What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Currently maining Ermac and he's a certainty. I enjoy playing as him and he is effective. For the sake of variety, I was wondering if there is a character who has a similar playstyle as Ermac, utilizing teleports and telekinesis. Or, a character completely different from Ermac who somehow complements his playstyle in a yin-yang way. Preferably, I would like examples from both criteria.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think playing for money is crazy. Way to take a fun game and turn it all serious and bitchy!

i've been having the same problems. i picked up Kung lao and buzz saw is too much fun. B2/B22 low hat is a good start to basic low/overhead mix ups and F23 is a good low starter, although on block F23 is full combo punished. You have to condition a standing opponent to block F21 which is safe on block if you cancel into teleport or low hat, so when they see F2 start, they won't change block stance.

you can make strings somewhat safe by cancelling into teleport and doing tele-3 or tele-4. Teleport 4 is +19 on -block- but doesn't allow for combos after it hits(hard knockdown)

Scorpion is surprisingly fun with mixups, but you said you wouldn't want to play him(i don't blame you, i'm the same with picking mycharacters.)

Raiden has overhead and low starters and gets great damage in the corner. His Thunder God variation is gdlk for building meter and chip damage.

Cassie Cage has high/low mixups as well and has an amazing punisher with B12-flip kick, as it's a fast advancing normal. Jax is similar with F2 i believe the button is.

if you look into it, a lot of characters have good overhead/low mixup games and a good handful have really great vortex games that work off of pure 50/50 or even 33/33/33 options. Erron Black also comes to mind. The fortunate thing is that all the characters really feel viable, and it's early enough in the games life that you can pick anyone and learn new stuff and bring tech to the table. It's up to you who like design wise. i recommend picking two different characters you like the look of and going into training mode and checking out their strings. You can swap control to P2 side and control the dummy and look up his move list as well, so you can maximize your time testing out what you like and don't like.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
This is a new game that is still deeper than we realize I think. Just my opinion, but when you do find a character, only stick to one for now. I can't see this being a "Jack of all trades game" this early on.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
So, in MKX, i first tried my luck with Kung Jin, the issue in here is that this character just feels so ridicilously easy to use that it gives me no fun whatsoever. Every win feels undeserved as his combos just are too easy to pull off.
Props for admitting this. I still make sure to remind all KJs this anyway, especially after they lose.

Try sonya! She has great mixup options (especially in covert ops with that military stance) , her run is really fast, and she's just a lot of fun!
My thoughts exactly, but she might be too popular these days for a MK hipster Iike the OP. I mained her before she got big though, so I'm like, cooler than all these new Sonyas, or something.

All joking aside, she is a good choice with a deep, multi-tiered hi/lo mixup game.

Snoop

hey
I picked Kung Jin by randm first time with my friend and I was doing his average combo from that air kick from first seconds so I found that boring and don't pick him again lol
what about agility reptile?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Ye thank you guys for the tips. I played today Jax a bit and I like him and also I have farmer costume unlocked from my phone... so I need to play him! :D
Looks like I will pick him. BUT the mid-combos are too hard, even offline

well I'm not going to be on pro level or tournament. Just some online play, which is easier ofc. I'm winning most of the matches with Raiden now, but the players are really bad now too. Fun is the main factor

Something you could do with relative ease to mix things up would be to learn Raiden's other variations. Master of Storms especially is so damn fun online, if you have an orb already on the screen you can throw out some unsafe stuff and cancel into another orb on block, often times your opponent will try to punish and get blown up giving you a free superman or full combo. If you land that unsafe string/whatever, you can hit confirm into full combo or cancel into orb anyway and you will be at advantage because they have to respect the orb chain.

Raiden does have a lot of really easy 1 meter combos that do a ton of damage, many of them can even be done without utilizing run cancels, which is maybe where the "natural" feeling you are getting is coming from. Scorpion is a lot like that, but I'd recommend finding a character that offers a change of pace and his a different game plan. Erron Black outlaw variation is relatively easy to pick up and is very fun.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
I've been absolutely loving Mileena. Easy enough combos both online and offline.

Maybe go into practice and try this out:
(Piercing variation) B12, BD4, NJ2, B212+4. Really easy 30% meterless. Maybe you'll find it fun and keep going with her like I did. She's the funnest character I've found so far.

So I am maining Takeda, specifically using his Ryu variation. However, I struggle hard against hard rush down characters due to slow start ups. I am also finding it hard to escape the corner where I just get beat down. Any suggestions for a back up character for these bad match ups? I was thinking about using the Quan Cheese. Also, I do not want to use Kung Jin I feel that he may get nerfed to the ground. Thank you.

Been thinking the same things myself. I love Takeda's Shirai variant but it just loses out to way too many. I keep thinking of going back to Reptile as I main'd him in MK9 but he just feels lackluster in X