What's new

What was the most exciting tournament match you ever played?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
That second set first Dizzy at UFGT 2012...oh my god. I remember that meter drain glitch you got in that last match when you were sitting on match point. You teared about that on the subsequent KTP. I honestly completely forgot how you approached the Johnny Cage match-up with Scorpion at that tournament. Watching it now, you just got within footsie range and threw out a F4/B2. It's awesome lol. You were guessing right soooo much during that tournament. You also had an insane comeback against Kevo Da Man in one match. And not to turn this into a love-fest but good god your anti cross over D1 was insane.

2012 was really the best year for our community. Seeing your Scorpion, with 16 Bit and Tom on commentary brings back the nostalgia :(
That match is also when I decided d1~spear was needed. In the end all those d1~takedowns didn't cause him to change his game. It was one of the last skills I acquired with Scorp and finally felt I had maxed him out...too bad it still wasn't enough lol.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Two come to mind...

Me VS DAVID_GEM at NEC2012 (MK2)

David is a great player and a favorite to win just about any matchup. I knew this going in, but I also knew I had what it took to take him down. He went up on me 2-0 and took the first round in the third match, but I managed to come back and win the set 3-2 in one of the most amazing series I've ever played with anyone. After the win, I put my head down on the table in utter relief and was nearly in tears...

Me VS btbb99 at Winter Brawl 2011 (MK2)

Another MK2 monster who usually wins against anyone he plays. Like David, I knew I had what it took to win... but playing to that level consistently would be a true challenege. To my amazement, I took the first two matches with relative ease. I even beat his top tier Mileena. He then forced a comeback in a decisive game 5, which he won after I lost my patience and got silly with Liu Kang... Still pissed to this day about that loss.

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
The entirety of my EVO set haha. The only one that wasn't recorded was against @Awesomo but I bodied him so whatever ;)

I was a bit turnt so I made a lot of mistakes.

@EGP Wonder_Chef.
I was kinda happy how this is literally the first time I beat him in tournament and overcame the Reptile matchup.

vs. @SonicFox5000
SONIC FOX DIDN'T TAKE MY BAIT OF DUCKING ALL HIS STUFF DAMN YOU FOX 1V1 ME IN TEST YOUR LUCK [jk pls dont] also invisible kombat ftw and dat Sunglasses trick @ 3:01

vs. @daddydab32ho
literally I messed up one combo that could have changed the set. My over confidence in the Kang MU really messed me up ;_; at this point my turntness was going away so yeah ;_;

vs. Pig of the Hut
lol
Aha good times baby good times

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
It wasnt tournament but against @GGA HAN I did three back to back F3 in a row that meter drain glitched him while he was trying to do EX slide with reptile and took his whole bar. I dont think that was recorded but it was my favorite MK9 moment ever.
Yeah I remember that shit...I was done after that game for the night, I think. :16Bit Was it reptile or cyrax, though? I remember getting meter drained a couple of times in a row trying to ex-antiair through a f3 in pressure with Cyrax, also.

A few of my favorites:

The last time 16 bit didn't make top 8 in MK9 (Oct 2012!) unfortunately was one of my hypest matches, personally:

And almost a real master comeback on this one:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The entirety of my EVO set haha. The only one that wasn't recorded was against @Awesomo but I bodied him so whatever ;)

I was a bit turnt so I made a lot of mistakes.

vs. Pig of the Hut
lol
Greatest MK9 set ever free. #nerfCyberSub #tournamentbreakingkillingmachine

coolwhip

Noob
That match is also when I decided d1~spear was needed. In the end all those d1~takedowns didn't cause him to change his game. It was one of the last skills I acquired with Scorp and finally felt I had maxed him out...too bad it still wasn't enough lol.
Too bad you didn't go to any tournaments after that (other than Seasons Beatings, I think, where you looked kinda rusty, but still made top 8). But I did see your Scorp in casuals after that at GGA at some point in late 2012 and early 2013, and you were doing really well, and you were incorporating D1~spear in your game. That was also the first time when I started noticing that you had a more damaging void set-up off of an anti-air spear, instead of just going for the usual Jip, F21 tele vortex... You were still getting bodied by Smoke though :p

Last edited:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Too bad you didn't go to any tournaments after that (other than Seasons Beatings, I think, where you looked kinda rusty, but still made top 8). But I did see your Scorp in casuals after that at GGA at some point in late 2012 and early 2013, and you were doing really well, and you were incorporating D1~spear in your game. That was also the first time when I started noticing that you had a more damaging void set-up off of an anti-air spear, instead of just going for the usual Jip, F21 tele vortex... You were still getting bodied by Smoke though :p
The only other thing I implemented after d1~spear out of pressure was d1~dash~d1~spear to top people from jumping away from pressure of my own. In the end, none of it was good enough.

