What's new

Which match-up chart would you rather have?

Which chart would you pick?

• Total voters

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'll take a loopy MU chart over a 5-5 across the board any day of the week.

I don't have a need for a bunch of even MU's. I'll take the advantages given in a 6-4 and 7-3, but I also have enough confidence in my ability to beat people on or slightly above my level in 4-6 and 3-7 MU's.

Against everyone except Bane that is.
Tbh this logic makes zero sense to me. If you're confident enough to win a 3-7 you're not confident enough to win a 5-5? If you think you can just outplay people wouldn't you rather the more even chart. That's why id take hers

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Freddy has no chance against Smoke and Zod loses convincingly to Martian Manhunter, yet both characters are perfectly tournament viable in everybody's opinion.
This isn't about whether or not a character is viable. It is about which type of MU chart is more viable. I'll take an even mu chart over a skewed one any day.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Wonder Woman's no doubt. I would rather rely on my own personal fundamentals then have to deal with 3-7 matchups where luck plays more of a factor then anything.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
As a sin main, i'll take the WW chart any day of the week. As good as it feels to dominate shitters, barely anyone uses them in tournament and hell even online so what good is 7-3ing crap characters when i get crushed by top tiers and other high tier tourney viable characters. I'd trade a 7-3 against a horrible character to go 5-5 against the likes of mmh, bm, dd etc.

Who is "dominating" Sinestro? I'll accept Aquaman. Let's not pretend this character is getting 3-7 left and right. He doesn't have a polarizing matchup chart. He has a top tier matchup chart.
AM, MMH, DD, KF, BM (imo, thats debatable), i think zat is as well, flash. Those are what i consider his bad MUs, and he has to work extremely hard in all of them. As for getting dominated and being left in a state of complete helplessness, that would go to AM and MMH. While i do agree that sin wasnt the best example for what the op is trying to get at, its not like he takes a walk in the park against the entire cast with his loosing MUs and some (imo) hella annoying 5-5s

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Objectively speaking, Sinestro only has 1 3-7 which is aquaman. The other problematic matchups are Batman, Martian, Zatanna,and maybe Doomsday (though matchup cops that don't play the character are telling us otherwise).

With this in mind, 4 of those are common tournament characters and make it rather difficult assuming they know the matchup. And with how simple it is to have these characters as secondaries there is a strong chance for counterpicking.

With that being said, I would rather have Wonder Woman's. It's strictly based off of outplaying the other opponent (so the better play should win).

Pay no mind to the blatant anti-sinestro propaganda.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
The only people that should be saying they rather have 5-5 mu character are those that are top ten at this game

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Tbh this logic makes zero sense to me. If you're confident enough to win a 3-7 you're not confident enough to win a 5-5? If you think you can just outplay people wouldn't you rather the more even chart. That's why id take hers
I see what you're saying but no, not really to me. As long as the MU's aren't retarded (Zod/Lex, Kenshi/Jade) then I rather the 7-3 to 3-7 spectrum over an overwhelming majority of 5-5's.

5-5's are pretty much even MU's for obvious reasons, tools, strats, etc. When you start talking advantageous MU's it becomes apparent the edges your character has. For example, I more than enjoy the benefits of the Raven/Arrow MU, or to a lesser extent, Raven/Zatanna. On the flip side, there are MU's like Raven/Grundy and Raven/DD that are always an uphill battle if you're playing a skilled user.

The difference I feel boils down to comfort. Since I only main 1 character (you understand about that lol) I feel much more confident mastering my bad MU's and making them less of a "problem" as possible, while benefitting from the good MU's. As opposed to the overwhelming majority being even MU's.

From exp, I've played a good Lobo for quite a long time and an excellent Grundy for over a year, so while those MU's are bad, they don't seem nearly as bad to me as they should. I don't play good Bane's too often, but when I've played great Bane's or the best Bane for that matter I've been demolished and I credit it to me not knowing the bad MU the way I should.

Imo it boils down to how comfortable and well you can handle playing your "reasonable" bad MU's, which comes with tons of grinding. If you can handle a few 4-6 and 3-7's, then why not fight those with preparation and enjoy the other matches in your favor? How I see it at least.

The only people that should be saying they rather have 5-5 mu character are those that are top ten at this game
Or people who have some semblance of competitive spirit and faith in themselves, and want to win as a player not necessarily because of their character's advantage or disadvantage. People who actually want the situation where if they put the work in they will be rewarded for outplaying the opponent and not snubbed out by the game. People who will actually accept the challenge rather than cop out and cling to cheap tactics... people who are willing to work hard to win.

People who might actually see some semblance of potential in a character's zoning:DOGE.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
Objectively speaking, Sinestro only has 1 3-7 which is aquaman. The other problematic matchups are Batman, Martian, Zatanna,and maybe Doomsday (though matchup cops that don't play the character are telling us otherwise).

With this in mind, 4 of those are common tournament characters and make it rather difficult assuming they know the matchup. And with how simple it is to have these characters as secondaries there is a strong chance for counterpicking.

With that being said, I would rather have Wonder Woman's. It's strictly based off of outplaying the other opponent (so the better play should win).

Pay no mind to the blatant anti-sinestro propaganda.
So KF isnt 6-4 frost anymore?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This isn't about whether or not a character is viable. It is about which type of MU chart is more viable. I'll take an even mu chart over a skewed one any day.
As usual, you are exaggerating. I am not sure how you have convinced the community that Sinestro is a "bipolar" character. Sinestro being "bipolar" is yesterday's misconception. 16 Bit is right when he says that Sinestro's match up chart is reminiscent of a top tier character.

Knowing you, I think I can speak for every Skype Illuminati member when I say if you used a character like Wonder Woman, you would incessantly complain about how absurdly hard you have to work to win, how you have limited winning match ups, how your character is average at best, etc.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
I don't really understand this question, because you're actually asking what TYPE of character people prefer.

A character with well rounded tools that can handle any situation, but not dominate any of them will naturally have 5-5's across the board.

Likewise, a character with dominance in a certain area will definitely have a skewed matchup chart depending on their opponents. If you have a character who is weak up close, but can reflect / convert fireballs into meter, you have a character who will counter projectile characters, but get wrecked by a close-ranged monster.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Who is "dominating" Sinestro? I'll accept Aquaman. Let's not pretend this character is getting 3-7 left and right. He doesn't have a polarizing matchup chart. He has a top tier matchup chart.
I was just going off of what what woundcowboy had said, since I am not one to comment on sinestro's match-ups

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I mean, in a perfect fighting game every MU would be 5-5. Isn't that what we want?

I would much rather my tournament destiny be determined by my skills and knowledge than it be determined by my bracket luck. I think it would make me more proud when I win and less salty when I lose.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Actually the more I think of it, the more I want Sinestro's matchup chart. Because if I pick Wonder Womans that means I'm upplaying her. And fuck that noise.

DOWN WITH THE PRINCESS

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Knowing you, I think I can speak for every Skype Illuminati member when I say if you used a character like Shang Tsung, you would incessantly complain about how absurdly hard you have to work to win, how you have limited winning match ups, how your character is average at best, etc.
that accuracy tho