What's new

Top Players by Skill

Between the two options I have mentioned, which do you value more?

• Technical

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Psychological

Votes: 39 72.2%

• Total voters

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Expanding upon Rev0lver's Thread, I wanted to make a note of the differences of value amongst players and their skills. There are different skills to take into account when deciding who is the best "skillwise". Some of these skills are more technical but others are more artistic/kreative.

An example: @EGP Wonder_Chef has a MUCH higher technical skill than other known top players like @GGA 16 Bit and @FOREVER KING but both of these top players have a greater psychological ability than Chef.

To limit the effects a character kan have on a player, I'll use an example that is perhaps the best I kan provide: Batman and its players.

Batman is one of the most versatile characters in this game. He has answer for everything. Furthermore, he kan zone or rushdown or mix between the two.

Now onto the players: (Note that this is based on my experience from MLG Anaheim so much may have changed since then.)

@DarthArma : Has the best bat management and mechanical understanding of set ups. Is perhaps the most technical batman player.

@Nubcakes : Has the best technical skill of Anti-Airing. Is perhaps the most diverse batman player.

@FOREVER KING : Has no particular technical skills exceeding any of the other two players. Is perhaps the best free form Batman player.

Edit Note: On this note of Forever King. I am not saying he doesn't have technical skills, I am saying that he does not have any that are notably regarded as "best" (aka better than others) from my observations. This is only for technical skills, I regard him as the best in psychological skill.

Now who is the best? That depends on what you value. Do you value raw Technical ability? Or do you value Psychological ability? Or perhaps you feel the best is a good mix between the two and thus you value Versatility?

Of kourse, not all characters are designed to be this way. Some are narrow in their potential and thus must be judged accordingly. Just like in nature, the most successful players are those put into an environment where they kan thrive.

TL;DR There are different skills in each player.

What kategories do you konsider as possible values for the basis of judgment? Which skills do you value most?

Last edited:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Pretty interesting. In my opinion, technical skill, in your terms, often does not matter or can be detrimental in some circumstances for tournament play.

For a theoritical example, lets say I have a situation where I know that I have a 70% success rate of performing a highly technical AA/combo/punish/setup etc. In casuals this will attract alot of attention and praise, yet if it fails, you just shrug it off. Who cares, its casuals right? Well, many players will take this into tournament and it will cost them big time. Instead of blocking or just taking the safe route, they go for the big play and it may cost them.

So, taking this case, you watch tournament footage of a player. You see they do not go for these tactics that a training partner does whom you play countless casuals with, and conclude that there is a difference in technical skill. However, one player made the conscious decision to not incorporate something into their gameplan that does not have 90%+ completion rate.

For your example of batman players. I do not think King lacks vs any other batman player in technical skill, in my opinion, just that in tournament play he will often take the conservative route which my make him less technical, but in reality there is many situations where he would rather stay advantageous rather than go for something non-guaranteed and possibly expose himself. I believe that is a factor that has played into him being the most successful tournament batman overall, IMO.

Just my opinion on the subject.

DarkFire*

Your halo is mine.
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on the whole FOREVER KING having less technical skills than those other two chongas! XD First of all FOREVER KING is the most successful Batman by far, numerous tournaments and placings and top 8's and grand finals have shown that. I don't think there is anything those other two Batman players can do that King can't do. I don't think there are any players those other two Batman players can beat that King can't beat lol. Anything they can do King can do better, anyone they can beat King can beat harder, and he constantly shows it every single tournament. If anything King can do things they can't do and beat people they can't beat lmao!

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Pretty interesting. In my opinion, technical skill, in your terms, often does not matter or can be detrimental in some circumstances for tournament play.

For a theoritical example, lets say I have a situation where I know that I have a 70% success rate of performing a highly technical AA/combo/punish/setup etc. In casuals this will attract alot of attention and praise, yet if it fails, you just shrug it off. Who cares, its casuals right? Well, many players will take this into tournament and it will cost them big time. Instead of blocking or just taking the safe route, they go for the big play and it may cost them.

So, taking this case, you watch tournament footage of a player. You see they do not go for these tactics that a training partner does whom you play countless casuals with, and conclude that there is a difference in technical skill. However, one player made the conscious decision to not incorporate something into their gameplan that does not have 90%+ completion rate.

For your example of batman players. I do not think King lacks vs any other batman player in technical skill, in my opinion, just that in tournament play he will often take the conservative route which my make him less technical, but in reality there is many situations where he would rather stay advantageous rather than go for something non-guaranteed and possibly expose himself. I believe that is a factor that has played into him being the most successful tournament batman overall, IMO.

Just my opinion on the subject.
My definition of technical did not involve the influence of others. Taking Chef as an example, he has a lot of technical skills that he values like reliably anti-airing, etc but if he fails it is more intrinsic motivation. If he does something flashy in kasuals, he does feel himself (he's human) but that isn't his primary motivation in the future. Technical is the raw skill, not the psychological. Though in general, the better you get at one thing, the worse you get at the other.

