What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Why don't you just like, you know, go to training mode with some characters and mess around? I never understand these threads half the fun is finding the character.

Zeph

Noob
One other question, is there a way for us to set a custom resolution in a config file? I checked the userdata folder and the common folder and I couldnt find a config to edit. I like 1024x576 but the games closest is 1024x768, which feels too boxy.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
I always try to play who looks the most appealing based on design, moveset, and back story

Keeps me interested in the game regardless of what character is (the best)

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
I've played sub since MK2, it's more of Character loyalty in my case, but I really like his gameplay in MK9 and MKX,
klone is awesome:D and he got the tools to slow up the game, just lovely

Sareturu

Noob
Hi guys, i hope you can help me out, as i am still pretty new to MK, switching over from SF4.

As in every single game i played, i am never sure what character to spend my little time into to properly main.

In SF4, i liked the more agile characters like Juri/Chun/Viper, always resented the more slow characters and grapplers.

So, in MKX, i first tried my luck with Kung Jin, the issue in here is that this character just feels so ridicilously easy to use that it gives me no fun whatsoever. Every win feels undeserved as his combos just are too easy to pull off.

In complete comparison i dabbled around with D'vorah, but as i will mostly play online i simply can't get the Grenade-Runcancels out consistingly (even though most connections seem to run fine, maybe i am just panicking too much, too).

Currently most played char is Jacqui, i really like that girl. Her mixups are interesting... if i would get them out. When i feel Jacqui i just feel that i am absolutely defenseless against very aggressive, poking characters. I have trouble punishing with her F1 mid, and her T-Rex arms cause her normal 1 not to hit with nearly everyone, it annoys me so much :<. Executionwise i can handle her run-cancels just fine, though.

Hope you guys can give me an advice, my wishlist:
- None of the chars that "everyone" uses. (Scorpion, Sub-Zero)
- Being able to actually punish moves with a good mid-normal.
- High/Low-Mixup chars highly preferred, i enjoy making someone guess.

Thanks and regards!
Sareturu

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I would say go erron black, he is fairly fast, has god like mix ups, with his there are no 50/50s, for him, there are 33/33/33s, however a big downside is his optimal combos are pretty fucking tough to get the hang of at first but it isnt impossible to get them down. he also has some good zoning in Marksman and even better corner damage and rush down with outlaw, gunslinger has mediocre at best zoning and no combo potential but you can make damn near everything safe by going into his stand off stance however it is for nothing because it takes a while to cancel out of the stand off stance and his gun shots are not safe. but you can get extended mix ups with the low gunshots

Vjeekes

DevilApes
Kung Lao's Bojutsu is amazing, fast, nice mixups, good wakeup, cool combo's, good tools, cool "throw"-brutality :)

Sareturu

Noob
Give Cutthroat Kano a try. :)
Gotta say, i watched some Kano gameplay from insaynne, that looked really delicious. I might going to give him a try in the lab for a while.
I was worried about the setup for his dmg-buff, but it seems to be pretty easy to do after any combo that ends with ball in the corner.

Kung Lao's Bojutsu is amazing, fast, nice mixups, good wakeup, cool combo's, good tools, cool "throw"-brutality :)
Wat, Kung Lao Bojutsu? :p I think you mean Kung Jin, and as i said, he just feels.. uh.. too easy to master. I feel like a prick after a 20 winstreak with him >.>

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Gotta say, i watched some Kano gameplay from insaynne, that looked really delicious. I might going to give him a try in the lab for a while.
I was worried about the setup for his dmg-buff, but it seems to be pretty easy to do after any combo that ends with ball in the corner.
His buff is honestly optional, anyways. He's a complete character without it; it's up to you to decide if you want to spend meter or life on that risk. It's not a critical tool by any means, just a bonus to his overall kit. He's a well rounded character who's damn near frame neutral on everything, with a good 50/50 and fantastic corner carry. I think he's a sleeper!

Vjeekes

DevilApes

Wat, Kung Lao Bojutsu? :p I think you mean Kung Jin, and as i said, he just feels.. uh.. too easy to master. I feel like a prick after a 20 winstreak with him >.>
Lol, i'm sorry, I meant Kung Loa's Buzz Saw :)

Sareturu

Noob
I am glad you didn't pick kung jin.

I F'ing hate that he's probably my best character after like 20 minutes of training mode.
That is EXACTLY how i feel.. "Oh, i can do his low/overhead into BF3 into easyfucking combo and win 90% of my games online". That is no fun :<

But yea, once im back home im going to do some Kano lab-time, thanks a lot for the help

That is EXACTLY how i feel.. "Oh, i can do his low/overhead into BF3 into easyfucking combo and win 90% of my games online". That is no fun :<

But yea, once im back home im going to do some Kano lab-time, thanks a lot for the help
Yeah. I can't say how I feel about him though, because it's "LOL SALT CRY MORE LEARN THE GAME!" .... Even though I am the one using him and destroying people. I'm not mad about fighting against him, I'm disappointed that I can use him and win, recognizing that he's bullshit.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Try sonya! She has great mixup options (especially in covert ops with that military stance) , her run is really fast, and she's just a lot of fun!