What's new

Guide - Kotal Kahn The post-patch B1 metagame

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Cool. Oh, do you know if it's possible to get a grab immune strong out on a tick throw?
What do you mean by grab immune strong?

If you mean grab immune string or special, not unless its ex and has armour, at which point you're already fucked.

cheschifodisito

hit me up on psn: mr_diem
This patch gave a huge buff to Kotal's pressure with B1.

Here's how.

BASICS OF B1

Previously, you had 114 air throw which is +4 on block.

The B1 buff helped Kotal pin down his opponents and force them to respect B1, now he can do a throw, a tick throw, a sword mixup or more. Sun god should be a pure mindfuck with sun choke, War god should be playing tricks with his swords and Blood god should be scaring you with 114 crystal totem into a throw/oh/low.

@Hidan[

[QUOTE="Qwark28, post: 1882119, member: 3796"]This patch gave a huge buff to Kotal's pressure with B1.

Here's how.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]BASICS OF B1[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]

Previously, you had 114 air throw which is +4 on block.

B1 was a 10f "special" high in that a lot of crouching hitboxes and moves made it whiff. It was effectively 6f and would trade with a perfectly timed 6f normal.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]DEALING WITH B1[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]

Now, B1 is a 9f true mid and character who used to low profile it no longer can, nor can you trade with it if you time your 6f normal just right.

This means that after 114 air throw you cannot use a normal to escape the B1.

What about backdashes? I have tested the entire cast bar DLC and have found out that certain characters cannot do a reversal backdash without getting hit by B1 while others can but will be hit by B12. The characters that escape the B1 followup are none.

Those with long backdashes get hit by 2, everyone else by B1.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]ARMOURING THROUGH THE B1 STRING FAMILY[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]

Naturally, that means your only other option besides blocking is to armour through.

Why would you armour through? What does Kotal get from doing B1? All variations get to do Sunstone into 114 air throw off of any part of the string which does considerable chip ( 11%+ ) damage and builds a good amount of meter back, allowing it to loop up to 5 times if you don't stop it.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE METER TO ARMOUR THROUGH [/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]

You should armour on reaction to the sunstone. But, if you don't have meter you are forced to interrupt with a very fast normal, the timing is difficult and you may get hit as well as reap barely any reward. If you fail, that's 15% damage you got hit by.

Sun god makes this B1 mixup all the more deadly since he can tick throw after 1, 114 air throw, in between, after B1 etc. His variation is the only one where he forces you to commit to an armour read without giving you a react prompt.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]WHAT IF I AM METERLESS AND HAVE NO FAST MOVE OR DON'T WANT TO RISK GETTING HIT BY SUNSTONE?[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0FVYPlJ.gif[/IMG]

Expect to get chipped a ton until Kotal runs out of meter. A ton. Over 40%.

[B][I][U][COLOR=#ffffff]CONCLUSION
[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
[COLOR=#bfbfbf]If you want to escape the B1 string after you block a 114 air throw, you must exclusively armour. If you want to escape the sunstone mixups you must armour or poke them on reaction.

The B1 buff helped Kotal pin down his opponents and force them to respect B1, now he can do a throw, a tick throw, a sword mixup or more. Sun god should be a pure mindfuck with sun choke, War god should be playing tricks with his swords and Blood god should be scaring you with 114 crystal totem into a throw/oh/low.

[USER=6756]@Hidan

@Pnut[/COLOR]
@Mr Aquaman
@KeyserSoze
@UltraDavid
@RYX
@LeeVanDam
@mkl
@jeffreywolf
@BiPolarExxpress
how's that 114air throw +4 on block??[/user][/QUOTE]

E

Eldriken

Hm. I haven't been doing 114~df1 into b1 at all. I should probably start doing that. I normally use d1/d4.

E

Eldriken

that's what I meant. I see "114xxDF1, B1" all as one tool lol. So much more options using b1 than d1. I'll use d1 if online isn't allowing me the b1 . . . :(
I don't know why I never thought of using b1 after 114 pressure. It makes the most sense as it can lead to a lot more than a d1.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Where is the gap in the pressure for the poke. Is it before the 114 ?
114xxAir throw, b122(armor gap)xxEX sunstone. That is the most reliable and react-able place to armor. You could armor after the EX sun stone and the 114. Or in between air throw into b1. But of those options are more of a read and could lead to you getting punished.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
Sun god is so good, I really believe most of the community is in the dark in regards to how good he is. I've been playing the character as an alt since day one but after the patch I actually considered dropping jax for kk just because he seems to be more my style and he just so damn fun. Anyways, I was trying to prove to the BLT guys how good sun god is so I decided to finally use him in tournament. I ended up finally winning my first BLT weekly lol. Thank you kotal Kahn <3

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
114xxAir throw, b122(armor gap)xxEX sunstone. That is the most reliable and react-able place to armor. You could armor after the EX sun stone and the 114. Or in between air throw into b1. But of those options are more of a read and could lead to you getting punished.
There is no gap between EX sunstone into B1 unless you execute it wrong.

Parasurama

Dragon
Same but much tighter.
Thanks but you said that people with fast enough pokes could get out, just wanting to know if this type of pressure ever happens to me, where is the gap out of it, that does not need armor - fast poke and also since I am trying to work on a sun god myself.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Thanks but you said that people with fast enough pokes could get out, just wanting to know if this type of pressure ever happens to me, where is the gap out of it, that does not need armor - fast poke and also since I am trying to work on a sun god myself.
"You should armour on reaction to the sunstone. But, if you don't have meter you are forced to interrupt with a very fast normal"

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
"You should armour on reaction to the sunstone. But, if you don't have meter you are forced to interrupt with a very fast normal"
If your looking for un-armourable or un-pokable pressure with ex sunstone then in my experience- always start with S4 ex sunstone then 114 ex sunstone then b1 if they are mashing armour your b1 is -2 so you can block and bait n punish.

E

Eldriken

As in the b14 string? No. But that string is -17 on block so you should always do a fast armored move and you'll punish it either way regardless whether they canceled it into a special or not.
The in-game frame data is way off then if it's -17. :confused: I believe it says it's -10 in-game.