What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I actually rush down in this game more than I ever have in any other. The game obviously favors rush down gameplay over traditional zoning.
Yeah, your rushdown was intense. I need to learn Kano's frame data because you were catching me in some pretty nasty block strings. I also have no idea what to do against that damn d4. It's like a brick wall that Jacqui can't get past. Her longest-reaching normal is that f12, but the d4 was totally beating that out every time. Even if I blocked it, my d3 was too short to punish and all of my other moves were too slow. The zoning was rough, but that rushdown was what was really blowing my mind. No idea how to approach that MU.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah, your rushdown was intense. I need to learn Kano's frame data because you were catching me in some pretty nasty block strings. I also have no idea what to do against that damn d4. It's like a brick wall that Jacqui can't get past. Her longest-reaching normal is that f12, but the d4 was totally beating that out every time. Even if I blocked it, my d3 was too short to punish and all of my other moves were too slow. The zoning was rough, but that rushdown was what was really blowing my mind. No idea how to approach that MU.
That version of d+4 is the best low poke in the game. 7F start up. Around -6 on block. +18 on hit. Lowers hitbox. Scorpion and Sub Zero have similar d+4s.

Last edited:

VOR

Noob
Who's putting in work as a primarily zoning Cyb Kano? I'm interested to see videos if anyone has links.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That version of d+4 is the best low poke in the game. 7F start up. Around -6 on block. +18 on hit. Lowers hitbox. Scorpion and Sub Zero have similar d+4s.
When you connect on a D4 what do you typically follow up with? Is it character dependent or do you have a preferred follow up option?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Peckapowa i wanna play u again, I think tech rolling cuts down on some of the bs traps I was caught in as well as I need to punish better

Give me some chances to work on the MU before jumping to conclusions

since his kano ball can be cancelled out, i wonder if it can be cancelled out in between strings for pressure mid string like kabals dash?

cyke_out

Noob
since his kano ball can be cancelled out, i wonder if it can be cancelled out in between strings for pressure mid string like kabals dash?
Yes it can but only the ex ball. It's mostly useful for commando cuz without that he wouldn't have any other way for reliable mid screen damage. Cut throat and cyber have more useful and easier ways to use a bar, and two bar combos aren't really practical.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Sooo I'm another one that didn't think I'd be working my way toward membership here. Proud Cyber Kano main. But will also be learning the other two variations as I think he'll need them. Dave is right. Rushdown will still be king.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
You're saying you want to out zone, out rush, and even anti zone when needed with one character- MMH was that character who was master of all trades jack of none and he was a bullshit character design. Kabal i guess also had this to a degree because he could EX dash through zoning, once against a bullshit character design.
i didnt really mean all of the above jsut at least one

M2Dave

Zoning Master
When you connect on a D4 what do you typically follow up with? Is it character dependent or do you have a preferred follow up option?
Walk d+4
Dash d+4
b+2
Dash b+2
Dash b+1
knife toss
EX knife toss
Dash throw

Be careful while dashing against characters with armored launchers. Players will mash them.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Walk d+4
Dash d+4
b+2
Dash b+2
Dash b+1
knife toss
EX knife toss
Dash throw

Be careful while dashing against characters with armored launchers. Players will mash them.
Ah ok thanks. I use a lot of those follow ups as well. Never thought of dashing forward with another D4, I'm gonna have to start mixing it in. When playing guys like Kung Jin I just try to dash forward after pokes as little as possible. I was getting blown up by his armored staff pop up.

I was using D3 more often in the beginning but now I've learned how good a tool D4 is. I'm on it now.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I recant my statements about Quan Chi, summoner is actually really good for zoning. You just got to get the thought processes down. Kinda un-intutive at first. (Normals still ass)

cyke_out

Noob
Hmmm... I don't f4 after d4. But you're right, a lot of folks d3/d4 bsck after they block my d4. This could low crush and lead into db1 for full combo.

Thanks!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@Pig Of The Hut

Explain your text.

What do you think is the problem with Kenshi in this game?

I will tell you that the current meta of the game is run, get a knock down, and do 50/50 mix ups. If you use a defensive character who cannot stop opponents from running, you cannot beat a high level player. For example, Quan Chi has very good zoning that would perhaps even be considered broken in a fighting game without a run. But when the opponent closes the gap and runs at mid range, he has to take huge risk because his normal attacks are mediocre. When he gets cornered, he is dead.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Pig Of The Hut

Explain your text.

What do you think is the problem with Kenshi in this game?

I will tell you that the current meta of the game is run, get a knock down, and do 50/50 mix ups. If you use a defensive character who cannot stop opponents from running, you cannot beat a high level player. For example, Quan Chi has very good zoning that would perhaps even be considered broken in a fighting game without a run. But when the opponent closes the gap and runs at mid range, he has to take huge risk because his normal attacks are mediocre. When he gets cornered, he is dead.
I'll do a write up soon on Kenshi forum

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Just picked up Stunt Double Johnny. Johnny's pressure is so weak in Mkx, you have to resort to his terrible excuse for zoning pretty often. I love how in this variation his fireballs go straight, because ya know if they arced his zoning would just be too godly! With the 6.5 second cooldown on his clones and all...
-______-"

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I recant my statements about Quan Chi, summoner is actually really good for zoning. You just got to get the thought processes down. Kinda un-intutive at first. (Normals still ass)
When Quan Chi gets knocked down in the corner, which will happen at least once during a fight, just put your controller down because you will never escape. Many characters can simply time a meaty attack as he is waking up and shut down all of his defensive options. You will block EX teleport in time and get a full combo punish.