What's new

What is with this need for guest characters?

If Scorpion and Sub Zero were playable in the next Playstation Allstars wouldn't you be curious to play as them?

Its really that easy man. It just brings in a totally new kind of fan. There is nothing wrong with that. The more successful NRS is the better content we get so its a win for everyone.
I would play the hell out of Sub-Zero and Scorpion or the Predator if they were in Soul Calibur.

Yeah and sometimes people who normally brush off MK as not their thing come for Freddy and might learn that MK actually is their thing and stay for the sequels.

RagsTheGoat

Booster Gold is in Injustice 2
I would play the hell out of Sub-Zero and Scorpion or the Predator if they were in Soul Calibur.

Yeah and sometimes people who normally brush off MK as not their thing come for Freddy and might learn that MK actually is their thing and stay for the sequels.
Or they leave because the Sequel doesnt have the characters that they like e.g. UMKIII -> Gold

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
Freddy Kruegar and Kratos fit properly into MK. They were lucky to choose those two characters. The only other one I can see being in MK is "Spawn," it fits; because Michael J. White played him and he plays Jax!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
The only way to get it to stop is if people stop buying them, which will never happen. Scorpion and Freddy were the two highest selling DLC characters. Casual players love shit like that. It's not going away so we might as well just deal with it. We are not the audience they market those characters to.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
It's not about our personal feelings, it's about what's best for business.
Wasn't Darth Vader in Soul Caliber? I didn't understand that.
Every Soul Calibur game with the exception of 3 and Soul Blade has had a guest character, and speculation had it that Dante from DMC was supposed to be in 3 had it not been for time constraints.

Flagg

Noob
If we have to have a guest character I'd like to see a character from another fighter (but not injustice).

Freddy Kruegar and Kratos fit properly into MK. They were lucky to choose those two characters. The only other one I can see being in MK is "Spawn," it fits; because Michael J. White played him and he plays Jax!
I swear that people say this about every fighting game.KI,Injustice,MK10,you name it. Can someone please tell me a game where spawn wouldn't fit in?

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
I swear that people say this about every fighting game.KI,Injustice,MK10,you name it. Can someone please tell me a game where spawn wouldn't fit in?
Spawn is relevant to MK more so than Injustice/Soul Caliber/Dead or Alive because of his linear relationship with the "Netherrealm," a.k.a. "Hell." Plus he has powers just like many of the MK characters not to mention a magical mystique about him. Makes me wanna quote him on some "Holy shit" thing. He's dark and the movie is a parallel in many ways to the MK universe. Can't say the same for other fighting games no matter how 'dark' they appear (KI for example).

Since the question is answered, the real question is "who". The problem with guest characters in MK is that marketing departments get antsy enough having characters just fight each other(there's some quote from a marketing person at nintendo talking about how smash is bad for the image or some such nonsense). MK takes that a step or two further and wants to cut their face off. With this already sounding like it might be one of the most violent MK's ever when it comes to fatalities, you need a guest character who's owned by someone who doesn't mind how much horrible gruesome shit happens to them(or if they do it to others), and this severely limits the options(basically anything with a corporate marketing department is going to do everything to shoot it down). Horror movie villains just make easy sense because they do horrible murdery things and people don't care too much if it happens to them.

Beyond that I would instantly write off every marvel and DC character. Spawn is possible just because of the previous fighting game appearances, and being owned by a smaller company that seems fine targeting audiences with darker material. Thinking of options beyond that though is tricky. I wonder how many ideas they run through or they've got a list somewhere of people who've already given the ok. I imagine it can't be easy given how some companies react to image issues.

RagsTheGoat

Booster Gold is in Injustice 2
The real question is: WHY DO PEOPLE CARE IF THEY'RE THERE OR NOT?

In the end it's still just another character. Whether you play them or not IS UP TO YOU *gasp*
DLC characters show that they are shipping a game without something that could be there already...

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
DLC characters show that they are shipping a game without something that could be there already...
We're talking about guest characters, not DLC.

And DLC shows that they are supporting a game OUTSIDE of its release. Unless they do some shady CAPCOM shit like on-disc Day 1 DLC. But NRS stopped that after MK9.