What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Thoughts on these Sub-Zero Buffs? (Community feedback please?)

MK_Al

Noob
What did you expect
I expect adults to have their nerves under control and to debate with manners. If you can't appreciate SZs footsies then don't. Dispute what I or whoever says would be what this Forum is all about, but I understand that

you're not worth the effort
is the easy way out. But don't worry, we quite obviously don't share the same approach so it would be all kindergarden again after a few Posts.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
If you know that then don't use it on them?
That is the variations main combo ender, it's like telling Cage "don't use nut punch" the JC players are gonna look at you like your crazy. Honestly clone going away on block is annoying but I'd personally would be ok with it IF the clone timer reset after it went away on its own again. But he should have kept either or not lose both, or kept both. The EX Clone needs to be fixed and I'd personally like to see B12 be 0 to +2 on block. Mostly cause it's a universal string and would do wonders for all of his variations. Other than that he is fine for the most part, and ice parry NEEDS to parry jump ins, in fact all parrys NEED to parry jump ins. Considering how strong the air is in the game, it was foolish to take that out, I honestly don't know any modern FG where parrys don't parry jump ins except MKX. And the recovery from parry needs to be toned down. You know there is something wrong when batmans parry recovers faster than yours. And EX parry needs to be a true wake up, that or frost bomb needs to be a universal move.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So, the logic, that 50/50s aren't the only thing that make a character strong is retarded? Well, what can I say.
Except that wasn't the argument you were making at all. If you were to make the statement "not all characters need 50/50s to compete, just look at Kung Lao" you'd be right, but it would have absolutely no relevance to Sub Zero. He's got a completely different toolset, and the argument you made was that because Kung Lao doesn't need a 50/50 that SZ doesn't either, which is, absolutely retarded. No two ways here.

Are you trying to deny that SZ has great footsies? Just wow.
Huh? No, that's you deliberately Strawmanning my argument. I didn't say a single thing about footsies, look at what that is in response to, I'm saying that while everyone in here is capable of having a reasonable discussion, you have no logic, just anecdotes, lack of character knowledge, and unwillingness to accept when you are wrong, as the driving force behind your perspective.

You mean an having an argument about reaction times is better than to actually test them?
Test? You mean whatever score you decide to say you got, vs whatever score he decides to say he got? The point is that this is a retarded way to try prove your point, we know what human reaction speeds are on average its science.

Still dumb as a rock. Just leave this site, lurk more, hit the lab a bit, get your knowledge up, and come back with better arguments than "my friend outplays me all the time with SZ he is top 5 footsies", which considering basically the entirety of this site even SZ haters will admit he is not, strongly suggests to me that you are just bad, which is what I'm putting my money on here.

Endeavor

Re-reading over the OP, I missed the universal change somehow. B33 into iceball while midscreen is completely unnecessary. Sub Zero rarely needs meter for combos outside of this unless it's EX hammer in Cryomancer, so needing to spend a bar for a midscreen combo really isn't a big deal.
It's only kind of unnecessary, most characters and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong get to use their low starter meterless in the this game, so outside of the immediate backlash that going to ensue being "But GM is fucking stupid" what reason would him not being able to combo off of this meterless would be?

MK_Al

Noob
Except that wasn't the argument you were making at all. If you were to make the statement "not all characters need 50/50s to compete, just look at Kung Lao" you'd be right, but it would have absolutely no relevance to Sub Zero. He's got a completely different toolset, and the argument you made was that because Kung Lao doesn't need a 50/50 that SZ doesn't either, which is, absolutely retarded. No two ways here.

Huh? No, that's you deliberately Strawmanning my argument. I didn't say a single thing about footsies, look at what that is in response to, I'm saying that while everyone in here is capable of having a reasonable discussion, you have no logic, just anecdotes, lack of character knowledge, and unwillingness to accept when you are wrong, as the driving force behind your perspective.

Test? You mean whatever score you decide to say you got, vs whatever score he decides to say he got? The point is that this is a retarded way to try prove your point, we know what human reaction speeds are on average its science.

Still dumb as a rock. Just leave this site, lurk more, hit the lab a bit, get your knowledge up, and come back with better arguments than "my friend outplays me all the time with SZ he is top 5 footsies", which considering basically the entirety of this site even SZ haters will admit he is not, strongly suggests to me that you are just bad, which is what I'm putting my money on here.
Still insults, but at least a few arguments. You're improving, i like that.

