What's new

Who's getting Shadow of Mordor?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I wouldnt say the the LOTR setting is forced, it seems like they almost chose this games setting because it would work with the nemesis system well, thats how much the system is a part of the game. Since orcs are animalistic and brutish in nature they are also constantly fighting each other to the top of the food chain all while you are trying to take them out, which makes the world seem the most alive. There is also plenty of lore in general with artifacts to find as well as a journal if you will that updates info on the characters, creatures, plant life... Etc. kind of the way Metroid Prime did this where info on new locations or creatures is unlocked as you discover them. And speaking of creatures what Ive come across so far were the warg-like things, orcs, and these big troll things. The only humans Ive come across were orc slaves that you can set free and the more you free the more notorious you get and eventually slaves will help you fight their captures. However this isnt like a skyrim type world with markets and npcs or something where youll travel to Minis Tirith or anything, you are in Mordor the whole time Im pretty sure. I know that the second half of the game takes place in a different world map that is suppose to be the greener half so there may be new wild life there but thats a long ways away for me. It also looks like you might unlock more core game pieces by doing story missions which I have only done 2 of. The majority of my time with this game has been spent enjoying the nemesis system in motion!
You can do quests and wander freely wherever you want? Must you go to quest markers or can you just go around killing orc leaders randomly wherever you find them?

RiverHB

Noob
You can do quests and wander freely wherever you want? Must you go to quest markers or can you just go around killing orc leaders randomly wherever you find them?
It's open world, so you can free roam and just cut heads off if that's what you desire. Enemies eventually respawn. However, as with most open world games advancing the story opens more of the map, skills, etc.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm pretty on the fence about this game at the moment. It takes mechanics from really great franchises (Assassins Creed, the Arkham series) and adds rpg elements. Enough to catch my attention but I'm not 100% convinced and I don't wanna just buy into the hype like I didn't with Destiny.

Who's planning to pick it up? If you've played it already what are your thoughts on the game so far?
The game is great.

Combat is fluid and akin to the Batman series.

RPG-esque level trees.

Runes for "gear"

Very Assasin's Creed feeling

My only complaints thus far are the sluggish camera ( you get used to it) and the less than responsive ledge interactions. Jumping off of ledges is sometimes harder then fighting enemies lol.

The enemy hierarchy is awsome. I love the way it, and the War Chief/Captian weakness and strength set up, is designed.

All in all I would say a 9/10

Fractured_Shadow

as a huge LoTR fan, I gave up on their games long ago. so many disappointing installments to the series. im gonna sit back and see how people feel after they've beaten it. at the very least, most games are "definitely worth the buy" after only a couple hours of gameplay. fingers crossed here, plus dragon age is right around the corner, so no biggie.
Im at about 30% atm (8-10 hours). It is a solid 9/10 so far and it keeps getting better.

However, knowing you and your game preference, sit this one out lol. It is Batman: Assasin Brotherhood LoTR edition with a Dynasty Warriors open world flair to it.

That being said, it is a great game and the nemesis system is top tier.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
You can go through the orc chain of command and mark a certain orc (like this dirty fucker KaKa of the Pit thats killed me three times already) and it will give you their general area on the map so you can hunt who you like next. Just keep in mind if you die whoever kills you will level up, get stronger, and work their way up, so if you want to make a serious dent in Saurons army you cant really die for a bit or more orcs will replace the ones youve already killed. But yes it is open world in that sense of being able to choose what to do next, except now killing of orc captains will affect the other missioms.

coolwhip

Noob
I would assume you can do whatever you want since it's an open world game.

EDIT: Never mind, someone said this already.

Fractured_Shadow

You can go through the orc chain of command and mark a certain orc (like this dirty fucker KaKa of the Pit thats killed me three times already) and it will give you their general area on the map so you can hunt who you like next. Just keep in mind if you die whoever kills you will level up, get stronger, and work their way up, so if you want to make a serious dent in Saurons army you cant really die for a bit or more orcs will replace the ones youve already killed. But yes it is open world in that sense of being able to choose what to do next, except now killing of orc captains will affect the other missioms.
I like branding the Captians and then making them fight the War Chief they are supposed to guard. It is also fun to make War Chiefs fight each other.

DANCE MINIONS DANCE

coolwhip

Noob
I love LOTR, I love the Batman: Arkham series, and I love Assassin's Creed so I know I'll enjoy this game and I'm definitely getting it. I just wish it went beyond Mordor as far as setting because a big scale open world game in the LOTR world (Middle Earth) would be awesome and free roaming would be insanely fun. That said, the game is called Shadow of "Mordor" so it's not like it was misleading or anything.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I like branding the Captians and then making them fight the War Chief they are supposed to guard. It is also fun to make War Chiefs fight each other.

DANCE MINIONS DANCE
I havent gotten the ability to brand yet just interrogate. How is the main story shaping up Ive gotten too distracted by the murdering of orcs to do too much of it yesterday.

