What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

I thought we saw some good Lobo representation at NEC?
Hawkgirl won NEC. Evil Ryu won Capcom Cup's AE tournament. Does that mean those characters are good? The players took those characters that far and outplayed people everyone considered the favorites to win their respective tournaments. Lobo is outshined by a lot of the cast when it comes to a lot of things in this game. The only thing he has over everyone at this particular moment, is his ability to deal a lot of damage. Lobo's main source of offense is basically trying to get a read on your opponent while using unsafe moves/tactics. He can make himself safe, but at the cost of a bar. And Lobo isn't spending the majority of the game zoning you out; he's spending time getting in on the opponent, meaning he's heavily meter reliant. A meter-reliant character that also relies on unsafe guesses in offense, no matter the reward when the player guesses right, isn't a strong character in a competitive setting. At least, that's my take on Lobo's standing.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Chaosphere
a character can receive a large amount of buffs and still be outclassed by a large majority of the cast. Yoshimitsu from SFxT is a good comparison. Yoshimitsu was, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the worst characters in the game. Then SFxT 2013 came along and he went from "bottom of the barrel" to "viable character". However, there were still characters that made him irrelevant in high level play, like Chun-Li, Hwoarang and Nina. Lobo is more or less in the same boat as him.
Dammit, Cage. I run with Yoshi and Bryan in SFxT... Stop making sense!!

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Hawkgirl won NEC. Evil Ryu won Capcom Cup's AE tournament. Does that mean those characters are good? The players took those characters that far and outplayed people everyone considered the favorites to win their respective tournaments. Lobo is outshined by a lot of the cast when it comes to a lot of things in this game. The only thing he has over everyone at this particular moment, is his ability to deal a lot of damage. Lobo's main source of offense is basically trying to get a read on your opponent while using unsafe moves/tactics. He can make himself safe, but at the cost of a bar. And Lobo isn't spending the majority of the game zoning you out; he's spending time getting in on the opponent, meaning he's heavily meter reliant. A meter-reliant character that also relies on unsafe guesses in offense, no matter the reward when the player guesses right, isn't a strong character in a competitive setting. At least, that's my take on Lobo's standing.
How exactly is Hawkgirl bad when almost everything she does is completely safe? Also, Evil Ryu can kill a majority of the cast with 2 touches. His only downside is low health, which is getting buffed in Ultra.

How exactly is Hawkgirl bad when almost everything she does is completely safe? Also, Evil Ryu can kill a majority of the cast with 2 touches. His only downside is low health, which is getting buffed in Ultra.
Hawkgirl is easy to deal with. She has little mix-up potential and a meh zoning game. She's plus on a lot of stuff, but you just have to block her shit, lame it out and make her come to you. As for evil ryu, him killing the opponent in two touches doesn't mean much in the current state of the game when everyone viable can theoretically set up an unblockable situation and kill the opponent just as fast as he does. He's getting buffed in Ultra, but I was referring to his AE ver 13 iteration, the one Sako used to win Capcom Cup with. Also, if his only downside was his health, then why has it taken it this long for him to win something? Seth has even lower health and stun than him, yet he's a much more prominent character because of his setups and mix-up game, something E ryu either doesn't have or its not as strong as Seth's. The characters I brought up have won events, but are still outshined by a good portion of the cast.

Dammit, Cage. I run with Yoshi and Bryan in SFxT... Stop making sense!!
Lmao. I still cherish cross tekken, so I love making comparisons to it whenever I can. I used to rock Rolento/Ogre lol.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Hawkgirl is easy to deal with. She has little mix-up potential and a meh zoning game. She's plus on a lot of stuff, but you just have to block her shit, lame it out and make her come to you. As for evil ryu, him killing the opponent in two touches doesn't mean much in the current state of the game when everyone viable can theoretically set up an unblockable situation and kill the opponent just as fast as he does. He's getting buffed in Ultra, but I was referring to his AE ver 13 iteration, the one Sako used to win Capcom Cup with. Also, if his only downside was his health, then why has it taken it this long for him to win something? Seth has even lower health and stun than him, yet he's a much more prominent character because of his setups and mix-up game, something E ryu either doesn't have or its not as strong as Seth's. The characters I brought up have won events, but are still outshined by a good portion of the cast.
Sako has won Japanese events with Evil Ryu; they just don't get as much publicity over here. Seth has fallen off in the last year. OnlineTony was doing his thing at WNF, but Poongko's performance has dropped off at majors(save EVO), because the gimmicks are getting figured out. Not saying Seth is easy to deal with now, just not as ridiculous as 2011-2012. To redirect this to Injustice, from what I've seen from Fil Pops and Maxter, Lobo could be a serious problem in the future if someone masters the character to his full potential. I think you downplay him way too much.