Endeavor

There is one last thing, and I hope this threads gets closed after this cause the second you thought or even conceved the idea that sub might need a buff off any kind even if it's only for Unbreakable and Cryo the community instantly vomited more blood that radiz after tanking a special beam cannon to the stomach, FYI there was a LOT of blood coughing and things of that nature. The more we as Sub players ask for buffs, adjustments or fixs to the character the more likely we are to lose what we already have. So my advice to ALL of you is stay silent, and what ever happens nod your heads and let it be. Because any patch that goes by where we don't get touched is actually a large buff within itself. In fact I hope they keep making characters like pre-patch tanya cause it draws all attention away from Sub and that IS a GOOD thing. And lbsh we all know that least one of the DLC characters are gonna run the game or be top 3 and it's going to be an awful match up for sub. Do yourself a favor, do what I do, wait till that character reveals him/herself pick them up go ham and profit since the game as a whole doesn't reward you for thinking. Then when you feel like trying or want to go back to the strife that is footies and spacing and reads, go play sub. Don't ask for buff for Sub because everyone and I do mean EVERYONE is gonna tell you that hes actually really OP and needs nothing. So as I said before close this thread and hope that no one took it seriously cause I can assure you if they did all they read what we said and retained this "So what your saying is people still play this character.... That's a problem, it think it's high time Sub-Zero had an..."Accident". A tournament viable Sub-Zero, HA not in my fighting game."

Last edited:

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
I was not here when mk9 was fresh, but I've heard Sub was pretty decent in the beginning. Then he got nerfed, and Sub community said nothing. He got even more nerfed, and Sub community trusted it will all be balanced out in the end. And then it was too late, and he stayed pretty bad. - As I said, I just heard it from bunch of people I trust. So now, cry or not to cry - that is the question.

Btw, in OP these are only suggestions. More then half of them are pretty unnecessary, but some are on point.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
I was not here when mk9 was fresh, but I've heard Sub was pretty decent in the beginning. Then he got nerfed, and Sub community said nothing. He got even more nerfed, and Sub community trusted it will all be balanced out in the end. And then it was too late, and he stayed pretty bad. - As I said, I just heard it from bunch of people I trust. So now, cry or not to cry - that is the question.

Btw, in OP these are only suggestions. More then half of them are pretty unnecessary, but some are on point.
Some things i see people asking here are kinda nonsense but don't hesitate to cry. Kitana players still cry and they receive like 20 buffs per patch lol

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Some things i see people asking here are kinda nonsense but don't hesitate to cry. Kitana players still cry and they receive like 20 buffs per patch lol
That is true some of the things suggested are not really viable like f42 1+3 to be heavily plus on block, I personally don't think that is a good idea cuz it would be over powered. Having that ender be slightly plus or stay neutral would be way better.

BUT anything said in here is not set into stone, we're here to discuss and it's unavoidable that some of the suggestions will not be good.

Cryo has some tools that need more polish to them, the same with SZ as a whole.
SZ mains are in agreement that the character doesn't need dramatic buffs or fixes.

Give Cryo a lil bit more pressure, somebody suggested a hammer cancel and I'm liking that idea if done correctly, we are not asking for Cryo to be Hellfire 2.0.
Fix the interaction between SZ moves and character hitboxes, stuff whiffing and not coming out when it should, that stuff needs to go.
Unbreakable parry catches jumpins and the klone not allowing jabs to go through it without opponents getting frozen, ALL OF THIS will not make SZ S++++ tier it will only round him off.

It's people that don't main SZ or understand the character at the basic of levels that come in every SZ thread and post stupid shit how his tools are "top 5" and moan about SZ mains trying to suggest things that would round off the character THAT PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF!!!

Last edited:

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
GM doesn't need those buffs. Maybe ex clone staying out while blocking a move. The other variations I won't comment on because I really don't play them.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
That is the variations main combo ender, it's like telling Cage "don't use nut punch" the JC players are gonna look at you like your crazy. Honestly clone going away on block is annoying but I'd personally would be ok with it IF the clone timer reset after it went away on its own again. But he should have kept either or not lose both, or kept both. The EX Clone needs to be fixed and I'd personally like to see B12 be 0 to +2 on block. Mostly cause it's a universal string and would do wonders for all of his variations. Other than that he is fine for the most part, and ice parry NEEDS to parry jump ins, in fact all parrys NEED to parry jump ins. Considering how strong the air is in the game, it was foolish to take that out, I honestly don't know any modern FG where parrys don't parry jump ins except MKX. And the recovery from parry needs to be toned down. You know there is something wrong when batmans parry recovers faster than yours. And EX parry needs to be a true wake up, that or frost bomb needs to be a universal move.
The combo ender in cyro doesn't get punished tho, the OP was just spilling BS

Endeavor

The combo ender in cyro doesn't get punished tho, the OP was just spilling BS
Well that much is true it doesn't get punished, but if I use my string ender, why do I need to be in a mix up? I HIT YOU, not the other way around, honestly the string ender being like +5-8 on hit is not that bad. Just enough to eliminate back dashing and mashing, but not enough to to negate armor.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Well that much is true it doesn't get punished, but if I use my string ender, why do I need to be in a mix up? I HIT YOU, not the other way around, honestly the string ender being like +5-8 on hit is not that bad. Just enough to eliminate back dashing and mashing, but not enough to to negate armor.
your not in a mix up, your at neutral. you could make the case that it could be +3 like cassies regular nutpunch, but the idea that subzero is somehow at disadvantage by using the combo ender is false.

