What's new

Who's getting Shadow of Mordor?

mfkaoz

Banned
I'm pretty on the fence about this game at the moment. It takes mechanics from really great franchises (Assassins Creed, the Arkham series) and adds rpg elements. Enough to catch my attention but I'm not 100% convinced and I don't wanna just buy into the hype like I didn't with Destiny.

Who's planning to pick it up? If you've played it already what are your thoughts on the game so far?

I am planning to get it, I will pre order it today via PSN. I have seen the reviews and some gameplay clips and it does look pretty interesting. I also absolutely love everything Lord of the ring related.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
So this game is only single player? I watched some videos on Youtube and it does look pretty amazing. But I won't pay 50 euros for a single player game lol.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I picked it up this morning after class. Went home, was going to play it but passed out until I had work. Now I'm waiting for my ps4 to update before I play it. lol

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
From what I've seen it looks like it'll actually be really good which is a surprise to me since I expected crap. Still gonna wait awhile before I get it though too many things coming out this month and next month.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I am about 3 hours in and am having a blast on side content alone, I've only done the intro mission and one other story mission. The Nemesis system kind of dictates the entire flow of the game and its awesome and unique. Combat it in is basically like the Arkham series but everything feels heavier like Dark souls. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer.

trufenix

bye felicia
I am about 3 hours in and am having a blast on side content alone, I've only done the intro mission and one other story mission. The Nemesis system kind of dictates the entire flow of the game and its awesome and unique. Combat it in is basically like the Arkham series but everything feels heavier like Dark souls. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer.
can you say more about the nemesis system? Also, do you think there's actual customization or is it just a big web you'll eventually have everything of.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I'll have it on thursday, cannot freaking wait! I'm a lord of the rings nerd and love everything related to it. Talion looks like a cool character, plus I like the idea of (kinda) playing two characters at once. Probably the best part for me though is that they pretty much took the combat from the Arkham games, which is my favourite combat in any adventure game ever.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'll get this eventually, but first I have to get Smash which I'm getting friday!

So this game is only single player? I watched some videos on Youtube and it does look pretty amazing. But I won't pay 50 euros for a single player game lol.
I kind of feel the same way, I think I'll get it cause I love LOTR mythos. However, these games now days like even Destiny, I know it has online modes but I hate it when the game is great single player but no multiplayer options offline or online.

Played it today. Very VERY fun. World is smaller than i thought but can't expect too much for the first game that might branch out into sequels later on. Graphics are great, great gameplay, intriguing story already............8.5/10 would recommend.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
can you say more about the nemesis system? Also, do you think there's actual customization or is it just a big web you'll eventually have everything of.
Its a big web of abilities like the Arkham games, but you can customize the bonuses granted to each of your weapons separately. But never mind that because it works with this. Basically the whole game revolves around you killing the orc chiefs and captains within the orc hierarchy of command and how they compare to you. If you kill one of these high ranking orcs, they drop a rune which can be used to customize your weapons or unlock a new character ability. However, the coolest and most unique aspect of this game is the fact that like in Dark Souls, dying is part of this game and you are expected to do it. You know all the videos of the devs playing at the expos and they take like 10-15 hits to go down? FUCK that. They said they played on the easiest difficulties for those to show off as much as possible. Ive been getting dropped on the 3rd hit by regular orcs and been dropped in 2 hits by the big pig dogs and enemies with like spears. So like I was saying, dying matters in this because which over orc kills you, high or low in the pecking order, gets promoted, stronger, and will remember you when you eventually have to come back to kill him. Basically what Ive been doing so far is trying to wipe out some orc captains, but every time I die someone gets promoted and takes the place of the last captain I killed. The nemesis system paired with random generated enemies deals for a lot of busy time (and not the kind that Destiny has). Oh, and I haven't seen a single repeated character model amongst the orcs yet, which only adds to how effective the Nemesis system really is.

mfkaoz

Banned
The only reason I've held off from buying this game is because I honestly couldn't give two shits about LOTR but it looks fantastic. Gonna trade in Destiny this weekend and get this.

