What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Different reasons for different people. Some people are extreme character loyalists. When the playstyle of their predetermined main doesn't necessarily suit their playstyle, they struggle to find a character that does.

For me personally, I just find the current roster incredibly unappealing. I have no interest in using Ferra Torr, Goro, Johnny Cage, Jax, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Jason, Sub Zero, Jacqui, Kenshi, or Shinnok. It limits things quite a bit, since that doesn't leave as many characters as I would like to explore playstyles.

Another reason is that out of some of the characters I haven't mentioned, some of the remaining ones aren't very good, and I don't want to just be another tier whore.. I'd rather the game have some variety.

So yeah. For me it's the cast. There are too many classic fan favorites that are not in this game, and instead there are horror movie guests, main character's kids, and new characters that I personally don't care for. Give me Smoke, Cyrax, Sektor, Kabal, Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Rain, Sindel, Skarlet, Jade, and Baraka (hell... just one..). Then I would have more interesting characters to choose a main from.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Last night Tyrant hardly used mid screen combos. The ones he did use were on the smaller side but he canceled into the BIG often to get some ass in the corner where he did work. Jaxs midscreen pressure is absolutely ridiculous! If he had easy mid screens he'd be almost too strong.

Because people are trying to learn characters and not the game... Kind of backwards.

Also people put way too much emotional emphasis on finding a "main" like its some sort of long term relationship that once they recite their vows they can't choose another character.
learning characters is learning the game. Run, knock down, juggle. Now that we learned the game lets pick a character we enjoy doing those things with. One that clicks for us and get really good with that character, we will use him the most. What is a good word for sucha character... oh its your main character. No contract. No vows, just a character you enjoy using above the rest. If you equally play and love sub zero and mileena, guess who your mains are. how is this an emotional emphasis...

Roz

"You will not be remembered."
I have a four mains, and then like 2 other people that i also play quite frequently. This was my solution to not being able to decide on just one character. The first day on release i decided i wanted to main Takeda and i still call him my main main. After seeing that Takeda was (kind of) bad when it came to meter less damage i moved on to Cassie. Im more of a rushdown aggressive player so Cassie fit me perfectly, you can just put continuous pressure on your opponent. Before the game came out i knew i would main Kang, i put this off so i could play around with a few different characters, started playing him yesterday and ill stick with him for awhile. In the time i was trying out characters i grew fond of Ferra/Torr, Raiden, Shinnok, Scorpion. My four mains are Takeda, Cassie, Kang, Raiden.

Conclusion: My point here is, this game came out two weeks ago and its very different from MK9. Maybe we arent supposed to have just one or two characters we're really good with, some MU just dont call for it. That being said, decide your play type, do some research here to see who would fit you the best, try them out. If you like more than a couple of characters and want to stick with them then do it, theres no rule stating you can only play one character, so we shouldnt treat it as such. Some of us play this game all day everyday, thats plenty of time to master more than few characters. Some of us have already came close to mastery and MKX has only been out a couple of weeks. CHILLLLLLLL

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I've literally given every character a shot in MKX. Everyone really does seem fun, but like MK9, I ended up back where I started with Ermac.

Play your favorite character and stick to them. At the very least, you'll at least learn how the game works and have a good grasp of how to play. If you decide to pick up other characters after the fact, so be it.

To be honest, unless the netcode is improved vastly soon (yeah right), I won't be putting much more time into this game. I have no one to play seriously with offline and the online is absolutely fucking atrocious. Sorry...this has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just angry.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I like to pick my mains based on good normals, and lack of popularity. That's why I was a day 1 Kung Jin. No one seemed to even give him a second glance, so once I saw that ranged staff on Kombat Kast I knew I wanted to at least put him in my top 3 to main.

