What's new

Who's getting Shadow of Mordor?

I love LOTR, I love the Batman: Arkham series, and I love Assassin's Creed so I know I'll enjoy this game and I'm definitely getting it. I just wish it went beyond Mordor as far as setting because a big scale open world game in the LOTR world (Middle Earth) would be awesome and free roaming would be insanely fun. That said, the game is called Shadow of "Mordor" so it's not like it was misleading or anything.
If you want an open world large scale game like that, get "Lord of the Rings Online" and be mad at EA for cancelling "The White Council"

E

Eldriken

I'm on the fence about getting it because I heard the Nemesis system on PS3/360 is watered down compared to the One/PS4 version. I don't know by how much yet, however. I'll probably have to give it a look closer to when I'd be able to get it.

It really sucks not having a PS4/One. >_<

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I'm on the fence about getting it because I heard the Nemesis system on PS3/360 is watered down compared to the One/PS4 version. I don't know by how much yet, however. I'll probably have to give it a look closer to when I'd be able to get it.

It really sucks not having a PS4/One. >_<
The nemesis system IS the game, not what it borrows from Batman/AC. I didnt know the system was skimped on last gen but if thats the case I would wait because its the best part of the game.

Last edited:

Vagrant

Noob
This is one I might come back and get later.

There's too much on the horizon (Unity, CoD, Sunset Overdrive, 2k15, Master Chief Collection, Evil Within, Arkham Knight, GTA V, etc.) and I have my hands full with Destiny right now.

E

Eldriken

The nemesis system IS the game, not what it borrows from Batman/AC. I didnt know the system was skimped on last gen but if thats the case I would wait because its the best part of the game.
I know the Nemesis System is the game. But if it's watered down on last-gen consoles, well, there's no point in getting it for one, y'know? I suppose I'll just have to wait.

coolwhip

Noob
This is one I might come back and get later.

There's too much on the horizon (Unity, CoD, Sunset Overdrive, 2k15, Master Chief Collection, Evil Within, Arkham Knight, GTA V, etc.) and I have my hands full with Destiny right now.
Unfortunately Arkham Knight has been pushed for June of next year. That was quite a bummer.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I mean, it's just my opinion. In Arkham I personally felt like I had to direct Batman a bit more than I do Talion.
Oh you meant just targeting the right enemy, thought you meant when attacking someone far away youll still just lunge across the battlefield, that sort of range has been cut but yeah targeting is a little easier.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I know the Nemesis System is the game. But if it's watered down on last-gen consoles, well, there's no point in getting it for one, y'know? I suppose I'll just have to wait.
Yeah thats what Im suggesting, wait til you get an Xbone

Vagrant

Noob
Unfortunately Arkham Knight has been pushed for June of next year. That was quite a bummer.
Oh wow they pushed it THAT far? wow.

I'm not really one to complain about delays like that as long as it helps the game though so at least June will have a new release worth playing.

coolwhip

Noob
Oh wow they pushed it THAT far? wow.

I'm not really one to complain about delays like that as long as it helps the game though so at least June will have a new release worth playing.
Yeah if it means a better, more polished game, and it should, then by all means. I trust Rocksteady Studios and I really think it will end up being among the top 3-5 games of the year.

