What's new

Why does everyone dislike Man of Steel? Rank your movies.

MOS was pretty damn good. I honestly have no idea how people didn't like it or flat out hated it. Action scenes were intense, score was incredible, drama was solid. I personally prefer MOS over Avengers.
that's not saying much because avengers was a piece of shit

I've watched Man of Steel 3x and I love it. It's different from the idea that was pounded into our brain of what Superman is suppose to be and it was refreshing. I skipped out seeing it in theaters because I don't like the fumbling news reporting character. I find it cheesy as all hell. I was delightfully surprised when I finally watched it. Another reason I liked MOS so much is because there was a connection to the characters, which some would disagree with. Clark recently discovered his true potential and you could see him struggling with it throughout the fighting sequences. I also enjoyed that his personal emotions were revealed when Zod placed his hands on his "mother." I still find myself rooting for Zod when he is on his knees and reveals his whole purpose of being born was to protect Krypton and the people that inhabit it. He was in tears and I felt for the guy because he was doing it for the greater good of his people. It was what he was brought into the world to do. There is no getting around it and he failed. His whole purpose for existing was destroyed by Superman,which lead to a great action sequence between the two.

A lot of people do not care for the idiotic Clark Kent character. Those days should be behind us. People that never gave two shits about Superman loved MOS for the same reasons DC nerds loathed it lol.
idiotic (actually more like goofy) clark is so much better than, non-existent clark... they just stuck a pretty guy and had him lift things in to the role so they could appeal to female audience, which i am fine with but to be so bland and undeveloped.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nobody here can honestly tell me MOS wasn't far better then Superman 3, 4 and that disaster by Singer Superman Returns....or I shall laugh at you. MOS was a new take, reboot on Superman so you're not going to get that "1940's goofy, goody goody Superman" right off the bat, we are afterall in 2014, not the 40's, 50's...

What I loved about MOS was how unsure Superman was, it was a perfect mix of Smallville/Superman 2 mythos in so many ways even down to the easter eggs(if you pay close attention a la things like Lexcorp, Wayne satellites and Sullivan farm etc."

Is it because he has F23?

On a serious note, what's with the general opinion that it was a "bad" movie. I've nearly seen most all super hero movies that have been coming out of late, and I say it was pretty amazing. Probably in my top 5 of comic based movies maybe.

This is a rough list of all the movies I remember that I think are top tier.

Avengers is overrated as fuck, it wasn't the holy grail of comic book movies, it was just good. These are all the movies which I think are better than The Avengers, and generally just as good as each other.

Batman Begins
Spiderman 1
X-Men - First Class
Thor
The Dark Knight
Hulk (Edward Norton)
Man of Steel
Iron Man 1
Watchmen
30 Days of Night
Hellboy
Dredd

I think this is it for me, can't really think much, maybe I'm missing some, but these for me have been the best of the comic bunch that have released.
I agree, as far as I'm concerned Avengers was no different then your average solid comic movie. Still, that being said I thought MOS was much better, darker and more serious. And best comic book movie EVER to date is still Dark Knight, don't care what anyone says. The acting alone in that movie owns Avengers....

One of my best pals is a Marvel fan, he enjoys Batman and MOS but tried telling me "avengers is better cause DC movies are so damn dark, serious all the time" so I told him "well in a world take over situation be it Avengers or MOS, you SHOULD be serious I mean Marvel movies try to compensate by wasting half the movie of the good guys fighting each other "for eye candy" and might as well be comedies now at times(Hulk bodying Loki literally) I mean this guy is the big, bad threat and you make the raging monster of all of them take him out in seconds...) *yawn*

Last edited:

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Man Of Steel was crap for:

having bad chemistry between clark and lois
being unnecessarily bleak and joyless
taking itself entirely too seriously
having a blue/orange boring color palette
and most of all, betraying the character of superman

Seriously. Superman is supposed to have a deep caring for people's lives and safety. Meanwhile, he's throwing Zod through building after building, endangering and likely killing huge numbers of people. And then when he's done fighting, he kisses the girl.

I'm sorry. I'm not even a superman fan. But I know that's NOT superman. Superman doesn't stand infront of a crumbling destroyed city, and kiss the girl, while there are probably thousands of people trapped under tons of concrete. If you don't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.
Solid point but one could argue that he was doing it for the greater good. If he just let Zod go (or didn't fight his hardest) he would have murdered EVERYONE instead of just a couple hundred in a city. Zod was literally trying to glass the planet. Even Superman has to see that you have to sacrifice a few to save many. One of the first things he does in the movie is save a whole oil rig of people, so they did give the idea that he values human life. The one thing I can't argue is the kiss, that should have been saved for when they had better chemistry or after he was done saving any lives still in danger.

