What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

Jolt

Uprise
@YOMI RM SaltFace got our girl into Top 8 again tonight, he's in losers and going against Hitbox Tyrant tomorrow. Should be pretty hype. Saltface, we all wish you the best. Keep representing! Your Mileena army is behind you, and hopefully you won't be alone in tournaments soon. As always, excellent performances.

Wish I could give you some tips on the Tremor matchup, but I don't play any DJT level Tremors. Either way man, keep doing your thing.

P.S. We're glad they finally let you out of jail, Sinbad (Haha, sorry couldn't resist)

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Tell me if this tweak makes sense or is even possible: is there a way d3 to be made longer?

D4 has a bunch of pushback and cancelling into a roll needs super precise timing.

I ask because I was playing some casuals and one of the tips I was told was to poke more. Can't poke anyone without unsafely getting in their poke range and risk the chance that most characters seem to have a larger window of opportunity to combo off a d4.

Or does anyone have tips for poking?

Jolt

Uprise
Tell me if this tweak makes sense or is even possible: is there a way d3 to be made longer?

D4 has a bunch of pushback and cancelling into a roll needs super precise timing.

I ask because I was playing some casuals and one of the tips I was told was to poke more. Can't poke anyone without unsafely getting in their poke range and risk the chance that most characters seem to have a larger window of opportunity to combo off a d4.

Or does anyone have tips for poking?
I think our pokes just need to be made faster to make up for their stubby range. The advantage off a successful one is good, but getting a successful poke in with Mileena is rough ESPECIALLY since people tend to play so defensively against her. If they block low, all our pokes are invalidated anyway lol. I wish we could get a +on block poke like Takeda

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Try whiff punishing. You can do this 2 ways by standing out of their poke range then moving back in to catch their recovery frames (or if your poke outrages theirs you can throw it from outside that range) or you can try to catch their poke while it's still active this depends entirely on your pokes hit and hurtbox as well as the opponents.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Try whiff punishing. You can do this 2 ways by standing out of their poke range then moving back in to catch their recovery frames (or if your poke outrages theirs you can throw it from outside that range) or you can try to catch their poke while it's still active this depends entirely on your pokes hit and hurtbox as well as the opponents.
Bro do you know the type of read and reaction time I'd have to make to punish these pokes? These guys aren't "random poke" guys lol. When I'm skilled enough to make that read I'm going for f3.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to best utilize my pokes if they cannot be fixed or see how you guys are utilizing your pokes. Maybe I need to work on canceling my d4 but I'm struggling with making it "my turn" - I see pokes as fundamentals needed to control space and help make it "my turn". I've been caught so many times trying to poke out of pressure by somehow being to far away despite them being in my face or the move seeming to react slow as some have covered.

Jolt

Uprise
Bro do you know the type of read and reaction time I'd have to make to punish these pokes? These guys aren't "random poke" guys lol. When I'm skilled enough to make that read I'm going for f3.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to best utilize my pokes if they cannot be fixed or see how you guys are utilizing your pokes. Maybe I need to work on canceling my d4 but I'm struggling with making it "my turn" - I see pokes as fundamentals needed to control space and help make it "my turn". I've been caught so many times trying to poke out of pressure by somehow being to far away despite them being in my face or the move seeming to react slow as some have covered.
I'm not sure it is ever TRULY Mileena's turn (aside from once we finally score a knockdown) we have negative frames ALL OVER. Once we get blocked (and we WILL), all momentum is over. The best thing we can do is occasionally end strings early when people are expecting the rest to get a few extra plus frames (since they weren't ready to react).

I think what @Nu-Skoool was trying to say though is basically to stay out of THEIR poke range. As long as you don't get hit by the poke, they have enough recovery that we get some time to act and in some cases punish the recovery.

Our pokes aren't going to help much, I COMPLETELY agree with you there. But if we can block or whiff punish THEIR pokes, we are in business with some b2 counters (I think it should cover the range of most pokes) or even a roll if we're making risky reads. If a roll ends up trading, we win the trade in most situations.

Well, MKX poke recovery frames are worse than that of say, Street Fighter, and people "react" to those. Although it's not really reacting so much as scouting where your opponent wants to poke. (F3 won't help if it's a mid poke) D4s tend to have a bit of recovery to them on whiff. Enough to where Roll can even punish a lot of them. Running will get you in range quickly for a D3/D4 (her D1 is just ass). Low Sai is good for a midrange low if they are moving in their "comfort zone".

If you just mean poking out of pressure, then yeah she's kinda screwed and has to rely on Roll as her fastest move. Mixing up special cancels on block also helps keep it "your turn". Especially if you have meter for armor. Piercing has a 50/50 with meter using Low Sai/EX Roll.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair

Watch the following match of mine at the 5:46 mark
You can see me utilizing both types whiff punishes multiple times. Not just with pokes but my own fireballs. Some whiff punishes were on reaction, other ones I delayed my whiff punish when I anticipated his button press.
In MKX moves are slower but recovery slower where in SF moves recover quicker but also startup quicker, generally, so it's all relative and the concepts carry over.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
So there is something my training partner discovered which nullifies the tele kick xx air sai game. I'm not sure how it works across the cast but with Scorpion it seems when he blocks a tele kick all he has to do is walk forward and no matter how low you throw your air sai it will always whiff. Might be a game changer, might not be since its something that always was risky and full combo punishable anyway. Just thought I should let you guys know

Jolt

Uprise
So there is something my training partner discovered which nullifies the tele kick xx air sai game. I'm not sure how it works across the cast but with Scorpion it seems when he blocks a tele kick all he has to do is walk forward and no matter how low you throw your air sai it will always whiff. Might be a game changer, might not be since its something that always was risky and full combo punishable anyway. Just thought I should let you guys know
I've experienced this, but never had anyone do it intentionally! My partner has done it a few times and I've had it happen online. Most notably, it happens to me from Jax. I thought it was odd that the sai whiffed (Because it appeared to hit him) but it definitely happens.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I think that the hurtbox on air sais might need a little work anyway though.

