What's new

Understanding and Playing Footsies in Injustice by MK_TomBrady

CD jr

Noob
All I got from this is Aquaman is the only character that can play footsies and behaves like a traditional fighting game character. If you gonna make a video explaining footsies and spacing Aquaman is the worst example to use cause he is basically the only one that can play like that. I wish at least 60% of the cast had raven walk speed and Aquaman like normals then we will really see people playing footsies.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
All I got from this is Aquaman is the only character that can play footsies and behaves like a traditional fighting game character. If you gonna make a video explaining footsies and spacing Aquaman is the worst example to use cause he is basically the only one that can play like that. I wish at least 60% of the cast had raven walk speed and Aquaman like normals then we will really see people playing footsies.

QFT..

Tom's point is not that every character can play this footsie game, it's that footsie characters like AM are dominating the game.

The only other archetypes who stand a chance are anti-footsie (armor), vortex characters and a few heavy zoners like Zod.

But yeah of course I agree that most or all characters should have good walkspeed and good pokes.

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
AK L0rdoftheFLY said:
there is no "aniti-footie" playstyle...

Footsies exist even in zoning. goodness sometimes I wonder about people

Lets leave it at that, I don't want to start this discussion again.
I think I remember now. Footsies do exist in zoning and That is still factual. Anti footsie characters do exist too. And for the record I agree with everything tom said while maintaining my points about footsies in zoning.

Projectiles still occupy space and can be considered an extension of a character. They can be whiff punished just like normals also.

An anti footsie character plays footsies but by their rules only.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Good video... little late into the game's life though. Probably needed something like this when it was fairly new to encourage players to keep playing.

Gonna try to learn from this, maybe I'll get better. haha

I really like NRS games and their character designs and how they make an effort to make every character unique rather than making them all play like variations on a basic core design (IE, Shotos)....but some of their design choices kind of elude me. I'm currently trying to study as many fighting games as possible because I'm working on a game design document for my own. Something I've heard mentioned about street fighter as a general design principle is that the more space a character controls, the less mobile they should be. This is why character like Sagat generally have much weaker mobility then other characters.

Given Aquaman's super fast and long reaching normals along with his antizoning tools it really feels like he shouldn't be as mobile as he is. EDIT: And TBC, I know Aquaman's mobility is hardly the best in the game....but its still way better than a bunch of other characters I can name.

PTG Slayer

Behold! The GOD of War!
Tom Brady explains the concept of footsies and applies it to Injustice. He explains the differences from Mortal Kombat 9 and what we were used to with cancel-able dashes. Tom also talks about the two major factors of footsies, including explaining space control. This is a concept that Tom feels has been holding many players back by not understanding. Well, here is a full video of Tom explaining making this video a must watch for all NRS competitors.

edited/promoted by STORMS*
Definitely good info here Tom. I think a lot of us get caught up in trying to do "BIG DAMAGE" combos, or flashy clutch sht, we often forget our fundamentals. Refresher for your veterans, and key info for the new comers! I love it.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
this is the main reason i believe flash is a top character in this game, he has, vortex, anti zoning, anti footsies and footsies all in one (characters like martian and aquaman also have these traits). anti footsies in the sense that you are very scared of MB LC and at certain ranges is impossible to react to. flash has some of the best whiff punishing in the game, and his combos do massive damage into corner carry where his vortex begins. not to mention that he has top 3-5 mobility in the game and a great anti air as well. brady said it best in his analysis of my flash "zyphox isn't afraid to just walk back with flash and let the opponent hang himself" (somewhere along those lines). this is also the reason i think flash gives aquaman trouble, trident rush is puishable at every distance, no matter how you put it and i can expose his shit wake ups when i hit him with flying uppercut and pretty much put him in a vortex every time i knock him down. flash dgaf about his trait either. when aquaman has to approach you its harder for him.

flash top 3 bro.....

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
This is actually really well done and will help most mid level injustice players get wayy better. Good stuff Tom. You can get it in writing that I said this if you want too. <3

Really good vid Tom Brady, wish it could have came sooner though. Hopefully we can see more people exploring the neutral game than just looking for setups.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
You do realize footsies involve both space control and mobility right? In fact that is the majority of the footsie game.
spacing is a large part of footsies, space control is a little bit, mobility can play a part in footsies but isnt a big art of it. your mobility is however a big part of your space control. playing footsies is pretty much just spacing, pokes, and close range reads.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
spacing is a large part of footsies, space control is a little bit, mobility can play a part in footsies but isnt a big art of it. your mobility is however a big part of your space control. playing footsies is pretty much just spacing, pokes, and close range reads.
Spacing and space control are the same thing, I think you are getting your vocabulary mixed up.