I also don't believe the movie took itself too seriously or was joyless. There were plenty of light hearted jokes. (The interrogation scene, the end scene with the drone, etc.) It wasn't as light hearted or funny as one of the Marvel movies like Iron Man but to call it joyless seems like a stretch.

I could rant for hours about how much I despise man of steel....but I don't have the time to type all my thoughts out ATM. Suffice it to say, aside from being loud and dumb, it's also insanely pretentious. Marvel movies like Thor have a plethora of plotholes and dumb moments, but they have the sense to keep a sense of humor about themselves. Man of steel is just such a mess of tone and themes that its a trainwreck IMO. Take the :SPOILERS: most controversial part where he kills Zod for example. Its supposed to be this big huge dramatic moment where Superman is ultimately forced to betray his own code of ethics.

One problem though: its never established that Superman has a no kill code in the movie. Oh sure, he saved people earlier in the movie, but Johnathan Kent basically tells him that he should let people die rather than reveal his secret and that's exactly what Clark does when push comes to shove. The whole climax of the movie makes no sense.

Nobody here can honestly tell me MOS wasn't far better then Superman 3, 4 and that disaster by Singer Superman Returns....or I shall laugh at you. MOS was a new take, reboot on Superman so you're not going to get that "1940's goofy, goody goody Superman" right off the bat, we are afterall in 2014, not the 40's, 50's...

What I loved about MOS was how unsure Superman was, it was a perfect mix of Smallville/Superman 2 mythos in so many ways even down to the easter eggs(if you pay close attention a la things like Lexcorp, Wayne satellites and Sullivan farm etc."

I agree, as far as I'm concerned Avengers was no different then your average solid comic movie. Still, that being said I thought MOS was much better, darker and more serious. And best comic book movie EVER to date is still Dark Knight, don't care what anyone says. The acting alone in that movie owns Avengers....

One of my best pals is a Marvel fan, he enjoys Batman and MOS but tried telling me "avengers is better cause DC movies are so damn dark, serious all the time" so I told him "well in a world take over situation be it Avengers or MOS, you SHOULD be serious I mean Marvel movies try to compensate by wasting half the movie of the good guys fighting each other "for eye candy" and might as well be comedies now at times(Hulk bodying Loki literally) I mean this guy is the big, bad threat and you make the raging monster of all of them take him out in seconds...) *yawn*
being better than superman 3 and 4 isn't saying much

also, your average comic book movie is pretty bad

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Time to start responding to people.

As far as a "Superman" movie? Absolutely. As far as movies? No way. Edit: Talking about Returns, not 3/4.

Thing is, Supes is not goofy nor does he need to be to still have the value bestowed upon him by his parents: be a good person, value life, these powers give you responsibilities that you can't shirk, protect those that can't protect themselves and, regardless of what anyone says, you are a human. Here's a sequence (from a largely terrible Superman comic) that shows he can be an inspiration and great person without being some smiling doofus:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

Wonderful sequence (but seriously, TERRIBLE comic)

Now, here's what you learn about Clark in the first 20 minutes of him being on screen in MoS.

He saves a bunch of people, he takes revenge on some trucker that was razzing him at a restaurant, he ran away from home, he saved a bus full of kids at which point his father says he should have maybe let them die, he's still running away, his mother helped him cope with his powers, he steals some guys clothes.

So, in those twenty minutes, he's shown to be a petty douchebag and thief that had a troubling past and a father that didn't really support his "powers" so he ran away. This is not Superman, this is not Jonathon Kent, this is not Clark Kent.

MKF30

being better than superman 3 and 4 isn't saying much

also, your average comic book movie is pretty bad
It says a lot given as how not even C. Reeves couldn't even save those movies. Your second statement is pure opinion. Depends on the movie....

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I like Superman returns and MOS was alright. I like the first 2 Spideys, I like Dark Knight and TDKR, Batman Begins was alright, Batman 89 was awesome, Batman and Robin was alright, Avengers and the first 2 Iron Men movies were good, didn't like IM 3 or either Thor. Haven't liked a single Hulk movie

this is just off the top of my head

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I've watched Man of Steel 3x and I love it. It's different from the idea that was pounded into our brain of what Superman is suppose to be and it was refreshing. I skipped out seeing it in theaters because I don't like the fumbling news reporting character. I find it cheesy as all hell. I was delightfully surprised when I finally watched it. Another reason I liked MOS so much is because there was a connection to the characters, which some would disagree with. Clark recently discovered his true potential and you could see him struggling with it throughout the fighting sequences. I also enjoyed that his personal emotions were revealed when Zod placed his hands on his "mother." I still find myself rooting for Zod when he is on his knees and reveals his whole purpose of being born was to protect Krypton and the people that inhabit it. He was in tears and I felt for the guy because he was doing it for the greater good of his people. It was what he was brought into the world to do. There is no getting around it and he failed. His whole purpose for existing was destroyed by Superman,which lead to a great action sequence between the two.