One thing I like to mess around with (especially since I have a Hitbox now) is starter~roll instant air sai. Particularly with 123~roll iAS, you'll get plenty of situations (if you don't get the sai low enough) where it seems to make contact but whiffs. I decided not to mention it since I hadn't found any practical combos with that setup anyway.

Maybe we need to rally for some iAS hurtbox adjustments and slightly faster recovery

Oh yeah, I knew about that. Not the WALKING forward part, but pretty much anything that moves them forward the sai whiffs. Even if they are visually hit in the face. Jacqui can do her jab, or her F2, or her b2 and the sai just goes past her as if she ducked under it. Grabs work too.

Something is wrong with the collision on air sais in general. Sometimes it whiffs completely in the corner after EX Telekick/Anti-Air telekick if you do it without a major delay. It's not really a gamechanger because, as you said, you'll generally be punished anyway. But the point of mixing up air sai to be safer is lost.

TheGabStandard

I've experienced this, but never had anyone do it intentionally! My partner has done it a few times and I've had it happen online. Most notably, it happens to me from Jax. I thought it was odd that the sai whiffed (Because it appeared to hit him) but it definitely happens.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I think that the hurtbox on air sais might need a little work anyway though.

One thing I like to mess around with (especially since I have a Hitbox now) is starter~roll instant air sai. Particularly with 123~roll iAS, you'll get plenty of situations (if you don't get the sai low enough) where it seems to make contact but whiffs. I decided not to mention it since I hadn't found any practical combos with that setup anyway.

Maybe we need to rally for some iAS hurtbox adjustments and slightly faster recovery
That might be a point. Tested it on a couple of characters and Lao and Kitana can do the same thing in just walking forward. With Sonya it's where it gets a little complex.

If Sonya blocks tele kick and the sai aims for her forehead then the sai will whiff if she walks forward. If she blocks a tele kick standing, then a sai aimed for the face/neck area will always hit. But if she crouch blocks the tele kick then the face/neck sai will whiff by walking forward.

This might be another vs the roster topic

TheGabStandard

Oh yeah, I knew about that. Not the WALKING forward part, but pretty much anything that moves them forward the sai whiffs. Even if they are visually hit in the face. Jacqui can do her jab, or her F2, or her b2 and the sai just goes past her as if she ducked under it. Grabs work too.

Something is wrong with the collision on air sais in general. Sometimes it whiffs completely in the corner after EX Telekick/Anti-Air telekick if you do it without a major delay. It's not really a gamechanger because, as you said, you'll generally be punished anyway. But the point of mixing up air sai to be safer is lost.
I agree with the collision of air sai as it used to annoy me in the corner when it whiffed. I had seen it whiff before due to an animation like a grab etc but when my friend started walking forward I was like, is this a thing? Turns out it is which is sad. I guess it just means the mix up of air sai can just be used as a test to see if an opponent knows or not if a telekick is blocked

I agree with the collision of air sai as it used to annoy me in the corner when it whiffed. I had seen it whiff before due to an animation like a grab etc but when my friend started walking forward I was like, is this a thing? Turns out it is which is sad. I guess it just means the mix up of air sai can just be used as a test to see if an opponent knows or not if a telekick is blocked
Well the blockstun on Telekick and Telekick~Airsai should be different I think. So was he just walking forward all the time? or just on reaction to air sai?
If it was all the time you may be able to get away with telekick by itself... maybe

Jolt

Uprise
Well, let's start making some videos and get ourselves some fixes! I think everyone can agree that it isn't just things ducking the sai since a simple walk-forward is enough.

Hopefully it will also fix the corner combos with air sai. I don't think we have any other possible bugs that need to be looked at. Or at least nothing comes to mind immediately. Sometimes U3 doesn't come out if you do a forward input before it, but I think I'm being nitpicky there lol

Well, let's start making some videos and get ourselves some fixes! I think everyone can agree that it isn't just things ducking the sai since a simple walk-forward is enough.

Hopefully it will also fix the corner combos with air sai. I don't think we have any other possible bugs that need to be looked at. Or at least nothing comes to mind immediately. Sometimes U3 doesn't come out if you do a forward input before it, but I think I'm being nitpicky there lol
There's still the X-Ray bug. But I don't know if there's much that can be done about it.

TheGabStandard

Well the blockstun on Telekick and Telekick~Airsai should be different I think. So was he just walking forward all the time? or just on reaction to air sai?
If it was all the time you may be able to get away with telekick by itself... maybe
Will give it a try next time I play him.

I have a video recorded of it happening but had to go so didn't get a chance to post it. Will try to tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it

Will give it a try next time I play him.

I have a video recorded of it happening but had to go so didn't get a chance to post it. Will try to tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it
I won't be able to record anything at least till the weekend. It might be good to show off different characters like Lao, Sonya, etc. Or maybe Predator and Kotal since they're tall as shit, lol.

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
What's up guys. I finally got some free time to write in here & tell you about TFC. While I managed to get another Top 8 for our Empress I will tell you I'm sick of 7th. While yes getting Top 8 is good in all I've lost count on how many times I've gotten there & not delivered.

I won't lie when I fought Tyrant I felt lost in the Jax match-up due to my huge lack of experience in it at high level. Also I feel cursed whenever I play on the Team Spooky stream. In all my years I've never won a single game on that stream & it's kinda been in my head lately.

Well anyways I'm going back to the grind to get Mileena her well deserved major win (goes back to the mountains).