What's new

Who is going to be the last five returned characters on MKX

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Let's do the math.
(This is a long read, by the way, you may need a snack.)

Already Back In:
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden.

Definitely Still Alive:
Kintaro, Goro, Shinnok, Quan Chi, Baraka, Cyrax, Ermac, Johnny Cage, Kano, Kenshi, Mileena, Reptile, Rain, Sektor, Sheeva, Skarlet, Sonya Blade.

Definitely Dead At This Particular Moment:
Jax, Jade, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Sindel, Smoke, Stryker.

Up For Debate:
Noob Saibot.

Now, any and all hypotheses that could be rendered at this point, however convoluted or mind-blowing they may be, are made completely and utterly circumstantial until we get more info about the impending new story/how it's going to coexist with the mythos of old, due to one simple fact: Sub-Zero is already in rotation. Which means that potentially anyone, alive or dead, could have the door opened to slip back in for their piece of the pie. But it would still be easy enough to build the new story while still keeping the old one intact.

In my opinion...this is what I would see as my ideal outcome, not counting any eventual DLC, and assuming that the aforementioned math is right and there will only be 8 of the original MK9 lineup returning (which if we're looking at 14 new characters and a total starting roster of 30 leaves 8 spaces for anyone from the MK4-MKA timeline to be woven in) :
-Shinnok gets in. That's a given. That's one for the New 8, makes it 3-1.
-I expect this mass of new story direction to give a lot of left-out characters room to contribute to the tale in some important manner or another.
-Pick one of the next-gen characters for every realm of the Six, since each one had what I guess you'd call a top character out of the newer cast members, like someone who was most important to that particular place. Fujin, Ashrah, Havik, Bo Rai Cho, Hotaru, Tanya. That's seven altogether. And for number 8, you add in the one guy destined to travel them all: Shujinko. There's your new-gen 8, all of whom played the most significant roles out of everyone during that particular run of games.
-If we're still planning to cement on top of said run of games, there are only two people on the entire list of the dead or missing that play any irreplaceably significant role in the story that couldn't be filtered into backstory or cutscene ammunition: Liu Kang and Sindel.
-Liu's demise is what set the entire Deadly Alliance angle into motion; almost everything that happened throughout was an effect stemming from him being double teamed and dispatched. They brought the motherfucker back from the dead just to give him a shot at zombie revenge. The way he was disposed of in MK9, literally having to sit there and watch your most revered and trusted protector doom all of mankind and bring about the death of every person you cared for, and then have to die (and end up imprisoned by Quan Chi, because remember, the deal he made with Khan says EVERYONE who dies in the conflict is his to enslave, so he's already Quan's to start) with all of that on your conscience and not get to live to see Raiden turn out to be right...I'm making the easy call and saying Kang gets back in as your new cutthroat villain, and that Quan Chi doesn't get in because his creation kills his creator, steals his power, and teams up with Shinnok to bring about Deadly Alliance Ver. 2.
-Sindel gets back in simply because Edenia's going to need a leader, I don't see any of the other ladies being revived over her, and her "oh god what have I done" face turn would make for great cinematics and better story. That's five out of eight.
-The Baraka VS Mileena storyline I predict is going to be turned into story fodder so as to leave them both out since they're too busy trying to destroy each other.
-Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade having a kid that encompasses both of their styles leaves having either pointless.
-Kano I think is gonna get the wrong end of karma and get turned into a Dragon by Daegon like he was supposed to in MKA.
-I cannot for the life of me envision a way Sheeva gets in.

(That leaves 4 originals and 3 DLC: Kenshi, Reptile, Rain, Sektor, Skarlet, Cyrax, and Ermac.)

-Ermac gets in. He's the only character out of the pile with a really important part to play in getting control of his own being, which will likely lead to Kenshi being relegated to his story mode sidekick, since Shang Tsung staying dead undoes his only important task to accomplish throughout the 3D storyline.
-Reptile gets in because he's fucking Reptile, and I think if they turned him into Onaga again, it'd make for a really interesting Oni boss.
-I'm completely torn on who gets the last spot. Any on the 4 of them could make for a great addition, especially with the implementation of the 3 styles. Sektor could invade with the Tekunin horde, Rain could overthrow Tanya and Sindel or whoever's in charge and lead a revolt, Cyrax could go all good guy zen and restore order to the Lin Kuei...but I think all three of them (especially Cyrax given how much chaos he caused in MK9's metagame) are going to be left aside in favor or giving Skarlet room to be expanded on and explored.

