What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Thanks, I saw this video some days ago.
The problem is that I'm italian and I don't understand all of Tom's speech. :(

If I understand correctly, does he suggest to end combos with the F2,1+2 string to nullify wake up and continue with footsies and pressure?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Thanks, I saw this video some days ago.
The problem is that I'm italian and I don't understand all of Tom's speech. :(

If I understand correctly, does he suggest to end combos with the F2,1+2 string to nullify wake up and continue with footsies and pressure?
Yes pretty much. You can check them with a FTD (db2) to beat a jump, dash back, or anything besides block and certain wakeup attacks. Obviously the characters wake up options are specific for each matcup, so some will be able to get out of this, some won't. Then you just have to learn to punish those specific wakeups. Once you get them respecting the FTD, your other options open up such as dashing in for pressure or a throw, jumping depending on the characts aa abilities, or a b2. I use this setup almost 100 percent of the time.

Daniel Aiden

Unknown-Member31
Aquaman trait vs Scorpion ! I had some matches with a good scorpion and I noticed you can beat anything he tries after spear if you activate trait before spear hit you . you will be pulled next to him but you can block his next attack or mix-up and punish it with b12 . this works the same as trait vs batgirl bola if she tries the vortex . Sorry if anyone know that already , if not, please try it . I didn't visited the forum for some time .

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I don't know if it's been mentioned before (I'd be surprised if it hasn't... but I don't want to look through 12 pages of whatever), though I haven't seen anybody really doing it...

It seems like (for the most part) after some poor bastard eats a full screen ground trident, they HAVE to duck or block full screen trident toss. The recovery on it is terrible but the pushback on block is really good and, while it seems pretty inconsistent, I've seen this get blocked by regular hitbox characters while they're in crouching state. Don't know WTF that's all about.

Sorry if this is day one tech that I missed out on and just now found out about or if I'm totally wrong about the force-duck/block. Just thought I'd share because I've been getting a fuckton of free tridents in on bitches with this shenanigan.

Trident toss is a seriously underrated projectile though. The thing's hitbox is a freaking mile long.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Trident Toss isn't that bad, mostly just way more situational than From The Deep for being about equally unsafe at all ranges. The height (and length, as you mentioned) of its collision area is really good for full-screen anti-air compared with FTD, but it's even less safe to use as a "random" move than FTD since you can duck it and force Aquaman into a zillion years of whiff-punishable recovery. And if you use it on reaction to anything but a jump, it's less rewarding than FTD because you can convert an FTD hit into a combo.

More reward for basically the same risk, aside from a handful of situations. Besides the height of its hitbox, the main utility Toss offers over FTD is its crazy damage for a "standard" single-hit meterless projectile. Definitely worth tacking onto the end of a combo you know/strongly suspect will kill with that extra 1-2%.

But I'll admit I'm kinda biased because since I play alternate controls on a stick, I have a hard time experimenting with Trident Toss in matchup situations where it (kind of) makes sense. Half-circle sucks compared to BF, but I'm not sure if going back to standard would get me in trouble with accidental scoops/rushes/FTDs buffered from d,f/d,b while adjusting my position for, say, anti-air d2. I only really use Toss in a handful of matchups right now (mostly Green Lantern) to discourage certain air fireballs, and I tend to mess up a lot on short notice.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Yes pretty much. You can check them with a FTD (db2) to beat a jump, dash back, or anything besides block and certain wakeup attacks. Obviously the characters wake up options are specific for each matcup, so some will be able to get out of this, some won't. Then you just have to learn to punish those specific wakeups. Once you get them respecting the FTD, your other options open up such as dashing in for pressure or a throw, jumping depending on the characts aa abilities, or a b2. I use this setup almost 100 percent of the time.
Many thanks!
Luckly, it's one thing that I used to do.
Now I'm studying other method to destroy wake up.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I'd consider aqua my main but ATM have had very little time with the game. Is f2 1&3 the only ender I should ever use? Why is it so preferable over 223 my current ender? Also does anyone else use b123 on block? It seems pretty safe to me.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'd consider aqua my main but ATM have had very little time with the game. Is f2 1&3 the only ender I should ever use? Why is it so preferable over 223 my current ender? Also does anyone else use b123 on block? It seems pretty safe to me.
Due to the space it gives you, ground trident is very safe, and a lot of wake up attacks won't be able to hit you. Have you seen TOm's video about it?