Now everyone is fucking playing him and it rubs me the wrong way sooooo bad. Guess who else was on my short list...Quan Chi, Sub Zero, and Johnny Cage. FML.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I didn't play MK 9, and I'm shocked to see how easy characters are regarding execution. Kung Jin literally took 15 minutes and I was able to 50/50 into 36-44% damage with no execution barrier. Erron Black is the same way. I haven't learned matchups and scumbag gimmicks yet, but this game is very pick up and play as far as openers to bnbs go. It makes finding mains easier when the execution is (mostly) free and you can inmediately focus on the meta.

I tried everyone out and took the easy way out..

I settled on Buzz Saw Kung Lao and Covert Ops Sonya because they both feel similar to their MK9 versions. I felt at ease with them both and have been able to adjust to the MKX mechanics because of that.

I picked scorpion out of loyalty since mk1. He is awesome in this game. Just like mk9 though I feel like he's overused. In mk9 I switched to baraka and reptile. Man, I sure do miss baraka. I haven't found another rush down character in this that is as much fun to play for me. The roster is awesome in this, but I just can't decide. I might start tryin F/T out. Like others have said, it's still really early for this game though. Suggestions on some good rush down characters (other than Cassie)?

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I picked scorpion out of loyalty since mk1. He is awesome in this game. Just like mk9 though I feel like he's overused. In mk9 I switched to baraka and reptile. Man, I sure do miss baraka. I haven't found another rush down character in this that is as much fun to play for me. The roster is awesome in this, but I just can't decide. I might start tryin F/T out. Like others have said, it's still really early for this game though. Suggestions on some good rush down characters (other than Cassie)?
Erron Black outlaw

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Everybody wants to pick top tier and they are afraid to commit hours to a potentially trashy character.
WRONG.
The only thing you lose with playing a game is time from family / work / healthy activity which is lost whether you pick top tier or not.
Just play.

Mint

too weird to live, too rare to die
As soon as I saw Bojutsu on kombat kast I knew that was gonna be one of my mains. But it's really turned into my only main. I didn't realize how good he was going to end up being compared to the rest of the cast because that's all I was playing. I've tried other characters but they just don't click as well and so many characters are highly dependent on meter which is a turn off. So I've been having trouble findind more characters I enjoy playing with

J1gabyte

Noob
I'm still used to UMK3 mechanics. I was playing UMK3 every day up until a couple months ago. I played some MK9, but not a whole lot. Dash + BL = Run feels super awkward to me still. My right hand still wants to act like there's a dedicated run button. So I'm still trying to get used to the game's mechanics. I started out with Takeda, learning some of his bnbs and shit, and really liked how he felt... in practice mode. Then I played online and just got smashed repeatedly. I guess I tend to play a bit dumb and aggressive, but I'm trying to learn to be more patient and calculating. Takeda kind of forces you to be more careful, and it's making me a better player.

Then I picked up Jax, and he just kinda clicks. He lets me be aggressive, but he also has some zoning tools and shit if I need them.

I've tried a bunch of characters, but these are my main 2 right meow. I know for sure though that Kung Jin is the easiest to pick up and play.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Everybody wants to pick top tier and they are afraid to commit hours to a potentially trashy character.
WRONG.
The only thing you lose with playing a game is time from family / work / healthy activity which is lost whether you pick top tier or not.
Just play.
Tell that to October 2013 me when I lost $40 in 45 minutes with nerfed Black Adam money matches lol

Zeph

Noob
I'm coming from street fighter, what character would fit my playstyle the best?

I played Boxer, Claw the most, boxer being my best. Reliance on normals with moderate execution ceiling best describes boxer while, and a reliance on normals with a high execution barrier would describe claw.

Anyone fit those 2? I know the combo system is different but surely some characters can play a poke/zone game?

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads

I played Boxer, Claw the most, boxer being my best. Reliance on normals with moderate execution ceiling best describes boxer while, and a reliance on normals with a high execution barrier would describe claw.

Anyone fit those 2? I know the combo system is different but surely some characters can play a poke/zone game?
jax

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity

cybernetic kano has really good zoning and pokes. i think he may be your best bet