What's new

Tom Brady's MK9 Matchup Chart (2/17)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don´t agree with Baraka's position. He is a very good character when you play defensive with him.
He's very solid in footsies and works as a turtle character...but that only gets you so far really.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Everyone needs to read this. I notice some very experienced tourney players state that they disagree with certain matchups but they state a reason why and logically push the issue.

I see other people say stuff like "there is no way mileena loses to Lui kang" . People think that because they dont struggle in a MU that is cant be a bad MU. The reality is that in a MU chart the player isnt considered. If you look at it as "well i always beat kenshi so he sucks" then you dont understand. If we were to watch every hypothetical 10 game series that went into this chart every match would be a nail biter. Saying i dont struggle against some one means that you are more skilled. But if they were just as good as you the MU wouldnt matter because they would be able to keep up and beat you 4 of 10 times. That is still a tough MU. Every character in this game will give every character trouble.

not to call you out death but for the sake of my post this was the best example. I love you.

I havnt lost to a Sonya in 4 months in tourney play...Tom has nw losing 3-7. I texted Tom and he said it is 4-6 and 3-7 was a typo. Have a little respect and try to understand what this chart really represents. And understand that changes will made and this isn't set in stone

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
i agree with tom on pretty much everything on sz, those 3 7 mus r pretty bad. however i think hes 5 5 with reptile.
I agree with Sub being mid-low but Tom really seems to have written up some of his matchups out of spite for the character. How else can you explain a 4-6 against Kano? I don't care what anybody says, Kano is one of Sub's best matchups and the 3-7's are over the top. I agree with a few of them but I strongly disagree with Freddy, Jax and Sonya. They're not that terrible. I don't think Sub loses to Noob and Shang either.

Too many matchup scores to disagree with. Overall placement concerns me less because all the characters are fairly close together outside of the top 10 but some of the scores are just too bold.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
@ all sub players

Don't yu guys think out of all the characters in this chart that subs placement is probably the most accurate? Does anyone have more high level MU exp with this character than Tom? I trust his view of sub over ALLLLLLLLLLL subs that have posted in this thread. Reread my last post

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
@ all sub players

Don't yu guys think out of all the characters in this chart that subs placement is probably the most accurate? Does anyone have more high level MU exp with this character than Tom? I trust his view of sub over ALLLLLLLLLLL subs that have posted in this thread. Reread my last post
It isn't the placement. Sub is not a great character in this game. There are matchups that Tom needs to elaborate on, though, and he will know that. Kano being one of the most obvious examples. That has always been a near 7-3 matchup for Sub-Zero and now it's 4-6? Why is that? That's what I would like to know.

If you refer back to my first post in this thread, you'll see I give my respect to Tom for his knowledge of the game and especially Sub-Zero. Respect is not just agreeing with everything somebody says before reasons are given, though.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It isn't the placement. Sub is not a great character in this game. There are matchups that Tom needs to elaborate on, though, and he will know that. Kano being one of the most obvious examples. That has always been a near 7-3 matchup for Sub-Zero and now it's 4-6? Why is that? That's what I would like to know.
I can figure that out. It's the same reason Kano beats cyrax. His knives just recover too fast to trade with ice ball. And I don't think sub can really punish up ball either. There is more I'm sure but it makes perfect sense.

Think about the best possible Kano. Sub doesn't stand a chance

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I can figure that out. It's the same reason Kano beats cyrax. His knives just recover too fast to trade with ice ball. And I don't think sub can really punish up ball either. There is more I'm sure but it makes perfect sense.

Think about the best possible Kano. Sub doesn't stand a chance
Sub can slide knives at half screen and yes he can trade with iceball if he chooses to. From the beginning of the round, you're going to get pushed back towards the corner as kano because Sub gets free pressure off untechable knockdowns (slide) if you try to zone him and you can't wakeup attack due to clone. Once Subgets in on Kano, he mauls him, especially in the corner.

It's completely the other way around to how you see it.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Heh, ye can simply slide under the knives to keep Kano honest.. Tom has mentioned many times on the old S1lent show that Sub owns the Kano mu. Hmm...

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
At half screen nw can't even reflect on reaction how do you expect to slide on reaction. Reflect has 0 start up...Kano can space him self to where you can't do anything.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
At half screen nw can't even reflect on reaction how do you expect to slide on reaction. Reflect has 0 start up...Kano can space him self to where you can't do anything.
As Sub you can mash back, forwards on the dpad at half screen, and as soon as you see the startup for his knife toss, you can hit 4 and you will do it on reaction. Online it's sketchy, offline it's really easy.

Kano cannot start doing random balls either because the risk reward doesn't favour him. youcan eat one or two, but as soon as you block one, Kano is dead.

Truth

Noob
The SZ-Kano matchup has always been in SZ's favour. You can trade with iceball with knifes, and Kano's only answer to a turtling SZ is using the ex-air ball, which if blocked gets blown up. The only person that has played Kano to any recognizable extent is Josh the Funkdoc, and look at his numbers (he lists it as Kano's worst matchup):

Finally, Sub-Zero. EX slide. 3.5-6.5. To quote the immortal Skip Rogers, "HAPPY GAMING!"

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
SZ vs Jax 3-7 seems a bit of a stretch as well. Another mu that Brady once said was in SZ's favor. Granted Jax got some great buffs to get in, but he still needs to burn meter to do so.

