What's new

Why does everyone dislike Man of Steel? Rank your movies.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
X-Men
Blade I&II
The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (Even though they are not really superheroes its a pretty cool movie)
Hellboy
Vampire Hunter D 1985
Constantine

Yes, plus he also killed Zod in the comics...but people don't know this, if they did they'd know Snyder took a page from the books.

Also speaking of which, I noticed nobody had issues when Batman in the first Burton film killed Joker...but yet people have issues with Superman killing Zod(a guy who clearly said he'd kill the human race)
I take issue with it. Its one of the reasons Burton's film really hasn't aged well. Superman may have killed Zod in the comics also, but a lot of stupid stuff happens in the comics and it doesn't make it ok. Like I said, Superman had electrical powers in the comics for a period of time. Doesn't mean the movies have to repeat the same mistakes.

But anyway on this Superman killing topic, I have no issues with it, I think Superman had no choice...what what he going to do? For those who have issues with him killing Zod, let him kill that family? Countless other humans? Give me a break....Superman did that as a last resort and saved the Earth, so I have no issues him killing Zod. In fact I'd have more issues seeing Superman watching or allowing Zod to kill humans way more then him snapping Zod's neck for the better good.

Now, I'm actually afraid to see Doomsday in a movie because god knows Superman "may have to kill him" I don't want to hear the fans crying "OMG Superman don't kill!!" read a comic...
This is flawed reasoning because it works on the assumption that what happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way, when the truth is that what happened happened purely because the filmmakers and writers wanted to shock their audience by having Superman break Zod's neck.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I take issue with it. Its one of the reasons Burton's film really hasn't aged well. Superman may have killed Zod in the comics also, but a lot of stupid stuff happens in the comics and it doesn't make it ok. Like I said, Superman had electrical powers in the comics for a period of time. Doesn't mean the movies have to repeat the same mistakes.

This is flawed reasoning because it works on the assumption that what happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way, when the truth is that what happened happened purely because the filmmakers and writers wanted to shock their audience by having Superman break Zod's neck.
Point is people didn't complain nearly as much with Batman killing but Superman, it's hypocritical. At least in the comics Superman HAS killed...so I have no issues with it. Stupid stuff is relative, what may be stupid to you may be enjoyable for someone else.

It's not flawed reasoning, because again if you watch the movie and know what Zod has planned for Earth it's hardly stupid for Superman to take him out. Zod even tells him this at the end "Either you die, or I die" giving Clark literally few to no options, but hey to be fair what would Superman do exactly as an alternative?

It's flawed logic to think Superman should just "roll over and magically think of something" to stop Zod in that situation rather then kill him. I don't see it as a shocking people, maybe for those who again never read a comic...but rather last resort necessary to stop Zod.

Alexandru Pascu

XBLGT:LordR3van90
Man of Steel was a very average movie. As Superman Cavill was passable, but he was a dreadful Clark Kent. His acting is very one dimensional. Christopher Reeve was FAR superior playing both personas. Compare this Zod and his minions to the ones found in the original Superman Movies. These are far less impressive and memorable. These actors have no presence. No gravitas. There was nothing in the script to make you identify with the characters. It was targeted at a younger audience and it showed in the writing.

IMHO, the best Superhero films (not in order):

The Dark Knight
X-Men: First Class
Batman Begins
Iron Man
Superman I & II
Unbreakable
The Incredibles
Blade I (Forgotten by most lists)
Batman I & II
Spiderman 2
Hellboy
X2
Thor (Because of Loki & Odin, not Thor)

Then there are some sorta superhero movies like Kick-Ass and Chronicle which were pretty good.
I respectfully disagree, the supporting cast gave Man of Steel more gravitas than pretty much any other film on your list. Crowe's Jor-el, Costner's Jonathan, and even Lara were huge. About Cavill he was hardly passable as Supes, he was brilliant. I will however agree with your opinion of his Clark not measuring up to Reeve's but that's mostly due to the nature of how they approached the story. He wasn't ready to play a role yet because he had barely any idea who he was to begin with. I thought it was an interesting take on the character as far as I'm concerned and you can't blame Cavill for it because as you can see towards the end that's basically the point at which he becomes the Clark we're familiar with from the comics or previous films.

Point is people didn't complain nearly as much with Batman killing but Superman, it's hypocritical. At least in the comics Superman HAS killed...so I have no issues with it. Stupid stuff is relative, what may be stupid to you may be enjoyable for someone else.
Batman used to kill people left and right in the comics long before Superman did. Its not hypocritical, it just marks a change in what is expected by a general audience with these characters.....for better or worse.

