What's new

Those Quotes We All Wish We Could Take Back -- The Forgiveness Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
(This post was made post CEO 2013, in reference to Scorpion potentially winning EVO).

Of course, J3 and tele didn't end up winning the tournament, and thankfully the game was allowed to live thanks to the electric excitement and magical balance of F23 :DOGE
All I have to say is, "thank you Ed Boon". Ed heard the people's voice :)

P.S. There's only 1 time in the history of Injustice and MK9 that 3 week-1 mains of a character made Top 8 at one of the FGC's biggest majors. @coolwhip 150 points if you can solve the riddle :DOGE

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
I know that's not what this thread is about, but I really want to give props to GGA Dizzy (shocking, I know) for being a level headed, smart individual. In the thread linked above by @Jim, the one discussing potentially banning Scorpion, here is what Dizzy said:

"I disagree the immediate ban opinions. Again, this is like the 4th time i've posted about it, so forgive me if I repeat myself from other threads.

After fighting Scorp, the members of this podcast say that he "breaks the mechanics of the game", wasn't properly designed, and what not. Well, I have been thinking this about many things in the game, before Scorp ever even came out. Rooftop Metropolis, Vortex chars, slow walk speed, bad AA mostly, 50/50 stage select, lots of things. These things don't reward any "fundamentals" and are "scrubby", as as Scorp. I feel like Scorp is just another dumb thing added to the game, and to tack him onto the list.

Plenty of players were quitting before Scorpion because of things like this. Unfortunately, that is just the game. Who are we to cherry pick what we deem doesn't go with the design of the game? I thought the design that everyone loved was "the dirt" and everyone had their stuff. Scorp is the straw that broke the camels back? I don't feel like that at all. There are plenty of MUs where I cannot push a button because I'm utterly dominated. That is the game we play and Scorp is just another one of these top chars.

If we ban Scorp because, we as a community, feel like he "doesn't belong" is extremely misguided. I feel like the game would be much better with Interactables disabled, and several things changed, but that just is not the game we play. I can't say "this game would be good if all these top chars got toned down, walk speed was buffed, etc" when this is not the game and probably never will be. People will leave the game regardless. If he's patched, hes patched and thats how it goes.

Pre-emptively banning something that isn't literally broken (Freddy being projectile immune sometimes, in MK9 for example) is never good. All the famous and much quoted bans happened after it was proven they needed to be banned."

The guy barely played Injustice seriously and yet still understood some of the bullshit the vanilla version had, and was the first to recognize how broken some characters/stages were, meanwhile barely anyone was talking about Black Adam, Superman and Aquaman.

We all ask you for forgiveness sir Donkey Disk.

coolwhip

Noob
All I have to say is, "thank you Ed Boon". Ed heard the people's voice :)

P.S. There's only 1 time in the history of Injustice that 3 week-1 mains of a character made Top 8 at one of the biggest majors. @coolwhip 150 points if you can solve the riddle.
I feel you purposely didn't mention owing apology for the "statements we could take back" in fear of this backfiring :DOGE

"Low mid tier" is more accurate than "still top 5, guys" or "nothing really changed" or "low gunshots nerf is no big deal, Dave".

In my "Deathstroke = Kano 2.0" thread, I voted and predicted that Deathstroke would be a mid tier character. I was right.

@ Deathstroke community... apologize to me.
when did I say he is still top 5? smh lol. I said he could be at the last spot for top ten or just outside it at like 11 or 12. I have nothing to apologize for :p. Also low-mid tier is no where near accurate.

Reactions: TKB

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I feel you purposely didn't mention owing apology for the "statements we could take back" in fear of this backfiring :DOGE
No apology owed; I didn't declare or predict that he would win. Only that if one did, it'd be a major issue. However, if I had pre-proclaimed a winner I would indeed wholeheartedly apologize.

Let's be real though -- the statement still rings true. If f3 and tele had won CEO, we'd never hear the end of it and Eventhubs would have had a field day.

coolwhip

Noob
No apology owed; I didn't declare or predict that he would win. Only that if one did, it'd be a major issue. However, if I had pre-proclaimed a winner I would indeed wholeheartedly apologize.

Let's be real though -- the statement still rings true. If f3 and tele had won CEO, we wouldn't have heard the end of it until the patch.
Honestly, EVO 2013 was kind of a disaster (excitement wise) and the game survived. I don't think a single outcome (or two) would have really killed the game, be it Scorpion winning or otherwise. Though I do think the game struggled to recover from EVO until after the patch, so your line of reasoning wasn't completely faulty, it was just too narrow (ie focusing on one character while ignoring other, potentially more problematic ones).

Regardless, I was just being a dick.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Honestly, EVO 2013 was kind of a disaster (excitement wise) and the game survived. I don't think a single outcome (or two) would have really killed the game, be it Scorpion winning or otherwise. Though I do think the game struggled to recover from EVO until after the patch, so your line of reasoning wasn't completely faulty, it was just too narrow (ie focusing on one character while ignoring other, potentially more problematic one).

Don't get me wrong though; I do have a couple of quotes I need to ask for forgiveness for: although I made good calls on most of the IGAU early character assessments, there was one that I missed:

CrimsonShadow said:
Hey Showtime, when I played at PAX I noticed that a lot of Aquaman's moveset is pretty punishable up close; also the startup frames on some of his attacks are very noticeable and easy to react to. He is def. strong from a distance, but it didn't feel unbalanced and it seemed like a fair fight.
(April 8th, 2013 -- In fairness, I only had a few minutes to evaluate the character and no access to Practice Mode. But I'm still on blast).