So...if the new character total is 14, that leaves this as my Top 16:

Returning From MK9: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Reptile, Ermac, Liu Kang, Sindel, Skarlet.
Returning from MK4-MKA: Shinnok, Fujin, Ashrah, Havik, Bo Rai Cho, Hotaru, Tanya, Shujinko.

/Theory.
I wanted to read it
but its yellow

its like reading the sun

It's cool Marios, it's all speculation at this point anyways, plus I know your ass doesn't want to believe it because jade isn't mentioned ;)
Everybody has the right whatever he wants of course. I'm just fed up when the speculation is based in a stupid "leak"... Actually a user created a thread about it here, but i can't find it. original source:http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=151647

This "leak" is supposed to come of a friend of a friend of a random guy who took a tour inside the NRS offices, and collected/seen/ heard info like:

1) Liu Kang DOES have a character design for MKX (Really? one of the most iconic characters is about to return? )
2) Kotal Kahn has no relation to Shao Kahn. ( and I thought last/ family names exist in outworld)
3) MKX demo will be coming out for fans like they did with MK9. ( good catch.yeah.)
4) Tanya is believed to be in the game. ( a post-mk3 fan favorite who was seen in MK9 as a cameo. good catch. again.)
An X-Ray that was tested resembled her MK4 Fatality of her twisting the neck with her thighs. ( A specific move recycled. weird)
5) Planned to have 14 brand new characters, 8 returning from MK9 & then roughly 8 from MK4 on. Planning on a roster of 30. ( The MK franchise suffered from choices like this in the past)
6) The storyline does go 25 years forward but a large, nice portion is devoted to the MK4 storyline -right after MK9 (Boon's words, combined with MK9's ending. oh you..)
7) Kotal Kahn has something to do with Shinnok. This person didn't fully understand. ( me neither)
8) No Sheeva. ( wtf? her fans are like….5 . we need to include her)
9) Gameplay is like MK9 but a little tighter & easier to use. D'Vorah was more difficult to play than the others. (as it was shown in E3 and stated by lots of people who tried it)
10) Scorpion is used as the "tester" for all character moves. (what's that supposed to mean?)
11) There's a reptile-like man creature. They weren't sure if it was Reptile or Chameleon or a new character. Was on computer screen getting worked on. ( another iconic character or his representative is makin'the cut. )

Because a significant video game company would let a let a friend of a friend of a friend hang around in the studio and then expose their secrets. And even if that happens, this random guy won't sign a contract or something. All these a year before the release. yeah.

Last edited:
@EarlyReflections what's your take on it anyways? I'm interested
I strongly believe it's a combo of Important/ Iconic and unique in terms of gameplay.
Liu Kang
Kitana
Quan chi
Cyrax
Baraka
3 out of Ermac /Smoke / Reptile / Noob
maybe Shinnok, Kenshi, Shang,

Fujin, Tanya, or Bo'Rai'Cho from the Shitty MK era ( if they include any)

And 12 new characters. Original or descendants of shitty ones

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
My feeling/why I think it's going to play out this way is thusly: If MK9 proved anything, it's that Mortal Kombat in and of itself has, probably by far, more selling power than any other fighting game on the market. Which, FGC devoted players' opinions aside, means they can still afford to take those kinds of risks when it comes to their cast and their taste for experimentation. Me personally, after a little but more thought, less yellow, and some contemplation, I'm gonna wager that the leak ends up being close to accurate, but that the number of new characters is widdled down from 14 to 10, so as to make room for a few more fan favorites that would help pick up the storyline and give a handful of devotees even more incentive to dive in...

Reiko, Noob Saibot, Rain and Sareena get in. here's why...