It's not flawed reasoning, because again if you watch the movie and know what Zod has planned for Earth it's hardly stupid for Superman to take him out. Zod even tells him this at the end "Either you die, or I die" giving Clark literally few to no options, but hey to be fair what would Superman do exactly as an alternative?
No, you're not understanding what I'm saying. The reason that situation was set up is because the writer wrote it that way, purely so that Superman would be forced into a situation where he broke Zod's neck. It didn't have to be that way, but the filmmakers *wanted* superman to break Zod's neck and they wrote around that premise.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Well to each his own, for a action movie and comic book movie I thought it was solid. To be honest most of the complaints were rather silly or petpeeving "oh the suits too dark, he's too insecure, he killed Zod etc" yet in the comics he's been darker, both costume wise and personality, fans forget this was a Smallville like Superman meaning he was unsure what his destiny was, wasn't always confident and finding himself and he's killed Zod in the comics....

But you see the mainstream "Superman fans" don't know this...they go by the 90's cartoon and the 70's and 80's movies...probably don't even read comics.

As far as goofy, it really depends on the writer, version etc. Example, we've seen "low profile Clark Kent" we've seen "goofy Clark Kent" "to himself Clark Kent" etc so that will depend.

I also have no issues with the whole trucker gig, it showed he could have killed him easily or hurt him but chose not too...so his humanside got annoyed, lol I'm sure most heroes would have plus ftr that guy deserved it......I saw him as more finding himself rather then running away, he ran away from everytime he saved someone...for obvious reasons. Til Lois caught on but let's face it most people aren't as smart, determined or persistent as Lois is. Plus being his GF don't hurt either.

I don't consider him a thief really(since I mean the guy only just saved a crapload of people holding an oil rig) so I think I can forgive him for taking someones pants and shirt...

One thing I will agree on is I didn't get why J. Kent said "maybe you should have let them die" that was way off if you've read the comics or watched any other medium of John Kent would never say that...he always told Clark "he believed he'd do the right thing" where as

Sure, everything is opinion based, doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it especially when we have such differing views. For an action movie? It was fine. For a comic book movie? It was fine. For a comic book movie based off Superman it was not. If this was based off Aquaman (with a few things switched around) then it's an okay-good movie. As a Superman movie it's horrendous. Sure, there have been times he's been darker but that's not the Superman character, those are brief lapses in a mostly consistent character. Smallville Superman was, deep down, a good person and he showed it constantly (trying to steer Bart Allen in the right direction, keeping Lex from the darkness, believing in the good in the people he met, etc.). He was a confused teen in Smallville but he was still Clark Kent. He was a 33 year old man in MoS and was not Clark Kent nor did he "become" Clark throughout the course of the movie. Also, Smallville's Jonathon Kent was AMAZING. Ex: Lex gives Clark a car for saving his life and Jonathon tells him to take it back and the conversation, paraphrasing, went like this:

Clark: Dad, I earned this car, I saved the guys life.

Jon: So you think you deserve a prize?

Just great.

Mainstream non-Superman fans know what Superman basically is, for example:

Man Of Steel was crap for:

having bad chemistry between clark and lois
being unnecessarily bleak and joyless
taking itself entirely too seriously
having a blue/orange boring color palette
and most of all, betraying the character of superman

Seriously. Superman is supposed to have a deep caring for people's lives and safety. Meanwhile, he's throwing Zod through building after building, endangering and likely killing huge numbers of people. And then when he's done fighting, he kisses the girl.

I'm sorry. I'm not even a superman fan. But I know that's NOT superman. Superman doesn't stand infront of a crumbling destroyed city, and kiss the girl, while there are probably thousands of people trapped under tons of concrete. If you don't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

We live in a world where Dark/Gritty = Realism = Good and MoS is a darker Superman movie, but the character is not a dark character. There are dark MOMENTS in Superman, as are with Green Arrow, but these are not "dark characters". MoS had a terrible Superman, Clark, Lois, and Jonathon.

He carelessly used his powers purely for revenge because some guy got on his nerves. He's a grown man and some douchebag messed with him so he went "well, I'm gonna mangle and impale his truck with power poles taking away his livelihood, forcing him to pay money to the company he works for, do a ton of damage to the town as some areas are gonna be without power and leave them to foot the bill cuz this guy was a dick". If a man of his power can get so violent over such nonsense then Lex Luthor is justified in his crusade. "Many heroes" aren't Superman, Superman doesn't do these things. Finding himself in what way? He traveled the World and settled in an area for a while and looked at a key he was given. He wasn't looking for answers, just reflecting on everything that happened and every time he did something super powered he left for the next town. He was a lost runaway, not a man traveling to learn more about himself. "Smart"? She did minute research, and I mean MINUTE. She saw he was super powered after she was saved and looked at weird occurrences, followed the trail, interviewed a handful of people, and it lead her straight to Clark Kent. This isn't so much as Lois being "smart" as Clark being incredibly sloppy which, again, he learns not to be from his childhood ventures but not in this movie.