Endeavor

your not in a mix up, your at neutral. you could make the case that it could be +3 like cassies regular nutpunch, but the idea that subzero is somehow at disadvantage by using the combo ender is false.
It is indeed a mix up/mind game. A mix up by definition is a guess. If I end my string, and then I have to guess weather or not, your going to jump away, back dash, mash a faster poke, armor out of my incoming pressure due to the fact that I hit you, then I guess I don't what I'm talking about. Idk maybe that's just me but I don't think you should have that many options when I wasted my time to reset you standing. You know when you MB grab you have frame advantage, I'm not sure how much but I know that if you get reset by it you should be blocking or armoring. Why should it not be the same for my own standing reset. Even Cassie's regular nut punch she be the same as JCs I'm still at a loss for why you can backdash after she does it.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
It is indeed a mix up/mind game. A mix up by definition is a guess. If I end my string, and then I have to guess weather or not, your going to jump away, back dash, mash a faster poke, armor out of my incoming pressure due to the fact that I hit you, then I guess I don't what I'm talking about. Idk maybe that's just me but I don't think you should have that many options when I wasted my time to reset you standing. You know when you MB grab you have frame advantage, I'm not sure how much but I know that if you get reset by it you should be blocking or armoring. Why should it not be the same for my own standing reset. Even Cassie's regular nut punch she be the same as JCs I'm still at a loss for why you can backdash after she does it.
There are other benefits to a standing reset then frame advantage, as you've taken away your opponents option to wake up/delay wake up. The reason JC nut punch is as plus as it is is because he doesn't have a true low starter, he's a pressure character, so his nut punch provides enough advantage to continue his pressure. Your basically asking to not have to think after you standing reset someone. Fighting games are about knowing you and your opponents options, and conditioning them to behave how you want them too in certain situations.

Last edited:

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
@protools27 @Subzeeros I think both of you guys agree that the f42 grab ender being slightly plus wouldn't be an OP buff.
And that's as far as I'd go with that ender, being highly plus after it would be broken IMO.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
@protools27 @Subzeeros I think both of you guys agree that the f42 grab ender being slightly plus wouldn't be an OP buff.
And that's as far as I'd go with that ender, being highly plus after it would be broken IMO.
yea, I think something like +3 wouldn't be bad at all, but something like + 15 as the OP suggested is just dumb

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
The fact that it's not plus is fucking beneficial, makes it more likely for opponents try some dumb shit, and ain't nothing sticking vs our backdash. Also leaves us in perfect range of B2, D4.

Let's stop trying to make Cryo brain dead. He doesn't need to be plus, let's just fix his nuetral. Hammer is too damn risky and it's all he's got make up for lack of Clone.

Last edited:

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
@I GOT HANDS has a point, this reminds me of the Ice blast from mk9... that didn't have armor and you could use that to your advantage by playing some mindgames.

Samsara

Resident Cynic

This video is highly irreverent and speaks nothing of legitimate match footage or strategies, but, as an unapologetic Unbreakable downplayer I'd rather make a dramatic and whiny video and have it get a ton of clicks for awareness alone than be modest and say, 'I think he's fine mostly.' That being said. I think Unbreakable would need the following adjustments to not only be at parity with Subby's other two variations but also keep up with the absurdly high-octane offensive madhouse that is MKX.

Ice Shield Recovery frames reduced- This move cannot safely nullify projectiles as it was advertised to do. The moment you absorb one you are stuck in horrendous recovery to either get hit by another one or have your opponent run in on you. The move should still be punishable enough on whiff, as any parry, should be, but right now one incorrect read gets you billed half way across the stage and with 40% less health. I don't think that's a welcome trade-off considering 26% is going to be your strongest reward for doing so. Right now this move is best suited for punishing string gaps---- and that's if you have the meter required and know what they all are.

Ice Shield absorbed projectiles grant Subby a nominal amount of meter- if our opponent is going to be gaining meter on a projectile we absorb with the shield, we should at least gain an equivalent of amount of meter for doing so.