from what I've seen from Fil Pops and Maxter, Lobo could be a serious problem in the future if someone masters the character to his full potential. I think you downplay him way too much.
If I'm downplaying, please tell me how I could be wrong about the character. Where does Lobo excel at, besides dealing high damage, and allows him to be on par with the better characters of the game? Which of the bad matchups did I list are actually in Lobo's favor?

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
If I'm downplaying, please tell me how I could be wrong about the character. Where does Lobo excel at, besides dealing high damage, and allows him to be on par with the better characters of the game? Which of the bad matchups did I list are actually in Lobo's favor?
I'm speaking in general. If Lobo has the life lead, it's his game to lose. He can hold back the entire time and force the opponent to come to him while sitting on a 26% midscreen shotgun blast. You made it seem like he always has to chase the opponent down to deal damage.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I'm speaking in general. If Lobo has the life lead, it's his game to lose. He can hold back the entire time and force the opponent to come to him while sitting on a 26% midscreen shotgun blast. You made it seem like he always has to chase the opponent down to deal damage.
I have really got to learn to do this whenever applicable. The worst thing the opponent can do is "Come at Lobo, Bro!" Nuked midshot makes a lot of players antsy, which makes them run ME down at different points in the match. It stops them from doing stuff and some players don't like not hitting buttons. 3 to Space Hook is my go-to reactive response to dash in attempts.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
Lobo is 7 feet tall in the comics...why isn't he as big as Bane and is the same size as Batman?
I believe you are miss informed lobo is usually billed as 6"4 -6"6 infact if you read the last czarnian they do a psychiatric test on him where it specifically states his height as 6"4. I'm afraid someone's gonna have told that and its defiantly not gonna be me.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
Hawkgirl is easy to deal with. you just have to block her shit,l.
Wow great quote I never thought of tht I guess thts all this game comes down to ill have to try tht against black adam too.

Im Super tired of hearing this ass downplay there is no reason lobo has seven threes against batman and flash if you think all lobo has is damage you don't know jack. and how dare you go around saying no one at NEC knows the matchup. Even though it might be true its taking away from a great player, maxter.

The reason I havent posted as much is because this shit. FEETALS' GIZZZ ITS SO ANNOYING

Thanks Jade's Pimp for the props the first time besides Maxter and the GGA/Chicago guys I've ever recived them from the comunity.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I don't see any argument in "Just because these 2 characters won majors doesn't mean they are viable."

Lobo is shown as a lower tier character in foreverking's tier list, and I think I understand why. He has some of the harder execution in the game, which is why I don't think there's really been a lot of Lobo representation. Maxter is the only Lobo we've seen actually making something since the patch came out. (correct me if im wrong.)

thatgoon24

Morphio24
Wow great quote I never thought of tht I guess thts all this game comes down to ill have to try tht against black adam too.

Im Super tired of hearing this ass downplay there is no reason lobo has seven threes against batman and flash if you think all lobo has is damage you don't know jack. and how dare you go around saying no one at NEC knows the matchup. Even though it might be true its taking away from a great player, maxter.

The reason I havent posted as much is because this shit. FEETALS' GIZZZ ITS SO ANNOYING

Thanks Jade's Pimp for the props the first time besides Maxter and the GGA/Chicago guys I've ever recived them from the comunity.
You took cage's words completely out of context. Here is the actual quote people. "Hawkgirl is easy to deal with. She has little mix-up potential and a meh zoning game. She's plus on a lot of stuff, but you just have to block her shit, lame it out and make her come to you."