He couldn't leave money for the taken clothes or anything? How does him saving people mean he still didn't just steal some clothes off a clothesline? If I save a bus full of people from a gunmen and then go purse snatch some women because I REALLY need the money does it make me not a thief because I just got done doing a good deed?

Edit: Looks like it wasn't power lines so take that part out.

I respectfully disagree, the supporting cast gave Man of Steel more gravitas than pretty much any other film on your list. Crowe's Jor-el, Costner's Jonathan, and even Lara were huge. About Cavill he was hardly passable as Supes, he was brilliant. I will however agree with your opinion of his Clark not measuring up to Reeve's but that's mostly due to the nature of how they approached the story. He wasn't ready to play a role yet because he had barely any idea who he was to begin with. I thought it was an interesting take on the character as far as I'm concerned and you can't blame Cavill for it because as you can see towards the end that's basically the point at which he becomes the Clark we're familiar with from the comics or previous films.

Jonathon was TERRIBLE, Joe-El/Lara were fine and Cavill played a terrible Supes/Clark but that's because of the way they were written/directed.

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I dislike it because it's a joyless, uncaring melodramtic action movie where the main characters are kind of idiotic and just straight terrible based off of Superman. These characters were a poor representation of the ones they were supposed to be and the film was just nonsense.
well im no movie critic but joyless uncaring melodramatic just sounds like you personally didnt like the tone of the movie. care to explain how the characters were idiotic and poorly represented? im not trying to be condescending i just havent seen the movie and a while lol so i dont remember many instances of blatant stupidity

MKF30

Batman used to kill people left and right in the comics long before Superman did. Its not hypocritical, it just marks a change in what is expected by a general audience with these characters.....for better or worse.

No, you're not understanding what I'm saying. The reason that situation was set up is because the writer wrote it that way, purely so that Superman would be forced into a situation where he broke Zod's neck. It didn't have to be that way, but the filmmakers *wanted* superman to break Zod's neck and they wrote around that premise.
He used Guns though, that version of Batman in the first movie was based off the post gun/post kill Batman...so yes it is hypocritical.

I'm hearing what you're saying, I'm saying given the plot and what Zod was going to do(despite who wrote it) that was Clark's only option at that point. I'm fine with it, but to each his own.

Sure, everything is opinion based, doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it especially when we have such differing views. For an action movie? It was fine. For a comic book movie? It was fine. For a comic book movie based off Superman it was not. If this was based off Aquaman (with a few things switched around) then it's an okay-good movie. As a Superman movie it's horrendous. Sure, there have been times he's been darker but that's not the Superman character, those are brief lapses in a mostly consistent character. Smallville Superman was, deep down, a good person and he showed it constantly (trying to steer Bart Allen in the right direction, keeping Lex from the darkness, believing in the good in the people he met, etc.). He was a confused teen in Smallville but he was still Clark Kent. He was a 33 year old man in MoS and was not Clark Kent nor did he "become" Clark throughout the course of the movie. Also, Smallville's Jonathon Kent was AMAZING. Ex: Lex gives Clark a car for saving his life and Jonathon tells him to take it back and the conversation, paraphrasing, went like this:

Clark: Dad, I earned this car, I saved the guys life.

Jon: So you think you deserve a prize?

Just great.

Mainstream non-Superman fans know what Superman basically is, for example:

We live in a world where Dark/Gritty = Realism = Good and MoS is a darker Superman movie, but the character is not a dark character. There are dark MOMENTS in Superman, as are with Green Arrow, but these are not "dark characters". MoS had a terrible Superman, Clark, Lois, and Jonathon.

He carelessly used his powers purely for revenge because some guy got on his nerves. He's a grown man and some douchebag messed with him so he went "well, I'm gonna mangle and impale his truck with power poles taking away his livelihood, forcing him to pay money to the company he works for, do a ton of damage to the town as some areas are gonna be without power and leave them to foot the bill cuz this guy was a dick". If a man of his power can get so violent over such nonsense then Lex Luthor is justified in his crusade. "Many heroes" aren't Superman, Superman doesn't do these things. Finding himself in what way? He traveled the World and settled in an area for a while and looked at a key he was given. He wasn't looking for answers, just reflecting on everything that happened and every time he did something super powered he left for the next town. He was a lost runaway, not a man traveling to learn more about himself. "Smart"? She did minute research, and I mean MINUTE. She saw he was super powered after she was saved and looked at weird occurrences, followed the trail, interviewed a handful of people, and it lead her straight to Clark Kent. This isn't so much as Lois being "smart" as Clark being incredibly sloppy which, again, he learns not to be from his childhood ventures but not in this movie.

He couldn't leave money for the taken clothes or anything? How does him saving people mean he still didn't just steal some clothes off a clothesline? If I save a bus full of people from a gunmen and then go purse snatch some women because I REALLY need the money does it make me not a thief because I just got done doing a good deed?

Edit: Looks like it wasn't power lines so take that part out.

Jonathon was TERRIBLE, Joe-El/Lara were fine and Cavill played a terrible Supes/Clark but that's because of the way they were written/directed.
Well, I agree on the Smallville Superman but then that was also based on a SA Superman(Dr. Fate says this in one show) the MOS was more modern obviously and a slightly different take but I'm fine with it.

The thing I loved about MOS unlike Returns was, it was more realistic how the world would react but at the same time keeping that fantasy element. He didn't endanger anyone with the truck, in fact he did it when clearly nobody was around implying he was sneaky and careful....

Still, I just saw Clark (with the taking clothes, the truck etc) as finding himself, deep down he's a good guy I mean he saved those guys from the oil rig, the bus etc now if he had LEFT that chance because "he was confused" and said ehh not saving them cause I don't know if it's the right thing, THEN I'd totally agree with you but he did save them. It showed Clark being more human, even Smallville version did this with red K(choosing to take it at the end of second season) choosing to not listen to John or Jor-el etc sure he was younger but he's never done that in the comics per-se. Not that I have issues with Smallville, I don't...am just pointing out that other versions have also done the same thing.

How was the chemistry bad between Clark and Lois? If anything it was maybe rushed how they fell for each other, otherwise it was pretty solid chemistry. Maybe not as smooth as Smallville's but then that had more time to mature, a movie or game you have limited time to construct a storyline.

The age thing just blame the director, but still for overall movie and Superman movie for 2014 I thought it was good. A newer, updated take on Superman and change is something always controversial. Some people like it, others don't. It's always going to be like that. I really enjoyed MOS, I do agree with you that John Kent could have been better( loved Martha though) and Lois, and I wasn't that pleased with Perry...(aside from a black perry) not racist or anything I just hate it when movies stray too far from source material with looks of a character, I mean same thing with Marvel and black human torch? The rest of them look in their early 20s....? I think people worry too much about political correctness vs. staying true to comic course material.

But pretty much how you feel about MOS, I felt about Superman Returns...one you want un Superman like? He's NEVER leave earth for 5 years for a failed, random and pointless mission(Krypton was gone, so because a few Earth Scientists believed otherwise he leaves for 5 years? please...) Lois would NEVER go from "loving Superman to hating Superman" for any reason unless he maybe killed people for fun or something....(which he'd never do) and of course making Superman STUPID looking for Lex, "landing on his island without even considering hmm trap maybe?" Of course the whole hybrid baby thing but I could maybe get by that if not for the rest of the movie...even though two entirely different species.

I can just go into a hell of a lot more issues I had with Superman Returns over MOS....In regards to a general movie, Superman Returns was entertaining but it's obvious Singer should stick to Marvel films...another thing compare box office reception, MOS smashed Returns...and rightfully so. To me, Superman Returns wasn't a Superman movie, MOS was. Returns came off as a "chick super hero flick" saving planes, waving to crowds.....not even the older Superman films were that cliche, the guy fought 3 Kryptonians and a clone of himself but in Singers version nearly dies and gets dooped by Lex(who he already knows is smart and evil) just so dumb imo.

But that all being said, to each his own.

I'll gladly take MOS any day over Superman:Returns.

Last edited:

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
So a changing of what Superman fundamentally is (not talking the goofiness but the kindness, caring, inspirational stuff) dictates a "refreshing" take. So, if Batman was suddenly a Spider-man esque character with Quips to villains it'd be refreshing because it's a different take on his darkness? Batman and Robin did that and it sucked LARGELY because of how "not Batman" Batman was. MoS Superman is NOT Superman. Again, Clark has not been a fumbling News Reporter in DECADES (not counting mainstream stuff) and the bumbling served the purpose of keeping suspicion off him. I never liked bumbling Clark but it was what it was.

To be fair, and I don't know if this was already said, but Batman being dark and brooding is actually what he changed to from the "quippy, funny, humorous" batman from the 60's.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Man of Steegl crap because..... Russell Crowe closing doors with the power of his mind. Best part goes to Kevin Costner getting squished.