Fractured_Shadow

I havent gotten the ability to brand yet just interrogate. How is the main story shaping up Ive gotten too distracted by the murdering of orcs to do too much of it yesterday.
It is looking pretty good so far. I like the direction it is heading. Moreover I like the ablility to read further in depth into the lore and world in the menu. That being said Im not far into the story either. Ive just killed A LOT of things and done side quests to unlock abilites.

I have a nasty habit of not moving on until ALL side content is complete so needless to say I'm a bit..... overwhelmed.... by Mordor atm lol.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It is looking pretty good so far. I like the direction it is heading. Moreover I like the ablility to read further in depth into the lore and world in the menu. That being said Im not far into the story either. Ive just killed A LOT of things and done side quests to unlock abilites.
Are you finding it very difficult to clear out the chain of command? I will die once and it feels like everyone Ive slaughtered gets replaced more or less.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Does this in any way influence what happens to Ratbag assuming I just randomly kill captains without advancing the story? His dialogue and the background music gave me a Jak & Daxter comic vibe, I love that green dude from what little of the story mode I watched.

Also, is there really something to do after you finish the game? Is killing orcs any fun or just typical half-asleep press parry button and mash attack and you're impossible to kill other by some bullshit 20f noticifation you can't possibly react to?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Does this in any way influence what happens to Ratbag assuming I just randomly kill captains without advancing the story? His dialogue and the background music gave me a Jak & Daxter comic vibe, I love that green dude from what little of the story mode I watched.

Also, is there really something to do after you finish the game? Is killing orcs any fun or just typical half-asleep press parry button and mash attack and you're impossible to kill other by some bullshit 20f noticifation you can't possibly react to?
Well Ive done only one mission with ratbag and only got around to killing 4-5 other uruks (most of which were replaced after a few deaths). This game does have a lot more attacks that cant be countered though than the Arkham series and is definitely harder to crowd control in large groups of enemies. Also you have to time your attacks one button press per strike or your attacks are significantly weaker so mashing wont save you. As for post campaign content, I dont know Im not there yet but I know this aint Destiny where you play through all the content in a day and are stuck playing the same 4 strikes afterwards.

coolwhip

Noob

In my experience with most good open world game with a ton of side quests, there are always lots of things to do after you complete the main story, unless of course you decide to do them all before finishing the game. However, if you just play "regularly," without thinking too much about what to do next, and just alternate between main quests and side activities, you usually are left with a lot more to do. I don't know if Shadow of Mordor is any different but the reviews have been generally very positive and such an issue, had it existed, would have usually been pointed out.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.

I honestly feel that the combat system, while fun, is even more forgiving than the Arkham games. Talion will literally just track to the closest enemy while you mash away at the attack button, but the execution kills and special attacks feel satisfying.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
In my experience with most good open world game with a ton of side quests, there are always lots of things to do after you complete the main story, unless of course you decide to do them all before finishing the game. However, if you just play "regularly," without thinking too much about what to do next, and just alternate between main quests and side activities, you usually are left with a lot more to do. I don't know if Shadow of Mordor is any different but the reviews have been generally very positive and such an issue, had it existed, would have usually been pointed out.
I have to compare this game to Borderlands the pre sequel in terms of content because after I buy either I'll only be able to buy the other on december.

Stuck between an awesome franchise with a disappointing second game and a new one that borrows meh combat from the Batman series and IDK if it has endgame content

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I honestly feel that the combat system, while fun, is even more forgiving than the Arkham games. Talion will literally just track to the closest enemy while you mash away at the attack button, but the execution kills and special attacks feel satisfying.
Lol its not as bad as Batman dude he would flying triple somersault kick you from across the map if you were in focus mode. What is more forgiving though is the counters, you can cancelany animation you are in into a counter, but like I said this game has more non-counterable attacks than Batman so I think its fine. Its a very familiar system and same button layout as Batman (attack, counter, stun, dodge on main 4 buttons) butthe way it plays in the end is a little different with the more varied enemies and decapitation finishes.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
I have to compare this game to Borderlands the pre sequel in terms of content because after I buy either I'll only be able to buy the other on december.

Stuck between an awesome franchise with a disappointing second game and a new one that borrows meh combat from the Batman series and IDK if it has endgame content
TIL Arkham Series has meh combat.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Got the game yesterday. Played last night. It's fucking awesome. The Nemesis system is really cool and I've never seen anything like it in a game before. Some jabroni Orc killed me last night and he got promoted to one of Sauron's captains because of it.

You're welcome, Pugrish.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Lol its not as bad as Batman dude he would flying triple somersault kick you from across the map if you were in focus mode. What is more forgiving though is the counters, you can cancelany animation you are in into a counter, but like I said this game has more non-counterable attacks than Batman so I think its fine. Its a very familiar system and same button layout as Batman (attack, counter, stun, dodge on main 4 buttons) butthe way it plays in the end is a little different with the more varied enemies and decapitation finishes.
I mean, it's just my opinion. In Arkham I personally felt like I had to direct Batman a bit more than I do Talion.