A lot of people do not care for the idiotic Clark Kent character. Those days should be behind us. People that never gave two shits about Superman loved MOS for the same reasons DC nerds loathed it lol.

So a changing of what Superman fundamentally is (not talking the goofiness but the kindness, caring, inspirational stuff) dictates a "refreshing" take. So, if Batman was suddenly a Spider-man esque character with Quips to villains it'd be refreshing because it's a different take on his darkness? Batman and Robin did that and it sucked LARGELY because of how "not Batman" Batman was. MoS Superman is NOT Superman. Again, Clark has not been a fumbling News Reporter in DECADES (not counting mainstream stuff) and the bumbling served the purpose of keeping suspicion off him. I never liked bumbling Clark but it was what it was.

Also, how dumb is Lois? She drives up to the Kent farm with two officers after Aliens flung a car through their farm and sees a fully decked out Superman at which point she runs up screaming "Clark" and he responds while the cops are 20 feet away.

doesn't superman kill zod in whatever of the old ones zod is featured as well?
For the record, this is only the case because Richard Lester is an idiot and a hack. Richard Donner who was the original director actually filmed a scene with the authorities taking the 3 away that he chose to cut. Also, maybe I was just a stupid kid, but at the young age I saw that movie it honestly didn't even occur to me at the time that Superman had killed them because....well....superman doesn't kill. I think I just assumed they were frozen in the fortress or something.
For whatever reason be it in the comics or the movies DC has a bad habit of having Supes kill Zod...but I personally chock it up to the same stuff the writers were smoking when they came up with his blue electrical suit. It's always been a bad idea IMO.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Im not a fan of Superman but i actually really liked Man of Steel. My friend Described it as a very good Clark Kent Movie over a good superman movie. And i agree with him on that. I enjoyed how they showed him trying to figure out who he was. Instead of him being all im superman punch punch punch. This movie was more of a back story kind of movie which i liked. BUT DAT ENDING DOE

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
from what ive seen/heard people only dislike Man of Steel because of theyre own assumptions and not getting the movie they wanted/expected.
it was a great movie but alot of people wanted the typical boring blue boy scout and cant accept that its a new and younger Superman, as for the whole "HE DOESNT KILL" thing well that has to be established i was shocked at first but i understand it, my biggest complaint was Lois figuring out his identity so fast, other than that its a great move and all the complaints are just personal preference things mostly

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
For the record, this is only the case because Richard Lester is an idiot and a hack. Richard Donner who was the original director actually filmed a scene with the authorities taking the 3 away that he chose to cut. Also, maybe I was just a stupid kid, but at the young age I saw that movie it honestly didn't even occur to me at the time that Superman had killed them because....well....superman doesn't kill. I think I just assumed they were frozen in the fortress or something.
For whatever reason be it in the comics or the movies DC has a bad habit of having Supes kill Zod...but I personally chock it up to the same stuff the writers were smoking when they came up with his blue electrical suit. It's always been a bad idea IMO.
Interesting, I never knew this. Crazy how one decision can have such an effect on the character for decades after

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
from what ive seen/heard people only dislike Man of Steel because of theyre own assumptions and not getting the movie they wanted/expected.
it was a great movie but alot of people wanted the typical boring blue boy scout and cant accept that its a new and younger Superman, as for the whole "HE DOESNT KILL" thing well that has to be established i was shocked at first but i understand it, my biggest complaint was Lois figuring out his identity so fast, other than that its a great move and all the complaints are just personal preference things mostly

I dislike it because it's a joyless, uncaring melodramtic action movie where the main characters are kind of idiotic and just straight terrible based off of Superman. These characters were a poor representation of the ones they were supposed to be and the film was just nonsense.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
Lol at all the people think first class was good. Honestly. Man of steel pisses on most of these choices and it had its problems.