TKB

Noob
I'm getting it for sure Kaoz. I just wish it had multiplayer. It looks AWESOME and I do like LOTR as well so I'm definitely excited to play it.

RiverHB

Noob
I got it today and am about 3 hours into it. If you liked the Batman Arkham series and AC, you'll probably like it. The combat isn't quite as polished as Batman, but fun. Expect lots of impaling and decapitation (like MK).

The nemesis system is unlike anything I've played. The enemies remember your encounter and get promoted if they kill you. They like to pop off and you can seek revenge on them. There's a lot of depth yet to be uncovered but so far it's a breath of fresh air.

If your PS4 was covered in an inch of dust like mine, it's worth a try.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I'm enjoying it so far. The battle system feels completely natural to me (thanks to hours upon hours of the Batman games) and the game itself makes everything easy to understand, which is a good thing, because there's a lot of game here. The only thing currently throwing me off a bit is how ungodly slow Talion walks, and when he's not walking, he's hurtling across the area at a full sprint. But honestly, that's nitpicking.

And also, while the game is released for PS4/XB1 it's clearly wearing the fact that it's been ported to these systems on its sleeve. However, don't get me wrong, it definitely looks very good.

coolwhip

Noob
Does it feel like the Lord of the Rings setting is forced? In other words, does it feel like an excuse to use the LOTR name and setting for familiarity and $$$, or does it feel like it belongs in the game? My main concern, as a huge LOTR fan, is that this is an Assassin's Creed/other game hybrid that is just randomly taking place in Mordor (and don't get me wrong I'm a big AC fan as well). I want it to feel like you're in the LOTR world and everything feels authentic and seamless.

Also, from what I've seen, Orcs seem some of the few creatures from the LOTR mythology to be in the game? Without spoiling too much, do we found creatures like Nazguls, Olyphants, Wolves, etc...?

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
as a huge LoTR fan, I gave up on their games long ago. so many disappointing installments to the series. im gonna sit back and see how people feel after they've beaten it. at the very least, most games are "definitely worth the buy" after only a couple hours of gameplay. fingers crossed here, plus dragon age is right around the corner, so no biggie.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Does it feel like the Lord of the Rings setting is forced? In other words, does it feel like an excuse to use the LOTR name and setting for familiarity and $$$, or does it feel like it belongs in the game? My main concern, as a huge LOTR fan, is that this is an Assassin's Creed/other game hybrid that is just randomly taking place in Mordor (and don't get me wrong I'm a big AC fan as well). I want it to feel like you're in the LOTR world and everything feels authentic and seamless.

Also, from what I've seen, Orcs seem some of the few creatures from the LOTR mythology to be in the game? Without spoiling too much, do we found creatures like Nazguls, Olyphants, Wolves, etc...?
I wouldnt say the the LOTR setting is forced, it seems like they almost chose this games setting because it would work with the nemesis system well, thats how much the system is a part of the game. Since orcs are animalistic and brutish in nature they are also constantly fighting each other to the top of the food chain all while you are trying to take them out, which makes the world seem the most alive. There is also plenty of lore in general with artifacts to find as well as a journal if you will that updates info on the characters, creatures, plant life... Etc. kind of the way Metroid Prime did this where info on new locations or creatures is unlocked as you discover them. And speaking of creatures what Ive come across so far were the warg-like things, orcs, and these big troll things. The only humans Ive come across were orc slaves that you can set free and the more you free the more notorious you get and eventually slaves will help you fight their captures. However this isnt like a skyrim type world with markets and npcs or something where youll travel to Minis Tirith or anything, you are in Mordor the whole time Im pretty sure. I know that the second half of the game takes place in a different world map that is suppose to be the greener half so there may be new wild life there but thats a long ways away for me. It also looks like you might unlock more core game pieces by doing story missions which I have only done 2 of. The majority of my time with this game has been spent enjoying the nemesis system in motion!