AssassiN

Noob
Just played it for a bit, game seems really good. Just a bit on the easy side.
Graphics look amazing and it's really well optimized for the PC.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Its a big web of abilities like the Arkham games, but you can customize the bonuses granted to each of your weapons separately. But never mind that because it works with this. Basically the whole game revolves around you killing the orc chiefs and captains within the orc hierarchy of command and how they compare to you. If you kill one of these high ranking orcs, they drop a rune which can be used to customize your weapons or unlock a new character ability. However, the coolest and most unique aspect of this game is the fact that like in Dark Souls, dying is part of this game and you are expected to do it. You know all the videos of the devs playing at the expos and they take like 10-15 hits to go down? FUCK that. They said they played on the easiest difficulties for those to show off as much as possible. Ive been getting dropped on the 3rd hit by regular orcs and been dropped in 2 hits by the big pig dogs and enemies with like spears. So like I was saying, dying matters in this because which over orc kills you, high or low in the pecking order, gets promoted, stronger, and will remember you when you eventually have to come back to kill him. Basically what Ive been doing so far is trying to wipe out some orc captains, but every time I die someone gets promoted and takes the place of the last captain I killed. The nemesis system paired with random generated enemies deals for a lot of busy time (and not the kind that Destiny has). Oh, and I haven't seen a single repeated character model amongst the orcs yet, which only adds to how effective the Nemesis system really is.
The second orc captain I ran into right at the beginning of the game randomly had a power level of 9. Lets just say things didn't go so well for me. :p

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Also I'm going to "rush" through my first playthrough and then download the extra content and replay the game with highlights/sound queues/counter markers turned off on the second try while also doing all the side content.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Anyone think Talion could be a guest character in MKX? Not that I'm dying to see it, but it would make sense. He would fit pretty well. Some of his execution moves are MK level gory.

SoM and MKX are both WB games, so I could see it happening.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So I engaged 5 orc chiefs at once. The fucker with the crossbow kept harassing me and when I lured one in the bushes I stabbed him once and he basically did a backbreaker then I realised too late the circle minigame and he cut off my head.

I'm currently 12 hours in the game: my first impressions of the game are pretty decent. But I'm hoping some big issues will be solved once I get all my powers and I get to the “second half” of the game.

Game's big draw is the nemesis system- and that isn't because you'll actually give a crap if an Orc remembers you, or features a scar from the last time you fight him- the surprise of that wears off fast.

The good thing about the nemesis system is the random generation- Orcs can be immune to stealth, melee, ranged attacks, stun, leaping over them, etc. They can also have weaknesses that range from fears of fire/beasts to things that kill them instantly.

It's a good system because it forces you to strategize how to take an Orc Captain down. You don't always need to, put you're always at risk if you see a Captain you have no intel on, and you try to engage, because he may be extremely weak or immune to freaking everything.

However, there are some issues with Captain's being immune to almost everything in the freaking universe, except for things that require abilities you haven't unlocked yet. I had one “Lorm the Runner” who got to be a level 20 legendary Captain, and he was immune to everything but ranged attacks at a time when I didn't have the ability replenish my arrows mid-fight, essentially making him nigh-impossible to take down. You won't die to Captains too often early on- so they won't get to this guys level so easily, but sometimes you'll just randomly run into an unknown Captain at a bad time, and he'll kill you because you do something that you aren't aware of him being able to counter.

To compensate, any time you target an Orc Captain to kill, you get an objective on the minimap revolving around whatever the Orc is doing. He may be having a duel with another Orc Captain, and you can use that to kill him when he's weak, he may be having a feast and you can poison his grog then, or he may be fighting Carigores for fun, and you can arrow-pin him to the ground and let the beast maul him etc. The problem is sometimes these “power struggles” as they are called do not give you an objective that allows you to exploit their weakness, and essentially it gives you no new way to strategize in those instances.

Warchiefs are tough as hell, and you generally need to strategize to beat them. It can be fun to manipulate the nemesis system to weaken them or gain intel on a weakness to gain the upper hand, but there are also some issues with this every now and then. Whenever you want to kill a Warchief, you have to “Draw him out” by completing some objective. Sometimes, however, the way you “draw them out” into the world (you can't fight them otherwise) is in direct contradiction to how you kill them based on their strengths/weaknesses in the nemesis system.

Because the Warchiefs and the missions on them are randomly generated, you can have this “Catch-22” situation I had.

I was up against a Warchief with basically no way to kill him other than stealth. However, the mission in which I had to “draw him out” REQUIRED that I go in and purposely set off the alarm in an Orc Fortress so I get swarmed. What the actual fuck??