Honestly, EVO 2013 was kind of a disaster (excitement wise) and the game survived. I don't think a single outcome (or two) would have really killed the game, be it Scorpion winning or otherwise. Though I do think the game struggled to recover from EVO until after the patch, so your line of reasoning wasn't completely faulty, it was just too narrow (ie focusing on one character while ignoring other, potentially more problematic one).

I remember talking about that, I said something like this "what about superman, black adam, aquaman, batgirl, MMH, and etc. who are all very strong characters.
I know that's not what this thread is about, but I really want to give props to GGA Dizzy (shocking, I know) for being a level headed, smart individual. In the thread linked above by @Jim, the one discussing potentially banning Scorpion, here is what Dizzy said:

"I disagree the immediate ban opinions. Again, this is like the 4th time i've posted about it, so forgive me if I repeat myself from other threads.

After fighting Scorp, the members of this podcast say that he "breaks the mechanics of the game", wasn't properly designed, and what not. Well, I have been thinking this about many things in the game, before Scorp ever even came out. Rooftop Metropolis, Vortex chars, slow walk speed, bad AA mostly, 50/50 stage select, lots of things. These things don't reward any "fundamentals" and are "scrubby", as as Scorp. I feel like Scorp is just another dumb thing added to the game, and to tack him onto the list.

Plenty of players were quitting before Scorpion because of things like this. Unfortunately, that is just the game. Who are we to cherry pick what we deem doesn't go with the design of the game? I thought the design that everyone loved was "the dirt" and everyone had their stuff. Scorp is the straw that broke the camels back? I don't feel like that at all. There are plenty of MUs where I cannot push a button because I'm utterly dominated. That is the game we play and Scorp is just another one of these top chars.

If we ban Scorp because, we as a community, feel like he "doesn't belong" is extremely misguided. I feel like the game would be much better with Interactables disabled, and several things changed, but that just is not the game we play. I can't say "this game would be good if all these top chars got toned down, walk speed was buffed, etc" when this is not the game and probably never will be. People will leave the game regardless. If he's patched, hes patched and thats how it goes.

Pre-emptively banning something that isn't literally broken (Freddy being projectile immune sometimes, in MK9 for example) is never good. All the famous and much quoted bans happened after it was proven they needed to be banned."

The guy barely played Injustice seriously and yet still understood some of the bullshit the vanilla version had, and was the first to recognize how broken some characters/stages were, meanwhile barely anyone was talking about Black Adam, Superman and Aquaman.

We all ask you for forgiveness sir Donkey Disk.
I was always on the side Dizzy was, thinks about things analytically and critically.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
"it's not even a 50/50 versus Scorpion in a neutral situation.

-What if he spears you while you're walking forward?
-What if he hellfires you if you try to duck the spear and the teleport?
-What if he teleports if you want to read a spear, putting you in a vortex situation?
-What if he does an instant jumping 1 (which has retarded active frames) while you want to dash forward on him to avoid a spear or a meterburn teleport?
-What if he just says fuck Injustice and J3s you death?
-What if he does a jumping normal into a standing normal and you were anticipating a jump normal to teleport? What about vice versa?
-What if he does nothing at all when he jumps in and catches you with a throw?
These are all things I have to respect when versing average Scorpion players. I genuinely fear playing Reo's or PL's Scorpion.

Shieeeeet at least with Batgirl, her game relies on a rock solid 50/50 in neutral situations, in spite of her retarded repeating vortex. Beating her relies on you playing smart (at least with Superman).

And then after ALL this, NRS still has the nerve to give Scorpion his vortex on his BnBs

NRS, I respect you as a development team for delivering two great fighting games that I PERSONALLY enjoy very much. But I ask you this question, personally, who the fuck gave the okay on this character after testing "
-Theo

The last line coming from a prepatch superman main is too good

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I will forgive @AL Eevee for his insolence if he admits that Harley-Joker is 4-6.

Wait, you think Joker beats Harley?

EDIT: Please tell me you're on XBL. I am more than willing to go back to Fromundaman's house, play you, and record the matches. Hell, I'll play @Amplified$hotz as well ( no hate towards you, you just use Joker and you're on my friends list <3 ).
I instead subbed in @EMP Dark who, from what I hear, won their set 40-17.

5-5 my ass.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Deathstroke might be top 10. Seriously.
I am no longer going to argue why Deathstroke is not top 10. Only online scrubs believe that Deathstroke is still top 10 because they do not punish low gunshots on block.

Also, MIT has so much confidence in Deathstroke being top 10 that he was afraid to fight my Zod with Deathstroke in Las Vegas. He knew he was not going to be able to beat me in a series.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I am no longer going to argue why Deathstroke is not top 10. Only online scrubs believe that Deathstroke is still top 10 because they do not punish low gunshots on block.

Also, MIT has so much confidence in Deathstroke being top 10 that he was afraid to fight my Zod with Deathstroke in Las Vegas. He knew he was not going to be able to beat me in a series.
Only online scrubs? @Slips

hold on a second, I haven't even learned that matchup yet as I dnt have a zod player to regularly play. But if you really want to play that matchup with me, I can get help from Pig of the Hut in teaching me things about the matchup and we can play evo 2015 after mkx is done. I'm never scared of a challenge from anyone, there is no one I can't beat.

hold on a second, I haven't even learned that matchup yet as I dnt have a zod player to regularly play. But if you really want to play that matchup with me, I can get help from Pig of the Hut in teaching me things about the matchup and we can play evo 2015 after mkx is done. I'm never scared of a challenge from anyone, there is no one I can't beat.
Serious: this exhibition would make a hell of a bookend to the story of Injustice.