He used Guns though, that version of Batman in the first movie was based off the post gun/post kill Batman...so yes it is hypocritical.
That's like the equivalent of me saying its hypocritical for fans to be ok with an armored Batman but not an armored Superman even though the comics have them both sporting it today. There is no hypocrisy. Even if I agreed with your point, and I don't, you're still comparing two completely different characters. I don't think Superman or Batman should kill but I'm open to the idea of other superheroes who do. Would that make me a hypocrite?

I'm hearing what you're saying, I'm saying given the plot and what Zod was going to do(despite who wrote it) that was Clark's only option at that point. I'm fine with it, but to each his own.
No, see, right there, my emphasis, that's what you're missing. The plot was not a given that they had to go with. They could have done something entirely different.
Question, have you played the Mass Effect series?

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
well im no movie critic but joyless uncaring melodramatic just sounds like you personally didnt like the tone of the movie. care to explain how the characters were idiotic and poorly represented? im not trying to be condescending i just havent seen the movie and a while lol so i dont remember many instances of blatant stupidity

Because it's not the tone of Superman's verse. If Watchman was some bright movie people would be up in arms because that verse is so dark.

"Also, how dumb is Lois? She drives up to the Kent farm with two officers after Aliens flung a car through their farm and sees a fully decked out Superman at which point she runs up screaming "Clark" and he responds while the cops are 20 feet away."

Clark does a poor job of covering his tracks.

Jonathon dies saving a dog because he wants to protect Clark's secret when Clark could've thrown him and Jon into the car, protect Jon and let the tornado sweep the car away and say it was a "miracle" they survived. Who's gonna go "Clark must be an alien" based off a miracle that has happened before?

Lois is taken aboard Zod's ship and sent into a room that allows he to access the ships mainframe because......

Kryptonians didn't teraform another planet because....

Jonathon saying Clark should let people die.

Clark deciding that killing Zod was the only way: not putting his hand over Zod's eyes, not jumping up with Zod to get them out of that area, not pulling Zod's head away, killing him.

I have seen the movie only once so this is all I've got from memory.

MKF30

@ TaffyMeat, You know Jor-El was able to do that because it was a program right? He didn't have power of his mind, it was his program that was called a hologram...

Compos, the Lois going back with a car well she's human....she can't run fast lol like Flash or Superman plus by that time, Zod's crew had fled anyway after their fight with Superman in Smallville. Clark seemed to cover his tracks at least well enough until he met Lois...it's Lois though. They didn't terraform another planet because they needed the DNA to recreated Krypton which was within Clark/Superman, who was living on Earth...that would be why.

Kent saved the dog, but told Clark not to save him because he didn't want him exposed much like the same John Kent didn't want Clark in Smallville show not to just use his powers liberally....we saw a world where he revealed himself as Clark Kent-Superman and how did that turn out? Not good...Clark couldn't just blitz save him because he was still a teenager and thus all his powers werent evolved or to full potential(ie how fast he is at the end of MOS vs. beginning)

Lois was never granted access to the ship, she brought on the "S" chip from Clark's ship which was programmed by Jor-el, she put it into Zod's ship and thus took over programming in result helping Lois escape...

That's like the equivalent of me saying its hypocritical for fans to be ok with an armored Batman but not an armored Superman even though the comics have them both sporting it today. There is no hypocrisy. Even if I agreed with your point, and I don't, you're still comparing two completely different characters. I don't think Superman or Batman should kill but I'm open to the idea of other superheroes who do. Would that make me a hypocrite?

No, see, right there, my emphasis, that's what you're missing. The plot was not a given that they had to go with. They could have done something entirely different.
Question, have you played the Mass Effect series?
How is armored suit/costume compare to a characters personality, ethic and moral code? So yes there is hypocrisy, that's a way off analogy. You're trying to compare costumes from different eras with their moral code...

My point is not to compare Supes or Bats, but rather that Superman has killed people to save others(not counting the evil versions obviously) and even if you go back past 15 years or so you can find Superman killing someone or some thing, where as Batman hasn't killed in like what....over 50 years? Much less used guns. I see what you're saying but I don't think you're seeing my point honestly. We seem to be talking about two entirely different matters.

Only the first ME game. I prefer to play games that have more of a constant action to some degree, fighter, racer etc. ME is a great series, don't get me wrong I just get bored fast with the talking, walking all over the place. .

Last edited:

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
are you serious? have you ever watched any of the animated shows. literally on every episode he would throw someone through a building. don't even get me started about the justice league animated shows because in those the destruction was ten times worse. just go watch a few episodes and then watch man of steel again, it will feel like child's play.

