What's new

What was the most exciting tournament match you ever played?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I wouldn't be able to tell you outside the fact that they have all that armor.
Short of the most godlike read against b23, I'm not sure what Jax's armor really does against Smoke. Armored dash punch will whiff on d4. Smoke can play keep-away when he wants to, and Jax has to be very careful trying to dash in and rush him down thanks to b23. In addition to the other obvious stuff like Jax not being able to use his GP mixups or zoning due to the threat of SB, and the fact that Smoke's d4 makes GP whiff anyway.

That MU seems super 5-5.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Lol I'm probably the only person who remembers because I felt like I had been training to play reo (like a one sided rivalry I guess haha). I just remember reo managed to 2ndc me a few times in a row and I swear I heard you. Haha oh well.
You probably did hear me, I just don't remember that specific incident. I probably did do that knowing myself back then. Haha.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I don't think it's crazy to say Smoke is better than Cyrax when you think about it.

a) Smoke handles runaway and zoning better than Cyrax.
This is obvious. Shake and teleport punch for projectiles and smoke bomb is a huge threat once Smoke starts closing the gap forcing people to block.

b) Smoke's AA is better than Cyrax.
Cyrax's air grab is super consistent, but the damage is very low. I don't even care half the time. His standing 1 and 2 AA are very iffy AA's and often don't lead to resets. Smoke's standing 2, b2 and d1 for crossups are godlike and can always lead to a reset for insane and stupid damage. I'd rather have Smoke's AA than Cyrax's.

c) Smoke's footsies are better than Cyrax's.
People will argue Cyrax's d4 wins this argument but I beg to differ. Cyrax's d4 only has a disgusting guessing game when it hits you standing. When it hits you crouching, he's actually at disadvantage. As long as you keep a low profile in footsie range you takeaway his best footsie tool. Hell I used to crouch and get hit on purpose by @GGA HAN's Cyrax just to bait him and get advantage. This is not something you can do against Smoke. When you get in footsie range with Smoke, you are automatically stuck in his best guessing game. There's no setting up his best guessing game. Just being in his presence put you there.

d) Smoke does better meterless damage than Cyrax.
This is obvious as well.

e) Smoke has better momentum than Cyrax.
Cyrax hits hard, but at least when it's over...it's over. Smoke can do resets to you, then teleport for more guessing even after you've lost 70%. Shit is stupid. I'm getting mad posting about all this stupid shit.

f) Smoke's runaway is better.
Again, obvious. Smoke away all day.

I'll give Cyrax has a couple things Smoke doesn't, like more unbreakable damage, bombs and silly breaker traps. Wake-up attacks I'd say it's even. But I think when you look at all this garbage Smoke has you can't say Cyrax is without a doubt better.
I would only say Cyrax is better overall because he loses less matchups, he loses to Kabal and nobody else. Smoke probably loses to Kabal Kung Lao Sonya and others like Cage are debatable. Cyrax does a little bit more damage and his command grab is so gay, especially when mixed up with d4 and jip and etc.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I would only say Cyrax is better overall because he loses less matchups, he loses to Kabal and nobody else. Smoke probably loses to Kabal Kung Lao Sonya and others like Cage are debatable. Cyrax does a little bit more damage and his command grab is so gay, especially when mixed up with d4 and jip and etc.
I've heard Sonya and Kitana do well against Cyrax. I don't know why Smoke would lose to Cyrax either. Ive also heard Sektor was a problem cause command grab whiffs against him ducking.

I guess we'll never know and it'll always be Cyrax as better. All I know is playing against Smoke I couldn't get relief anywhere on the screen. Whereas against Cyrax I felt like I could fight him at footsie range and jump around without fear of losing 80%.

zaf

professor
Short of the most godlike read against b23, I'm not sure what Jax's armor really does against Smoke. Armored dash punch will whiff on d4. Smoke can play keep-away when he wants to, and Jax has to be very careful trying to dash in and rush him down thanks to b23. In addition to the other obvious stuff like Jax not being able to use his GP mixups or zoning due to the threat of SB, and the fact that Smoke's d4 makes GP whiff anyway.

That MU seems super 5-5.
Armored dash punch whiffs with pretty much anyone's D4. So that really can't be a talking point.
Can't say that I have played this match up at the highest possible level since I do not main either of them. But I can see it being in Jax's favour because he can still bully smoke with all his armor. Not sure if Jax's Normals whiff on smoke, or if his hitbox is big enough for jax to use his usualy toolset.
@CcTrust would you know?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Easy, the very first time i went into a tournament back in 2011 after the first MK9 patch, we used to run Tag tournaments.

my first match, i still remember even today about everything.

Announcer: Edson "Eddy Wang" Domingos vs Renato "NWA" Martins.
Ary: ooh, man, that guy is tough, this will be hard.
Me: It will?
Ary: yeah, he plays Sub-Zero
Me: Well then i have to do my best.

I remember of Picking Kitana and Kung Lao, he played Sektor and Sub-Zero
It was my first time ever on a tournament, against ppl i have never seen or heard before, i came only with my home experience of extensive battles against @DarkSlayerSmith.

I remember the current champion commenting on my match when i won the first set.
Ygor: "This guy Kitana's it a beast, it came straight from hell to kill us all Damn!!"

And in the grand finals, every time i performed a combo everyone was like watching Sako vs Sako match, lots of "Ohh!!"s everywhere, specially in the final round when i landed a combo straight into X-ray, it was like that was the first time the were seeing anything like it, ppl jumping off screaming like a great action movie, cameras everywhere, and the guy who was taking a beating all shut.

it was awesome.

