What's new

The TYM Ultra-Mega Hitbox Thread

Nice pics! I got my HB modded from J&J too and it looks exactly the same... probably they are pics from my HB ;-) I guess they all will look the same.

Sasuga

Noob
Thing is for me, I've never used a Stick. At all, ever, where I was comfortable with it. I tried it once, and disliked it, I hate the feeling of my hand that I grip the Stick with feels extremely disconnected from my other hand.
I think pad-users may have an easier time making the switch to hitbox. Because the button layout is similar to that of a stick, but the buttons are smaller and much closer. Because of this i'm having trouble adapting to it. I'm used to the jump button, that doesn't need much adoptation. But those small buttons!

Been wanting to post a well written assessment of the Hit Box.

I've been playing with it, for about 2 days, for roughly 2 hours a night. I have to say, I do enjoy it. At first it was really confusing to grasp the concept of jumping being on the bottom, but I've now gotten used to it, I still fumble here and there. Same thing with the buttons I fumble here and there and forget where I had my hand placements. Or if my hand gets out of position for some reason, or if I have to move my hand around to do some a specific input, and my hand gets out of position, I my whole train of thought gets out of order, Lol. I have to fix that somehow, I guess I'm just going to have to play more.

I would say for me, the most difficult thing to do right now is, pokes into specials for MK9 and Enhanced Moves, it feels awkward. Precise things such as Kabals Nomad Dash Cancels are tough as shit. I can do them on pad way easier. Plus, sometimes I use a pad, and every time after extensive use of the Hit Box than going to pad, I feel like I'm way more fast and precise on a pad, it actually enhances my dexterity and quickness when going from Hit Box to Pad--weird.

The first night, the hand that I use the movement buttons with had my wrist sore, but now it's not a problem, I guess since I've adjusted to using it. The plexi sometimes, is annoying, it's semi sharp, and it bothers my right hand/thumb at times because my right thumb is usually on the 'Jump' button, kind of a mini rash.

Other than that, it's pretty cool. I'm going to try to master it, but still keep my pad skills sharp. Some motions to me are WAY easier on pad.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
You've been playing on pad for months, hitbox for hours. ofc it's going to be easier on pad for now. I'll never understand how you guys use right thumb for jump, just so foreign to me, but then again, my hitbox layout is spaced apart, not grouped like the retail layout. How do you have your buttons setup? Default? I would have it something like
FP Tag BP Stance
FK Blk BK Throw

With default, aren't the 4 attacks right next to each other? Too close imo.

Yeah the default layout is:

FP BP Grab Tag
FK BK BLK Stance

I just find it annoying to move my hand in awkward positions when I want to do an Enhance move. Like when I end 321 EXSlowball for Reptile, I hit block with my ring finger, and FP with my index, it's just weird, and way more tougher in the heat of the moment or mid-combo when you got to act quick.

Nomad Dash Cancels are actually, as of now, near impossible for me on HitBox, I do them on pad really good. Lol.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
With default, aren't the 4 attacks right next to each other? Too close imo.
I prefer that. I can control the 4 main attacks with my pointer and middle finger which are my two most dexterous fingers, but I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar stuff so that could just be me.

Goldi

Noob
I hated my hitbox for a long time, but I was stubborn and kept at. Now I can't do anything on a pad or regular controller.

Jumping was definately the strangest thing to get used to! Especially when Sonya's air drop turns into 4 button taps. It just didn't feel natural until recently.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Yeah the default layout is:

FP BP Grab Tag
FK BK BLK Stance

I just find it annoying to move my hand in awkward positions when I want to do an Enhance move. Like when I end 321 EXSlowball for Reptile, I hit block with my ring finger, and FP with my index, it's just weird, and way more tougher in the heat of the moment or mid-combo when you got to act quick.

Nomad Dash Cancels are actually, as of now, near impossible for me on HitBox, I do them on pad really good. Lol.
Try playing with different layouts and see which one you like best, then.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I prefer that. I can control the 4 main attacks with my pointer and middle finger which are my two most dexterous fingers, but I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar stuff so that could just be me.
That's why I went to a sticklers setup. I play guitar and piano as well as working IT where I type alot, so the HB was a very natural transition. Im still training with it, but damn do I like it

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
That's why I went to a sticklers setup. I play guitar and piano as well as working IT where I type alot, so the HB was a very natural transition. Im still training with it, but damn do I like it

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Haha we're on the exact same page then. Guitar, piano, and IT here as well.

Flagg

Noob
Mate, I bought a Qanba fightsick about a month ago, and coming from playing a pad for years, it feels strange using a stick (similiar to your Hitbox).

For instance, I can hit quarter circles, charge, dragon punches, etc, so, so easily on a pad, no matter which side of the screen im on. I can dash or walk and neutral jump or low poke on reaction. I find this stuff a little strange to do on my stick so far and always seem to hit diagonal up or down instead of straight up or down. The good thing about the fight stick is I LOVE the button layout. I've always been a fan of plinking/p-linking, even on pads, so on a fightstick it feels completely natural. I always wondered what a Hitbox would feel like to use.

Good luck and dont give up! It's easy to get frustrated and go back to the pad, but you have the hitbox now so percevere! I still bust out the pad now and again.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
My friend is going to do hopefully just one more test drill on some plywood. I'll post the Visio once I'm certain it feels right. :)

Looks like MK layout rotated and with an extra button? I thought about placing another button or two, but opted not to this time.
I have it tilted to where it's more comfortable. The extra button is flip stance, so I have a 2 button xray. I moved the jump button over a touch, you can see the old hole lol.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Wouldn't your left hand¿s index/middle finger hurt or feel incredibly awkward?

I like the idea, though :p
I'm used to WASD keys from pc games, so my middle finger always rested on the W while the index was always on the D, and I leave my keyboard at a tilt. That layout was designed specifically for where my hands rested naturally, so it's all good.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I'm used to WASD keys from pc games, so my middle finger always rested on the W while the index was always on the D, and I leave my keyboard at a tilt. That layout was designed specifically for where my hands rested naturally, so it's all good.
Yeah I'm a pc gamer too, but when I was building my HB I realized that my keyboard is always in front and on top, while a arcadestick is always in front and on my lap, thus making the fingers position be somewhat different. Iunno if it's a prob for you.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Yeah I'm a pc gamer too, but when I was building my HB I realized that my keyboard is always in front and on top, while a arcadestick is always in front and on my lap, thus making the fingers position be somewhat different. Iunno if it's a prob for you.
Not really. Arms seem to sit the same, just lower on the body. All personal preference, obv, which makes do-it-yourself that much better.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
I own 2 hitboxes made of metal I would use this just so I could have the cold metal not be so cold at winter instead have plastic :D