As for the movie. I think the only problem worth mentioning is the chemistry between clark and lois, it felt bland and forced. I think cavill did a good job playing superman. and for those saying it was passable, superman isn't made to be like a character with a lot of intelligent lines, just listen to how he speaks in the animated shows and in the comics. I think cavill did a great job at playing what the character is. And I also like the movie taking itself seriously to me it's what seperates it from marvel movies which literally cram jokes down your throat every 5 minutes, to the point that when I've gone to see an ironman movie it was listed as a comedy. The serious side also make it feel like more of a reality. overall I give it a 8.5/10 I think if they capture a good chemistry with lois and clark in mos2 then I would enjoy it more, they also need to capture a good relationship with batman and superman.

RIF

Noob
I don't think we watched the same film.

Jonathan Kent was NOT a great character in this movie. His mother was a wash. Crowe was okay. Cavill was an average superman. What did he do that made you think he was the right guy for the role?

MKF30

are you serious? have you ever watched any of the animated shows. literally on every episode he would throw someone through a building. don't even get me started about the justice league animated shows because in those the destruction was ten times worse. just go watch a few episodes and then watch man of steel again, it will feel like child's play.

As for the movie. I think the only problem worth mentioning is the chemistry between clark and lois, it felt bland and forced. I think cavill did a good job playing superman. and for those saying it was passable, superman isn't made to be like a character with a lot of intelligent lines, just listen to how he speaks in the animated shows and in the comics. I think cavill did a great job at playing what the character is. And I also like the movie taking itself seriously to me it's what seperates it from marvel movies which literally cram jokes down your throat every 5 minutes, to the point that when I've gone to see an ironman movie it was listed as a comedy. The serious side also make it feel like more of a reality. overall I give it a 8.5/10 I think if they capture a good chemistry with lois and clark in mos2 then I would enjoy it more, they also need to capture a good relationship with batman and superman.
Agreed, or in Injustice punching people through what? 10 buildings, multiple floors etc lol I remember someone complained on comicvine with that "Superman was blowing up cars tossed by Black Adam, the people!!!" lol like sometimes in games, movies, shows etc(even comics at times) certain liberties are taken into account, plus Black Adam has electrical magic powers who's to say he couldn't just start up a car to drive to him by charging it...people don't even consider these things you know? It's like, people can't just enjoy a game or movie, they have to petpeeve over dumb shit.

For the record, this is only the case because Richard Lester is an idiot and a hack. Richard Donner who was the original director actually filmed a scene with the authorities taking the 3 away that he chose to cut. Also, maybe I was just a stupid kid, but at the young age I saw that movie it honestly didn't even occur to me at the time that Superman had killed them because....well....superman doesn't kill. I think I just assumed they were frozen in the fortress or something.
For whatever reason be it in the comics or the movies DC has a bad habit of having Supes kill Zod...but I personally chock it up to the same stuff the writers were smoking when they came up with his blue electrical suit. It's always been a bad idea IMO.
he's programmed to save krypton, so he had to revolt

How is armored suit/costume compare to a characters personality, ethic and moral code? So yes there is hypocrisy, that's a way off analogy. You're trying to compare costumes from different eras with their moral code...

My point is not to compare Supes or Bats, but rather that Superman has killed people to save others(not counting the evil versions obviously) and even if you go back past 15 years or so you can find Superman killing someone or some thing, where as Batman hasn't killed in like what....over 50 years? Much less used guns. I see what you're saying but I don't think you're seeing my point honestly. We seem to be talking about two entirely different matters.
I'm not comparing their costumes to their personalities/moral code, and for the record, I know for a fact Batman has killed within the last few years using a gun (although there were some mumbo jumbo time reset shenanigans used to undo it at the end of the arc).
Your point seems to center around the idea that because something is a certain way in the comics that makes it ok in the movies and people are being hypocrites. I'm trying to explain to you that that's simply not the case at all. Again, are people not allowed to complain if Superman shows up in the next movie with a blue electrical suit just because it happened in the comics?

Also, as far as me trying to compare "different eras", you're bringing up the reaction of Batman Killing the joker in 1989 to the reaction of Superman killing someone in a movie in the year 2013.

he's programmed to save krypton, so he had to revolt
Except the opening also strongly hints that part of his motivation is his own personal ambition to control the bloodlines of Krypton's genetic future. No matter how you swing it, this idea that Zod is somehow a slave to his "programming" is overwhelmingly contradicted througout the story by his own actions. It just does. not. work. with the information the film provides.