After that, Fighting BM's Cyrax in the grand finals was hype, i cringed and closely lost the tournament, but i won and it was worth it, because i did it all tournament without switching characters for the second time.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
My first ever MK9 tournament match,

Me vs WinterWars

I lost not only because he is a great player but because we played at least 20 casuals before the tourny started. Little did I know at the time, that great players will download that ass, and that winning casual matches before tourny don't mean shit lol.

The rush I got that day from playing a game I love in tournament is something I'll never forget. And I still get that feeling everytime I get to play in tourny.

It's what hooks you and keeps you coming back for more.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Been playing against smoke since day1, and still do to this day. Probably the character that I have played against the most. I've also played with xsmokex and the other top canadian smokes. Smoke obviously has more options then just d4 and b2 after a d4 on hit. But like you mentioned they train you to expect one of these two, so they are open to really do what they want. But when it comes to a d4 on hit and they go for either a d4 or a b2, ive always just blocked low and fuzzy the b2. I am not saying I never get hit but I have found this to be the most successful way to deal with this pressure. I never said it was bad pressure, because it is good. I am just saying it is not as hard to deal with as some people may have you believe.
You've played against smoke more than Mileena? Seems questionable

zaf

professor
You've played against smoke more than Mileena? Seems questionable
My bro played smoke day1. You play smoke, cam plays smoke, everyone online plays smoke. Bamer Glake plays smoke, xsmokex plays smoke. The list goes on >_>

EDIT: csword plays smoke, quantum plays smoke. KT SMIT plays smoke. Everyone and their mother plays smoke.
Edit2: Soup plays smoke

coolwhip

Noob

That MU seems super 5-5.
I have no idea what the match-up number really is, but Jax's armor can blow-up Smoke's counter-poking, and Jax generally abuses Smoke's big hitbox. Moreover, Smoke has to be careful in the footsie game throwing out D4's because Jax's dash punch punishes it on whiff (that's big and makes the neutral game less straightforward for Smoke than it would be in other match-ups). F4 also is a good punisher for Smoke bomb on block.

Now that being said, this could still be 5-5 as I'm only looking at it from Jax's perspective.

Bravo, I applaud you. What does it have to do with anything? All I said is B23 is not that difficult to hit confirm. It's really not more difficult than say, hit-confirming Kung Lao's 21 into spin (it's probably much easier actually). Yeah, I realize you don't want to be left at -8 by just doing b23 so you want to Smoke away, but if that's your biggest worry then you're fine. After 3.5 years, I'm sure you've mastered it.
kung lao's 21 cannot be compared to smokes b23 in terms of hitconfirming. 21 is a lot harder.

I have no idea what the match-up number really is, but Jax's armor can blow-up Smoke's counter-poking, and Jax generally abuses Smoke's big hitbox. Moreover, Smoke has to be careful in the footsie game throwing out D4's because Jax's dash punch punishes it on whiff (that's big and makes the neutral game less straightforward for Smoke than it would be in other match-ups). F4 also is a good punisher for Smoke bomb on block.

Now that being said, this could still be 5-5 as I'm only looking at it from Jax's perspective.
jax does need the meter to break against smoke, so he can't just go ham with armor. F4 is what gives smoke problems I think, especially because it's such a good pressure and counterpoke tool

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
kung lao's 21 cannot be compared to smokes b23 in terms of hitconfirming. 21 is a lot harder.
theres a huge difference for all of u not understanding smokes b23 its not the fact ur hitconfirming b23 into smokecloud or tele only its the fact that you're trying to continue pressure meaning hit confirming B2 <- into b23 because once u throw out b23 ur pressure is now over if its blocked..

187x

Noob
I don't go to tournaments so none. But best tournament match i've seen was REO Vs xsmokex back in mk9. That back and fourth hype was real!

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Armored dash punch whiffs with pretty much anyone's D4. So that really can't be a talking point.
Can't say that I have played this match up at the highest possible level since I do not main either of them. But I can see it being in Jax's favour because he can still bully smoke with all his armor. Not sure if Jax's Normals whiff on smoke, or if his hitbox is big enough for jax to use his usualy toolset.
@CcTrust would you know?
no jax can use everything under the sun on smoke... nothing wiffs other than like neutral crouching him dash punch which wiffs on everyone

coolwhip

Noob
theres a huge difference for all of u not understanding smokes b23 its not the fact ur hitconfirming b23 into smokecloud or tele only its the fact that you're trying to continue pressure meaning hit confirming B2 <- into b23 because once u throw out b23 ur pressure is now over if its blocked..
You can't hit confirm single hits in MK9 unless it's with Kabal due to the way the NDC works.

coolwhip

Noob
no jax can use everything under the sun on smoke... nothing wiffs other than like neutral crouching him dash punch which wiffs on everyone
Jax can't throw his projectile at Smoke and he can't do ground pound or ground pound cancels at all since Smoke bomb would kill him. Hell, he can barely do ground pound cancels on knockdown. So no, hardly "everything under the sun."

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Jax can't throw his projectile at Smoke and he can't do ground pound or ground pound cancels at all since Smoke bomb would kill him. Hell, he can barely do ground pound cancels on knockdown. So no, hardly "everything under the sun."
and i was talking about all his strings / mixups yes he can but thanks

Since DJT is like never on tym lol I will post some I enjoyed watching in our tournament careers:
MK9:
DJT vs PL MLG Anaheim
DJT vs REO evo 2013 finals
DJT vs PL evo 2013
DJT vs detroitballin evo 2013
DJT vs Curbolicious MLG Anaheim
DJT vs Riu MLG anaheim
DJT vs Tyrant (everytime lol)
this list will be too long lol on to IGAU:
DJT vs Chris G evo 2013
DJT vs theo evo 2013
DJT vs King scr 2014