And saying close range reads is incorrect. The most important part of footsies is the neutral game, where your opponent is around a dash or jump away. Spacing plays a huge role in the neutral game as well as being able to punish any dash or jump in attempt. Mobility is huge in footsies, I will agree with you there.

Edit: Here is the definition of footsies, to further clarify:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games#Footsies

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Spacing and space control are the same thing, I think you are getting your vocabulary mixed up.

And saying close range reads is incorrect. The most important part of footsies is the neutral game, where your opponent is around a dash or jump away. Spacing plays a huge role in the neutral game as well as being able to punish any dash or jump in attempt. Mobility is huge in footsies, I will agree with you there.

Edit: Here is the definition of footsies, to further clarify:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games#Footsies
nah by spacing i mean how you position yourself and place your moves (the back and forth walking/pokes etc), space control is the range that you have that has to be respected , like GL has great mid range space control because of b1 and lift, whether he is using them or not he has control over that spaceand you have to respect his options in that range. spacing is an action space control is not. i guess you thought i said the act of controlling space.
by close range i meant start of the round range not in your face range lol thats too close to really read and react accordingly. actually now that i think about it i should have said mid range no idea why i said close
as for the definition who wrote that? i doubt webster has a fighting game section lol :p

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
nah by spacing i mean how you position yourself and place your moves (the back and forth walking/pokes etc), space control is the range that you have that has to be respected , like GL has great mid range space control because of b1 and lift, whether he is using them or not he has control over that spaceand you have to respect his options in that range. spacing is an action space control is not. i guess you thought i said the act of controlling space.
by close range i meant start of the round range not in your face range lol thats too close to really read and react accordingly. actually now that i think about it i should have said mid range no idea why i said close
as for the definition who wrote that? i doubt webster has a fighting game section lol :p
Wiktionary

I forbid you to post anything related Green Arrow ever again. Or about any other character I play now or in the future.
Why because I said Green Arrow was possibly in the top 10 conversation when the game was new? Well guess what he was. That was before everyone else got buffed and before DLC was even released. May I remind you he had a block infinite back then, more ways to land his 80% reset not to mention most characters were really horrible? You forget that most characters only became viable because of their numerous buffs. Before that they were clearly under Green Arrow tier wise.

You're just mad because Chris G won all those tournaments with a "shitter" LOL.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Why because I said Green Arrow was possibly in the top 10 conversation when the game was new? Well guess what he was. That was before everyone else got buffed and before DLC was even released. May I remind you he had a block infinite back then, more ways to land his 80% reset not to mention most characters were really horrible? You forget that most characters only became viable because of their numerous buffs. Before that they were clearly under Green Arrow tier wise.

You're just mad because Chris G won all those tournaments with a "shitter" LOL.
1) He was not top 10. He never was.
2) He had a 3 string loop in the corner that could be backdashable and full combo punishable. That's a broken infinite for you huh?
3) 80%? Jesus you don't really know ANYTHING about the character huh? You mean 60%. That requires 4 bars, and yes, it could be backdashable.
4) They were never under Green Arrow. People STILL don't know know to interrupt/blow up d1 xx arrow. People STILL don't know how to backdash super. People STILL don't know how to block F2D13. Low tier people who got the character a bunch of unnecessary nerfs, people like yourself, who would go into the forums to remind us how broken beyond belief he was.
5) What does Chris G has to do with anything? He still gets away with murder.
6) Now you're saying GA's problem is his walk speed? How stupid is that? His problem is not being able to punish anything because tiny t-rex arms, slow normals and slow ass arrows.
7) You went to every GA post to tell us we were super downplayers, and now you say he's worse than poop. What.

Seriously, never give an opinion about a character you DON'T PLAY WITH OR AGAINST, especially if you don't even play at a decent level. It makes you look like a HUGE scrub, the kind of people who bitch and moan and get characters nerfed for NO reason at all.

Last edited:

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Also lets not forget that if you manage to out-footsie aquamang, you then have to hope his trait is on cooldown... or else out footsie him 2x in a row.

It is just annoying that this game gives some characters great footsies, great mixups, and great damage, (or great trait gimmick) while others remain subpar in al of them...

Really I am just mad that I like to play zoners in a game that fully supports counter-zoning