What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Just started messing around in the lab with Aquaman to see what high tier was like and wow I am impressed. My eyes lit up when I saw I could front dash to cancel out of his shield directly into the low launcher of his. So much range on that out of the dash and it was so fast. Good combos, good zoning, good defense, gets damage off of anything, combos have all the time in the world to complete.

Great character. I think I'll toy around with him some more later.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Hi guys,
noobie here, I ask you if you help me to add some mixup strategies on my game.
Usually I (wrongly) start with B1, 2.. Scoop but if I found an opponent that block low everytime have my game completely destroyed.
So, the B2 overhead is pretty much damn unsafe, what can I else do?

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
Hi guys,
noobie here, I ask you if you help me to add some mixup strategies on my game.
Usually I (wrongly) start with B1, 2.. Scoop but if I found an opponent that block low everytime have my game completely destroyed.
So, the B2 overhead is pretty much damn unsafe, what can I else do?
Yeah B2 is crazy slow so I hardly find myself using it. I would suggest maybe when they are crouching and expecting a low, try jumping and hitting him overhead with j3 and you mighy be lucky and can start a combo off of it. If not it still does like 11% damage I think. You can also grab them as they are expecting the low starter. Make them realize that they cant just block low and then open them up low again lol.

Im still learning aquaman myself so maybe someone else will have way better advicr but those are some options I would try.

So I'm not an aquaman player, but I recently ran into one and he abused the shit out of the dd3, it absorbed everything I threw at it, projectiles, high's, lows, jump-ins, command grabs, so I was wondering what actually beats it. Or does nothing technically beat it(since he still takes damage and such)? Just wondering, trying to understand the mechanics of this game.

Yeah B2 is crazy slow so I hardly find myself using it. I would suggest maybe when they are crouching and expecting a low, try jumping and hitting him overhead with j3 and you mighy be lucky and can start a combo off of it. If not it still does like 11% damage I think. You can also grab them as they are expecting the low starter. Make them realize that they cant just block low and then open them up low again lol.

Im still learning aquaman myself so maybe someone else will have way better advicr but those are some options I would try.
B2 is actually pretty damn good and you should use it. You can cancel it into Scoop (which really shouldn't work) and can cancel it into Trident Rush for some solid chip and Meter Build. It also stuffs a lot of jump in attempts right as they are getting off the ground. I will actually start matches with it here and there and it works well there as well.

At bare minimum I would recommend mixing it in to keep your opponents honest and to help build meter.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Yea b2 is pretty damn amazing imo. I abuse it, probably a little too much. The way I often use it, is on reaction to an opponent trying to dash in on me. In a mirror match for example, I met another aquaman who loved to abuse the b2 xx scoop too, and I had problems dealing with it in the beginning, but then I understood that he was basically just dashing in on me and doing b2 to catch me off guard, so I countered it by reacting to his dash with b2. That overhead has so much range, and if someone dashes in to that max distance range, they usually try to dash once more, jump, or do another move, and b2 seems to beat most of it.

I should learn to use b2 xx water shield too, but the cancel timing is a little weird for me atm.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Character Balance Improvements

Aquaman

• Water of Life Character Power now lasts 2 seconds (down from 2.5) and has an 8 second cool down (increased from 7 seconds)
  • Increased the ability to punish a Trident Scoop (Down, Back, 1) from Aquaman when the defender blocks.
  • Normalized the amount of damage Aquaman inflicts on an opponent while they are blocking his Trident Rush (Down, Forward + 1)

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
Character Balance Improvements

Aquaman

• Water of Life Character Power now lasts 2 seconds (down from 2.5) and has an 8 second cool down (increased from 7 seconds)
  • Increased the ability to punish a Trident Scoop (Down, Back, 1) from Aquaman when the defender blocks.
  • Normalized the amount of damage Aquaman inflicts on an opponent while they are blocking his Trident Rush (Down, Forward + 1)
Fine with the last two but not his trait nerfs. I'm in the minority and think he needs that trait. I know this probably wont be that huge of an effect but I think people were overreacting to it.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Fine with the last two but not his trait nerfs. I'm in the minority and think he needs that trait. I know this probably wont be that huge of an effect but I think people were overreacting to it.
i think those changes are huge and bad for him, totally unnecessary.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
More people need to do D3 into F3 you can even throw a MB F3 in there if you want. I can't remember even being punished on block and it pushes the opponent back away from you if blocked (probably was but 99% of the time I wasn't).

Leads to full combo if hit and gives good pushback if blocked. If they come in on you, you can hit that B12.

Also, on a hard knockdown it is a nice followup.

Can someone confirm that this is safe little tech on a grand scale?

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Didn't b2 xx db2 combo with aquaman before? I was sure that was my only good way to combo in to b3? It didn't work on green arrow now at least!

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Can anybody test how long (in frames) Aquaman's dash and backdash last? Was wondering because I was messing around as Cyborg vs. Aquaman dummy programmed to dash b12, tried to super on reaction for fun and didn't punish. Not mission-critical, but might be nice to know for creating baits in certain situations.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Didn't b2 xx db2 combo with aquaman before? I was sure that was my only good way to combo in to b3? It didn't work on green arrow now at least!
This combo has always been character specific. There is a list posted of who it works on somewhere

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I see lots of Aquaman players, when you hit scoop with you back to the corner (f1 scoop for example) do uppercut as they are crossing over. For example, something like f1 xx db1, d2, b123 xx db2 MB, 223.

I agree, adding a hit for consistency on that weird crossover timing is good. However you can use standing 1 instead. It works the same way and causes no damage scaling. The combos will still do the same unlike using uppercut which causes a large amount of dmg scaling.

So instead use f1 xx db1, 1, b123 xx db2 MB, 223

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Yeah I got a bad habit of doing scoop on blockstrings, only to get bopped.

Gotta form some better habits.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Hi guys,
maybe someone just tell that, but I can't find this info.
What is Aquaman's best wake up attack? It's seems that I can't figure out.
I use Deep Trident sometime, but maybe it's not the best option.

Another question that come to mind: is there a good way to use his Aquashield?
Because, I personally don't use it a lot but I think that it's not good to forget about it, especially for one like me that has very hard time with zoning.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hi guys,
maybe someone just tell that, but I can't find this info.
What is Aquaman's best wake up attack? It's seems that I can't figure out.
I use Deep Trident sometime, but maybe it's not the best option.

Another question that come to mind: is there a good way to use his Aquashield?
Because, I personally don't use it a lot but I think that it's not good to forget about it, especially for one like me that has very hard time with zoning.
Scoop and rush are the best I think for wakeups. I mostly use water shield when I have the health lead and meter lead and they have to come to me. It's hard to explain how to use it because its a super freestyle kind of move. Just in general make them come to you and then burst for some damage and full screen. Then once they are afraid of that, you can dash back and do it again to waste even more time, or try some other option depending on the situation. I also cancel b123 into it, the burst is a true block string and its plus on block so you can play some mind games there.