What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

Whats ermac like as a zoner and how does he maintain space? Is he great in the mid range?
Precisely. In mk9 Ermac excelled mostly at mid range by keeping his opponents on their toes with his telekinetic push. Full screen, he became less dangerous.

Aktc4352

Noob
I'm new to the competitive fighting world, and I've watched many videos and I would like to enrol in the zoning academy. I will be using Kenshi in MKX and I would love some help in the training room. Also if anyone can point me in the right direction for a glossary for MKX terminology so I can be less confused when trying to read combos and tech that would be wonderful

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I have no sympathy for players that still say fireball zoning is the equivalent of mindless spam. Yeah, try saying that when the Guile you're playing as in SF4 is getting owned by a full-screen wall jump by El Fuerte.

I personally think the Injustice style of instant fireballs is just pure stupid, but I also think that instantly getting in and doing some herp a derp mixups ala SF4 is also lame. Especially in SF4, a large majority of the cast boils down to a close-range footsie and/or oki setup archetype.
Man, but the very reason people who know a thing or two say that is precisely because how most efficient zoning strategies in NRS games look.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I was gonna recommend summoner chi
I saw potential in Summoner/Sorceror Quan Chi but was turned off by a few things. Do you feel like his strengths will outweigh his weaknesses enough for him to be a strong character? I can deal with slow pokes or whatnot but some things are really bad.

For example, one of the things that really broke the back for me was his wake up options. I mean there's being free on wake up and then there's Quan Chi. His armored Sky Drop can easily be beaten by many of the cast (tested this a ton) and regular wake ups are easily stuffed now, so how exactly does he get up? The other zoners at least have a counter option. With the amount of pressure options in this game it feels like it'll be an unfavorable guessing game every single time he gets knockdown.

That among one or two other things. He gives me an "incredible strengths and incredible weaknesses" vibe. So when I saw your post I had to ask why you'd recommend him over some of the other options available.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I saw potential in Summoner/Sorceror Quan Chi but was turned off by a few things. Do you feel like his strengths will outweigh his weaknesses enough for him to be a strong character? I can deal with slow pokes or whatnot but some things are really bad.

For example, one of the things that really broke the back for me was his wake up options. I mean there's being free on wake up and then there's Quan Chi. His armored Sky Drop can easily be beaten by many of the cast (tested this a ton) and regular wake ups are easily stuffed now, so how exactly does he get up? The other zoners at least have a counter option. With the amount of pressure options in this game it feels like it'll be an unfavorable guessing game every single time he gets knockdown.

That among one or two other things. He gives me an "incredible strengths and incredible weaknesses" vibe. So when I saw your post I had to ask why you'd recommend him over some of the other options available.
Can u deal w him having a meterless vortex ???

@General M2Dave

haketh

Noob

As someone who came up playing NU-13, you're going to have to learn to block because it's the trade off for the zoning being so good. You're going to have to pick your spots when to press buttons on defense.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Can u deal w him having a meterless vortex ???

@General M2Dave
:eek: About to go experiment with him right now.

As someone who came up playing NU-13, you're going to have to learn to block because it's the trade off for the zoning being so good. You're going to have to pick your spots when to press buttons on defense.
I normally would agree with a statement like this, but in a game where so many characters have so many strong pressure tools, I can't. I'd prefer they have an option in the same way others can use their options for the opposing.

Unless the zoning is literally that good, as the rushdown/mixup game is, which I doubt it is but I hope I'm wrong, then I prefer tools rather than "block better than other characters that can throw the kitchen sink at you".

haketh

Noob
I normally would agree with a statement like this, but in a game where so many characters have so many strong pressure tools, I can't. I'd prefer they have an option in the same way others can use their options for the opposing.

Unless the zoning is literally that good, as the rushdown/mixup game is, which I doubt it is but I hope I'm wrong, then I prefer tools rather than "block better than other characters that can throw the kitchen sink at you".
Here's the thing, you're not entirely helpless. You have access to delay wake up, roll, & an invul backdash. More options zones in other games would kill for.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Here's the thing, you're not entirely helpless. You have access to delay wake up, roll, & an invul backdash. More options zones in other games would kill for.
True. I've been messing around with the backdash and it is a good option to blow people up in some situations. Adds to the layers of mind games for sure.

For me it depends on the power of the characters tools. If they're going to be Lacking in department A) and B), then they damn sure better be stronger than most in C) and D). If this ends up being the case as the game develops I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
For example, one of the things that really broke the back for me was his wake up options. I mean there's being free on wake up and then there's Quan Chi. His armored Sky Drop can easily be beaten by many of the cast (tested this a ton) /QUOTE]

Fill me in geezer.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Phosferrax

1) When you choose to reply as a smart ass rather than simply asking in a discussion forum, at least try to make sure you quote and respond to a post correctly so you don't look like an idiot.

2) Hit the lab and find out.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I may be late to the party here, but I plan on throwing sais, fans, and glaives by the bucketload.

Piercing and Royal Storm <3