I see what you mean on Forever King but I didn't say he didn't have technical skills. I said none of his technical skills reached the status of "best". With this in mind, he kould theoretically be just barely behind in every kategory to where he is almost the best in a technical skill but is just not quite there. Of kourse, this whole thing is a generalization and every little detail won't fit in perfectly. What you said, that he would take the advantageous situation, is what I also mean by psychological skill. He has a greater "feel" for when he should and shouldn't do something as opposed to the other players.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on the whole FOREVER KING having less technical skills than those other two chongas! XD First of all FOREVER KING is the most successful Batman by far, numerous tournaments and placings and top 8's and grand finals have shown that. I don't think there is anything those other two Batman players can do that King can't do. I don't think there are any players those other two Batman players can beat that King can't beat lol. Anything they can do King can do better, anyone they can beat King can beat harder, and he constantly shows it every single tournament. If anything King can do things they can't do and beat people they can't beat lmao!
I added an edit note to the OP.

And you kan further see in my reply to Dizzy (right above this komment) what I meant.

Let me see if understand this correctly by using this as an example.

Aquaman.

Tom Brady is the more technical aquaman player.

Theo is the more psychological player.

Am I on point or backwards???

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

Aquaman.

Either could be argued. That's the point, its entirely subjective.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

Aquaman.

Not exactly. I kan't even determine Brady's level of skill in either area to be honest.

Aquaman as a character doesn't really force the need to be technical so Theo is able to focus on his Psychological side.. Theo was smart on his choice of a character.

This is also why I used Batman as an example. Aquaman just doesn't warrant enough of either skill to merit much discussion.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Is downplaying a skill?

Cause Forever king is 100% the best downplaying batman. He's so good at it, im now convinced batman sucks and I want to play other characters.
Hey Nubs has that too!

You're quite lacking in that skill. And once again Nubs is left as the middle child. No wonder he's so often forgotten...

Red Reaper post: 1494906 said:
Not exactly. I kan't even determine Brady's level of skill in either area to be honest.

Aquaman as a character doesn't really force the need to be technical so Theo is able to focus on his Psychological side.. Theo was smart on his choice of a character.

This is also why I used Batman as an example. Aquaman just doesn't warrant enough of either skill to merit much discussion.
Are u a blood? I noticed your spelling of "can't"? Lol

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Is downplaying a skill?

Cause Forever king is 100% the best downplaying batman. He's so good at it, im now convinced batman sucks and I want to play other characters.
I don't downplay I'm honest :p the last matchup chart I made every representative from every character agreed with me, if anything people thought I was up playing and said they think he loses to their character lol

The only reason someone would think I'm downplaying is because they're still stuck in the past where they think Batman only loses to Aquaman and nobody else, but that is not the case :(

I would definitely say arma is the most technical batman.

King, however, is the most complete batman. He doesn't rely on set ups as much but instead goes for the damage when he can by making great reads and adapting on the go.

BRUTALITY

Banned
i think it is a little misleading to some to some to split it between 'Technical' and 'Psychological'. As Psychological fortitude / mental control is surely a technical aspect of gameplay.

the distinction you are making is more a question of Risk vs Reward, Execution vs Application. We are talking about a difference in measurement for decision making. But what is the point of difference between these players?

Lets take REO vs PL

Reo was a button pressing execution master who knew eveything about his character and also when to apply it. Kabal is by far the best character. What did PL have in comparison? it was the not highest execution or particularly the best character knowledge (that goes to ETC McFly, surely) but PL had some kind of psychological advantage. he measured risk and reward differently.

BRUTALITY

Banned
I don't downplay I'm honest :p the last matchup chart I made every representative from every character agreed with me, if anything people thought I was up playing and said they think he loses to their character lol

The only reason someone would think I'm downplaying is because they're still stuck in the past where they think Batman only loses to Aquaman and nobody else, but that is not the case :(
yes batman also loses to
batman

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
i think it is a little misleading to some to some to split it between 'Technical' and 'Psychological'. As Psychological fortitude / mental control is surely a technical aspect of gameplay.

the distinction you are making is more a question of Risk vs Reward, Execution vs Application. We are talking about a difference in measurement for decision making. But what is the point of difference between these players?

Lets take REO vs PL

Reo was a button pressing execution master who knew eveything about his character and also when to apply it. Kabal is by far the best character. What did PL have in comparison? it was the not highest execution or particularly the best character knowledge (that goes to ETC McFly, surely) but PL had some kind of psychological advantage. he measured risk and reward differently.
mmm Reo was far better in both aspects in last 2012 - 2013 mk9 time frame. Also has nothing to do with him playing Kabal. He is THE Kabal, was top 8 at every tourney he went to except 2 for a reason. PL has 2 evo wins and i think 1 or 2 other wins, Reo is on another lvl even though PL is still solid, but imo it's not a good comparison toward the end of the game Reo was just on point in all aspects of the game

There's no way @GGA Max max agrees that bane vs batman is 5-5. All jokes aside, and everything besides that match up, I'm starting to see eye to eye with you.