"The only thing he has over everyone at this particular moment, is his ability to deal a lot of damage. Lobo's main source of offense is basically trying to get a read on your opponent while using unsafe moves/tactics. He can make himself safe, but at the cost of a bar. And Lobo isn't spending the majority of the game zoning you out; he's spending time getting in on the opponent, meaning he's heavily meter reliant. A meter-reliant character that also relies on unsafe guesses in offense, no matter the reward when the player guesses right, isn't a strong character in a competitive setting. At least, that's my take on Lobo's standing."

Which part of this is downplaying and which is just plain truth? Lobo uses unsafe moves, very true. Hook Charge, Low hook, Space hook, Low and Mid pump shot all unsafe. If you want safe you have to spend a bar. Lobo is spending the majority of time getting in, also true. Play the harley, cyborg, superman, mmh, zod, raven, zatanna, ares, green lantern sinestro matchup. Lobo is meter-reliant. Everything he said is true. He isn't a downplayer just because he's not upplaying. Don't make it sound like Cage is dumb and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Im Super tired of hearing this ass downplay there is no reason lobo has seven threes against batman and flash if you think all lobo has is damage you don't know jack. and how dare you go around saying no one at NEC knows the matchup. Even though it might be true its taking a from a great player, maxter.

The reason I havent posted as much is because this shit.
I changed my batman vs lobo 7-3 back to a 5-5 after I realized I overreacted about the B3 thing. Flash could potentially be a 4-6 match-up, so I won't argue with the fact that I may be overreacting about that as well. I never said Lobo only has damage, I said that the only area that no one can outshine him in is in the damage-dealing department. Everyone has a better mix-up game than him and better zoning than him. He has those traits, but there are characters that can do it better than Lobo, like Sinestro or Frost. If I said otherwise, direct me to the post where I say so.

Also, I've never once taken away from Maxter's progress at NEC, nor have I said that he beat everyone because no one knew the matchup. I've only joked about that to, like, 3 people. I'm glad someone was able to do that well with the character. I hoped more people would see Maxter's play and try to take Lobo to tournaments like he did and do well like he did. The only thing I've ever said about Maxter's Lobo is that he still has a lot of stuff to learn. That he wasn't using stuff like raw czar tosses or any tick throws, or that he was jump 1-ing a lot. Minor things I observed from the stream, nothing more, nothing less. Maxter could be one of the best Lobo's out there right now, and he'll be even better once his Lobo is more fleshed out.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I think Hawgirl is pretty good, but it's more of PPJ being a really good player. You are right tho, I notice Lobo has to sacrifice a lot to get in. Against Catwoman it seems like a hell match up.

thatgoon24

Morphio24
I think Hawgirl is pretty good, but it's more of PPJ being a really good player. You are right tho, I notice Lobo has to sacrifice a lot to get in. Against Catwoman it seems like a hell match up.
Its more of PPJ using 2 other characters alongside Hawkgirl as well. No, Catwoman is the one getting in on Lobo. Go play the Green Lantern matchup and you will know exactly what Cage is talking about.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
I changed my batman vs lobo 7-3 back to a 5-5 after I realized I overreacted about the B3 thing. Flash could potentially be a 4-6 match-up, so I won't argue with the fact that I may be overreacting about that as well. I never said Lobo only has damage, I said that the only area that no one can outshine him in is in the damage-dealing department. Everyone has a better mix-up game than him and better zoning than him. He has those traits, but there are characters that can do it better than Lobo, like Sinestro or Frost. If I said otherwise, direct me to the post where I say so.