His motivation would have made more sense in the context of the reeve era where the council didn't believe Jor-El and even sent security guards to stop him from causing a panic in spite of the evidence he had.

MKF30

I'm not comparing their costumes to their personalities/moral code, and for the record, I know for a fact Batman has killed within the last few years using a gun (although there were some mumbo jumbo time reset shenanigans used to undo it at the end of the arc).
Your point seems to center around the idea that because something is a certain way in the comics that makes it ok in the movies and people are being hypocrites. I'm trying to explain to you that that's simply not the case at all. Again, are people not allowed to complain if Superman shows up in the next movie with a blue electrical suit just because it happened in the comics?

Also, as far as me trying to compare "different eras", you're bringing up the reaction of Batman Killing the joker in 1989 to the reaction of Superman killing someone in a movie in the year 2013.
I don't know what arch you can possibly be referring to that's not a 40's comic or alternate universe Batman because I assure you Batman has not killed anyone recently with a gun(the mainstream Earth Batman) aka in New 52 if it was something retconned then it's retconned. I'm referring to the canon, current however.

My point is 99% of the people who have issues with MOS tend to hate it cause of the Zod element...(with really nothing else to go on, ignore the plot, the action, special effects, acting etc which was good)yet he's done that in the comics(not currently) but pre N52 story he killed Zod. I have no issues with those disliking or liking the movie, but a hypocritical reasoning why they don't or if not hypocritical, often trivial. Example, few people on comivine were bitching over "his suit being too dark in color" like really? Because shade of a costume defines everything, Spiderman's costumes in the movies are darker then the comics too....

Why would Superman show up in a random blue electrical suit exactly? But if he did and it was clearly based on that arch, yes I'd say why are they complaining. But that's not going to happen.

Yes, people in the 80's weren't as anal as they are now with that sort of thing. If that's what you're trying to say. That door swings both ways, in this case this is the MOS/Superman of 2014...not 1970's....

Except the opening also strongly hints that part of his motivation is his own personal ambition to control the bloodlines of Krypton's genetic future. No matter how you swing it, this idea that Zod is somehow a slave to his "programming" is overwhelmingly contradicted througout the story by his own actions. It just does. not. work. with the information the film provides.

His motivation would have made more sense in the context of the reeve era where the council didn't believe Jor-El and even sent security guards to stop him from causing a panic in spite of the evidence he had.

i'll have to watch it again, not that i really care 2, i feel they should have focused more on the size of the world in comparison to superman and not being able to be everywhere at once, and also more on zod's arrival and zod in general. they tried to do too many things and didn't do many of them that well.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Well, I agree on the Smallville Superman but then that was also based on a SA Superman(Dr. Fate says this in one show) the MOS was more modern obviously and a slightly different take but I'm fine with it.

The thing I loved about MOS unlike Returns was, it was more realistic how the world would react but at the same time keeping that fantasy element. He didn't endanger anyone with the truck, in fact he did it when clearly nobody was around implying he was sneaky and careful....

Still, I just saw Clark (with the taking clothes, the truck etc) as finding himself, deep down he's a good guy I mean he saved those guys from the oil rig, the bus etc now if he had LEFT that chance because "he was confused" and said ehh not saving them cause I don't know if it's the right thing, THEN I'd totally agree with you but he did save them. It showed Clark being more human, even Smallville version did this with red K(choosing to take it at the end of second season) choosing to not listen to John or Jor-el etc sure he was younger but he's never done that in the comics per-se. Not that I have issues with Smallville, I don't...am just pointing out that other versions have also done the same thing.

How was the chemistry bad between Clark and Lois? If anything it was maybe rushed how they fell for each other, otherwise it was pretty solid chemistry. Maybe not as smooth as Smallville's but then that had more time to mature, a movie or game you have limited time to construct a storyline.

The age thing just blame the director, but still for overall movie and Superman movie for 2014 I thought it was good. A newer, updated take on Superman and change is something always controversial. Some people like it, others don't. It's always going to be like that. I really enjoyed MOS, I do agree with you that John Kent could have been better( loved Martha though) and Lois, and I wasn't that pleased with Perry...(aside from a black perry) not racist or anything I just hate it when movies stray too far from source material with looks of a character, I mean same thing with Marvel and black human torch? The rest of them look in their early 20s....? I think people worry too much about political correctness vs. staying true to comic course material.