-Sareena being the atomically broken mess that she was in Armageddon I imagine got a lot of attention from the diehard MK base, but has never truly gotten a fair shake as an individual or an entity that has any manner of pivotal pull in the story or metagame. If she were included, it would be the second (or third, I can't for the life of me be sure) time ever - and the first time in an environment designed with tournament legitimacy in mind - she were cast as a playable character, and Elder God knows gamers love them a crazed gothic woman in black at their disposal.
-I'm almost certain that, if the presumable addition of Tanya means Edenia is going to be getting storyline spotlight - and if NRS learned anything about his popularity as a character from leaving him out of rotation last time - Rain has every right to get the chance to flex with a significant role in the outplaying of MKX. Every other ninja up until this point has had a chance to lead with major focal direction; it's time to paint the world purple.
-Reiko falls almost into the same category as Sareena, except his inclusion in Mortal Kombat 4...in that while he hasn't had much of a chance to shine as a playable character in years past, his character and its capabilities in the story that's about to unfold become Kenshi in reverse: Shao Kahn staying dead gives Reiko the chance to take hold of power and propel himself to a much higher plane of our attention.
-The angle of Noob Saibot's return - being sucked into the Soulnado, catapulted into Chaosrealm, etc. - seems waaaay too predictable, sensible, and ripe for future angles not to do. And if there's a new (or old) Sub-Zero in play, and no Cyber Sub or Smoke to play off of, his new storyline direction has already been dropped in his lap in the form of the returning cyromancer.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Smoke got kill by Sindel
true, but shao khan was killed by lui kang, sub zero was killed, jax was (basically) killed, sindel was dead at the start of the game....... dead characters have a knack for finding their way back into the game, smoke should be no exception. I mean shit, the dude is made of smoke and vapor bitches, how are you gonna snap his neck???

Bugman

Noob
true, but shao khan was killed by lui kang, sub zero was killed, jax was (basically) killed, sindel was dead at the start of the game....... dead characters have a knack for finding their way back into the game, smoke should be no exception. I mean shit, the dude is made of smoke and vapor bitches, how are you gonna snap his neck???
lol true she did snap his neck but I believe that the only dead characters that going to returned is Liu Kang.

Bugman

Noob
I wouldn't count any MK9 DLC .... Skarlet, Rain, Kenshi ...... as "returning" MK9 characters. They weren't in the storyline.... therefore we can pretty much assume that they won't be considered "returning"
I think Kenshi is going to make it to MKX at least he have a better chance then Skarlet and Rain.

I wouldn't count any MK9 DLC .... Skarlet, Rain, Kenshi ...... as "returning" MK9 characters. They weren't in the storyline.... therefore we can pretty much assume that they won't be considered "returning"
I don't see why it matters if they were in the story mode or not. They were in the previous game so I count them as returning. Guess we'll find out next year...

Lo0py

Noob
MK hasn't been for a while though, I'm sure there will be plenty of boobs.
They actually made Cassie's boobs smaller haha, damn that musta been hard consider doing :D
While this may possibly be true, many people feel like the return number is too small because they are looking at it incorrectly.

Characters like Quan Chi and Kenshi won't count the same way Raiden and Scorpion do. They will be part of the "returning MK4 and after category".

-It will be more like Raiden, Sub, Scorp, 5 more characters from the old era.

-Quan Chi, Kenshi, 6 more characters from the whack era.

-14 new characters. Some brand new and fresh like D'vorah, some legacy or successors like Cassie Cage.
Good point but i still want way more MK1 - 3 kharacters like cmon now Netherrealm!

eddsol

Noob
returning From MK9:

for sure:
-Subzero
-scorpion
-Raiden
-Ermac
-Rain
-Quan Chi
-Baraka

MAYBE:
Mileena
Noob
reptile
sektor
cyrax

Not returning for sure in my opinion:
Jax
Smoke
Sonya
johny cage (they have been replaced with their daughter) she has a mix of their moves
Night wolf
sindel
jade
kitana
Skarlet
Sheeva
Shao Kanh
Kitana
Kaval
striker
shang tsu
liu kang
kung lao

Returning from mk4-mkD:
Shinnok(kind of obvious because of the ending in mk9)
Tanya(most requested)
Onaga

Popular but even though i like them, I don't seE them returning:
Fujin -
Reiko - (Because only 1 mk4 character is returning according to Boon )
Kai -

Frost
Ashar
Havik

The choices are made based on the relationship that each characters have with each other but mostly with the characters that are confirmed or have a big chance of returning
for example:
- Tanya who helped Shinnok by opening a portal
- Sareena the other 2 girls who work for Quan chi
-Onaga and shinnok who met in the underworld and exchange favors
-Subzero's "death" and Noob his brother

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I see what you mean. Though by that outlook, I wouldn't mind MK making a next gen dream match game that isn't real. :DOGE
Indeed, MKA was sort of a dream match too, but i wouldn't mind if after the MKX sequel, the next MK to be a dream match.

Imagine all chars from MK9, MKX and MK11 all together in a fighting game, holy shit.