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Thanks hgtv,no I haven't seen his vid yet but I guess I'll quit using 223 now.is 223 any good now and again for baiting a wake up attack?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Thanks hgtv,no I haven't seen his vid yet but I guess I'll quit using 223 now.is 223 any good now and again for baiting a wake up attack?
I would only use it to keep positional advantage. And the video is right at the top of this page, or in my video thread, go check it out!

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
223 is okay if you need to keep people in the corner when f2 1+3 would throw them out. f2 1+3 offers more advantages midscreen, but the corner takes priority, because there f1 and f13 get REALLY stupid. Love me some f13 corner combos (especially if only the 2nd hit hits so the scaling is MUCH more favorable).

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
i was wondering if aquaman even needs a D1 because his f1 is only 1 frame slower, has just as much range, and goes into a mixup/combo; rumor is that F13 is getting nerfed. i'm guessing they'll probably increase the startup, which would suck because he would lose his frame traps. the gap between F1 and 3 is already interruptible.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
i was wondering if aquaman even needs a D1 because his f1 is only 1 frame slower, has just as much range, and goes into a mixup/combo; rumor is that F13 is getting nerfed. i'm guessing they'll probably increase the startup, which would suck because he would lose his frame traps. the gap between F1 and 3 is already interruptible.
I believe d1 has a shorter duration than f1 so if they back dash you are usually safe. That's the only reason I use it.

dabuz

Noob
So, I entered my first offline tournament for Injustice (hell, played for the first time offline against decent people period) at Impulse 2013 and got 1/13 using only Aquaman. No notable players were there as far as I know but it feels nice to finally get to play offline, game felt soooo much better compared to offline. Also had the satisfaction that I made some self proclaiming "pro" Green Lantern really salty that he lost to me in 2 GFs sets (I came from losers), he then proceeded to complain that he lost to a "scrub" to every IJ player in the venue for the next 30 minutes after the GFs. xD

G-Ram

Noob
Been having a lot of issues with scorpion. Friend of mine just waita for me to jump or whiff to tele and jumps over me with jump 3 and jump 1and mix up with those and tele. Not sure how to really use parry in the match which I heard is good.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Been having a lot of issues with scorpion. Friend of mine just waita for me to jump or whiff to tele and jumps over me with jump 3 and jump 1and mix up with those and tele. Not sure how to really use parry in the match which I heard is good.
I'm actually about to upload a set I played with OZZYUITAR in this matchup, maybe that can help you? I'll post some info on it afterwards.

McNasty

Moist.
Im curious about the just frame trident Tom Brady mentioned in that podcast is it on the 8th frame right as they lose invulnerability? or some other specific time? Also if there are particular wake ups that are better to practice this with?

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
Im curious about the just frame trident Tom Brady mentioned in that podcast is it on the 8th frame right as they lose invulnerability? or some other specific time? Also if there are particular wake ups that are better to practice this with?
didn't watch the podcast, are you talking about the from the deep followup after landing F2 1+3 to beat wakeups?

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I just picked up Aqua and I can do some basic BnB's, but most of his combos seem to use meter and I find myself without meter A LOT, especially bc I burn one on full screen once I get a trident hit and go for the MB then another for the 20% dmg, is it worth it?

The combos I can do currently, b12, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
b2, b12, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
b2u3, 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
B3, j3 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
F3 j2 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
d2 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
SOMETIMES I can do this one without meter, but online its almost impossible: b12, db2, b12, db1, f2 1+3

Which one should I be using more? The F3 and B3 seem wasteful even though its like 40+ but 2 meters! Bc i usually armor the f3 or b3. And how do I get in? I usually try to do b12 and if they block they just punish the shit out of me. TIPS PLS! Also, what the heck do you wake up with? I seem to get eaten alive by meaty crossovers all day since I don't have any good wakeup attacks.