I'll get blown up for this but I think Smoke is better than Cyrax at the highest level.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
My most memorable loss was against Snafoo at CECC, so many timeouts and matches were so close.
Also at CECC my most memorable win came from beating Rebelo and sending him to losers with my, at the time, pocket Bane. This was my first time ever beating him in tournament. Get ready to see some scrubby gameplay from a year ago :p
Every time I see a match where Harley's B3 is clashed I cringe.

Iamthejewish

General Zod of Israel - *Kneel*
ill give you one where i win and one where I lose.

Vs Honey Bee at ECT @9:49

and Vs Trepound at TFC. @3:17:30

I've never felt as much tension as I have in those two matches
lol dude, you won those 2 matches.
And damn, I hate Hawkgirl.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
At one of the red bank tournaments, I was playing @R.E.O. in the cage kabal matchup. I had little tournament experience and obviously the matchup is not exactly in my favor but I was counting on the fact that I have tons of kabal experience and I could maybe catch him off guard. I probably hit him with at least ten random shadow kicks with a bunch of them right in a row. It ended up in the last round of the first game with him having like a pixel while I had a solid amount of health. I managed to corner him, and everything seemed great. I remember the whole room cheering for me except for @Hitoshura who was screaming "I love you Kabal!". My dad was there, it was crazy. But I clearly didn't have it together because I threw out another shadow kick! Of course he blocked it and the momentum shifted and he annihilated me, taking the round and then the set. It was awesome because it was so well played by him but man was I disappointed.
I actually don't remember this. Haha. I'm sorry.

I never had an exciting tournament match. I had bad tournament nerves and only did well in casuals, so I was always left with an empty feeling at every tournament. What made up for that was the fun I had meeting other players and spending the remainder of the weekend hanging out with them.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
My exiting tournament match ever played has to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............................... none. get at me

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
The only other thing I implemented after d1~spear out of pressure was d1~dash~d1~spear to top people from jumping away from pressure of my own. In the end, none of it was good enough.

I'll get blown up for this but I think Smoke is better than Cyrax at the highest level.
@GGA Wafflez

I don't want to downplay Cyrax and his BS, but he was very exploitable to excellent zoning (bad dash, walk speed, ect)...and you could not even think of zoning Smoke - Unless Wafflez forgot about doing shake that day.

damnn wafflez on blast? My favorite matches are probably from mlg anaheim. Too bad none of them are recorded. I want to see pls vs cdr jr again.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I actually don't remember this. Haha. I'm sorry.

I never had an exciting tournament match. I had bad tournament nerves and only did well in casuals, so I was always left with an empty feeling at every tournament. What made up for that was the fun I had meeting other players and spending the remainder of the weekend hanging out with them.
Lol I'm probably the only person who remembers because I felt like I had been training to play reo (like a one sided rivalry I guess haha). I just remember reo managed to 2ndc me a few times in a row and I swear I heard you. Haha oh well.

coolwhip

Noob
The GGA crew should be alerted that @GGA HAN liked a post which stated that Smoke is better than Cyrax. This is indirect downplaying. You guys ought to have a conversation with him at Tony's.

EDIT: He then made a post with direct downplaying!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I took a game off of a Kenshi player with Baraka at MLG Dallas.

Pretty much the only relevant thing i've ever done lol

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

I agree that you should be blown up for thinking that.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
The GGA crew should be alerted that @GGA HAN liked a post which stated that Smoke is better than Cyrax. This is indirect downplaying. You guys ought to have a conversation with him at Tony's.

EDIT: He then made a post with direct downplaying!
he always makes posts insinuating that

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
@GGA Wafflez

I don't want to downplay Cyrax and his BS, but he was very exploitable to excellent zoning (bad dash, walk speed, ect)...and you could not even think of zoning Smoke - Unless Wafflez forgot about doing shake that day.
Why would you care about not being able to zone Smoke with Cyrax? Cyrax has all that he needs in that MU without having to throw out a bomb or net that isn't hit-confirmed or used in a combo. Cyrax has plenty of ways to get in and his pressure is very effective against Smoke. Plus he has the d4 that Smoke probably needs in order to open up a really good guessing game on hit.

JDM

Noob

This match. I played KaneBlueRiver in UMVC3 at UFGTX, a year after I got completely bodied by him. I overheard a decent amount of smack talk from KBR amongst other people within that year, and was aching to get my win back.

3-0'd him, was too exciting. I have always hated fighting Hulk, let alone the best Hulk in the world. FUCK HULK.

coolwhip

Noob
Why would you care about not being able to zone Smoke with Cyrax? Cyrax has all that he needs in that MU without having to throw out a bomb or net that isn't hit-confirmed or used in a combo. Cyrax has plenty of ways to get in and his pressure is very effective against Smoke. Plus he has the d4 that Smoke probably needs in order to open up a really good guessing game on hit.
He was talking about Smoke in general. Not the Smoke-Cyrax match-up. I'm pretty sure he played that enough times to know how to approach Smoke. And no, Smoke doesn't need a better D4 dude.