What's new

Twitch.tv policy changes: "save forever" gone, old videos to be deleted

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter

Realistically speaking, though, servers fill up eventually. Either have to buy more, which costs money, or delete old stuff.
I blame TwitchPlaysPokemon. Those fucks...
Sure, but think about YouTube. Growth is agood thing. I guess not!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Wait a second...
Google owns Twitch
Google owns YouTube
Isn't it redundant to move videos from one set of servers they own to another?
What would be SMART would give the option to automatically transfer video to the YouTube servers. That way if you were soneone like @Maximilian it'd be one less step would have to take and it would save time.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
What would be smart would be to give the option to automatically transfer video to the YouTube servers. That way if you were someone like @Maximilian it'd be one less step you would have to take and it would save time.
Is there not already an option for that on Twitch? That's weird :confused:

Them moving the data from one set of servers they own to another isn't changing anything except where they're stored though. The actual videos would remain as would the data so they wouldn't be cutting anything out, it'd all still be on their servers.

This is all of course assuming they're asking for all the videos to be moved because they're running out of space on the Twitch servers...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I won't be streaming til I get an Xbox One anyway lol I'll probably use the export to YT option since I have a channel anyway. But good to know.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I doubt this would happen if the current gen consoles (ps4 & xbone) didn't stream out the box. I mean eventually I figured they will run out of space and have to change their policies as it will get to expensive.

I just honestly feel it would of happened later if it wasn't for the new consoles streaming but lbsh we all had to know this will happen some day.

Would be nice if sponsored channels or big streamers don't have to worry about this. I wonder if they will adjust/change this policy as time goes on and if other big steamers will move their streaming else where like hit box or u stream.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Real talk, there is a lot of shit on Twitch that probably doesn't need to be there. For every PPJ taking NEC, we have like 100 14 year olds with 8 hours of them playing CoD. We are caught in the crossfire (my point being there are oodles of vids with little to no views costing Google server space).

mfkaoz

Banned
It sucks to see this as far as a viewer of tournaments but as a streamer myself I don't really mind this too much. I save all my archives just in case people want to watch them, but I don't care honestly all you'll see is me getting bodied for a few hours.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I don't see any problem with this, 2 hours should be and worst come to worst you'll have to save a whole broadcast in seperate 2 hour "high lights" it will work out.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Thanks for the info. We definitely need to get that old content up on youtube before its lost forever!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Damn, we about to lose alot of classic MK9 sets.
Not if I can help it...

Actually there's nothing I can do and I don't want to download a bunch of streams from Twitch to preserve them because I'm not a nice person, quite opposite actually. But somebody else totally should download the best streams and reupload them in full to YouTbue. Then make a thread where we can neatly organise them. If lots of people do it and participate we can easily have all the good stuff. Why am I typing so small that people would have to squint their eyes? Oh yeah I forgot, I'm an a****** ;)

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Twitch is also implementing the copyrighted music policies of youtube. They will mute any archives that their robots deem has copyrighted music in it. If I read it right, I don't think it matters if you stream with music playing. They will just mute the archive. Ay Carumba!
Yeah and the system so far is being reported to broke as shit too.