What's new

What was the most exciting tournament match you ever played?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I don't think this thread was ever made before so it will be an interesting. The title is pretty self explanatory. What is your most memorable tournament match you have ever played that just made your heart pound in excitement and nervousness, even after the match was over? Whether it was because it was an important match for you to make it into top 8 or something, or it was against one of your rivals, or came down to that last little pixel of health, maybe it was just extremely hype and clutch, did somebody pulled "only a real master."

If there are too many to name you can talk about more than one, I've had SO many heartpounding tournament matches it's hard to list them all but I will talk about a few:

Vs DetroitBalln at Evo2012 -
This was only my third major so I was relatively new to the tournament scene, and I knew of Evolution's prestige and I also new of DetroitBalln's reputation as a great player and it was my first time playing him ever. To get into top 8 of Evo! It was 2-0 but the matches were so close my heart was pounding like crazy, was definitely one of my most memorable tournament matches just because the stories around it.

Vs GGA Max at KiT2014 -
I was in grand finals of an awesome stacked tournament and was on my way to possibly win my first major in Injustice. The matches were so close and hype, the crowd was going crazy. The whole top 8 was pretty hype in general. Alot of our matches came down to the last pixel, and I fucked up some important key moments that led Max to victory and had the set go on for longer A perfect example of a tournament I'll never forget.

Vs Cdjr at WinterBrawl2013 -
MK9 was so hype, I miss it. I think this was like the 2nd time we've played, I went Cage vs his Kung Lao because I wasn't comfortable with the Lao mirror at the time. It was was best two out of three and the first two matches were both pretty close down to the last hit. The third match was EXTREMELY close and came down the last pixel, not to mention it was to make it into top 8. We both had like 1% health and I did an EX flip kick, he blocked and I jumped over his head and Cage kept going. I was thinking NOOOOO! lol but when he went to punish with a dive kick it whiffed, I went to punish with an EX shadow kick it whiffed, then I finally clutched it out with a poke. My heart was pounding for like a whole minute even after the match was done!
(This isn't on youtube so I will try to find the stream link somewhere)

Feel free to share your tournament matches, I wanna hear some exciting stories! :D

Last edited:
ill give you one where i win and one where I lose.

Vs Honey Bee at ECT @9:49

and Vs Trepound at TFC. @3:17:30

I've never felt as much tension as I have in those two matches

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Probably my match against Noobe at CEO. Yeah, I lost to a Zod player (It's like Rashan or something >_>), but I knew that one was out of my hands. I had really no MU experience against good Zod players. I did however think that I might stand a chance against Noobe.

I gave it my all and went 0-2 against him. I'm just glad he didn't gray bar me at all.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Me vs master betty at Texas showdown. It came down to the last game last round and I had like 1% health left. He shoulder charged me in the corner and was going to chip me out because I had no meter to push block so I backed dashed his d1 with aquamans handy little backdash and d1 FTDd him ftw lol. @Eric Z19

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
P.S. If anyone has videos, post em' up! We still have a lot of users who weren't around for MK9 or missed some of the older IGAU matches.

I$AAC

Noob
For injustice it was Me vs 7L at final round last year

For mk9 it was me vs Chris G at CEO 2011. Both the march that I sent him to losers and the rematch in losers finals for our pool to get top 8.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
well I wish I went to a tourney to feel that way. I'll feel that way through you guys haha
I'd definitely plan one if you could it's a life changing experience IMO

I'll do the @DarthArma and give one where I win and lose.

My win would have to be the Canada cup 2012. I haven't wanted to beat anyone in tourney that bad. After jwong took the title from me in a close 2-3 set after a bracket reset the year before, he mentioned his dislike for NRS games. I trained all year to beat him even if he wasn't considered a top player. I started off confident, but he caught me off guard and I got nervous before I ended the set, absolutely ecstatic at avenging my loss and being the only Canadian at the event to win a game.

The loss would have to be at SCR 2013 against xbladez. I had picked up Freddy specifically for the Liu kang MU but he knocked him aside with ease. I picked Baraka as that was the only other character I felt tourney ready with (not playing an 8-2 with quan lol). I won the first game after he dropped a crucial combo and I crossed him up. We went to match point but I lost. I was so nervous and had so much fun and the crowd was going crazy!

Me vs master betty at Texas showdown. It came down to the last game last round and I had like 1% health left. He shoulder charged me in the corner and was going to chip me out because I had no meter to push block so I backed dashed his d1 with aquamans handy little backdash and d1 FTDd him ftw lol. @Eric Z19
Said it before and I'll say it again, massive blowup I didn't record it. Pretty good form on the popoff afterward to boot.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
ill give you one where i win and one where I lose.

Vs Honey Bee at ECT.

and Vs Trepound at TFC. I've never felt as much tension as I have in those two matches
What made you feel tension in our games at ECT?

For me it's unquestionably when I fought @GGA Max at UFGT to get into Top 8 losers. Not only did I feel I had something to prove because my brother mains Bane, it was only my second US major and I was on a hot streak from getting 5th at ECT and winning Toryuken so I really wanted to make top 8 at UFGT. On top of all that, having @GGA 16 Bit yell for Max to "BREAK HIS BACK AND BREAK HIS SPIRIT" after Max was on a comeback after being down 2-0 was a super hype feeling. Man... those games won't ever be forgotten for me even though they're no longer on twitch :(. They were super hype matches to boot.

Last edited:

BRUTALITY

Banned
vs Joe Shyne at Shadowloo Showdown in Melbourne. i was worried to play against Killer Frost because I had no experience but I adapted and ran it back from 0-2 to 3-2. Not such an important match for Joe since he doesnt really play the game. I was just happy to beat both the internationals in my path to top 8.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
My first tournament match vs a Mileena player. I had to breathe deep every finished round to control my heartbeat, it was even heard on the recording lol.
The saltiest match I had was against an Ermac when I kept falling for d4-lift. I hate it since.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'll give an example of MK first and then Injustice

MK:
1) Me vs @DJT/MIT @DJTMIT (Not sure which one it is) at evo 2k11 after we were both eliminated by Detroit ballin Ed Boon was watching behind us and it just made my heart beat go through the roof. (I ended up winning the set but it wasn't tournament so whatev...OMG that was so long ago)

2) Me vs Pig in the same tournament I beat him in top 64 right after we had both won our pools. We were both new to tournaments and had trained together (he was NOT happy) lol

3) Me vs Gr8one at FR where big D made top 8. I had the win and went for an upercut instead of an unbreakable choke. He breakered, managed a jip and chipped me our with ex cutter. I still can't believe I lost this match....watch for yourself if your feeling nostalgic.

Injustice:
Me vs KDZ and Me vs @FOREVER KING

My match vs FK was hyper to me than my match vs KDZ due to the sheer closeness of our match. My match vs KDZ was a little lopsided but my match vs FK was so close that we were both jumping around so franticly. J3 WD j3 WD was all I could do to stop his momentum and to keep him from getting in. It worked cause he was just as flustered I'm sure (maybe he will comment).

FYI, now that pig deleted his youtube these matches are lost forever. Sigh :(

What made you feel tension in our games at ECT?
The fact that people told me that you were a very good player and not to underestimate you. Even with that in mind I was caught off guard with how good you were in the very first round we played. And at 1 to 1 you had a huge life lead on me, getting through that to mentally seal the set took so much out of me.