinite combos. The frame data on block is unimpressive while the frame data on hit is minimal. d+3 remains the superior low poke in all but a few circumstances.

Scrubs and anti-zoning zealots have spread their message to the point that you get the impression that Quan Chi has become a defensive beast when in fact he still has the worst defensive options in the game in Summoner and Sorcerer.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

The 6 frame d+1 is massively overrated. It only exists to prevent pseudo block infinite combos. The frame data on block is unimpressive while the frame data on hit is minimal. d+3 remains the superior low poke in all but a few circumstances.

Scrubs and anti-zoning zealots have spread their message to the point that you get the impression that Quan Chi has become a defensive beast when in fact he still has the worst defensive options in the game in Summoner and Sorcerer.
I'm scared for Quan's life here. Got a feeling he's gonna be shafted pretty hard in the next patch when all he really NEEDS is minor nerfs to his damage. Good job we have a lot of time to fight for him #QuanLivesMatter

jokey77

Character Loyalist
D1 is surely not the Problem. If anything it was a well-made decision. All these hypocrites claim that Quan's vortex was dumb, when at the same time other characters could formerly use block infinites on Quan that were easier to execute (by themselves and when it comes to getting them started).

People who understand Quan a little better might say that his skullblast buff, especially in the corner, is a big deal though. It is debatable, that the scaling after skullblast (usually used late in the Corner anyway) or ex runetrap (this would affect Quan's general gameplan) should be increased.

However people forget how bad Quan's footsie tools are. The first trance is not easy to get. Besides his 50/50 does have its flaws. Like the range of B3 making B2 predictable in many cases or like B3 and B2 being fuzzyguardable. I am not saying that his mixups were easy to block, but it is not like they are a touch of death in every situation. Especially as there is a breaker-option too. Fuzzyguarding and only blocking low when the bat approaches will neutralize many mixups.

I do agree that whining on a forum and demanding nerfs is easier than to learn the character. However this is how setup-characters (e.g. hunter predator) should be designed: once you know their setups, they become way easier to play against. However if it would be too easy to recognize one certain setup, the idea of setup characters would become obsolete in general - everyone could play them, everyone could block them without any dedication.

I GOT HANDS

I'm willing to be schooled here because I genuinely don't know, asking for someone to explain to me

If his D1 was removed, exactly who has a block infinite on Quan Chi?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I'm willing to be schooled here because I genuinely don't know, asking for someone to explain to me

The main one I knew of was Liu Kang but that one has been removed completely, and I heard about Tanya having one but I'm not sure about that one. Seeing as Ronin Takeda has a new infinite though Quan would get infinited by him, I'm not sure about anyone else though.

After the patch it is definitely Takeda Ronin (he has a block infinite on him the corner regardless of his d1, cause you need armor to get out of that one), Kotal Khan in the corner (his b1 got buffed, it is a pseudo infinite cause he has like one opening after eating about 20% chip to do his d1, which will get him killed on block and Kotal shits on his +3))), but without 6 frame d1 in the corner Quan can't get out), I am not sure about Tanya now, haven't played that MU in a while ( not sure if anything was changed about her pressure in this patch except that you now can't cancel her telescope on the 1st frame of start up).

jokey77

Character Loyalist
How about Kanos B1? It at least used to be an infinite of some sort.
Generally one could argue that not having a decent poke AND not having an armored move is not compensated by his offense. Especially because he has no advancing mids/footsie tools either...

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I honestly think people are WAY overreacting to the d1 buff.

Considering the most you'll get off it is a chance to maybe walk back, and you can be punished for trying it, it's fairly designed.

If it gave big advantage like MOST of the pokes in this game or granted a 50/50 on hit like most characters, I'd be against it.

But people are acting like having a -9 on block poke suddenly makes him some kind of defensive juggernaut. In reality, it's strictly a tool to try and create space, since none of your follow ups are guaranteed and can be punished or armored.

Instead of tearing and going on Anti Quan Chi campaigns...

Why don't you people that freak out over Quan ask us for games?

Do you all think we won't play you and help you in the match up?

I'd much rather spend time on this forum learning about the game and improving over arguing about balance.

But the latter seems to be all anyone wants to do anymore.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
After the patch it is definitely Takeda Ronin (he has a block infinite on him the corner regardless of his d1, cause you need armor to get out of that one), Kotal Khan in the corner (his b1 got buffed, it is a pseudo infinite cause he has like one opening after eating about 20% chip to do his d1, which will get him killed on block and Kotal shits on his +3))), but without 6 frame d1 in the corner Quan can't get out), I am not sure about Tanya now, haven't played that MU in a while ( not sure if anything was changed about her pressure in this patch except that you now can't cancel her telescope on the 1st frame of start up).
Tanya absolutely does not have a block infinite on anyone any more.

I still need to test but I am pretty sure Quan can get out of the Ronin blockstrings by instant NJPing after b21 2+4 blade drop. Ill test later.

The Kotal thing as you describe it is not a block infinite, if Quan can poke out it isnt one, even if the poke doesnt get him anything.

I dont think anyone block infinites Quan Chi anymore, bad defense or not.

I GOT HANDS

Tanya absolutely does not have a block infinite on anyone any more.

I still need to test but I am pretty sure Quan can get out of the Ronin blockstrings by instant NJPing after b21 2+4 blade drop. Ill test later.

The Kotal thing as you describe it is not a block infinite, if Quan can poke out it isnt one, even if the poke doesnt get him anything.

I dont think anyone block infinites Quan Chi anymore, bad defense or not.
Just to clarify, is this in the hypothetical situation that he didn't get his D1? Would it bring back a Tanya / Kotal block infinite? And I don't mean a meter'd blockstring one, but an actual block infinite?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity

No not paranoid. Salty. I was never paranoid of quan because of his horribad defence. It was insulting to see a long list of buffs for quan who was already the best Zoner and had some of the best offense. But I never had any illusions about his defense being anywhere near good. His defense is garbage. But that was how he was designed. It is very poor design, but it was how he was designed non the less. You cannot convince me that quan chi needed more help than balanced kenshi. Balanced is a terrible Zoner, with no up close options. He cannot control space like he is supposed to. He just can't. So tell me. Who needed the buff more. A character that is already debatably top 10 with amazing offence with little to no defence, or a character that has nothing going for him. Yes it sucked that quan had a block infinite. But his zoning and mix up game made up for that some what at least. Kenshi needed buffs. Quan could have been put on the side burner for other characters that needed it more. I respect you Dave. You are an insightful player and an excellent Zoner. But I don't believe quan should have gotten this treatment before other characters that actually needed it. Kenshis treatment was a slap in the face. I would not mind these quan buffs IF kenshi got the treatment he deserves but instead he got half added "buffs" that they threw at kenshi not really knowing how bad they were hoping to stave off the kenshi community. It was insulting.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay

THANK YOU!!!

The Highlander

There can be only one
In the corner ronin block infinites everyone? He's that plus?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I think Quan Chi can be kind of stupid but I don't think he's broken. You have to steamroll him before he steamrolls you. I'm not really a fan of that type of design but it doesn't mean he's broken.