What's new

TYM Pokemon Showdown

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I was so offended I put flying instead of ground. ._. But yeah ground. Like seriously, why would anyone say Gliscor of all pokemon isn't viable?!
The only thing about him is that he is weak to Ice and water. which sucks but its not that big of an issue really. You also Cannot Status Hax him if you do it right. Which is great for a staller. Minus Confuse Hax. :/

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
He has immunity to Flying/Electric/Toxic(Toxic Orb set), Incredible bulk, Earthquake STAB, as well as setup and stall potential for any team that could possibly need it. He has plenty of perks. Skarmory is used primarily for setups but is less effective as it has less immunities, and actually boasts more weaknesses and LESS resistences now that Steel no longer resists Dark/Ghost this gen. Sturdy is a plus, but it doesn't really mean much when your setup turn is beat by U-Turn/Volt Switch into an Espeon. Or even a taunt with priority.
Back when I played, Gliscor was difficult to implement due to other mons being better, he also could mean death if you got a rain/ice team.

I haven't played the past 2 years though.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Gliscor is not viable when you look at other choices for team synergy. He doesn't really have the perks other tanks have and has more weaknesses than something like Skarmory.
They both have the same amount of weaknesses, and honestly Gliscor fits just fine on a lot of teams. It's all just based on yer team's needs.

AK Ace Universe

Yomi | RM Raoh
Back when I played, Gliscor was difficult to implement due to other mons being better, he also could mean death if you got a rain/ice team.

I haven't played the past 2 years though.
Gliscor has been relevant for the last 7 years. He has never been unviable, and 2 years ago he was still a ridiculous powerhouse with all of the same benefits as before. In the weather-meta of Gen 5 he was core on any sand team. And if you played against rain teams without a water absorb/storm drain check on your team you were doing it wrong. :/

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Gliscor has been relevant for the last 7 years. He has never been unviable, and 2 years ago he was still a ridiculous powerhouse with all of the same benefits as before. In the weather-meta of Gen 5 he was core on any sand team. And if you played against rain teams without a water absorb/storm drain check on your team you were doing it wrong. :/
Yeah, I worded it bad, I meant there are better pokes that server the same purpose. He probably just wasn't suited to my playstyle

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Gliscor is not viable when you look at other choices for team synergy. He doesn't really have the perks other tanks have and has more weaknesses than something like Skarmory.
I agree 100%..

Now who's ready to get skill gapped by my awesome team?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Literally half of Gen 5 was: Specially defensive T-tar with Fire blast and rocks, Bulky toxic orb Gliscor, Specially def Ferrothorn, Band Scizor, and SD Excadrill, and some other ridiculously good gen 5 pokemon like rotom-W, Terrakion, Heatran, or Landorous.

Shit was beyond belief.

AK Ace Universe

Yomi | RM Raoh
Literally half of Gen 5 was: Specially defensive T-tar with Fire blast and rocks, Bulky toxic orb Gliscor, Specially def Ferrothorn, Band Scizor, and SD Excadrill, and some other ridiculously good gen 5 pokemon like rotom-W, Terrakion, Heatran, or Landorous.

Shit was beyond belief.
The second half of Gen 5 was Rain/Dragon fever too. Arguably the most unfun thing to play against since Gen 4 Mence.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I played quite a bit last year...

but I really had no idea what the hell I was doing. lol

I just read up on how to build certain pokemon and used those builds and did pretty decent.

What I don't like about it is you always need some stupid looking mon on your team. =/

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I played quite a bit last year...

but I really had no idea what the hell I was doing. lol

I just read up on how to build certain pokemon and used those builds and did pretty decent.

What I don't like about it is you always need some stupid looking mon on your team. =/
Yeah.. I don't like that. But some I learn to like.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
THTB on there.

I may get into it for the long haul once ORAS changes get put in.

THTB

Soooooo, I am definitely getting back into PS. We need to get a Skype convo set up for this.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Fairies as a type are dumb but right now the characters available are not that strong so it's sort of balanced..

THTB

Also, fairies are too fucking good. They need to be nerfed.
Fairies as a type are dumb but right now the characters available are not that strong so it's sort of balanced..
Considering they're the main reason Dragons aren't so scary anymore, I think they're fine.

The type itself is really, really good, but no worse than Dragons. At least there are very few actually powerful Fairies, and only one so far is in question. The rest are there, but not really centralizing. The main reason they were brought in was to actually give Dragons something to fear. Seeing as how Salamence has been knocked down to UU, I'm not upset with the change they've brought. Game Freak actually did a damn good job in keeping them in line.

Last edited:

AK Ace Universe

Yomi | RM Raoh
Considering they're the main reason Dragons aren't so scary anymore, I think they're fine.

The type itself is really, really good, but no worse than Dragons. At least there are very few actually powerful Fairies, and only one so far is in question. The rest are there, but not really centralizing. The main reason they were brought in was to actually give Dragons something to fear. Seeing as how Salamence has been knocked down to UU, I'm not upset with the change they've brought. Game Freak actually did a damn good job in keeping them in line.
Except they also are the biggest threats in the game currently. Azumarill/Mawille/Togekiss/Clefable/Klefki/Sylveon/Gardevoir are all absolutely fucking ridiculous. They boast arguably one of the best offensive types currently (See Azumarill/Mawille), Some of the most prevalent immunity based combinations of types as well (Mawille/Togekiss/Klefki), are all relatively bulky with superior damage output (Mawille/Azumarill/Sylveon/Gardevoir). It's a little absurd that one type gets all of these advantages while completely shutting down an entire type in itself in Dragons. It's definitely not a weak type, but using the word "balanced" isn't exactly one I would throw around lightly.

THTB

Except they also are the biggest threats in the game currently. Azumarill/Mawille/Togekiss/Clefable/Klefki/Sylveon/Gardevoir are all absolutely fucking ridiculous. They boast arguably one of the best offensive types currently (See Azumarill/Mawille), Some of the most prevalent immunity based combinations of types as well (Mawille/Togekiss/Klefki), are all relatively bulky with superior damage output (Mawille/Azumarill/Sylveon/Gardevoir). It's a little absurd that one type gets all of these advantages while completely shutting down an entire type in itself in Dragons. It's definitely not a weak type, but using the word "balanced" isn't exactly one I would throw around lightly.
Klefki is still good, though Smogon Klefki no longer has Swagger. Also, Klefki can't hit worth shit if you're not a physical attacker under Smogon rules. Togekiss isn't on Mawile/Azumarill level. Sylveon has nice defensive potential, but gets her back blown out by hard hitters on the physical side, and doesn't do the cleric role as flawlessly as Chansey/Blissey. Gardevoir is the most damaging Fairy with Mega form, but doesn't have the stats or typing to be that far up there. And despite how good all of the Fairies may be, they get 10-0'd by Heatran all day, everyday.

So far, they've made an impact on what they were supposed to do, but they haven't completely taken over. Now Talonflame... >_>