Ice Aura/Ex Aura- Subby gains a small amount of meter while blocking attacks with Ice Aura active/Subby gains a larger amount of meter for blocking attacks while Ex Aura is active

Finally give Subby an Anti-Air:

Either A- Give him his ice burst/bomb on db1 and switch Ice Aura to dd3 OR B- Ice Sheild Parries Jump-ins. Not both.

Luxury/Probably Won't Happen or Isn't Needed Buff:

Buff slide damage while Ice Aura is active by 2%

That's it guys. I know the video is silly, but I hope my buff proposals aren't too hard to swallow.

Endeavor

There are other benefits to a standing reset then frame advantage, as you've taken away your opponents option to wake up/delay wake up. The reason JC nut punch is as plus as it is is because he doesn't have a true low starter, he's a pressure character, so his nut punch provides enough advantage to continue his pressure. Your basically asking to not have to think after you standing reset someone. Fighting games are about knowing you and your opponents options, and conditioning them to behave how you want them too in certain situations.
But THAT is the point of Cryomancer, to pressure and get damage. That is supposed to be his aggressive rush down variation. Why give us the ender if it means nothing, yes we take away out opponents wake up option but it not like they are in a position to have to respect out next option while we ourselves are in a position to have to respect their next option. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a why out, I think you should be able to armor out but if I reset you standing, you shouldn't have 4 different and completely viable options out of said situations. I'm not asking to not have to think, I'm asking for you not to be able toget away for free when you get hit.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
But THAT is the point of Cryomancer, to pressure and get damage. That is supposed to be his aggressive rush down variation. Why give us the ender if it means nothing, yes we take away out opponents wake up option but it not like they are in a position to have to respect out next option while we ourselves are in a position to have to respect their next option. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a why out, I think you should be able to armor out but if I reset you standing, you shouldn't have 4 different and completely viable options out of said situations. I'm not asking to not have to think, I'm asking for you not to be able toget away for free when you get hit.
If you were going to make the ender have more advantage, I think the damage should be scaled, you already nullified their wake-up potential but I think it's fair for them to have options if they just ate 40% (granted off a risky launcher). Not a huge amount, but I think if the move were to grant +5 or +6 frames of advantage than his BNB damage with that ender should probably fall 2-4%. What I have a problem with is Subby's Air Hammer, the move is useless, but in the corner it restands the opponent. That move should be plus because if it's only implementation is as a combo ender in the corner, we should be rewarded for our trouble.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
it's not like they are in a position to have to respect out next option while we ourselves are in a position to have to respect their next option.
That's where you are wrong. You are at NEUTRAL. Both characters have to respect each other. Implying that sub zero is somehow in a bad position after doing a standing reset on an opponent is nonsense. Sorry you actually have to think about what you opponent may do next, and punish them accordingly

Last edited:

This video is highly irreverent and speaks nothing of legitimate match footage or strategies, but, as an unapologetic Unbreakable downplayer I'd rather make a dramatic and whiny video and have it get a ton of clicks for awareness alone than be modest and say, 'I think he's fine mostly.' That being said. I think Unbreakable would need the following adjustments to not only be at parity with Subby's other two variations but also keep up with the absurdly high-octane offensive madhouse that is MKX.

Ice Shield Recovery frames reduced- This move cannot safely nullify projectiles as it was advertised to do. The moment you absorb one you are stuck in horrendous recovery to either get hit by another one or have your opponent run in on you. The move should still be punishable enough on whiff, as any parry, should be, but right now one incorrect read gets you billed half way across the stage and with 40% less health. I don't think that's a welcome trade-off considering 26% is going to be your strongest reward for doing so. Right now this move is best suited for punishing string gaps---- and that's if you have the meter required and know what they all are.

Ice Shield absorbed projectiles grant Subby a nominal amount of meter- if our opponent is going to be gaining meter on a projectile we absorb with the shield, we should at least gain an equivalent of amount of meter for doing so.

Ice Aura/Ex Aura- Subby gains a small amount of meter while blocking attacks with Ice Aura active/Subby gains a larger amount of meter for blocking attacks while Ex Aura is active

Finally give Subby an Anti-Air:

Either A- Give him his ice burst/bomb on db1 and switch Ice Aura to dd3 OR B- Ice Sheild Parries Jump-ins. Not both.

Luxury/Probably Won't Happen or Isn't Needed Buff:

Buff slide damage while Ice Aura is active by 2%

That's it guys. I know the video is silly, but I hope my buff proposals aren't too hard to swallow.
He doesn't need to parry jump ins, just needs the ex db1 launcher in this variation.

Unbreakable needs:
1. Ex Ice Bust special.
2. Parry recovers instantly after parrying a projectile.
3. Better cancel adv on Ice Aura off of most strings and attacks.