What's new

TYM Pokemon Showdown

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
so i stopped playing pokemon when ruby and sapphire came out , what are these EVs u guys speak of ? and shinies and megas etc
EVs
EVs (Effort Values) existed in Ruby in Sapphire.. They're a way to specialize pokemon. You beat pokemon to get points from them for HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, or Speed. Once you fill out the max amount of points (252 is the max per kategory, 512 is the max total I believe) you just have to level it up for the points to be applied.

So for example if you beat a Rattata, it doesn't matter how much XP you get but you will always get 1 speed EV. So if you beat 252 Rattatas you'll max out your speed and have a faster pokemon. Just make sure you don't defeat the wrong pokemon and you're good. Some give more than 1 in a kategory so some areas are better for that but then you also have to factor how often those pokemon pop up in the area. Do you want to wait around for those 2 EV pokemon to show up 1 out of 5 times or would you rather just go to an area where a 1 EV pokemon shows up 1/2 the time?

So if you think about all that. It's a huge hassle in the real game, especially when you haven't even tested whether a certain EV build works well or if it even works well as a whole with your team. Then you have to also try to get the right nature (Natures boost a stat and decrease another) and you have to breed if you want a particular move.

Simulators kut all that out and you kan test stuff immediately, or battle immediately. Hardly anyone ever makes their best team the first time and the fact that in the real game you have to kommit from the beginning, it makes it a much greater hassle.

TL;DR
Read the first section.

Shinies
Shinies aren't important. They're really rare pokemon that have a different kolor than what they're supposed to be. Like Black Charizard.

Megas
I'm still getting used to Megas. When you play you'll immediately see how they work. They evolve in battle so it takes up a turn but they gain abilities, stats, etc..

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
EVs
EVs (Effort Values) existed in Ruby in Sapphire.. They're a way to specialize pokemon. You beat pokemon to get points from them for HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, or Speed. Once you fill out the max amount of points (252 is the max per kategory, 512 is the max total I believe) you just have to level it up for the points to be applied.

So for example if you beat a Rattata, it doesn't matter how much XP you get but you will always get 1 speed EV. So if you beat 252 Rattatas you'll max out your speed and have a faster pokemon. Just make sure you don't defeat the wrong pokemon and you're good. Some give more than 1 in a kategory so some areas are better for that but then you also have to factor how often those pokemon pop up in the area. Do you want to wait around for those 2 EV pokemon to show up 1 out of 5 times or would you rather just go to an area where a 1 EV pokemon shows up 1/2 the time?

So if you think about all that. It's a huge hassle in the real game, especially when you haven't even tested whether a certain EV build works well or if it even works well as a whole with your team. Then you have to also try to get the right nature (Natures boost a stat and decrease another) and you have to breed if you want a particular move.

Simulators kut all that out and you kan test stuff immediately, or battle immediately. Hardly anyone ever makes their best team the first time and the fact that in the real game you have to kommit from the beginning, it makes it a much greater hassle.

TL;DR
Read the first section.

Shinies
Shinies aren't important. They're really rare pokemon that have a different kolor than what they're supposed to be. Like Black Charizard.

Megas
I'm still getting used to Megas. When you play you'll immediately see how they work. They evolve in battle so it takes up a turn but they gain abilities, stats, etc..
thanks man so i knew about ev's after all , i just never got that into it the pokemon ai battles are pretty easy hehe , never played online against another player , is online mad cheap ? what do peeps usually go for when making a team ? id usually pick the most badass looking regardless of type :DOGE

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
thanks man so i knew about ev's after all , i just never got that into it the pokemon ai battles are pretty easy hehe , never played online against another player , is online mad cheap ? what do peeps usually go for when making a team ? id usually pick the most badass looking regardless of type :DOGE
Yeah. Against another player the mind games kan be intense. Though, sometimes your team just falls apart due to lack of knowledge, even if you have a solid team. With soo many variables (items, abilities, movesets, etc) it's possible to overlook somethings and some matches are usually determined by a very kritical moment from what I've been noticing. In higher power teams like Uber and OU it seems like everything is higher risk/reward but less diversity. In lower tiers there's more back and forth action but higher diversity which means more variables.

The way I've been doing it has been by choosing a kool pokemon I like, that looks viable, and then basing the team off that. Making sure I have a balance between aggressive and defensive pokemon and then making sure their moves kompliment each other and no weaknesses are too prevalent. Though with these two teams that I've made so far, I've been noticing that the pokemon I've based my team off of haven't been doing so well kompared to the rest of the team.

Also sometimes I see something that looks cheap (and fun) and I build around that koncept.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Sorry I just saw this are you still down? I play both of those tiers as well so we can do either one. :)
I guess we'll play whenever you're on again.. lol.

I found it odd that you would post that asking to play and not even bother checking again. It's kinda like asking a question and then leaving the room. Haha.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I guess we'll play whenever you're on again.. lol.

I found it odd that you would post that asking to play and not even bother checking again. It's kinda like asking a question and then leaving the room. Haha.
Well my wife called for me to drop something off at her office. Trust me I was on. Are you on right now?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I remember when I used to play this. Gliscor is like subzero, awesome to play but not really viable.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Gliscor is not viable when you look at other choices for team synergy. He doesn't really have the perks other tanks have and has more weaknesses than something like Skarmory.

AK Ace Universe

Yomi | RM Raoh
Gliscor is not viable when you look at other choices for team synergy. He doesn't really have the perks other tanks have and has more weaknesses than something like Skarmory.
He has immunity to Flying/Electric/Toxic(Toxic Orb set), Incredible bulk, Earthquake STAB, as well as setup and stall potential for any team that could possibly need it. He has plenty of perks. Skarmory is used primarily for setups but is less effective as it has less immunities, and actually boasts more weaknesses and LESS resistences now that Steel no longer resists Dark/Ghost this gen. Sturdy is a plus, but it doesn't really mean much when your setup turn is beat by U-Turn/Volt Switch into an Espeon. Or even a taunt with priority.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
He has immunity to Flying/Electric/Toxic(Toxic Orb set), Incredible bulk, Earthquake STAB, as well as setup and stall potential for any team that could possibly need it. He has plenty of perks. Skarmory is used primarily for setups but is less effective as it has less immunities, and actually boasts more weaknesses and LESS resistences now that Steel no longer resists Dark/Ghost this gen. Sturdy is a plus, but it doesn't really mean much when your setup turn is beat by U-Turn/Volt Switch into an Espeon. Or even a taunt with priority.
You forgot Ground ;) For his Immunities.