Discuss. I'm not a SZ player, but I've seen the mu played enough to consider it closer than that.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
SZ vs Jax 3-7 seems a bit of a stretch as well. Another mu that Brady once said was in Jax's favor. Granted Jax got some great buffs to get in, but he still needs to burn meter to do so.

Discuss. I'm not a SZ player, but I've seen the mu played enough to consider it closer than that.
Against the best Jax I know, I can't win with anyone other than Sub-Zero. Jax crushes Noob, Smoke, Cyber Sub, but my Sub can win a fair share because even though he can armour to reverse the corner situation, so can I, albeit mine is a riskier way out, that is granted. Jax cannot have meter all game against Sub-Zero if you know how to control your spacing against Jax.

Jax's favour, but not 3-7. 4-6 at the very worst. If it's based on CDjr, you may as well say 9-1 because CDjr is so far ahead of everybody else in the States, from what I see, with the exception of possibly Perfect Legend, but thatremains to be seen.

Truth

Noob
SZ vs Jax 3-7 seems a bit of a stretch as well. Another mu that Brady once said was in Jax's favor. Granted Jax got some great buffs to get in, but he still needs to burn meter to do so.

This one is where Brady's experience comes into play, he probably has more Jax experience than any other SZ player besides Denzel, since he trains with CDjr. It would be tough to argue against considering most SZ players aren't playing the one of best Jaxes (this is how you pluralize it right? lol) in the world. I wonder if MITDJT could get some input from Denzel since he has very good success against Tyrant.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
This one is where Brady's experience comes into play, he probably has more Jax experience than any other SZ player besides Denzel, since he trains with CDjr. It would be tough to argue against considering most SZ players aren't playing the one of best Jaxes (this is how you pluralize it right? lol) in the world. I wonder if MITDJT could get some input from Denzel since he has very good success against Tyrant.
Tom Brady would have to be as good as CDjr, though, and I amsure TB would be the first to say that CDjr has been the better player in the newer versions of the game.

Tomis a great player and is very knowledgeable but CDjr is just one of those guys where you have to say, he's just better than you when he's winning with multiple characters, not just Jax.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
This is a very accurate chart, but where we might have issues with certain match up scores, the top three are all within 1 point of each other, so the Smoke vs Reptile match could be 5.5-4.5 to Reptile, which would drop him to joint 4th, and in turn Sonya could easily jump into 3rd with only one very little over looked fact in ANY of her match ups, so its all very tight up at the top, and giving my reasons, the top 5 is all very very arguable to say the least. We can discuss the 20-8th positions all we want, but the top 5 is seriously up for debate in this MUC if anything.

Take the Raiden CSZ match, I think the Raiden vs CSZ is not 5-5 in my or any other CSZ players opinion.

I would have it 6-4 in CSZ's favour, and if Raiden loses a single point, then he is joint third and not out in front first.

Truth

Noob
Tom Brady would have to be as good as CDjr, though, and I amsure TB would be the first to say that CDjr has been the better player in the newer versions of the game.
Maybe, I'm not sure about that. Tom has stated numerous times in KTP, as well as in conversations, stream chats, etc that sometimes when you are playing SZ your actual level of knowledge of the game and skill isn't always going to be highlighted in your play. I think it would be a disservice to Tom Brady as a competitor if you were to simply blame his level of skill for why that particular matchup is lopsided. At some point, it isn't always the player's fault, you got to look at the character as well.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Maybe, I'm not sure about that. Tom has stated numerous times in KTP, as well as in conversations, stream chats, etc that sometimes when you are playing SZ your actual level of knowledge of the game and skill isn't always going to be highlighted in your play. I think it would be a disservice to Tom Brady as a competitor if you were to simply blame his level of skill for why that particular matchup is lopsided. At some point, it isn't always the player's fault, you got to look at the character as well.
Jax does have an advantage over Sub-Zero but if you take two players of absolutely dead equal skill and play it out, it is not so lopsided as to be almost impossible for Sub-Zero to win, which a 3-7 matchup does suggest.

Truth

Noob
Jax does have an advantage over Sub-Zero but if you take two players of absolutely dead equal skill and play it out, it is not so lopsided as to be almost impossible for Sub-Zero to win, which a 3-7 matchup does suggest.
That is one of the problematic things about fighting games, how do you measure "skill"? Is it through majors, knowledge, experience,etc. I think it's best if we let Tom Brady and CD jr explain the matchup unless MITDJT brother tells us otherwise.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Also, there hasn't been one good Skarlet main-ing player exposed offline yet. Maybe one or two guys that dabbled with her, but no good representatives. Her placement has to be on theory as it couldn't possibly be on experience.

SZSR

Noob
3-7 does not suggest almost impossible. 3-7 means you'll have to rely heavily on reads and flawless execution to put up a fight vs. your own opponent who will have relative ease in the battle thanks to his own toolkit (safer moves, better damage, faster moves, etc.). But you won't be entirely destroyed in the fight if you know what your opponent can do (both the player and the character).

I.e., Pretty hard fight for you

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
It doesn't matter what any Baraka player has to say unfortunately. Until he makes a top 8 at any tournament, everyone's gonna think he's the worst, no matter how much matchup knowledge we have.
Sub-Zero made top 8 at EVERY tournament Brady brought him, and? Bottom 5 god dammit... This top 8 argument doesn't count anymore. Even if Jade got top 8 that wouldn't make her go 10 positions further.