But pretty much how you feel about MOS, I felt about Superman Returns...one you want un Superman like? He's NEVER leave earth for 5 years for a failed, random and pointless mission(Krypton was gone, so because a few Earth Scientists believed otherwise he leaves for 5 years? please...) Lois would NEVER go from "loving Superman to hating Superman" for any reason unless he maybe killed people for fun or something....(which he'd never do) and of course making Superman STUPID looking for Lex, "landing on his island without even considering hmm trap maybe?" Of course the whole hybrid baby thing but I could maybe get by that if not for the rest of the movie...even though two entirely different species.

I can just go into a hell of a lot more issues I had with Superman Returns over MOS....In regards to a general movie, Superman Returns was entertaining but it's obvious Singer should stick to Marvel films...another thing compare box office reception, MOS smashed Returns...and rightfully so. To me, Superman Returns wasn't a Superman movie, MOS was. Returns came off as a "chick super hero flick" saving planes, waving to crowds.....not even the older Superman films were that cliche, the guy fought 3 Kryptonians and a clone of himself but in Singers version nearly dies and gets dooped by Lex(who he already knows is smart and evil) just so dumb imo.

But that all being said, to each his own.

I'll gladly take MOS any day over Superman:Returns.

The more Modern Superman are the ones from New 52 and their nothing like Man of Steel's Superman (except the douchebaggery of Justice League Superman). "Modernizing" Superman is not the same as "changing a vast amount of the Superman character and his World".

Yes, the World would probably react poorly to a Superman but Returns was a continuation of the original Superman movies so they were already well acquainted with Superman opposed to an "origin". That still doesn't make it right? A man that gets angry from another one and takes a brick to the guy's windshield when no one is around isn't "alright", now multiply that but 100x.

"Deep down he's a good guy"? No, he simply saved some people but that doesn't make him "good". Deadpool saves people all the time but he is NOT a "good guy" deep down. Punisher saves people all the time but he's not a "good guy" deep down. If Clark was going around robbing ATMs, flipping cars in parking lots for the fun of it, being a dick to people and loved ones but went and put out a fire he's not a "good guy". Did you ever see Hancock? Imagine if Clark was like Hancock in the first half of the movie but he "saved" people, he's not a "good guy" and never shows being one in the movie.

A newer, updated take on a character is fine but if you're changing the things that make that character "that character" then it's a bad adaptation. MoS strays FAR from the Superman/Clark/Jonathon characters, maybe not the lore of it but definitely the characters themselves.

World of New Krypton: "In the build-up to this series, Superman agrees to a deal with his aunt Alura that he renounce his allegiance to Earth and severs ties there in order to live on New Krypton with his people." It wasn't five years and he did it to build the relationship between Krypton and Earth but he has left Earth for Krypton before. But no, for some "hope" he wouldn't leave Earth for Krypton but it's believable that Superman feels so alone that ANY hope of Kryptonians out there he wants to explore and exhaust every avenue. The MoS was not believable in the things that it did as Clark/Superman. I don't think she "hated" Superman, I think she was bitter towards him and wrote why he was no longer needed. Later in the film she even visits him in a hospital when he's injured and kisses him. Superman has fallen for Lex's nonsense many times because of his A) complete trust in people ( a severe fault that has gotten him in trouble with people) and B) the threat of people in danger. I don't remember why he landed on the island but I gotta assume it was the latter.

SR has a lot of problems and so does MoS, just because MoS is a better movie than SR doesn't make it a good movie or a good Superman movie, or even a "better" Superman movie. It just makes it a better overall movie than SR. You're comparing the two movies and I'm just taking MoS as its own thing and, as its own thing, it fails as a Superman movie.

To be fair, and I don't know if this was already said, but Batman being dark and brooding is actually what he changed to from the "quippy, funny, humorous" batman from the 60's.

Many of the mainstream comics started with nonsense like that before they started to break off into their own thing. Batman was campy as hell before they decided to start taking it in another direction and "Batman" was truly born instead of "Hero X without powers". Seriously, find some original strips for some of these comics online and just look at the ridiculous camp of many of them.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
he doesn't have to be perfect to be a good guy

No, he has to be a good guy. Superman, in all forms of media, has flaws and makes mistakes but he's a good person when it's all over. What makes MoS Superman a good person? Just saving people doesn't make a person "good".

"If Clark wanted to, he could use his superspeed and squish me into the cement. But I know how he thinks. Even more than the Kryptonite, he's got one big weakness. Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not."

Batman saves people too but he knows he's not a good person so, again, what makes MoS Superman a "good person"?

Edit:

Here's a better way to put it: Is Injustice Superman a good person? He essentially takes over the World and even kills people so that the streets are safe. He's saved thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands from thievery, injury and/or death from common criminals to super villains through this initiative so does that make him "good"? Let's even take away the killing people part, is he a good person?

Last edited: