What's new

Guide - Kotal Kahn The post-patch B1 metagame

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
This thread highlights Kotal's best buff of this patch in my opinion. The b1 poke is faster and the hitbox of the b12 is noticeably bigger.

What is the best way to practice this b1 metagame? I tried going to the lab with BG Kotal and Reptile and set reptile to a slide reversal and I could only continue b1 after the 114df1 maybe only once out of every ten attempts. While I could blow up reptiles slide, the timing was VERY strict. Does anyone have any tips at all how practice this? I'm a noob in the lab :/
This is how I practiced getting the timing down myself. Even though it's strict, the rewards are much better for you in an offline match because of it. @Qwark28 , since I had a video of your awesome string already loaded... should I put it in here?

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
This is all fun and dandy until you play against a female and your 114 whiffs completely over the crouch blocking opponent...

They gotta fix that shit reeeeally soon.
I just ended up using b+1 loops until I felt like choking the girl. It's still great chip just from b+1,2,2 > EX Sunstone loops.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
so how does the loop usually go?

and is kotals pressure now comparable to any of the other rushdown characters?
There's no loop outside of running behind the projectile. Kotal is at his best once he's in close. Mixup or punish, that's where his best options lie.

His pressure is really, really good - but I don't play enough other characters to accurately rank it.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
So do you kotals think that he is solid now?
He still has some bad matchups, but I think he wins or is pretty even against most of the cast. He feels quicker now and he's safer to attack with.

gam224

The world's least hype player
He still has some bad matchups, but I think he wins or is pretty even against most of the cast. He feels quicker now and he's safer to attack with.
I can see that. Before the patch i would just zone kotal all day but after his buffs i was afraid of him cashing out on his charges and sunlight healing. Is blood god still bad?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The only problems I think Kotal had were vs characters he couldn't pressure on wakeup and that he got pressured by e.g goro, as well as zoners that had unpunishable for him 50-50s e.g kenshi.

gam224

The world's least hype player
The only problems I think Kotal had were vs characters he couldn't pressure on wakeup and that he got pressured by e.g goro, as well as zoners that had unpunishable for him 50-50s e.g kenshi.
Well it sounds like he is now solid to me. I look forward to seeing more and more Kotals. You guys deserve the buffs.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Really goro? who the heck have you been playing-low tiers are us? erm what about kung lau, cassie, liu kang, not to speak of shinnok that does 70%+ damage on kotal in his imposter variation because he can combo off the air grab meterless. Kotal still has some very bad matchups - he can't even wake up againts kung lau if kung does a cross-up jump 2 after a knockdown on kotal. Not to speak of the fact he has a low that you cant do anything with on hit apart from get a damage buff stack. He needs a low grab aswell like quanchi - sun god is meant to be like a grappler variation but the problem is he only has one grapple move.

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Really goro? who the heck have you been playing-low tiers are us? erm what about kung lau, cassie, liu kang, not to speak of shinnok that does 70%+ damage on kotal in his imposter variation because he can combo off the air grab meterless.
He doesn't/didn't lose as badly to those chars as he does against goro.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Kano is a bitch also. Noobe labbed my shit out and his hitbox was dumb. Anyone with an armored launcher faster then 10f is tough
Ive said for months that Kano secretly destroys kotal but no one figured it out because they are dumb.