Also, I've never once taken away from Maxter's progress at NEC, nor have I said that he beat everyone because no one knew the matchup. I've only joked about that to, like, 3 people. I'm glad someone was able to do that well with the character. I hoped more people would see Maxter's play and try to take Lobo to tournaments like he did and do well like he did. The only thing I've ever said about Maxter's Lobo is that he still has a lot of stuff to learn. That he wasn't using stuff like raw czar tosses or any tick throws, or that he was jump 1-ing a lot. Minor things I observed from the stream, nothing more, nothing less. Maxter could be one of the best Lobo's out there right now, and he'll be even better once his Lobo is more fleshed out.
Of course other character are better zonners but what no one sees is after the hella damage , having more then decent zoning good space tools frame traps and mixs up make a good character that as Jade's Pimp was saing having the option to go lame with a big life lead desroys characters and being able to change your play style just like GGA pimpimjim in the middle of the fight throws a lot of players off. But whatever I guess I just don't know

Last edited:

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Of caurse other character hare better zonners but what no one sees is after the hella damage , having more then decent zone good space tools frame traps and mixs up make a good character that as Jade's Pimps Pimp was saing having the option to go lame with a big life lead desroys character and being able to chang your play style just like GGA pimpimjim does with hawkgirl is so hard to deal with.

As for maxter stuff you were saying n
I think his strength lies in his versatility: there are many different ways to play him. Tick throws from block strings keep the opponent paranoid: They can't just sit and block. If they are rush oriented, 3 and his follow ups serve very well to keep them at bay. Provided he can trait properly, he can pseudo zone most characters with slow traveling projectiles. No one wants to eat 11-13% on a trade off. I think his oki game is unparalleled. He isn't master of any particular style, but he is jack of a good many styles.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Its more of PPJ using 2 other characters alongside Hawkgirl as well. No, Catwoman is the one getting in on Lobo. Go play the Green Lantern matchup and you will know exactly what Cage is talking about.
I already know about Lantern's BS maining Nightwing.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
You can end combos with a free reload and end block strings with trait low shot which is at least +1. If it hits, free combo. If blocked, then you're setting up a mixup for command grab next time you do a blocked string.

Last edited:

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
You can end combos with a free reload and end block strings with trait low shot which is at least +1. If it hits, free combo. If blocked, then you're setting up a mixup for command grab next time yoi do a blocked string.
Safe (preferably frame advantaged) Pressure. If we can get that ingrained, especially from our tick throw strings...

GGA Fill Pops GGA 16 Bit

This isn't to debate with you guys or anything, but I've heard from you two that Batman can't wake-up with Slide because Lobo can punish with wake-up Hook Charge, meaning Batman can basically never wake-up against Lobo. I've tested this, and Batman is blocking every time. Am I doing something wrong here, or was the Batman player not blocking after wake-up slide or what? If you can, post a video of Lobo punishing slide in some way.

If I somehow misconstrued your words about Batman's wake-up game vs Lobo, then I apologize in advance.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
GGA Fill pops GGA 16 Bit

This isn't to debate with you guys or anything, but I've heard from you two that Batman can't wake-up with Slide because Lobo can punish with wake-up Hook Charge, meaning Batman can basically never wake-up against Lobo. I've tested this, and Batman is blocking every time. Am I doing something wrong here, or was the Batman player not blocking after wake-up slide or what? If you can, post a video of Lobo punishing slide in some way.

If I somehow misconstrued your words about Batman's wake-up game vs Lobo, then I apologize in advance.
He dosnt punish wake up slide with charge you punish with naked toss but If he decides to slide after you knock him down with a charge you can do an amediate toss and the only thing he can do is wake up slide which is in your favor cuz if he hits you with it you can wake up charge for free since he's negative on hit if the charge hits again your back in the fifty fifty if he blocks it then your at advantage if mb.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
He dosnt punish wake up slide with charge you punish with naked toss but If he decides to slide after you knock him down with a charge you can do an amediate toss and the only thing he can do is wake up slide which is in your favor cuz if he hits you with it you can wake up charge for free since he's negative on hit if the charge hits again your back in the fifty fifty if he blocks it then your at advantage if mb.

Couldn't batman just nj2 every time after slide? The risk reward is shit for lobo. If he nj2 then command throw is punished, if lobo does hook charge then batman eats 9%. I don't see any reason for batman to not nj2. This sounds like a pretty shitty 50/50. And on the off chance that batman does block hook charge, you're dead too.