Also, Man of Steel's General Zod is the definition of a bill. The movie tries to build this guy up as a more sympathetic version of the Zod character but frankly I thought Terrance Stamps version was honestly more likable by the end. What the hell is MOS Zod's whole motivation to participate in genocide and Terraform? These people are literal gods on our planet. At least Stamp's Zod had a sensible and honest goal in mind.
Set up shop and enjoy yourself as the new god race with homo sapien manservents at your beck and call. The only explanation the movie gives us for why this can't happen is because "the adjustment process is painful" (despite the fact that Zod is shown being just fine after a day or so).
Some people have tried to justify this saying Zod is "programmed" to follow a riggid set of thought and he can't see doing anything else but restoring Krypton.........except that in the films opening he's shown as a revolutionary in the middle of a coup who disagrees with the leaders of his world in complete defiance of traditional military structure....so there's no consistency there either.

Hell, there's never even an explination in the movie why the terraformed world *HAS* to be Earth. Could they not Terraform Mars? Oh wait, then we wouldn't have had a dumb movie.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Im not a fan of Superman but i actually really liked Man of Steel. My friend Described it as a very good Clark Kent Movie over a good superman movie. And i agree with him on that. I enjoyed how they showed him trying to figure out who he was. Instead of him being all im superman punch punch punch. This movie was more of a back story kind of movie which i liked. BUT DAT ENDING DOE

In that time it shows Clark to be an uncaring douche. Bad Clark Kent.

MKF30

Time to start responding to people.

As far as a "Superman" movie? Absolutely. As far as movies? No way. Edit: Talking about Returns, not 3/4.

Thing is, Supes is not goofy nor does he need to be to still have the value bestowed upon him by his parents: be a good person, value life, these powers give you responsibilities that you can't shirk, protect those that can't protect themselves and, regardless of what anyone says, you are a human. Here's a sequence (from a largely terrible Superman comic) that shows he can be an inspiration and great person without being some smiling doofus:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

Wonderful sequence (but seriously, TERRIBLE comic)

Now, here's what you learn about Clark in the first 20 minutes of him being on screen in MoS.

He saves a bunch of people, he takes revenge on some trucker that was razzing him at a restaurant, he ran away from home, he saved a bus full of kids at which point his father says he should have maybe let them die, he's still running away, his mother helped him cope with his powers, he steals some guys clothes.

So, in those twenty minutes, he's shown to be a petty douchebag and thief that had a troubling past and a father that didn't really support his "powers" so he ran away. This is not Superman, this is not Jonathon Kent, this is not Clark Kent.
Well to each his own, for a action movie and comic book movie I thought it was solid. To be honest most of the complaints were rather silly or petpeeving "oh the suits too dark, he's too insecure, he killed Zod etc" yet in the comics he's been darker, both costume wise and personality, fans forget this was a Smallville like Superman meaning he was unsure what his destiny was, wasn't always confident and finding himself and he's killed Zod in the comics....

But you see the mainstream "Superman fans" don't know this...they go by the 90's cartoon and the 70's and 80's movies...probably don't even read comics.

As far as goofy, it really depends on the writer, version etc. Example, we've seen "low profile Clark Kent" we've seen "goofy Clark Kent" "to himself Clark Kent" etc so that will depend.

I also have no issues with the whole trucker gig, it showed he could have killed him easily or hurt him but chose not too...so his humanside got annoyed, lol I'm sure most heroes would have plus ftr that guy deserved it......I saw him as more finding himself rather then running away, he ran away from everytime he saved someone...for obvious reasons. Til Lois caught on but let's face it most people aren't as smart, determined or persistent as Lois is. Plus being his GF don't hurt either.

I don't consider him a thief really(since I mean the guy only just saved a crapload of people holding an oil rig) so I think I can forgive him for taking someones pants and shirt...

One thing I will agree on is I didn't get why J. Kent said "maybe you should have let them die" that was way off if you've read the comics or watched any other medium of John Kent would never say that...he always told Clark "he believed he'd do the right thing" where as the John Kent from MOS told him to hide his secret at any cost...which I disagreed with.

doesn't superman kill zod in whatever of the old ones zod is featured as well?
Yes, plus he also killed Zod in the comics...but people don't know this, if they did they'd know Snyder took a page from the books.

Also speaking of which, I noticed nobody had issues when Batman in the first Burton film killed Joker...but yet people have issues with Superman killing Zod(a guy who clearly said he'd kill the human race)

But anyway on this Superman killing topic, I have no issues with it, I think Superman had no choice...what what he going to do? For those who have issues with him killing Zod, let him kill that family? Countless other humans? Give me a break....Superman did that as a last resort and saved the Earth, so I have no issues him killing Zod. In fact I'd have more issues seeing Superman watching or allowing Zod to kill humans way more then him snapping Zod's neck for the better good.

Now, I'm actually afraid to see Doomsday in a movie because god knows Superman "may have to kill him" I don't want to hear the fans crying "OMG Superman don't kill!!" read a comic...

Last edited: